Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:26 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14558
Location: Yes.
Arkady considers Vanire for a second. "I am thinking you left out two bodies of soldiers in the city right now; the Arch Prelate's Guard and the Church troops Raven called in. Are all of them useless?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10449
"The walls certainly do have walkable sections," nods Vanire. "It might even be possible to find someone able to read lips. As for the bodies of guards that you mention - the Arch-Prelate's Guard remains famously neutral in all disputes, with the exception of protecting the Arch-Prelate. The most that they will do is to guard the Basilica itself while the election is going on, and the person of the Arch-Prelate after the election is complete. And Raven's Church troops... they're Raven's troops. Technically, they're supposed to come to the defense of the city; but given who called them in here, I question how much and whether they can be trusted to do that."

Felix tries to contact the Ship via radio.

*Skreeeeeeeee....... weeeeeee.... crackle......... krshzzzzzzzzz.......*

Wow, there's some pretty heavy interference there. You might be able to get a message through, but it won't be easy or quick.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:24 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8197
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix eyes the radio and frowns. He grabs a few spares and shoves them in the hands of those that are willing.

"I need a couple volunteers to walk about a bit with these devices. Point them in a few directions, help me gather some data. Walk to the ends of the building and lean out windows. Point them in the direction of the Basilica and the besieging enemy forces."

Engineering roll to determine the location, if applicable, of any nearby radio interference.

While the data is being collected, Felix tries to patch through to the ship.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:12 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14558
Location: Yes.
Arkady shrugs and addresses Vanire. "Then the only thing i can think of right now is that we may want to visit Patriarch Undul before todays votes. His friends may need more than 'we will be hearing more tonight' this morning. You, your Grace, Sir Ulath and perhaps the knights who heard the king accuse Raven of regicide may be able to satisfy his curiosity. If there is enough time until dawn for that.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:35 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10449
Felix: Engineering: +5 Roll: +0 Total: +5
Target: +2
Extra information target: +4


Felix quickly finds that the interference is constant - no matter where he goes within the city, there's just as much interference in the way. It's fairly straight-forward to get a plain text message out or in - punching through a strong on/off signal and converting everything to morse code - but voice will be noisy and unreliable until this is dealt with.

As for sources... this doesn't make sense if the interference has a single source.

It does, however, make sense if the source of the interference is wrapped in a wall around the city, extending upwards as far as Felix can measure.

"We can always have a word with them in the Basilica," points out Vanire. "There's a good chance they'll be there early, anyway."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:47 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8197
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Huh... That's something. It seems like there's intentional interference. The frequencies our communication devices operate on seem to be hitting a wall. As far as I can tell, the interference is completely surrounding the city. Someone is intentionally doing something."

Felix thinks.

"It's possible they know about the radios at this point and are trying to block our ability to send messages out. Or the interference is a side effect of something else. Either way... I think I can juuuuuust manage to get a distress signal out, but it's gonna take me a minute."

Felix begins hammering out an S.O.S. signal and tries to hail the ship to get a coded answer in kind.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:58 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10449
Felix quickly gets a reply back. In morse code.

"W-H-A-T H-E-L-P D-O Y-O-U N-E-E-D"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:21 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8197
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix sends a reply back as quick as he can punch it out.

"CHYRELLOS UNDER SIEGE"

"HEAVY ENEMY FORCES"

"COMMUNICATION BLOCKED"

"SEND FOR PANDION KNIGHTS IN CIMMURA"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:19 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14558
Location: Yes.
Arkady briefly steps into another room and tries to contact one of the other Terrans by radio to see how bad the interference is inside the city. Then he comes back and explains what's going on to the one Terran who doesn't speak Elene.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:55 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10449
"S-E-N-D-I-N-G S-I-R B-E-V-I-E-R"

A moment later...

"H-E A-S-K-S N-U-M-B-E-R-S A-N-D O-T-H-E-R D-E-T-A-I-L-S"

--------------

It turns out that, inside the city, the interference is virtually nothing. It's only when a transmission tries to go into or out of the city that it runs into trouble.

And Theresa is very grateful to be kept in the loop.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:05 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8197
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"What's the size estimate of the army we're looking at?" Felix asks Vanire. Sir Bevier wants that and other details before he fetches the Pandions."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:21 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10449
"About three thousand men," says Vanire, "and the Seeker, who's puppeted about half of them. Martel is rumoured to be present as well. And a few dozen badly malnourished Rendors."

Presumably Felix sends that info on, in which case the reply comes through:

"S-I-R B-E-V-I-E-R O-N H-I-S W-A-Y"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:37 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8197
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix stretches after that last bit of heavy concentration.

"Alright. I wasn't able to send a regular message but thankfully the signals were still strong enough I could send Morse code. Sir Bevier is on the way. Hopefully that shouldn't take too long."

Felix looks at Vanire.

"Time to plan. What do we need to account for, and how do we counter it? Does it look like Martel is going to assault the walls like the Seeker did last time, or is he going to sot there and try to put pressure on the elections to force an early vote?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:57 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14558
Location: Yes.
Arkady thinks for a few seconds, then says "I think we may be having to split up the Terrans; one of us should be at the meeting, the rest should probably help deal with the army out there. Though I am suspecting whoever knows how to interfere with radios may also know how to interfere with our weapons. Zalasbra said something about a mage who is good enough taking them over."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:53 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10449
"There's a lot to contend with," says Vanire. "First, numbers. We don't have the numbers to hold the city against this army for long. Second, the Seeker. We don't know the full extent of what it can do, and it may be able to pull out just about anything unexpectedly. We do expect it to have significant magical power. Third, Martel. He's been stripped of a lot of the magical power he could have had in a... past incident, but he's still a sneaky weasel who always has a plan, with several backups. Fourth, Raven and the election. Raven's clearly got something planned and I don't think that the army arriving now is a coincidence."

"I don't know whether Martel will assault the walls or not, but the fact that he didn't do it in the pre-dawn encourages me - he might well be there just to put pressure on the election. Or he may be there to assault the walls if his favoured candidate doesn't win."

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: