Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:00 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10472
Vanire will take Arkady, Theresa, and anyone else who wants to accompany him off to the Basilica for today's speeches and votes.

Most of the Patriarchs are there early, milling around and discussing things among themselves - the room has a distinctly worried air. The Arch-Prelate's guard are extra vigilant today, and give every incoming person a fierce glare.

Raven is there as well, looking smug and self-satisfied at his little seat in the guest gallery.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:07 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14582
Location: Yes.
Assuming the patriarchs are heading to the main hall, Arkady and Theresa head upstairs to the peanut gallery. He looks at Theresa and says "Let me point out the players. It will make it easier to keep score." He points out and names the various patriarchs and such like that he knows, finishing with "And of course, he is being the Crow. Anias Raven, somehow named after an ancient Greek still known for being a liar."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:59 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10472
"So are we going to sit near the Crow where we can keep an eye on him?" asks Theresa. "I don't think it matters if he hears us, it's not as if we're speaking a language he can understand..."

It's at around this point that Lady Sephrenia arrives (also in the public gallery) and looks around to see who's there.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:55 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14582
Location: Yes.
Arkady salutes Lady Sephrenia, then tells Theresa: "I remember hearing that translation magic needs someone who knows both languages, but let's be checking that with her. She's the trained wizard, not me." Assuming Sephrenia does approach, he greets her then asks: "Am I guessing correctly that only gods can teach languages the way I was learning Elene? We're considering sitting by the primate over there, and I am wanting to be sure he wouldn't understand English if Theresa and I speak it."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:45 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10472
"The spell does require that the caster knows both languages," says Sephrenia. "But aside from that, a mortal mage could cast it. Even if that mortal mage in turn was given one of those languages by the same spell. So no, not only the gods can cast it. However, if Raven casts any spells in this building, he will regret it."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:51 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14582
Location: Yes.
Arkady nods. "I was more thinking of the spell having already been cast. So what of you? Would you rather sit by the primate and hope he behaves badly, or sit farther away with one of the knights?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10472
"Farther away," says Lady Sephrenia, promptly. "I find him... offensive."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:42 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14582
Location: Yes.
Arkady grins faintly. "I am not liking him very much either. Perhaps I am prejudiced against his friends the powers of darkness. Very well, how about there? he indicates a table about halfway around the room where there's a clear line of sight to Raven. He then turns to Theresa. "Lady Sephrenia would prefer not to sit near the crow. It seems she does not like him." He then makes sure there's some paper and writing utensils available and starts paying attention to the show below. He's idly curious if the 'not bribed yet' coalition is currently together.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10472
Theresa snorts. "I don't blame her. I don't much like him, either."

The Patriarchs are called to order (and yes, the not-bribed-yet coalition are all seated together, and all looking rather worried) and Raven is already sending a stream of little written notes down to Patriarch Makova, the chair.

Makova calls the meeting to order and immediately draws attention to the armies encircling the walls. "It is yet to be discovered," he says, "whether the people outside our walls are in fact hostile armies, or merely overly eager pilgrims. Rumours of some unholy abomination having been seen among them are merely that - rumours, with no factual basis that I have been able to find - thank you, Patriarch Olbstein, let me remind you that I do have the floor you will be able to voice your - QUIET, I will have QUIET!"

It takes him several minutes to calm the babble of voices from the other patriarchs.

"As I was saying, the nature of the people outside our walls is not the proper concern of this meeting. This meeting has only one proper concern, which is to elect an Arch-Prelate who will then deal with the people clamouring at the gates!"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:37 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14582
Location: Yes.
"I think we should be making sure the patriarchs who haven't decided yet hear the news about the barrier."

That said, Arkady pens a note and sends it off to Undul:
Quote:
In case you have not heard. There is a spell around the entire wall of the city which keeps bolts and arrows away from the army outside, but not from crossing into the city. It is seeming clear to me that something, possibly the champion of Azash spotted outside the wall, has brought the power of a god to bear; and that god is not yours. Have a chat with Preceptor Vanire if you have any questions; he heard the same reports I did from the Church Knights.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:31 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10472
Arkady: Rapport: +0 Roll: +0 Total: +0
Theresa can't be much help with phrasing, due to the language barrier (though she can help with other things, like reading the room)


Arkady's note seems to cause Undul some consternation. He passes it around amongst the other undecided Patriarchs, and there's some intense whispering from that area of the hall.

Raven: Rapport: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4

Raven frowns, and pens a note to Undul himself. This one causes even more worried whispering from that quarter.

"Only one proper concern!" insists Markova. "And so we shall hold a vote. First, we shall have nominations for the position of Arch-Prelate!"

Several hands go up, and, as expected, both Raven and Ortzel are nominated almost at once. There are no other nominations; it seems that everyone who's not voting for Raven has decided to throw their vote behind Ortzel.

There's probably time for another note before the actual vote, if Arkady wants to send one to anyone.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:59 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14582
Location: Yes.
Arkady does, but first he asks Theresa: "Those men I sent a note to; they are the ones the crow is trying to bribe who don't really want to take it. Felix told you about what happened at our meeting with Undul last night, that's him there with them. Are you supposing they'd respond better to an appeal to their duty, their self respect, or a counter bribe?" Needless to say he's trying to get a read on them while this goes on.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:21 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10472
"If I was in their position," says Theresa, "I think I'd respond best to an appeal to self-respect. They left duty behind when they considered taking a bribe at all, but they've still got to look at themselves in the mirror every morning."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:28 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14582
Location: Yes.
Arkady writes:
Quote:
Gentlemen. As Patriarch Undul and Preceptor Vanire can attest, the Terrans know some tricks that are not commonly known around here. One of them is how to send messages vast distances at great speed. We have already told our colony in the Fangorn Forest what is happening here. They replied that they let the Pandions know, and the knights are now riding to relieve the city. All we need is time, and we the Terrans have already fought the sort of forces outside the wall successfully. Patriarch Ortzel and Preceptor Vanire have both seen this, that we can buy that time. So what remains is simply the question of the Arch-Prelacy.
It happens that I, like you, am a priest. And one day I will have to answer to Him for everything I did or willfully did not do in this life. I would not want to spend the rest of that life knowing that on that day I will have to admit that I let considerations of self and needless panic cause me to throw aside my honor and my self respect. Especially if all I needed to do was uphold my word to abstain from the first vote. That instead of delaying for a mere few hours to hear from those who may better know what lies behind the issue at stake I voted for a candidate I already knew to be a seducer and a thief, and I had good reason to suspect of much worse. That I betrayed myself, my Church, and Him that way. I would not want that at all.
Patriarchs, you are not the ones who have taken Raven's bait. Were I you I would not throw away this chance to truthfully tell men, the mirror, and your God that; now and for the rest of time.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:17 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10472
Arkady: Rapport: +0 Complemented by Empathy: +1 Theresa: +2 Roll: -1 Total: +2

Again, Raven sends down his own scribbled missive.

Raven: Rapport: +3 Roll: +2 Total: +5

Though there is a lot of frantic whispering from that corner of the floor, when the vote arrives, it seems that whatever Raven said was not quite enough to persuade their little clique to vote for him just yet. Raven gets over 50% of the vote, but nowhere near enough to win the vote; especially not after three of the "knights" remove their helmets and reveal that they're actually the three previously-hiding Patriarchs who you saw at Dolmant's table last night. (Needless to say, those three very firmly vote against Raven).

"Gentlemen!" says Makova, crossly. "It is of absolutely vital importance that we elect an ArchPrelate as swiftly as possible; there are affairs of the Church that must be decided! For that reason, we will now hear arguments for each of the proposed candidates. To begin, who will speak in favour of -" Makova makes a face, as if looking at something extremely distasteful - "Ortzel?"

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: