Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:54 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10469
The plan to Destroy The Armies (or at least delay them long enough for reinforcements) starts in Dolmant's estate; where Felix, and anyone who wants to accompany him, has access to the trucks; and the weapons, parts, and materials that were carried in said trucks.

There are two sets of city walls; the inner walls of the Old City, built in antiquity, which eventually proved too small for the growing population; and the outer walls of the New City, none the less solid for being bigger. The Velocity Shield waits outside the walls, invisible to the eye; and outside the outer walls, at least two armies with significant magical support lay siege.

Both the outer and inner walls have observation points that a defender can use to get a better look at what's out there.

And inside the city, patrolling the roads and 'keeping the peace', are a lot of Raven's soldiers; who should in theory be on the side of the defenders.

Piper will join you there, in the yard, sitting in the passenger seat of one of the trucks and looking only mildly ill. Talen will be there too, taking the driver's seat and watching with undisguised curiousity.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:38 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Online
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8215
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Alright, so we've got a tough one ahead of us," Felix says. "We've got an Enemy At The Gates that needs stalling or destroying and they've employed a rather annoying countermeasure against missile attacks. Furthermore we don't know whether or not our actions are going to be impeded by Raven's forces within the walls so our ability to move freely may be impacted. There may even be subtle or overt attempts against us. Forces From Without and Enemies Within seek to undo us. Let's not abide by that."

As Felix speaks he idly draws up plans for complicated a set of secondary activation Rocket Propelled Grenades. Something that will hopefully be able to penetrate a barrier that stops kinetic force by causing a secondary explosion after coming to a stop. Essentially a multistage rocket.

He turns to address Piper and Lady Sephrenia is she's also there.

"Can you explain how, exactly, the barrier works? Is there any way to counter it? Perhaps by using a projectile that fires itself again after it hits the barrier? Would there perhaps be a way to magically circumvent it for moments at a time to fire through? Do you need time to study it?"

Felix turns to Talen.

"Would it be at all possible for your buddies in the city to offer anything in the way of support? I imagine we'll have a tough time navigating the city with Raven's forces obstructing us. We could use guides and distractions. Very likely we'll need some covert eyes and ears feeding us intel on the goings on of the city."

Felix turns to the Terran that came over to deliver the gold if he's still hanging about.

"This is a pretty stressful day. I could use your help if you're up for it. What's your name?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:23 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10469
Lady Sephrenia is not here, as it happens.

Kajin wrote:
He turns to address Piper and Lady Sephrenia is she's also there.

"Can you explain how, exactly, the barrier works? Is there any way to counter it? Perhaps by using a projectile that fires itself again after it hits the barrier? Would there perhaps be a way to magically circumvent it for moments at a time to fire through? Do you need time to study it?"


"It works however Azash thinks it works," explains Piper. "There are ways to counter it, yes. But I don't have the power to go directly against one of the Elder gods of Styricum. The Elene god might... especially here, at the central focus of his power... but he's no fun and won't do anything unless someone starts breaking the rules."

"The weakest point is that Azash is having to channel his spell through someone else - the Seeker. It will only help as long as the Seeker continues to agree that the spell should be cast. Technically Azash could use a willing human as a conduit... but the amount of power required would burn out a human in an instant. So if the Seeker goes down, the shield goes down."

"I don't know if a projectile that fires itself after it hits the barrier will work or not. The only way to tell is to try it, and... even if it does work, it won't work twice. Azash is more than capable of modifying the barrier on-the-fly."

"As it is, though... the barrier will only stop kinetic energy. The energy of motion. And even that only in an outward direction. It won't stop any other forms of energy. Not completely."

--------------

Kajin wrote:
Felix turns to Talen.

"Would it be at all possible for your buddies in the city to offer anything in the way of support? I imagine we'll have a tough time navigating the city with Raven's forces obstructing us. We could use guides and distractions. Very likely we'll need some covert eyes and ears feeding us intel on the goings on of the city."


"Guv, the thieves' guild around here don't want that army in here any more'n you do. Deliveries, can do; distractions, can do; guides, can do. Intel, can do. Just don't ask them to put their own necks on the line or risk the authorities finding out who the Guild members are."

Kajin wrote:
Felix turns to the Terran that came over to deliver the gold if he's still hanging about.

"This is a pretty stressful day. I could use your help if you're up for it. What's your name?"


"Ed-edward. I, I don't see, I mean, I don't really think I can be of any help here..."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:20 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Online
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8215
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"That blasted Seeker..." Felix grumbles. "If I ever get my hands on it I'm going to blast it alright. Once we capture it and extract all the venom we need to counteract the effects it causes I'm going to take great pleasure in blasting it off the face of this world."

Felix mutters darkly.

"So it only stops kinetic energy? I can bypass that in any number of ways, but all the best mechanisms for delivery of other types of energy involve initial amounts of kinetics and the amount of energy I'd need to generate to project a wave of anything else from the walls to the army would be impractical at best."

Felix addresses Talen.

"Can we have your guy's do some work for now? I'd like some more paper if any at all is left in the city. I also want details on Raven's forces and the local populace. Important figures within both groups. Key points we can target to manipulate the situation in our favor should we need to. Who leads Raven's goons? Are any of them susceptible to turning their coat, or are they fanatics? How can we sway the heart of the people to support our efforts and stand against Raven? We may have made a good head start with the publication from before. I want to know if encouraging that can get us favorable results. Places to hide. Extra supplies I can use. Anything at all that could give us an edge of any kind."

Felix speaks to Edward.

"Don't worry about it. If you're not up to it that's fine. This world is crazy, after all. If you think you can, I might need someone to help me build some stuff if you don't mind holding tools. Passing me screwdrivers."

Felix asks the other Terrans that might be present to work on some side stuff while he goes to do some other things.

"Alright, I want to see the army myself and talk to Sir Sparhawk," Felix says as he gets up. "If at all possible I'd like to go do that."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:13 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10469
"Don't try to capture it," advises Piper. "As long as it lives and is willing, Azash can use it to cast spells... I don't think it can be held."

"I don't think you get how this works, guv," says Talen. "I can't give you the list of all the Thieves' Guild contacts. You want something done, you tell me, an' I'll find the guy who can do that thing. Raven's goons? New to the city. Local thieves won't know who can be bribed an' who can't, not as well as they know residents. But if you want to bribe one, I'll ask. Worst case scenario, I can sure have one killed. Heart of the people? Give me some credit, I been doing the obvious things already. And after all this martial law, they pretty much hate Raven anyhow. You want them to rise up in a mob and demand his head on a spike? Quickest way to do that is to show that he's connected to that army out there. You want a place to hide, you want extra supplies? Tell me, an' I'll find 'em. As for talkin' with Sir Sparhawk?"

Talen hops off the truck's seat and heads for the gate.

"Jus' follow me."

Edward seems to be quite willing to pass screwdrivers, though he expresses a certain reluctance to leave Dolmant's property.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:23 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Online
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8215
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix follows along, leaving standing instructions to collect paper and insecticidal ingredients.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:42 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10469
Talen's route through the city is anything but a straight line. You don't touch the main roads more than briefly crossing them, and on more than one occasion you enter a building via the rear door only to leave again via the front.

But you reach the walls without meeting so much as a single one of Raven's patrols, and climb the stairs up to the top.

"Felix," nods Sparhawk. "I hope you've got something to deal with this army like you did at Radun's castle."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:02 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Online
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8215
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix gazes out over the field.

"I've been told there's a spell that's blocking kinetic energy," Felix says. "Everything I have that I can project out to the enemy soldiers from the walls would be stopped by it. There's other things I can do, I think, but they'd be much more difficult and probably wouldn't destroy them before they destroyed us in retaliation."

Felix sighs.

"I can maybe prep defenses that would shatter them upon an attempt to breach the walls, but I doubt that would be taken into account by the Patriarchs which is the real deciding factor here. If the vote is stalled long enough for reinforcements to arrive we could break the siege that way."

Felix tries to count how many enemies are in the field.

"Do you know where Martel is? If we could find some way, any way to link him to Raven that would swing the vote away from him completely."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:20 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10469
There are Way Too Many enemies out there. Way more than assailed Ortzel's brother's castle.

"Martel's out there with the army," says Sparhawk. "Incidentally, a crossbow bolt will travel about half a metre from the walls before stopping and falling to the ground. It does not, however, prevent people out there from shooting in. Also, I'm pretty sure that Martel can read lips, so we should get down off the wall before we discuss this further."

Once you're off the wall and out of lipreading range, Sparhawk will continue. "Even with Raven's soldiers, we don't have enough men to hold the walls, and Martel knows that. The only reason I can think of why he hasn't broken through the outer walls yet is that he's waiting for the right moment. I'm thinking we should pull everyone back to the inner walls, abandon the outer city entirely; firstly, it means we're protecting a smaller area, which helps, and secondly, about half of Martel's army is mercenaries. When they start looting the outer city, they won't be attacking the inner city until they're done with the looting."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:16 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Online
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8215
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Depending on the level of property damage that would be found acceptable, I could whip up a thing or two that would hinder and injure the enemy as they went about looting and marched through the streets. Maybe even destroy them entirely depending on what I have left and local conditions," Felix muses. "But I don't know if that would earn me any ill will in the moment or down the line from local powers. At the very least I could negotiate with the Captain to help rebuild afterward. Something to consider."

Felix looks out in the direction of where the colony would be, his brow furrowed as if concerned about it.

"The spell that's blocking us from firing outward is also blocking our radios from more meaningful long range communication, but thankfully I was able to get juuust enough signal to key Morse code and alert the colony. They've already sent a messenger to the Pandion Knights who I imagine will arrive at their best clip. If we can stall until then this siege won't last long."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:21 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10469
"That's the first good news I've had all day," says Sparhawk. "If we fall back to the inner walls, we should easily be able to hold off for a few days - long enough for the relief to get here. And anything you do that does less damage than a bunch of mercenaries pillaging and burning will be acceptable," he continues. "What can you whip up within, say, an hour?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:46 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Online
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8215
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"If we can determine the path they'll most likely take I can lay some explosives at the entrance and along the paths most likely traveled. Wait for them to spread out along those lines then remotely detonate said explosives. Stone, wood, and metal would be shattered by the force. As will anyone that happens to be in the area at the time."

Felix gazes out at the city and tries to determine the layout. How it's built. How it flows.

"It'll cause... significant damage, but nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of labor. And it's the softest I can go in such a short span of time."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:17 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10469
The area between the outer and inner walls is a maze of twisty little streets. It looks as if someone built the outer walls a long time back, so that there is no longer really enough space for the growing city inside them - many buildings grow to multiple stories and the streets are as narrow as could be gotten away with.

Though there are a few larger estates around the place, few of them are anywhere on the main road from the outer front gates to the inner front gates.

All of those stone buildings are probably going to redirect explosions and leave any blast funneled into certain areas - sure, the blast will be stronger in those areas, but it'll also have blind spots on the far side of some of those buildings.

"The more you can set up, the better," says Sparhawk, clapping Felix' shoulder with a hand that's wearing a chainmail glove.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:46 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 2798
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger will do what he is asked, whether that be working on the insecticide or burying the mines.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:40 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Online
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8215
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix will request Roger work in the background to produce an insecticide fog capable of blanketing wide areas.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kajin and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: