Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:25 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Did you know it's hard to type when you have a migraine? It is.

Okay a complaint...

Logically, you are all giving Friday a migraine. Stop that.

Kitchen Sink Link

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics. Remember to vote EACH day.
Thu=[#132 +0 *802]
Fri=[#131 +1 *820]

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:39 am 
Hey, Daedalus. "Deadels"? Also, the father of Ikaros of course. Daedalus was a master craftsman; in the myth he built a temple, invented masts and sails for the Minos navy, and made wooden statues so life-like that they actually came alive.

Daedalus was also terribly jealous of his sister's son, also a great inventor; out of jealousy Daedalus killed him by causing him to fall from the Acropolis. How fitting that the later Daedalus would die through a fall.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:46 am 
Crap this is gonna be something quantum isn't it. Quantum gives me sour tummy.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:54 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
We're assuming Daedalous is dead.

We're also assuming the dig-bots made the shaft wide enough as well. Yes, it's most likely a mile deep, but is it that width all the way down?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:33 am 
Zillatain wrote:

We're also assuming the dig-bots made the shaft wide enough as well. Yes, it's most likely a mile deep, but is it that width all the way down?

I'm assuming that once the structural integrity of the base breaks down, the with of the shaft doesn't matter.
There are, of cause, other ways to survive a fall. Those I can think of require you to be nearby one of several types of equipment.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:54 am 
So many of people's specs coming into fruition!

And I totally don't trust Chen. He is explaining too much in too much detail.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:36 am 
Zillatain wrote:

You only need to drop a building a meter before the top pancakes everything below it - building fail in earthqaukes with much less vertical movement (let alone earth below the foundations turning to liquid). Anyone in the complex is dead - the sheer kinetic energy released sees to it - you are talkign about several 10's of thousands of tons and once it's released it aint stopping until eveything is rubble. A mile long shaft is extreme overkill to say the least to cause complete inescapeable destruction, I worked out in an earlier post 100 meters drop presuming a building mass of 50,000 ton gives you enough kinetic energy to match 11 ton of TNT.

Now it's not unresonable to suggest Herenti Corp's base was much, much heavier - well lets match it with the Empire State Building at 365,000 ton. Energy in 100 meters fall? 357,700,000,000 joules or 85 ton of TNT. And lets say the full 1600 meters? 1300 Tons or a weak nuke.

The only way Daedelous is alive is if he wasnt there or there's a rebirth involved. No one in that complex is alive by any stretch

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:26 am 
Wasn't there could include escaped by DFA. Although I feel into the camp of the Zappo being a random misfire, it's still possible someone escaped that way.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 am 
Even so, I doubt hC ever got Riff's return remote -- nor would anyone have had a chance to grab one. Unless it was included in a Condor or FireQuacker or something. The Zappo was outside, on one of the terraces, so I assumed it was an REA with a DFA. Of course if that was the case, it could have just flown away instead of Zappo-ing to a random dimension...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:57 am 
garyfritz wrote:
Even so, I doubt hC ever got Riff's return remote -- nor would anyone have had a chance to grab one. Unless it was included in a Condor or FireQuacker or something. The Zappo was outside, on one of the terraces, so I assumed it was an REA with a DFA. Of course if that was the case, it could have just flown away instead of Zappo-ing to a random dimension...

I doubt Shlock wants one of those. After all, if he created a return remote, his enemies could reverse engineer it. He would never be able to banish them to keep himself safe.

randomlanguage wrote:
So many of people's specs coming into fruition!

And I totally don't trust Chen. He is explaining too much in too much detail.

You know, all Chen has to do to get out of here alive is to not be a jerk to Torg and then he can go free. If he's at all smart, then he won't be trapped Torg a second time and maybe he can walk away from this.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:35 pm 
Marcus wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

You only need to drop a building a meter before the top pancakes everything below it - building fail in earthqaukes with much less vertical movement (let alone earth below the foundations turning to liquid). Anyone in the complex is dead - the sheer kinetic energy released sees to it - you are talkign about several 10's of thousands of tons and once it's released it aint stopping until eveything is rubble. A mile long shaft is extreme overkill to say the least to cause complete inescapeable destruction, I worked out in an earlier post 100 meters drop presuming a building mass of 50,000 ton gives you enough kinetic energy to match 11 ton of TNT.

Now it's not unresonable to suggest Herenti Corp's base was much, much heavier - well lets match it with the Empire State Building at 365,000 ton. Energy in 100 meters fall? 357,700,000,000 joules or 85 ton of TNT. And lets say the full 1600 meters? 1300 Tons or a weak nuke.

The only way Daedelous is alive is if he wasnt there or there's a rebirth involved. No one in that complex is alive by any stretch

Fun analysis. But if Indiana Jones can survive a nuclear blast in a fridge, Pete could find a way to make anyone survive a falling building.

garyfritz wrote:
Even so, I doubt hC ever got Riff's return remote

Didn't HC INVENT the return remote for Sasha in secret?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:33 pm 
garyfritz wrote:

People are assuming that the zappo was a zap into an alternate dimension. I keep on remember New guy.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:42 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
garyfritz wrote:
Even so, I doubt hC ever got Riff's return remote

Didn't HC INVENT the return remote for Sasha in secret?

No, Schlock did. Remember, Schlock stole Riff's technology. What Sasha was trying to "tinker" was a 'remote' that would find someone after they've been Zappo'd - which is different than taking one with you so that you can get back. And Schlock probably gave her that as well...

Spoiler: show
If the "Zappo" during the collapse wasn't a random accident, then someone must have stolen it and/or had it smuggled. There is no way that Schlock was going to let someone else have it (other than perhaps his innermost trusted circle, and Daedalus certainly did not fit into that).

That last comment was probably a little too close to the spec line - I hope the spoiler tag is sufficient....

ramoss wrote:
People are assuming that the zappo was a zap into an alternate dimension. I keep on remember New guy.

Newguy/Tyler never let on to anyone - other than Drake - that the experiment worked and was anything other than torture...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:05 pm 
Anybody notice the heretofore faceless guy with the goofy hat yesterday and the shadowy figure in today's strip are both called Roberts? And while we're at it, Roberts is a rebirth.

I don't know how much farther I can take this line of reasoning without it becoming speculation.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:00 pm 
I haven't a clue what you're getting at. It sounds like you're just stating the obvious. I don't think it's spec to say Roberts that Chen is talking about is the same Roberts we've known all along.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions