Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:43 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Does Felix think he can even take out so many soldiers with his explosives or are there too many?

We can't let the Seeker escape. I say we soften the enemy forces with explosives before opening the gates and leading Alstrom's forces in an all out attack.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:10 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
It's a tightly packed mass of men on a causeway. The machine gun can easily slaughter them barring hostile magic. What I'd like to know is how they plan to charge a wall behind water on four sides; there's been no mention of siege towers on the boats.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:43 am 
Against an ordinary army that size, Felix has more than enough explosives to rout them and force a retreat. Whether or not he has enough to kill them all given that they won't retreat is another matter entirely. If he'd had time to prepare the battlefield beforehand, it wouldn't be a problem, but as it is, it could go either way, really...

Weremensh wrote:
What I'd like to know is how they plan to charge a wall behind water on four sides; there's been no mention of siege towers on the boats.

That seems to be a lot of what they're milling around and arranging back there. Having left the boats and formed up on shore, they've got a moat and a wall to contend with; they seem to be lining up with long planks and siege ladders, presumably for the purposes of moat-bridging and wall-climbing.

The major delay is getting all the very long ladders off the ships.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Can I spend a fate point to say a large group of genuine church knights arrives? Maybe they wanted to try and convince Ortzel to allow magic if he got elected Arch-Prelate?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:56 am 
Deus ex machina? I didn't think I'd made this army quite that worrisome.

Look, they're going to be several minutes getting their ladders arranged and properly off the ships and lining up their charge. Until they do charge, you've got battlements to duck behind, they can't do much to you.

You have time to make plans. You don't have to go directly to war this minute. You have a good idea of what you're up against, now. And you've got allies; the Baron Alstrom will do almost anything to get his brother out safely, and he has an army of his own in here (albeit an army of mere ordinary mortals).

Take a few minutes, think about things, and put together a plan before heading out there.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:01 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I suppose I could head inside and talk to Alstrom about my idea to charge he Seeker... Suppose we lower the drawbridge and lure them into tight spaces so my grenades are more effective?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:47 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The party has a medium machine gun and several assault rifles. Killing everyone on the causeway is pretty much a trivial task, especially since just whittling them down enough would let the local crossbowmen finish the job.

However, I'm curious what the flash-bangs did to the other humans and the horses who were in range when they went off. Sitting on a stunned horse is generally synonymous with having the horse fall on your leg.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:51 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
We pepper them from the ramparts first, that's a given. Then once it looks like they're going to take the wall we lower the drawbridge and flank them from the sides.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:33 pm 
Weremensh wrote:
However, I'm curious what the flash-bangs did to the other humans and the horses who were in range when they went off. Sitting on a stunned horse is generally synonymous with having the horse fall on your leg.

Count Groan managed to retain enough presence of mind (and was apparently a good enough horseman) to prevent his horse from falling on his leg after the first flashbang. The clerky fellow was over on the other side of Count Groan; his horse was startled, but far enough away not to be stunned.

By the time of the second flashbang, both of them were off their horses.

The Seeker's horse simply ignored both flashbangs, despite the fact that it was the closest horse to the flashbang both times.

The soldiers, like the Seeker's horse, ignored the flashbangs entirely.

No-one else was on a horse, because horses take up a lot of space on a boat.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:59 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Did Groan look like it affected him at least a little or did he ignore it like the soldiers?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:27 pm 
Groan was shaking his head and blinking after the first time - and clearly dismounted his horse before fully recovering either vision or hearing. The second one got him before he'd finished recovering from the first, and seemed to leave him somewhat stunned and deafened.

He'll recover, but he's not exactly happy.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:39 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Well, since he's clearly affected while the soldiers aren't then he hasn't been bitten. So he's either in league with Azash or he's been enthralled some other way.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Once this is said and done we need to get into a social battle with Ortzel and try to inflict a serious consequence involving allowing the church knights to continue practicing magic. If that's not feasible we should make up for this and form our own Knights Terra (haven't given up on that!), then put out a recruiting ad to all the knight organizations that lost their magic to see if we can't poach ourselves some magic users.

Additional note. Once we get our production up and running we should make ourselves a nice profit selling weapons and offering weapons training to replace the use of magic in the Elene military arms. Sell simple rifles, grenades, and such. Use them to arm the troops. Open up a boot camp and issue the Army Reserve edict where every peasant must endure a month long training regimen where they learn to fight the Terran way.

Where's Martel, btw? You mentioned in OOC he was there but none of the game posts feature him.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:01 am 
Martel hasn't been seen in this area since he (under a false name) fomented distrust and stirred up war between Baron Alstrom and Count Groan. Mention of him in the OOC thread was in response to the idea of putting up WANTED notices for information leading to his arrest and/or death.

Martel's current location is not known to the party, but there's no particular reason to assume he's still around; he could easily be stirring up trouble someplace else.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:37 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
What does Alstrom say of my plan?

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG