Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post subject: Re: Pandions On Trial
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady cheerfully discusses the bees for a while, then changes the subject. "Zalasbra, I am wondering. I was asked to teach some of the local servants of the divine how to perform an exorcism. I think it is something they should be able to do, but they are not serving the right power. As far as I am guessing it would have to be changed somehow to address the powers they do serve. But if that were done, do you think the powers they serve would be at all interested in answering such a prayer?"

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:31 am 
Zalasbra briefly contemplates the question. "There's the question of whether or not they are interested," he says, "and there is the question of whether or not they are able. The gods are powerful, but do not confuse power with omnipotence - they do have their limits. There are a thousand Younger Gods in the Styric pantheon, and each of them have their own abilities, and moreover, their own views on how those abilities are to be used. Some are militant, seeking the erasure of evil; some are merciful, and believe it deserves redemption. Some are naive, some uncaring, some irrational; some might be willing but not able, some perhaps sometimes able but not willing. Your question does not have a simple yes or no answer."

"However, should you meet a priest or priestess of any of the Younger Gods, they are unlikely to be offended by the question."

--------------

Finally, the group sets out to develop trading routes, look for signs of magical artifacts, and generally explore. Following Nate's rumours, they do so in the general direction of Stoke's Mountain.

It's not long before they come across the garishly coloured caravan of Mark and Marque, last seen selling "magical" "healing" snake oil; the two salesmen have been claiming to have access to magical items (though none of the farmers that the group heard this from were able to afford any of the items in question).

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:37 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Can you verify if they have anything we could use, Piper?" Felix asks. "If not it might be safe to look elsewhere."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:53 pm 
"If I see it close up," confirms Piper, "I'll be able to tell if it's real."

She wrinkles up her nose. "It's probably not. Magic artifacts are incredibly rare."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:54 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"No reason we can't take a look, I imagine..." Felix says. "Who knows, maybe the snake oil salesmen stumbled across something genuine."

Felix will approach the Mark and Marque traders and peruse their wares, Piper tagging along should she choose to be.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:18 am 
"Greetings, gentlemen! And lady. And... children? We are Mark and Marque, travelling salesmen extraordinaire!" calls out one of the salesmen, as you approach.

"Don't bother, Mark," says the other. "We went by their settlement before, remember? They don't speak Elene."

"And I'm telling you, Marque, they were faking it," says the first one, still speaking in a jovial tone, though his smile begins to look a little strained. "They were just too rude to say 'no' like civilised people."

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:25 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady is going to content himself with just studying these two to see what he makes of them; he'll let the folks who are better at convincing do the talking.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:00 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
To the party Roger says, "Oh. These guys again. I pretended to not be able to speak Elene last time they came by to get them to leave us alone. I wasn't very convincing I guess."

To the Marks, he says, "As if pushy salesmen like you would take no for an answer," Roger says in English with a huge smile on his face.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:18 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I must apologize on behalf of my compatriots, good sirs. While I can in fact speak Elene, it is true that most of my fellow Terran cannot. If you wish to do business with our home you'll have to wait a year or so while I teach them the local languages."

Felix coughs. He takes Piper by the hand and leads her towards the cart.

"But enough of that, I believe you have wares you wish to sell, yes? I wish to peruse."

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:08 am 
Both salesmen brighten up.

"Excellent, excellent, come right in, come right in! We have wares that will appeal to anyone!" says Mark, happily.

"In the rare case that we don't have it, we can most certainly obtain it!" adds Marque, eagerly. He opens out the side of the cart to reveal a rack of wares; weapons (mostly clubs or knives), funny-coloured liquids in bottles, pots, pans, and various tools seem to make up the bulk of their goods, though there are also a few objects whose use is not immediately obvious; including a few scrolls, some kind of animal horn, and a small collection of various rocks.

"But please, might I ask," says Mark, "are you merchants? Farmers? Soldiers? Let me direct you to the wares most suited for your profession!"

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:14 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger shrugs his shoulders. He looks over the merchants stuff only because there is nothing else to do at the moment.

"Traveling salesmen are barely a step above con men, if you ask me."

Roger is not the trusting type.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:03 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Oh no, they're most definitely con men," Felix says as he idly examines the animal horn. "But this world is strange and it wouldn't be all that weirder than what we've already seen for a pair con men to stumble onto some genuine product somehow. At the very least we should verify."

"I've been forced by circumstance to play many roles as of late," Felix says. "I'm a builder by trade but I've spent time as a soldier before... Can you tell me about this item?"

Felix gestures towards the animal horn and occupies their attention while Piper has a chance to look at stuff.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:25 am 
"A fine item, a fine item, you have a good eye indeed!" says Mark.

"Why, this it the left horn of a dragon! A small amount of the powdered horn, infused in a willow-bark tea... and you'd be very popular indeed with the young ladies, if you catch my drift!" adds Marque.

"Why, for such a rare and magical item, procured at great cost from -"

"It's a troll's horn." offers Piper, in a loud, clear voice. "It's not magical at all."

The two salesconmen glare at her, briefly, before trying to recover.

"W-well, the two creatures have very similar horns, so -" says Marque.

"But we wouldn't ask you to spend your hard-earned money on something you weren't completely satisfied with!" adds Mark, putting the horn back on the display and picking up a small bottle of coloured liquid instead. "How about this, then - a potion that will cure any ill, remove any affliction, heal any -"

"Bay leaves steeped in apple juice," volunteers Piper.

Marque's eyebrow twitches.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:29 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix chuckles softly as he watches Piper taking the two apart, then decides to step in.

"This is all well and good, my friends, but it's rather easy to tell what it is, exactly, that you're all about..." Felix grabs a bottle of liquid and swirls it around, examining it. "You're in this for the money. How about we make you an offer you'll never get again in your lives? I have need of able bodied merchants to move product for me and acquire supplies for manufacture. In exchange you'll gain access to items that will make you more money than you've ever seen in your lives. We Terran are well past masters of our craft and can get you items to sell that would have nobles competing to throw the most money at you in an effort to obtain it. Tempting?"

Rapport roll, tag aspect In it for the Money and keep fate points primed to tag Rambunctious Knave and Laser focus to boost or reroll as needed.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:43 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks at Felix: "If they sell paprika as the cure for plague, we will be the ones the lynch mob will be able to be finding."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG