Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:34 pm 
I think finding Sir Sparhawk would be a good idea.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:02 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Do you want to look for him directly or go ask our local contact for information we can pursue? We could do both instead and have Felix and Theresa peruse the market, using my Contacting skill to listen for rumors that may be interesting. Could have Talen with us to help.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:10 am 
Dodger77 wrote:
CCC, I've been meaning to ask you. I'm supposed to get a bonus language* right? I kind of assumed you would just assign me one and I would eventually come in to contact with someone I understood but no one else did. But I realize that's a weird and very specific assumption so maybe you were just waiting for me to bring it up?

*Due to either Linguist or Gift of Tongues stunt. I can't remember which it was at the moment.

You get all the languages from Earth. Greek, Latin, Mandarin, Afrikaans, Arabic, you name it. Admittedly, almost none of that is immediately useful on a whole new planet, but you have those anyhow. Thanks to Scientific Genius (Computers) you also know C++, Java, Haskell, Fortran, LOLCODE... a whole bunch of others.

You also get nine (4 from Academics plus 5 from Linguist) slots which you can use to speak any language that you have absolutely no business knowing, one way or the other. Now, so far, you've been moving around in territories in the Elene kingdoms; since all player characters get Elene for free, and most people in the Elene kingdoms speak Elene (that being the local lingua franca), you haven't needed to use those slots yet, either.

When you do feel that you need to use those slots, well, it's up to you. Pick a language that you come across, or that you find out about, and voila, suddenly your character will notice that it's surprisingly and entirely coincidentally similar to some ancient variant of Greek or something, and from there you'll be able to figure out the gist of what anyone is saying. (You'll still have a noticeable accent when you try to speak it, but you won't have any particular trouble getting your point across).

But it's your choice which language(s) those are. There are foreign languages in these settings; there are at least three characters who speak Styric (Piper, Zalasbra, and Lady Sephrenia) and right now, walking along the street, you're surrounded by people speaking Rendorish to each other. (Mind you, they're almost certainly not saying anything immediately useful. You don't need to understand the language to realise that those two guys over there are haggling over the price of a chicken, for example).

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:23 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Does magic have its own language?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:33 pm 
Based on the radio transmissions we've been intercepting? Maybe.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:02 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
balthazar wrote:
Based on the radio transmissions we've been intercepting? Maybe.

I'm jokingly assuming that radio static is the primordial language of the gods.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Wait, seriously 9?! Good lord. (Sorry Kajin, I thought *sure* you were exaggerating XD) In that case, I think it will be useful to slot in Rendorish. (I may opt for Styric at some point too)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:27 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
In fairness, Ukrainian has worked well enough so far. I get the feeling the important bit is the mage, not the language. Or the power/demigod/god, as the case may be.

In passing, I suspect the local rabble rouser and Martel may be the same quest; deal with one, we'll find the other.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:35 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Dodger77 wrote:
Wait, seriously 9?! Good lord. (Sorry Kajin, I thought *sure* you were exaggerating XD) In that case, I think it will be useful to slot in Rendorish. (I may opt for Styric at some point too)

No, I looked it up using the rules included in the first OC thread. Was dead serious. If there's a way for mortals to ascend to godhood I'd say you're more than qualified to become the god of language.

Also, can we get those rules edited into the top of the first post of our OC threads from now on? It's really useful.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:49 am 
Yeah. Gift of Tongues is - well, you have a ton of language slots.

Rendorish it is, then. Between your previous incredible knowledge of languages and all the Rendorish chatter you've been quietly listening to, you think you could probably navigate your way around the language.

I'll make sure to add the rules link to future OOC first posts.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:32 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Man, I really want to take the Mister-Fix-It stunt as soon as I can. When's the next time we can select new stuff? After we bring Darestim back to the ship, maybe? There's also a couple stunts I never use that I'd like to trade in as well, if at all possible.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:15 am 
Kajin wrote:
Man, I really want to take the Mister-Fix-It stunt as soon as I can. When's the next time we can select new stuff? After we bring Darestim back to the ship, maybe?

...maybe. Let's see if you can deliver some sort of decisive blow against the Forces of Evil first. (Getting the Darestim back isn't a decisive blow. Curing the Queen would be an example of a decisive blow, but by far not the only example).

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:45 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
If Sir Sparhawk and Lady Sephrenia want to take my suggestion, just go ahead and have Felix roll Contacting to see if he can't rub elbows with people and luck into a connection that can get him into a meeting with Aramsham as foreign dignitaries of the decidedly non magical Terran Colony.

Tag Unknown Science of Magic (or, alternatively, Terrans Do Without) if such an aspect exists to boost the roll. I have a fate point on standby to tag Fortune Roulette in case another boost or reroll is needed.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:32 am 
Dun dun dun dunnnnn!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:07 am 
Oh boy.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG