Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Alright," Felix says, rubbing his chin. "When my colony first landed, we set up a bunch of electricity generating windmills to provide power to the ship. For the first week or so, hurricane force winds buffeted the windmills, but the areas above and below the windmill heads were fairly windless. It stopped once we put up some biofuel generators and the wind wasn't needed as much. I've always been under the impression some supernatural force was helping us. Explain that?"

Felix tussles Piper's hair.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shakes his head. "And while you are at it, explain how the girl in front of you is floating in mid air with nothing above and below her, flipped herself over without actually moving, and filled a barrel bigger than she is with assorted specific herbs out of a small bowl? Are you deluding yourself too? Are your own eyes lying to you?

Tag Many Faces of God, and tag Church of Many Doors for a reroll if he does really poorly.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:19 am 
Kajin wrote:
"Alright," Felix says, rubbing his chin. "When my colony first landed, we set up a bunch of electricity generating windmills to provide power to the ship. For the first week or so, hurricane force winds buffeted the windmills, but the areas above and below the windmill heads were fairly windless. It stopped once we put up some biofuel generators and the wind wasn't needed as much. I've always been under the impression some supernatural force was helping us. Explain that?"

Felix tussles Piper's hair.

Felix: Rapport: +4 Aide: +4 Roll: -1 Total: +7
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: +1 Total: +6
Ortzel, mental track: XXXXX XXO

Piper giggles.

"Presumably your straits were dire enough to attract the aid of the one true god," suggests Ortzel. "It might be polite to direct your thanks and worship to him."

Weremensh wrote:
Arkady shakes his head. "And while you are at it, explain how the girl in front of you is floating in mid air with nothing above and below her, flipped herself over without actually moving, and filled a barrel bigger than she is with assorted specific herbs out of a small bowl? Are you deluding yourself too? Are your own eyes lying to you?

Tag Many Faces of God, and tag Church of Many Doors for a reroll if he does really poorly.

Arkady: Mysteries: +4 Roll: +0 Tags: +2 Total: +6
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: +0 Total: +5
Ortzel, mental track: XXXXX XXX
Arkady has three remaining FATE points

Ortzel squints at Piper, taking her seriously for the first time. She grins cheekily, stands, and curtsies, all in mid-air.

Piper: Mysteries: Total: +7
Ortzel, mental track: XXXXX XXX Minor consequence: Disquieted

Ortzel steps sharply forward, and grabs a spear from a nearby soldier. Holding it just below the head, he swings the shaft of the spear under Piper, over her, and all round - walking around her so as to cover every possible angle. It's soon obvious that no arrangement of invisible cables or hidden struts could hide from this inspection. Eventually, he frowns and reaches out gently to Piper - who takes his hand and shakes it enthusiastically, proving her solidity.

Ortzel takes his hand back and ponders Piper.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:50 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix laughs.

"Maybe... maybe... though by all reports I've heard your god is a fairly reclusive one, I can't imagine what sort of interest he'd take in a group of nomads such as ourselves. I'll pass the word along, though, and see if any of my people are willing to worship him. We do have freedom of religion so there won't be any trouble in it."

Felix paces around Ortzel as the man contemplates Piper.

"It can be a bit... disquieting... coming across something you don't understand, that you're having a hard time explaining. I know the feeling well. Ever since I arrived in this land I've seen a great many things I can't explain, that flabbergast me to this day. A Styric woman projecting images from her fingers. Creating duplicates of my cryo bombs from seemingly nothing. The way calendars never seem to line up when we travel, how we always seem to make journeys in shorter amounts of time than possible. Waking up from a long sleep and somehow being able to speak and write in a language I've never heard before. Weird Things Are Happening™ even as we speak, and explanations are few and far in between. It gets to a man, sometimes. Especially one who thinks he has a handle on things. Do you have a handle on things? I thought I did."

Felix pats Ortzel on the shoulder.

"Just gotta come to terms with it. I did."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:59 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady grins. "When you were a boy, you may have heard stories about powers that walked the land, doing all sorts of impossible things according to their nature. Well, Your Eminence, allow me to introduce you to The Child. Or as she prefers to be called, Piper. She thinks it adds to her sense of mystery."

Not tagging this one; he thinks she can emphasize herself.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:43 pm 
Felix: Rapport: +4 Aide: +4 Roll: -2 Total: +6
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: -2 Total: +3
Ortzel, mental track: XXXXX XXX Minor consequence: Disquieted Moderate consequence: Concerned

"Disquieting? Disquieting does not begin to cover it!"

Weremensh wrote:
"When you were a boy, you may have heard stories about powers that walked the land, doing all sorts of impossible things according to their nature. Well, Your Eminence, allow me to introduce you to The Child. Or as she prefers to be called, Piper. She thinks it adds to her sense of mystery."

Piper curtsies in mid-air, then plucks a bouquet of dandelions larger than she is out of sheer nothing.

Arkady: Rapport: +0 Roll: +0 Total: +0
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: -4 Total: +1
Ortzel, mental track: XXXXX XXX Minor consequence: Disquieted Moderate consequence: Concerned

Piper: Mysteries: Total: +11
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: -1 Total: +4
Ortzel, mental track: XXXXX XXX Minor consequence: Disquieted Moderate consequence: Concerned Major consequence: Reeling

"The Child?" asks Ortzel, taking a step back from Piper and actually going slightly pale. "I've heard of you. You don't exist!"

"And yet here I am," she says.

Ortzel raises the spear he's still holding, pointing the far end at Piper - an action made substantially less threatening by the fact that he's still holding it just below the head, so the far end isn't the pointy end. "You stay away from me. I've heard about what you get up to!"

Piper giggles. "So does that mean you do accept that I exist?"

Ortzel frowns, considers the matter, and frowns harder.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:23 am 
Nate pulls a spare walkie-talkie out of a pocket and shows it to Ortzel.

"This is a device called a radio. We use them to communicate long distances as well as for a few other things. They work by emitting and observing a kind of light that most creatures can't see, and is able to pass through most matter like it was glass. Very useful."

"Now, radio signals strong enough to interfere with our communication don't normally exist on their own. Something has to make them, and usually it takes another radio, or something like it, to do it. No offense, but the Elane people don't have the technology to build this sort of thing yet, so you'd expect nothing but silence when you turn it on, right?"

Nate turns on the walkie, filling the room with the sound of the interference, and long presses a button on the side.

"It turns out that isn't the case. Something, or rather, somethings are making alot of noise out there, and we don't know what. Just a few days ago I spent the better part of an afternoon tracking down one of the sources of these transmissions, and found the signal to be coming from a spot of empty air about eight feet off the ground in the middle of a small clearing. It stayed put for a few minutes, then wandered off. I gave up following it after it headed past a cliff with a fifty foot drop and didn't change altitude at all. So these things, call them Spirits, Anomalies, Boojums, whatever, are already pretty weird, not seeming to actually exist, but perhaps even more interesting is that they don't seem to like it if you copy them. Now, I've just made a recording of the noise we've been listening to and i'm going to play it back, transmitting it on the radio. The last time we tried this, a bolt of lightning came out of a clear sky and destroyed the radio, while it was inside. With the door closed. I don't know if the same thing is going to happen again, but that's what science is all about, right?"

"Now you may want to stand back for this part."

Nate turns on the transmitter and begins a looped playback of the recording, before setting the radio down and quickly backing away to a (hopefully) safe distance.

Spend a FATE point to annoy something.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:57 am 
Nate: SCIENCE!: +0 Roll: -1 Total: -1
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: +2 Total: +7

The radio explodes in an impressive shower of plastic and circuitry, and a blast of light and sound that blinds and deafens everyone in the room for a moment.

Ortzel is, to put it mildly, totally unimpressed by this demonstration. "A box with an explosive hidden inside. How original." It seems he's well versed in the ancient art of sarcasm...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:08 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shrugs. "It could have been. But Piper is more or less what she seems to be; a mischievous and benign power who looks like a Styric girl. The army outside was enslaved by another kind of power; one who is reputed to be completely malign. You don't get one without the other; she exists, Azash exists, and both of them have chosen to grace us with their presence."

After a beat he continues: "Now since Piper is not trying to enslave or kill you, please stop threatening her with a stick and help me try to deal with the power that is trying to enslave and/or kill you."

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:00 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Still think magic is a bunch of bumpkis, when you've got a clearly magical entity standing before you?" Felix asks. "The border security of the Elene nations relies on the Knights using magic. You can't take that away from them. At the very least give it some time. Go around and have units of Knights demonstrate their power to you so you know what's going on and can make an informed decision on what to do. Don't let Azash win."

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:57 pm 
Arkady: Mysteries: +4 Roll: -2 Total: +2

Ortzel narrows his eyes at Piper. "If she truly is the Child, then she must be so much more than she appears. And not nearly as benign as she thinks she is."

Kajin wrote:
"Still think magic is a bunch of bumpkis, when you've got a clearly magical entity standing before you?" Felix asks.

Felix: Rapport: +4 Aide: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +9
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: +1 Total: +6 +++Taken out+++: Rethinking His Ideas

Ortzel glares at Felix, then at Piper, for a long moment before apparently accepting that if he's going to be treating Piper as some sort of magical boogeyman, then he's already implicitly accepting the existence of magic.

"...alright, you've made your point. I shall contemplate the matter in depth, and I shall pray about it," he finally concedes. He adds a glare at Piper, saying "And as for you -"

He's interrupted by a thump that shakes the castle, as something heavy strikes the walls. "Count Groan's men are attacking!" come the yells from the walls.

"I know all about your tricks," says Ortzel to Piper, glaring down the length of his stick at her. "Do not try them on me."

Piper manages a look of cherubic innocence. With an angry snort, Ortzel returns the spear to the guard he got it from.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Okay, now that that's out of the way... time for action."

Felix cracks his knuckles.

"New plan. We fight from the walls and hold them off as long as possible. Nate and I will use long range weaponry to bombard the siege equipment and explosives to damage and diminish the enemy army. Arkady? While we're buying time I want you to mount a cart on the truck. Once the wall is breached, we lead Alstrom's forces in an all out charge to break enemy lines and open a path of retreat. Roger? I want you to take one of the trucks and drive Ortzel through the gap and to safety. Once they're gone, we lead the charge against the Seeker and capture it alive, tying it down with rope and netting and throwing it into the cart attached to the truck. Arkady and Piper will exorcise Azash from it while everyone else is attempting to hogtie it. Once the Seeker is out of the picture everyone will retreat. The Terran party will meet up with Roger and Ortzel and head to Chyrellos while Alstrom's forces retreat to the castle and defend. Anyone have any suggestions?"

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:12 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger makes the final preparations to ensure that the barrel will smoke after it has been launched.

I will do as you say, Felix. We should launch the smoke bomb soon though. Piper thinks that it may be effective against the Seeker, and the sooner we can ascertain its effectiveness one way or the other, the better.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:33 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"We'll do that as part of the initial bombardment," Felix says.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:33 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shakes his head. "Felix, you've never been to war. I have. Believe me, take that medium machine gun, the gun shield and a few spare panniers of ammunition up on the wall and the rest is not needed to stop the humans. Unless they've got a mage out there, that will clear the causeway all by itself in under five minutes. If you can find an arrow slit down by road level to be shooting through, in under three. That is how colonial empires were built."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG