Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 am 
This also makes me wonder how much time has passed in the Sluggyverse. It must be less than the twenty years in our time.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:18 am 
FullMetalArchivist wrote:
I'm glad Torg brought that up; I was worried that the explanation was going to be that Oasis was remotely controlled by a computer, but there are so many problems with that, even taking into account that unrealistic-for-the-time A.I. is pretty common in Sluggy (see: Brain Digbot, Mecha Easter Bunny).

The Digbots are futuretech, and Mecha Easter Bunny is Holiday Godtech.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:33 am 
garyfritz wrote:
FullMetalArchivist wrote:
I'm glad Torg brought that up; I was worried that the explanation was going to be that Oasis was remotely controlled by a computer, but there are so many problems with that, even taking into account that unrealistic-for-the-time A.I. is pretty common in Sluggy (see: Brain Digbot, Mecha Easter Bunny).

Also see: at the time Torg thought Oasis was a robot. So at the time he was willing to believe in a mecha/computer implementation.

Yeah, there's a lot of logical inconsistencies with Torg's reasoning here. Especially since he believed the robot option possible previously, and because this is a multiverse where travel to and from different dimensions with different levels of technology, as well as time travel, are both possible. Oh well. If it leads us to the truth I guess...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 am 
Thecommander369 wrote:
I think it has to be something more than just that. After all, if a tracer and transponder transfers between Oasis's bodies, then the clones aren't pre-made. Any ways, this is all fascinating.

To be honest I find the tracer/transponder thing really confusing. As I understand it, Schlock was desperate for one piece to be installed at Steve's base lab and one piece on Oasis herself. But to what end I have no idea. If it was all about using it to determine Oasis' location when she was reborn, thus finding the rebirth facility in the process, then yes, it follows that the transponder carries forward from body to body. But whether that was the intended function - who knows. Plus it would be rendered moot since they now know where the facility is thanks to the Hemovirlen isotope.

Or the tracer/transponder could have some other purpose I suppose - Chen implanted "something" in Oasis' head, but what...?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:49 am 
gilotyna wrote:
What exactly is under "nosce te ipsum" there? It could be a mirror or... a window? Showing the inside of O.A.S.I.S.? Know thyself indeed.

Mirror. It's the next logical step.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:05 pm 
Thecommander369 wrote:
I think it has to be something more than just that. After all, if a tracer and transponder transfers between Oasis's bodies, then the clones aren't pre-made. Any ways, this is all fascinating.

Last tracer/transponder. For some reason, it appears as though they had to be applied to different Oasis bodies. Although perhaps there was some other reason it couldn't be done before.

Bunny Suction wrote:
If it was all about using it to determine Oasis' location when she was reborn, thus finding the rebirth facility in the process, then yes, it follows that the transponder carries forward from body to body. But whether that was the intended function - who knows. Plus it would be rendered moot since they now know where the facility is thanks to the Hemovirlen isotope.

I don't think the Hemovirlen isotope had much of anything to do with finding the rebirth facility other than notifying Schlock when Oasis was approaching their base. Pretty sure it was just satellite imaging. I also doubt the transponder was to find the rebirth facility for the reasons you mentioned. There'd be no reason to apply the last one after finding the rebirth facility, and whether Chen did or did not apply one, he was clearly instructed to. The purpose of the tracer/transponder is tied to the Schlock Triangle, but we still don't really know what that's about.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:32 pm 
Bunny Suction wrote:
they now know where the facility is thanks to the Hemovirlen isotope.

If planted radioactive atoms were transferred from one Oasis body to the next, then there's definitely more to this than a bunch of pre-made clones controlled by a computer.

By the way, a person would have to be awfully radioactive to emit enough gamma radiation that a satellite hundreds of kilometers away could take a bearing.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:34 pm 
Spoiler: show
Oasis is living magitek armour.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:44 pm 
No spec here, but the theory they're putting forward in this strip can't be right. We've seen Oasis come back from the dead immediately, on the same location, in the same body. Unless that particular headshot didn't kill her, or unless that memory is wrong, or unless bla bla bla whatever, but that's some serious Occam's Razor stuff...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:00 pm 
Torg is on point Today

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:26 pm 
Zillatain wrote:
Complaint of the day...
Sure hope we will get editing control back to our forum profiles, (or for some reason I can't find it). It keeps displaying my Yahoo Mesanger ID under my avatar and I haven't used/checked that thing in years and I would like to remove it. I suspect other members have similar things they would like to change.

On the forum page, at the top, just above "Board Index >>"... blah, blah is a line in small print that says: "User Control Panel Forum Private messages [0] Members Search FAQ" Click on that first one (User Control Panel), and you should be able to figure it out from there...

I apparently have "No Friends Online" and "No Friends Offline". :-( WAAAH. I'm so lonely. :-(

Your original complaint of the day - which I had come back in to reply to - was about the 'useless'ness of the calendar. I thought that you could at least use the calendar to go backwards one day (or two or three) depending on how long you may have missed. At least until we get a "Back" button... But apparently we don't yet have a "Back" button for the same reason that the calendar is 'useless' and the transcription page of NiftySearch doesn't quite work - and that's the "pointing mechanism" is still not quite working.... Today it randomly stuck me at the beginning of the chapter (not subchapter - chapter; this chapter is loooooooooong...) - it took me several minutes (yes, minutes) to scroll to today's comic. When I went back in a second time to lock the transcript, the random point put me significantly closer to today's comic - but still several off. The calendar appears to work the same way? I'm sure they're getting there.... But right now it seems like it's getting farther away from ideal - perhaps because this chapter is becoming so unwieldy...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:24 pm 
alphacow wrote:
No spec here, but the theory they're putting forward in this strip can't be right. We've seen Oasis come back from the dead immediately, on the same location, in the same body. Unless that particular headshot didn't kill her, or unless that memory is wrong, or unless bla bla bla whatever, but that's some serious Occam's Razor stuff...

Assuming your link worked correctly, it wasn't the same body. The old Oasis body was one of the two bodies in Strom's trunk before it was blown up.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:02 pm 
dribble4all wrote:
gilotyna wrote:
What exactly is under "nosce te ipsum" there? It could be a mirror or... a window? Showing the inside of O.A.S.I.S.? Know thyself indeed.

Mirror. It's the next logical step.

Maybe but I'm not sure how that image inside of it works as a reflection.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:14 pm 
alphacow wrote:

I don't think she was back from the dead there, but I do think it leaves some explaining to do.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:11 pm 
Is this the first time the series has called attention to the floating timeline like this?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions