Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:06 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Then in his spare time Arkady is going to start to translate the Bible.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:32 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Sorry I haven't been posting much. Difficulties at home have left me drained, emotionally. Having a hard time keeping up with the game.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:43 pm 
Weremensh wrote:

Is he going to run it through the autotranslator and then fix the inevitable errors, or will he be doing the entire translation by hand?

Kajin wrote:
Sorry I haven't been posting much. Difficulties at home have left me drained, emotionally. Having a hard time keeping up with the game.

Well, I hope that your difficulties get resolved in a manner that is acceptable to all concerned parties.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:53 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
How is the colony looking? What is the food situation like? What sort of items have we begun producing? If I recall, Captain Argent had some production facilities installed a while back.

And is Talon still with us or did he drop off at the city?

Last edited by Kajin on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:12 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
CCC wrote:
Weremensh wrote:

Is he going to run it through the autotranslator and then fix the inevitable errors, or will he be doing the entire translation by hand?

I'm sure it would be faster to type it himself, even if he has to create a new font to do it first. Though since he is one of the better engineers around this would be in his spare time; not a full time gig. Getting things up and running would come first.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:27 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Ooh, hey. Can we print out a sort of Rosetta Stone? Actual dictionaries with common words and phrases between Elene and English that we can hand out to the locals that want to try and have business dealings with us? Get the beginnings of our interactions between the locals and ourselves off on the right foot?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:20 am 
The colony is looking stable. It's small, but there are a number of new faces working - and not just the doctors who have been woken up to work on the Queen's cure. The hydroponics are being repaired fairly rapidly (though there's more than enough engineering work that needs doing there), and there are enough guns to drive away any wild animals (David is very appreciative of the fact that Felix can do with one bullet what it takes the colony's normal defenders a few dozen shots to accomplish).

At the moment, the colony (under the direction of David's spreadsheets) is geared almost exclusively towards producing food, and waking up the rest of the cryogenically frozen people. The process is currently estimated to take decades. However, a few manufacturing facilities have been set up - including at least one 3D printer that can work with specifically grown soybeans (since growing them means not growing food, there is a sharply limited supply, but sometimes being able to print new tools is necessary, and sometimes it works out cheaper to create trade goods and trade them with nearby farmers). If there's something that you really need produced - as a once-off - you can probably make some arrangement, though full industrial production is still some way off.

Talon is still with you. (Well, more or less. You're not quite sure where he's wandered off to this second precisely, but he's somewhere in the Ship, probably accompanied by Piper.)

--------------

Fortunately for Arkady, the work on the original translation software included the production of an Elene font. It's not the most elegant depiction of the language (and an Elene scholar would lament the lack of illuminated capitals) but it gets the message across.

Printing it is another matter entirely. There's plenty of computing resources, but no-one's got around to manufacturing paper yet. (The local paper won't do - a printer needs paper of a consistent weight and thickness.) So far, the colony has been getting around this by the simple fact that there are more tablets than people and the Ship has decent wi-fi.

This is also the biggest problem when it comes to a dictionary of common words and phrases. (There are a few other difficulties - Elene script has no difference between f and v sounds - but they're minor, and easily ignored if both sides want to trade). Setting up a suitable document on the tablet is not hard, but you'd probably need to get paper from the locals and copy it out by hand if you want them to keep a copy. (And even then, it'll only be useful to locals who are literate, which is probably fewer than one would expect - most of the nearby farmers are illiterate, though apparently the colony has managed a small amount of simple trading by means of mostly gesture; and there's still a small medical facility near to the nearest farms, trading Terran medical expertise for more food).

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:05 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I should see if David will let me part with small amounts of stored tools for initial trade. Could boost our food reserves tremendously. Would also give him a chance to finally use his contacting skill and try to rub elbows with the locals. Make friends and gain information.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:00 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I edited my post to be more reflective of our situation (any tools David will let us take to trade as well as any furs we've accumulated). I'll go to Argent if I have to because I'd like something to help me hobnob with people and make friends.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:42 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Depending on just how much supernatural help we've been getting, we may be able to start trading spices too.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:05 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Ooh, that'd be excellent. Spices would make the gold flow like water.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:07 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Anyone got any suggestions on where to go?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:23 am 
I think it might be a good idea to try and make contact with any nearby Styric villages. If there is a war coming, it might be a good idea to make friends with the people who know the most about what we know the least. And having a cadre of experienced spellcasters to back up any military force we field could prove invaluable. On the opposite side of the equation, we can provide sanctuary and security, or at least solidarity to a persecuted minority. I seem to recall that Styric villages tend to get raided by angry mobs on a distressingly regular basis.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:29 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Good plan. I like it.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:54 am 
Weremensh wrote:
Depending on just how much supernatural help we've been getting, we may be able to start trading spices too.

Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall that you'd started growing some spices in the hydroponics units before. Very well, then; you now have a small amount of dried spices for trade purposes. Not much, but certainly enough to attract the attention of a spice merchant.

David is of the opinion that the spices would be the preferred trade goods, because producing them takes a lot less hydroponics bay space than producing the feedstock for the 3D printer. Given that you have trade goods (spices and any furs you've managed to get from forest creatures), would you like to insist on some tools for trade as well?

balthazar wrote:
I seem to recall that Styric villages tend to get raided by angry mobs on a distressingly regular basis.

You have certainly heard of this, yes. The Church Knights disapprove of the practice, but have not yet being able to stomp it out completely.

Probably the best nearby (on-site) people to ask about finding Styric villages are Piper and Zalasbra. Which of them will you speak with on this matter first? (Or would you rather take some other option?)

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG