Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:48 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14533
Location: Yes.
Arkady contemplates the Bible for a second, then Lady Sephrenia. "You are the expert here. And if I am not needing to, I would rather not know how how much lightning I can survive." He glances over at the other Terrans and asks "Unless one of you packed a lightning rod?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
"I might have some detonator wire, would that work?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:12 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10411
"That depends," says Sephrenia, as Felix puts the final touches on his explosives, "on what 'detonator wire' is and -"

"This is your last chance!" call out the policemen on the end of the pier. "Drop your weapons and surrender AT ONCE!" In a smoothly coordinated motion, the four in the front draw their sword and start marching along the pier towards the group, while the rest of them load their crossbows and cover the swordsmen

It's at this point that lightning bursts from the clouds, in a glowing, incandescent wall that strikes down multiple times on the far end of the pier. The continual booms of the thunder are deafening, and the glow of the lightning is blinding - the four policemen never had a chance, as the lightning burns right through them and through the pier, cutting the end the party is standing on off from the land, leaving nothing but a few wisps of smoke and a sprinkling of ash.

"Captain," says Sephrenia, to the one Rendorish ship captain who hadn't yet left port, "may we please come aboard?"

"Suuuuuuuuure," drawls the man. "Long as you, like, no violence, right? No violence on board."

"Of course not, Captain." She hurries towards the ship. "He says we're welcome aboard, as long as we're not violent. Come along, everyone, let's move."

Felix now has two detonators - the one for the explosives he has set up, and the one Nate gave him for the explosives Nate would swear he left on board Martel's ship. He can use either or both.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:25 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8170
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix skedaddles in the direction of the friendly ship. Once he makes sure everyone is out of range he presses his own detonator, not trusting Nate's hazy memory.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:10 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14533
Location: Yes.
Arkady boards the ship and nods towards the captain. "I would be liking a nice, peaceful voyage myself, Lord willing."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:20 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 2795
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger follows after the others.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:15 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10411
The Rendorish man looks mystified at Arkady's comment, then offers Arkady his herbal pipe. "Want to try it, dude?" It seems you've discovered one of the few people who don't speak Elene.

Once everyone is on the other ship, Felix presses the detonator.

There are, in very short, order, two explosions from Martel's ship.

The first explosion is Felix' explosives, disintegrating the sides of the ship and filling the inside with hot burny death. The second explosion comes from inside the ship, pretty much disintegrating most of what's left and leaving a large cloud of dust in its place.

(Somewhere off in the distance, a group of sailors are very glad they jumped ship when they did, and they swim away faster).

One or two bits of the ship are still, miraculously, contiguous. Most of the main mast, for example, flies up at a steep angle, like a giant bolt launched from the world's biggest ballista. For a moment, the rest of the ship is hidden, behind a cloud of dust and wood fragments...

...and then the clouds *move*. They twist and bend, and a funnel cloud extends from the base of the storm. It touches the sea - and draws up a vast quantity of water.

And not just water; the twisting winds pull up with them vast amounts of air, and the cloud of dust that had hidden the remains of the ship.

You can't see much (the other ship having been on the far side of the pier), but given the fact that the storm is still moving, it seems that the Damork probably lived through the explosions.

The Knights, under Lady Sephrenia's direction, are pulling ropes, adjusting sails, and pretty much preparing to get the ship moving ASAP. The Rendorish presumably-Captain is looking out at the waterspout, his eyes wide, his jaw dropped. "Duuuuuuuuude!" Piper is playing some complex tune, with great rapidity, music ducking and diving and weaving around itself over the entire ship.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:07 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14533
Location: Yes.
Arkady looks at this show and says in Ukrainian: "Lord, forgive me if I was unclear. When I told you that I do not like multiple rocket launchers I did not mean it to be a challenge. And if you would not mind, please look out for us. Amen."

That aside he's going to take his cue from Lady Sephrenia, which means he's now helping to cast off the lines and push the boat away from the pier.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:58 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8170
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"God helps those who help themselves, I hear," Felix says as he shoulders his shotgun and pulls out his rifle. "Theresa, help me keep an eye on that storm. If the creature that's doing this was in that ship, it'll be in that funnel cloud."

Felix crouches behind the railing of the ship and uses it to balance his rifle and take aim at the funnel cloud.

"How long do we got before it notices us?" Felix asks. "I don't want to start shooting at it only for it realize where we are because I did."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:49 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10411
The ship is swiftly cast off and, ignoring minor little things like winds and tides, starts slipping rapidly out to sea.

Nathan: Alertness: +4 Roll: +0
Felix: Alertness: +2 Roll: +0
Arkady: Alertness +1 Roll: +0
Roger: Alertness +3 Roll: -2 Total: +1


Felix, glancing behind the ship, notices that the ship is not leaving a wake; Nathan, looking over the edge, notices that any wave that hits the side of the ship seems to reconstitute itself on the far side of the ship.

Kajin wrote:
"How long do we got before it notices us?" Felix asks. "I don't want to start shooting at it only for it realize where we are because I did."


"Unless that weapon can put out a bonfire in a single shot," says Sephrenia drily, "don't even fire it. The Damork is a creature of fire and flame, and can survive what would kill a battalion. It's human-sized, and it won't be in the waterspout - it's almost certainly behind the pier. It - probably managed to shield a small part of the ship from your explosion, and I imagine it's standing on that part, like a raft. We'll probably see it as soon as we swing past the remains of the pier."

The waterspout starts moving rapidly in the direction of the fleeing civilian ships, while the storm drops a curtain of lightning along the length of what is left of the pier, disintegrating most of it.

"I think you might have made it a little angry," opines Sir Sparhawk.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:32 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 2795
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
"Thank you for allowing us on board, and thank you for the kind offer of your pipe. I think we will have to decline for now as I suspect we will need our wits about us for the time being."

CCC wrote:
"I think you might have made it a little angry," opines Sir Sparhawk.

"You can say that again."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:37 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8170
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Well, the fact it survived what I did to the ship comes as a complete shock to me," Felix says. "So while I'm certain this could take it out I'm a touch more hesitant than I was before."

Felix sighs as he takes a moment to fix everyone's rifles with grenade launching attachments and cryo bombs.

"I should hope the same thing with ice and snow would do the trick."

Once he's done, he'll take aim where the creature is supposed to be but will hold fire unless there's a clear and present danger. If Nate wants his visor, he can take it.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:12 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14533
Location: Yes.
Arkady shakes his head then shrugs. He looks from his launcher to Lady Sephrenia. "Lady, would lightning hurt that thing? It is not being the only power around that can call it, from what we have seen. It could be that we become that desperate."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:29 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10411
The Rendorish man shrugs. "Your loss, dude."

He takes another puff from his pipe, looking out at the events unfolding around them with a complete lack of concern.

Felix sees no clear and present danger to the ship that he is on. One cannot say nearly as much for the other ships in the vicinity - even as they watch, the waterspout hits the first civilian ship, crushing it like a bug. It stays in position there for a few moments, while a few badly mangled planks rain down nearby.

As they sail past the ruins of the pier, the Damork can be seen - a squat, vaguely humanoid (but no human's knees ever bent like that and the arms are far too long) shape, apparently made of fire and flame, standing on a near-circular section of ship's hull that's surprisingly undamaged aside from a few scorch marks.

"It might," says Sephrenia, "depending on the source of the lightning and... various other factors. But I know of no way to call down lightning which wouldn't reveal our location to it, and even when it can hurt the Damork, it will not be enough to destroy its current body. Why don't you tell me more about what you have in mind?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:12 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14533
Location: Yes.
Arkady looks at the fire spirit and answers: "There are powers around here that give off a kind of light people can't see. We know how to see and shine that kind of light with machines, so we've seen them do it. When we tried to imitate the specific way they do it to be saying hello, the machine that did it was destroyed by lightning in a closed room."

He looks back at his fellow Terrans, and says: "We have another of those machines with us. They are not very big."

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: