Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:18 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Since the auction only happens every 20 years, I thought it should have a place to talk about it.

Brag you got something, lament you have no money, talk about death cameos, what it would be like to have your very own Pawn, or whatever.

Okay, me first. I'm not going to bid on anything, there is no way I can afford to bid. A death cameo (or pawn) would be interesting but there is not much interesting about my human form to make anyone believe me if I pointed it out. Oh well.

As for art...never could win any when there was only one piece, let alone 20.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:47 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Pete has allowed cameo winners to "gift" them to other people. Perhaps you could give it to someone with more memorable features? =)

I've often scratched my head at people who want to win the death cameos. I am somewhat tempted to bid but I can't help feeling he should have offered a safe cameo along with the others.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:30 am 
It's more the money than the looks problem. And as expected, all of them look like they will go way over what I'm willing to pay way before the deadline. Though the Pawns are not rising as fast. So maybe if they don't go as high. That's a possibility, not likely, but a possibility.

Yeah, I don't understand why they all have to be death cameos. Have some walk-by cameos, in background, or something. Watch he'll have all ten people at some convention somewhere and it blows up, collapses, or whatever and kills them all off in one panel.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:43 am 
Death cameos are a Sluggy tradition! Who wouldn't want to die in a comic, that's the real question :bunbun:
I'm just gonna wait in the wings and see if there's anything worth sniping right before it ends.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:16 am 
I hope to get something not too expensive... but I sense the prices will rise a bit too much. Still a few weeks to go.

I'm looking at it as something akin to defender's of the nifty. Give pete a few $$ as thanks for the many years of free content. That said, I can't afford the artwork either. Lol. Maybe if I SAW which pieces I'd be getting i'd be more inclined...

It would really be a nice gesture if a death cameo and a pawn each had a free draw. Or a $2 raffle prize at least for those who don't want to, or can't spend a whole lot.

Those 'buy it now' prices are simply insane. I'm guessing someone from the 20+ crew is experienced with 'free to play microtransactions'. ($60 dollars ends up buying you 3-4 characters who become useless in a few weeks time. Lol)

But i suppose if someone wants to pay it, all the more power to him. I always wondered what kind of $$ Pete makes in a year, lol. Poor cartoonist or well-off internet dude.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:52 pm 
Those "Win it Now" prices may be insane, but apparently not insane enough. The $600 and the $900 are gone. Honestly I think the $1200 may also go the same way, which averages out to $60 per piece. $1500 I'm not so sure about.

I doubt I will win anything but you never know. I did bid on one Cameo and Pawn, but...there's more than 2 weeks left... Nope.

The more I think about it, the more I do not like how he set this up. I think the "Win it Nows" and the auctions should of been separate. Also having multiples of the exact same thing starting and ending at the same time. Should of been staggered and for a shorter amount of time for each one. Two and a half weeks is too long. If someone lost one they would bid on another.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:19 pm 
Lol. I'm a big fan, but not $1000 big fan. Haha.

Oh well. Not a perfect bidding system, but they made a bit of effort anyway. I'm not gonna hold that against them.

I've already been outbid on everything but a pawnz. Too rich for my poor wallet. But I'm not about to start complaining after 20 years of free comics! I bet most of this $$ goes into the 20+ stuff and/or Leah's college fund.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:37 am 
How do I follow the auction in the new site?

Daniel

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:16 pm 
DanQ wrote:
How do I follow the auction in the new site?

Daniel
They are apparently having problems getting it to work correctly with the new site and had to remove it for the time being.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:07 pm 
The site update really slowed down the auctions. That, mixed with the now lack of daily updates driving traffic to the site seems to have killed it. Unfortunate.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:20 pm 
I also think a problem is where it is located. It's below the strip, when previously it was above and much more visible.

Of course we do still have a week to go. Who knows, I may end up winning the one thing I figured I would of been outbid on by now. And I'm not bidding much.

Well... I looked a little closer and it's not hanging on by much now, so I don't think so.

Edit:
And...I'm out now.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:43 am 
Decided to bid on a Pawnz again, but ended up being outbid by a $1 with less than a minute left. Oh well...again.

Final count:
20 Year Artwork
    $3556
  • 600 + 900 + 625 + 800 + 631
Death Cameo
    $2549
  • 400 + 550 + 357 + 167 + 200 + 170 + 165 + 170 + 190 + 180
Custom Pawn
  • $579
  • 200 + 26 +30 + 30 + 30 + 25 + 26 + 26 + 30 + 25 + 26 + 25 + 30 + 25 + 25

Total = $6684

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:32 pm 
That's almost tuition for a semester in the US for Leah.
Oh? It's not even close? Hmm. Good luck, Americans.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions