Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:57 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Hmm... If I have Theresa on the wall now and am fighting the Seekers minions as they push the wall, I'm wondering if that would make much of a difference compared to my lone, singular fate point? Might mean lots of people get to keep their lives and the situation is improved, but it would leave me open to compels...

Drat. I'm gonna reverse course. Gonna spend my last fate point to have Theresa show up so we can start defending the wall properly.

Also, now might be a good time to use my Universal Gadget. I was thinking something with lots of shrapnel. Try to reduce the advantage of numbers given by the mindless thralls as much as possible. Maybe an Automatic Grenade Launcher with grenades that explode into flechettes in midair so the Seeker Thralls can't block them with numbers? Or just a Heavy Machine Gun with jacketed rounds that can penetrate multiple lines?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:40 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
We do have a grenade launcher, and any .30 caliber machine gun can shoot through several people as long as it's firing full metal jacket ammo (which is standard issue). Hit someone 2-4 times with a single burst and minion or not they're going down (the tissue damage from hydrostatic shock is essentially multiplied if the bullets hit at about the same time).

Arkady is looking for anyone who looks like they're enchanted (and if he didn't spend a fate point to get the knight to show up, he'll spend one to keep him clean); he's also looking for signs of the divine and anyone who shows an obvious aura. Mind you if he sees his own god looking disapprovingly he's going to have a lot of thinking to do...
And yes, he already knows Piper has an aura. No need to push that.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:46 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Right, but I figure anything I start using the Universal Gadget with is going to be applied with more devastating effect.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:19 am 
The Universal Gadget can be applied to give a bonus to Felix's Guns roll. However, given the bonus he gets from Theresa, added to his Personal Gadget, an extra bonus there is probably not going to make a significant actual difference to the result. Seriously, Felix's ability with anything gun-related is kind of ridiculous.

There's a reason why the boulder was aimed at him.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:38 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Well, a series of well placed explosions could definitely amp up my game, but if you're saying that my Guns rolls are really so good as to that not making a difference...

What about a series of well placed explosives capable of knocking boulders out of the sky? Give Theresa a rocket launcher with auto tracking and have her shoot down the boulders as the Seeker aims them at me?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:48 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Right, since you said the Universal Gadget wasn't going to make a difference with my Guns skill... is there any way I can change it to what I said mere moments after you posted the result? Automated tracking turret to shoot down the boulders as they pop through the barrier?

Or did the gadget actually make a difference and taking it away would change the result of the last charge?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:26 am 
The Universal Gadget wasn't included in that last charge.

You really didn't need it.

So you still have it available, to use as you wish.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:30 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Ahh, right. I read Personal Gadget and thought that was my Universal use for a second. I blame a severe lack of sleep.

Yes, I would like to spend my Universal Gadget on Motion-Tracking Missiles that are fired from a Perfectly Timed missile launcher to shoot down the boulders as they come. Have a quick talk with Piper to find out exactly how far the barrier is out, how much closer it will get, then calibrate it so that it fires the missiles in time to impact boulders as they exit the kinetic barrier.

I figure unless the wall itself is taken the local diety is preventing the barrier from getting any closer so that any assault on the wall can still be righteously contested. If that's indeed the case and I can keep shooting down boulders at my leisure, I will set up the device.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:04 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Or we could ask one of the thieves to sneak a bomb out to a building near the catapult. It goes off, the protection goes away, the MG can destroy the machine and kill the crew in perhaps three seconds. Always assuming the blast itself didn't do the job.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:19 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'd assume the thieves guild wouldn't risk doing something so overtly dangerous, and also we're completely out of explosives. Only boom I can achieve now is whatever I do with my Universal Gadget and this will achieve what we need. At least until we can thwart Raven, at which point the enemy army might just retreat anyway.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:18 pm 
Kajin wrote:
At least until we can thwart Raven, at which point the enemy army might just retreat anyway.

As opposed to, say, taking over the city, killing the new Arch-Prelate and all the Patriarchs except one, and having that one vote Raven in all on his lonesome?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
The army the new Arch-Prelate can command to defend the wall might have something to say about that.

Spearheaded by the Dynamic Duo that is Felix and Theresa, of course.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:06 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
The aim of shooting down the boulders with the missiles was to prevent said boulders from impacting the wall entirely so they couldn't be used to destroy said wall, not as a respite from dodging them. I don't need to dodge the boulders, I just need the wall.

I feel like if Felix knew this was going to be a problem, he wouldn't have built the turret. Can I change my Universal Gadget use, or is it too late?

If so, or even if not, I'll spend my time trying to build some kind of device that's both non lethal and doesn't rely on kinetic energy. Perhaps some kind of projected flashbang or sonic device that could disable and knock unconscious the enemy? Project vast quantities of light and sound for the express purpose of completely disabling enemy troops.

Does Roger have much in the way of Fate points left? I'd like to ask if he can spend a point to say I have supplies needed to build such a device.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:44 am 
Kajin wrote:
I feel like if Felix knew this was going to be a problem, he wouldn't have built the turret. Can I change my Universal Gadget use, or is it too late?

Under the circumstances, I'll allow the Universal Gadget re-use. This time.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:55 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Thanks, sorry for the bother.

I suppose the upgrades for this gadget would be Sonic Rifle and Incapacitating? Get me a rifle that shoots sound instead of bullets and the bullets knock you out instead of killing you.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG