Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:48 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: styx326
AOL: drummeronthemoon
I want that ringtone. Gimme. :riff:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:36 pm 
Do you suppose that Pete is still suffering from "side effects" of the Abrams Christmas Dinner?

It's said that every drink you have kills some braincells... (luckily I don't have any braincells left! :kiki: ) so maybe he went below a critical threshhold? :sasha:

Meh. I don't *care* about the house. What I care about is that this particular strip is particularly unfunny, and every strip with Riff "dealing" with the cloners (not including the one of Zoe telling Torg about it) has not been funny either. Sadly, much like GPF in "Surreptitious Machinations", Pete seems locked into this course of action (unless Riff wakes up screaming in tonight's comic and it was just a nightmare).

(For those who are curious about "Surreptitious Machinations" and why it was so bad, you can read more here.)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:34 pm 
Ikuko wrote:
I am getting more and more confused. Riff admitted that he was living in the house illegally. Now, a bunch of cloners (cloning being illegal, too) ...

Hey, you just gave me an idea. [Too bad it was spec! Now it has been destroyed! -DD]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:04 pm 
Ikuko wrote:
I am getting more and more confused. Riff admitted that he was living in the house illegally. Now, a bunch of cloners (cloning being illegal, too) attempt to confiscate a house without any legal right to do so. Or, for that matter, even to own anything (if clonning being illegal, they do not have a legal right to own property. Or confiscate it. Or enter into financial dealings with Riff in the first place). Is there anyone in Sluggy who holds a legal degree? 'cause they will have a blust out of it. And no one else would ever be able to make head or tail in this mess.

Fact is, they have a legal rental agreement "in Torg's name". They have a legal right to be in the house even if the land-lord hasn't been around to collect the rent in a while.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:08 pm 
Unless the lease has expired, which is likely given that the landlord disappeared nearly 2 years ago.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:16 pm 
Picky picky picky.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:07 pm 
Rysto wrote:
Unless the lease has expired, which is likely given that the landlord disappeared nearly 2 years ago.

Depends, if you don't move a lot of leases will just renew or change to month to month. So Torg and roomies would have a legal right to stay despite not paying rent. If the landlord isn't askin' for any you're not accountable for any.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:38 pm 
Ikuko wrote:
I am getting more and more confused. Riff admitted that he was living in the house illegally. Now, a bunch of cloners (cloning being illegal, too) attempt to confiscate a house without any legal right to do so. Or, for that matter, even to own anything (if clonning being illegal, they do not have a legal right to own property. Or confiscate it. Or enter into financial dealings with Riff in the first place). Is there anyone in Sluggy who holds a legal degree? 'cause they will have a blust out of it. And no one else would ever be able to make head or tail in this mess.

I don't think the gang going to the lawyers is really an issue, once they explain how they, their homicidal rabbit, their man-eating alien caccooned in the basement, their occasionally possessed four-eyed roommate (who has for some reason never been charged with trying to kill a popular radio host), and a former employer of hereti-copr, with a penchant for heavy weaponry are about to lose the home they aren't paying for because the landlord is location unknown, the fact that the other group doesn't have a legal right to it isn't going to matter as they drag out the straight jackets. The sluggittes have as much to fear from the law's gaze as the cloners do.

Devilbuster wrote:
What would you expect to happen? He's a furry little socialpath (I think that's the word for it...) with a switchblade who can take down a freaking man-eating alien, among other less-than-savory characters. 'He no afraid of steenking cloners'.

I'm going to point out that the one time Bun-bun and aylee actually went toe to toe (a clone of aylee, actually, but hey), Bun-bun went down like a [disgraceful pun on duel meanings of term "going down"]om night.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:20 am 
UtterWombat wrote:
relax wrote:
Oh well I'll give you one that still can be used: the military have the right to requisition anything they want deed or no deed

Exsqueeze me, but that's the second or third time I've read that in Reactions, and it just ain't so. In fact, one of the odd items in the Bill of Rights specifically says soldiers MAY NOT BE QUARTERED IN A PRIVATE HOME without the owner's permission. (That was one of the specific grievances that kicked off the American Revolution, you see.)

Trust Pete. Pete knows what he's doing. I think. (Except on Saturdays.)

domoarigatomrroboto DOMO! (beat) DOMO!

Oh yeah WWII happened in other countries and laws in America are different! At least they are now. Sorry for the historical mixup.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:21 am 
Lemme see if I can put my law degree to work.

Torg, Riff and company have a landlord-tenant relationship with the holder of title on Kesandru House, which title-holder has conveniently (and literally) dropped off the face of the earth. When the time comes that the landlord can be declared legally dead, then title in the house will pass to the landlord's heirs (either as named in his will, or relatives as defined by New Jersey state intestacy laws). If no heirs can be found, then the property escheats to the state of New Jersey.

Whoever takes Kesandru House at probate will likely be able to sue Torg and company for back rent, but Clonegressive LLC is not a party to that dispute. And since Riff isn't related in any way to Torg, Zoe, or Gwynn, Clonegressive cannot take from Riff more than his quarter-interest in the tenancy of Kesandru House (as regards the house; they may be entitled to other assets of Riff's, such as experimental equipment, etc.). A fundamental principle of property law is that "you cannot give someone more than you have"; by the same token, Clonegressive can't take from Riff more than Riff owns.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:46 pm 
That's very interesting. However, to determine the interval of time after which a missing person can be declared dead the person has to be declared missing first. As far as we know, the gang never bothered top do so. The guy was not really living anyway, and I strongly doubt he had any social security number. He was a legal owner, tho. And still is, in the eyes of law. I have no idea how the property taxes were payed on the house, but if there is a trustfund to cover them, his disappearence can be unknown indefinitly.
So, Riff's determination to lose the house actually stems from his desire to keep the lab at all cost? Bad Riff... :riff:

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions