Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:35 pm 
Yeah, but faster than light travel is also impossible by the Theory of Relativity, but that doesn't stop people from writing stories about it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:40 pm 
AOL: legato723
its ok but i want more average sluggy

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:25 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: styx326
AOL: drummeronthemoon
[Sutherland]Events occur in real time [/Sutherland]

I like the shiny gadgets :kiki:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:48 pm 
Quote:
Some people seem to be getting the point here, but a lot of people are missing it. A real-time map is impossible due to Einstein's theory of relativity. The fact that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light means that it's impossible to kinow what happened one second ago at a distance of 2c (the distance light would travel in 2 seconds).

See... this is why the wormholes would be useful. Things travel through wormholes at many times a faster rate than anything else. These things include radio waves (or whatever it is they use for communication of data at that time or whatever). That's why you'd keep the apparatus wave functions open. You'd send you little bots there and they'd communicate the data through the wormhole.

Quote:
While in the archives, did you notice a strip where Riff's assistant is sending his "apparatuses"? I seem to remember a panel like that, but it was a long time ago. If you know any thing please let me know.

The only strips we've seen his assistant in is where he asks her to send him a bunch of stuff, but it was "liquidated", and the one where he explains how her family was lost to vampires... in a game of poker

That's all I can remember, anyways. There may be more, but I need to go set fire to another pan. I'm quite hungry :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:24 pm 
Man, got to love a comic where you have a cute chick in short/tight clothes and the words "roleplay" and "neckties." :sasha:

Trisped wrote:
While in the archives, did you notice a strip where Riff's assistant is sending his "apparatuses"? I seem to remember a panel like that, but it was a long time ago. If you know any thing please let me know.

Would that make her an apparat-chick? :torg:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:04 pm 
Beausabre wrote:
Trisped wrote:

Would that make her an apparat-chick? :torg:

That's *terrible*. :pun:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:44 pm 
Location: We dine well here in Camelot. We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.
Beausabre Wrote:

Quote:
Would that make her an apparat-chick?

*groan*

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:01 am 
Bad Artist wrote:
Quote:
Some people seem to be getting the point here, but a lot of people are missing it. A real-time map is impossible due to Einstein's theory of relativity. The fact that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light means that it's impossible to kinow what happened one second ago at a distance of 2c (the distance light would travel in 2 seconds).

See... this is why the wormholes would be useful. Things travel through wormholes at many times a faster rate than anything else. These things include radio waves (or whatever it is they use for communication of data at that time or whatever). That's why you'd keep the apparatus wave functions open. You'd send you little bots there and they'd communicate the data through the wormhole.

Its not clear she can create a wormhole that matter can travel through--so far, it seems to be a property of the wave. So she may not be able to send probes. It is possible to use it for faster than light communication though.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:22 am 
Yahoo Messenger: ramdraogn
[Too-Much-Free-Time] Technically, utilizing wormholes is not a way to break the speed of light barrier, just a way to circumvent it. Kind of like how you cannot be ticketed for speeding if you are driving through a corn-field.

Energy transition through wormholes theoretically bypasses three-dimensional space itself. One looking at Kata’s waveform may ask themselves how the wave got from here to there, but that person would be asking the wrong question. The waveform didn’t “go” from here to there, it was simply here, and then it was there. No space was transversed, no time elapsed.

There was a few years ago a successful creation of a wormhole in a lab. I believe it was in Australia, and I think it was three to five years ago if you’re looking it up. Anyway, after pumping enough energy into the wormhole generator to power a large city, a wormhole was created large enough to send a single photon through. The photon arrived at the other end of the wormhole BEFORE it entered. This leads many scientists to believe that time may be a function of a three-dimensional universe rather than a dimention by itself.

And finally, in regards to the computational capacity needed to record the exact and specific real-time location of every object in the universe down to the last life-form: If you really wanted to record the exact coordinate location of any one given object within a 3-D grid where every object is in motion, six numbers are required. Three location numbers, velocity, and two direction numbers. One could theoretically record such information on a molecule; however retrieval would be a problem. To correct for the problem of time required and data storage in general, you could switch to a light-based system of storage, reading and recording data using sensors that measure the value of gamma radiation and decay. That would, however, require a small star to sit on your desk.

[/Too-Much-Free-Time]

Oh, hell. Now I’m a real nerd…

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:24 am 
AOL: dustinvoss
m_talon wrote:
Anyone else notice the -one- curler in Kada's hair?

Now go back to Monday and Tuesday for what the curler accomplishes :)

Good catch! I thought she was wearing a web-cam on her head or something.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:37 am 
WLM: [email protected]
I like this arc. Pete has obviously done his homework as well.

Anybody else notice Makz called Kada 'love' in the first panel/insert? More than friends, or just a general greeting beteen good mates?

It's not often a webcomic can start a discussion on the properties of SpaceTime.

I wonder I we could buy Zoe that nightie...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:49 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: ramdraogn
Draffa wrote:
It's not often a webcomic can start a discussion on the properties of SpaceTime.

Many of the webcomics I read start just that kind of conversation.

Okay, maybe just one, but it's still not new to me.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:53 pm 
Draffa wrote:
I wonder I we could buy Zoe that nightie...

nightie could be said night tie. Look I made a situational punny. :torg:

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions