Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:55 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10464
The morning dawns, bright and clear.

Though the stone walls of Stokes' Castle remain thick and obstinate, the darkness which once permeated them doesn't seem to be there anymore. There are a few clouds in the sky, but now they just feel like ordinary clouds, not ominous portents. There is a certain starkness to the décor, but now it is just starkness, and not a portentous warning of trouble.

The Count and Ivan arrange a suitably large breakfast to be served to the group, over which he addresses you.

"Gentlemen. I have had some time to... consider the revelations of last night. Now, as the storm has passed by, you will no doubt be wishing to resume the journey that you interrupted to seek shelter in my castle; but before you move on, might I trouble you to lend your expertise in the unfortunate matter of my sister?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:28 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14577
Location: Yes.
Arkady nods. "If we can help, well will."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:18 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10464
"To begin with, then," says the Count. "What has happened to my sister?"

"She..." Piper glances around the room briefly. "She sold... herself. For beauty and power."

"But both have been lost?" asks the Count.

"The conduit was destroyed," says Piper. "The... means by which she obtained her powers. What it did to her is still there. But she can no longer ensorcerel the weak-minded, or project her spirit out of her body."

"But these powers can be restored, by some enemy?" asks the Count.

Piper nods. "Any Zemoch priest can do it."

"Zemoch?" the Count exclaims. "What do they have to do with this?"

Piper tilts her head slightly to one side. "Who did you think your sister sold her soul to?" she asks. "That basement - and the atrocities she committed there - that's how those devoted to Azash worship."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:18 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14577
Location: Yes.
Arkady shakes his head and glances over at Sir Ulath. "Thank you, Piper." Looking at the count he continues: "Is that what you need to know, my lord?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:00 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10464
Sir Ulath raises no objection to anything that Piper has said.

Arkady: Empathy: +5 Roll: +1 Total: +6
Sir Ulath: Resolve: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4


Arkady gets the impression that some of what Piper is saying wasn't known to Sir Ulath; but he finds all of it at least plausible.

"Mostly," says the Count, "though it does leave me with one further question. How can I best secure my sister, in such a way that no Zemoch priest can reach her?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
Nate leans forward.

"In my experience, the best way to keep someone away from a potential asset is to make that asset useless to them. If the Zemoch's want to restore your sister's powers, send her to where those powers are useless, or where they'll just be taken away again. Surround her with Church Knights or someone similar, and no Zemoch will come after her, not because they can't get to her, but because it would be too much trouble to free her."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:22 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10464
The Count nods. "Your words have merit, and deserve due contemplation. However, if I may raise a point - the Church Knights have many duties, almost all of which are vital to the defense of the Elene Kingdoms in their entirety. Tying several of them down to merely guard a single person may lead them to neglect some other point, due to a simple lack of manpower."

"Ivan," says Sir Ulath.

"What about him?" asks the Count.

"Already proved immune to her," clarifies the Knight.

The Count nods. "I could certainly have him keep watch over her," he agrees. "But I fear that that alone will not be sufficient; Ivan is loyal, but he must sleep."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:39 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14577
Location: Yes.
Arkady "He's immune to her, but she is not now the problem. The problem is the man in brown. Is Ivan immune to him? It seems not entirely, since he was at least somewhat affected by the charm that made that priest hard to remember."

After a second he goes on: "She would also need to be kept somewhere that no one but Ivan could get nearer to her than her room is from the wine cellar. We have seen that she can reach out at least that far."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:34 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8214
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Do you have any ideas? Piper?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:06 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10464
"With the conduit broken," says Piper, "she can no longer leave her own body. Stone and mortar will be sufficient to contain her."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:13 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14577
Location: Yes.
Arkady nods. "Yes, but if the conduit gets fixed, perhaps while Ivan is asleep, then either she is remote from everybody or she will be free to do what she likes. Armed men who believe what that bard did will probably not be kindly towards the count."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:43 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10464
"If the conduit were restored," says Piper, "then she could just walk out the same way that the person who restored the conduit got in."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:24 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14577
Location: Yes.
Arkady nods. "True. If she is wanting to leave, she will. If not?" He shrugs, and turns to look at the count. "Anything else, my lord?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:14 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8214
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Could always make this place a regular patrol route for the knight order. If the sister gains back her power they'll know what to do."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:56 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10464
"It would certainly help put my mind at ease to be checked up on every now and then," admits the Count.

"I'll make sure it happens," nods Sir Ulath.

"And let me not keep you any longer than necessary from your business, gentlemen. And... lady. He nods towards Theresa. "And children, of course. If there is anything I can do to aid you in your quest, then please, do not hesitate to make the request."

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: