Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:59 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4076
Location: Currently on expedition.
'Twas the night before christmas and all through the house a riot had erupted, a coup to be doused. For at the top of the Tree, all lit up with lights, the Angel is menaced, a terrible sight. Bound all up in tinsel, by the worst villain of all, the Elf on a Shelf, Who had plotted her fall. His minions are legion, an army so vast, it's up to you to save her! Hop To! Quick Fast!

----------------------------------------------------------

The game is simple. You play a Toy, old timey or contemporary, get across the room, climb the tree, defeat the Elf on a Shelf and his army of darkness, rescue the Angel, save christmas.

This game will run until New Years Day.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10304
No damsel shall remain distressed on my watch! For I am Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, with a wrist-mounted flashing LED and genuine unfolding jetpack wings!

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:57 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8094
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Hup Two! A mass of green army men, reporting for duty!

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:40 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4076
Location: Currently on expedition.
Alright! We have Buzz Lightyear, Space Ranger, and Sarge and his Squad, ready to storm the tree to save christmas. If anyone else wants to join in, just pick a point that feels good and give 'er.

This game uses a bare bones version of the Tiny D6 game engine. Basically, whenever a roll is called for, I roll 2D6, and if one of the dice shows a 5 or 6, the check succeeds. If you happen to be really good at something (like Falling with Style) or you have an advantage of some kind to help you, I roll 3D6. Likewise, if you really suck at something, (unlikely to come up) or you are at a distinct disadvantage, I roll 1D6. Everything else I'll deal with as it comes up in game play.

There is no OOG thread, if you want to speak OOG, just drop in some brackets or a spoiler tag or something and declare it OOG.


-----------------------------------------------------

You never liked that Elf guy. From the moment you met him he always creeped you out, and he's done nothing since then to change your mind. Buy you never dreamed that he'd ever go this far. From your vantage point across the room you watched him bushwhack the poor Angel, and now you can see him chortling and rubbing his hands in fiendish glee over his victim.

You have to do something, but it's a long way to the tree, and even as you watched the Elf capture Angel, you also saw his minions sweep into the room, quashing any resistance before it had a chance to start. You're not surprised that he's allied himself with vermin. Shocked, perhaps, but not surprised.

Three general paths lay before you. You can strike out directly across the center of the room for the tree. Although currently free of foes, it's also free of cover, and you are more likely to be spotted. The second is to skirt the edge of the room, hiding amongst the furniture and plants that line the room, and thus reach the tree undetected. However this will take time, and it's also likely that the vermin horde lies in wait here as well. You must be cautious. The third route is the most audacious, boarding the train that winds its way around the room and riding it until it reaches the base of the tree. There is no way you won't be spotted, but it's also the fastest option, and you'd be a moving target.

What will you do?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:47 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10304
There is a damsel in distress, and Buzz Lightyear will not let this stand!

"Sarge. I can't get a clear shot with my laser from here; so this is my proposed strategy. I'll take the train. I'll draw the attention of the vermin and the Elf, while you take a squad of your best men and sneak around the edge. I'll get the villain to start monologuing - villains love monologuing - and while I'm doing that, your men sneak around behind him and free the hostage. Once the angel is free, we can take out the Elf without worrying about innocent bystanders."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:49 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8094
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"That sounds like a good plan, Buzz! You heard him, men! Let's go let's go let's go!"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:14 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4076
Location: Currently on expedition.
Buzz heads for the train, boarding it without much difficulty, and rides it out onto the blasted desert of the floor in front of the fireplace. As he goes, a small swarm of RC cars leaps out from underneath nearby furniture, each crowded with rats. The rats are a motley bunch, sporting wild haircuts and improvised armour made from whatever they could find and tied on with string. As they get close they begin to shout and wave chopstick spears and toothpick swords, and a few have clothespin toothpick launchers strapped to their arms that they point at him. The cars draw closer...


------------------------------------------------------------

As Sarge and his men enter the jungle of houseplants and furniture that runs along the outside of the room, they find themselves rapidly enveloped by it, losing all sight of anything more then a few paces away. The heat and humidity begin to become stifling and oppressive. Silence closes in around them...

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:37 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10304
I take up a pose on top of the train which is impressive, and confident, and incidentally a very good jumping position from which I can launch myself into the air.

"Surrender, Elf! Surrender now, withdraw your troops, and I shall be merciful!"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8094
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Sarge and company press forward.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:26 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4076
Location: Currently on expedition.
The Elf, if he hears you at all from this distance, ignores you and continues his gloating. Meanwhile several rats have jumped managed to jump onto the train...


-----------------------------------------------------

Sarge: Awareness: Normal.
Roll: [4][5] Success!

It isn't long before Sarge and his men spot the first of the boobytraps. A tripline running to a large avocado pit studded with toothpicks set to swing along the path, such as it is. Someone definitely wants to deter any visitors.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:26 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10304
Buzz grins, letting the light glint off his teeth in a suitably heroic manner. In the back of his mind, his theme song begins to play, even as some rats sneak up behind him and others begin to fire their toothpick launchers...

Wait for it... wait for the right moment... waaaaaaait for it...

Just as the rats approach, Buzz leaps into action - by leaping into a triple somersault that takes him from the engine to a landing on the carriages directly behind the approaching rats! Without giving the rearmost rat any chance to react, Buzz grabs the rodents' sword with one hand and elbows it off the train with the other arm, and then leaps immediately to the attack, swiping at the remaining rats with his purloined weapon!

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:22 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8094
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Sarge and his men carefully navigate around the trap and proceed forward.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:15 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4076
Location: Currently on expedition.
Buzz: High-falutin' acrobatics: Excellent!
Roll:[2][4][5]. Success!

Buzz pulls off his summersault and sticks his landing behind the rats.

Buzz:Karate-Chop Action: Excellent!
Roll:[2][2][3]. Failure!

However, the rat he intended to disarm and send hurling from the train is just a little bit quicker, or luckier than anticipated, somehow managing to dodge Buzz's attack.

Rat:Swashbuckling: Average.
Roll:[6][5]. Success!

Buzz HP: 10 9.

He also manages to land a glancing blow to the Space Ranger as he flails in panic.

--------------------------------------------------

Sarge:Awareness: Normal.
Roll:[1][3]. Failure!

The pointman in Sarg's squad barely has time to shout "Contact!" before the ambushers are upon them. A team of cockroaches, wielding sticks and pen-spring and straw foil ball blasters burst from the underbrush and attack!

Roaches: Blasters: Average.
Roll:[2][4]. Failure!

Thankfully all the shots go wide, allowing Sarge and his men time to respond.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:19 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8094
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
The squad returns fire with their toy rifles.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:38 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10304
Dodge left. Dodge right. Duck, oh, that was close.

But all the rats in a row, like little skittles? It's too good an opportunity to miss.

Plant right foot firmly. Draw up left leg and kick, aiming for the rat's centre of mass. With luck, this'll knock several of them off...

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: