Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9623
After poking randomly through a few stalls for a few minutes, Talen slips away... and slips back five minutes later, tugging on the nearest person's sleeve. "This way."

He leads the group into a small alleyway. Against convention, it is neither dark nor shadowy; in fact, the full hammer heat of the sun slams directly down into it, exacerbated by the bleached-white sand and buildings around it. Talen knocks at a nearby door in a complicated pattern, and a small eyeslit slides open. A pair of eyes glares out at the brightly-lit alleyway.

"These are the gentlemen?" growls a deep voice.

"That's them," nods Talen.

The eyes glare out the eyeslit at the group. "Those who choose to enter," the voice says after its owner has inspected the group, "are to leave any weapons in the receptacle to the left on entry. If you fail to do so, please do consider that our weapons only need to scratch to kill you most painfully."

The eyeslit closes, and the door creaks open...

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:52 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix nods in acceptance and drops the bag containing his crossbow/shotgun into the bin. He instructs Theresa to do the same and explains the situations so she understands what's going on.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:30 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 13992
Location: Yes.
Idly contemplating just how far this is from the first time he's had to trust a thief, Arkady comments to Piper: "Now if we had a whale, we'd have to leave it behind here. This is why smaller pets can be handier to have around." He checks his 'crossbow' at the door, and inquires about his utility blade (the equivalent of an eating knife).

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:09 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9623
"We couldn't leave a whale here," objects Piper, tossing nothing into the box (and, as far as anyone can see, carrying nothing with her). "There's no water."

"If you have to ask." says the large man in the shadows by the door in response to Arkady's query, "then toss it in. You'll get it back when you leave."

Coming into the dark room from the bright sunlight outside leaves everyone's eyes struggling to adjust; no-one can tell how many people there may or may not be further into the room.

Theresa and Sir Ulath slip in as well, Sir Ulath for once leaving his axe behind - along with the warning "If you mess with my axe, I will be extremely upset."

--------------

Once everyone who's coming in is in, the door is shut, and a dark lantern is uncovered - pointing directly at the visitors, making it hard to make out the person or people sitting behind the lantern. "Now, gentlemen," says a voice, "I'm given to understand you're here on business from my good friend Platime, in Cimmura?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:05 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 13992
Location: Yes.
Arkady tries to read these folks. "He's agreed to help us acquire something hard to come by."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:38 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9623
"Hmmmm," says the voice in the dark behind the lantern. "What exactly is it that you wish to purchase, and will you be able to meet the price we ask?"

Sir Ulath takes a large bag of coins off his belt. "We're looking for something called Darestim."

"Hmmmm, yes," says the voice in the dark. "A poison with no antidote. You'll need that coin, but we might well ask more from you than just coin. Tell me first - who do you intend to kill with it?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:32 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"No one you'd know," Felix responds. "We plan on using it internally, within Terran society."

Felix gestures at himself and his companions.

Rapport roll, Base +4. Theresa +3. Tag aspect The Technical Truth for +2 or reroll as appropriate, if such an aspect exists.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9623
There's a long moment of silence, and then the voice speaks again.

"Would you be in a position to give your target several low doses over a period of time, or will you require a single, large dose?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:32 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"A large, singular dose will have to suffice," Felix says. "We don't have many opportunities to approach the target who will be receiving the dose."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:34 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9623
"Then, gentlemen, Darestim is not the poison you require. A single large dose will induce vomiting and be ineffective. In order to kill your target with Darestim, you require continual small doses, over a period of weeks, or months. However, I have a number of other, less expensive poisons available which are effective in single doses."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:46 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"It'll work," Felix says. "We have extended release techniques that can trap poisons in the body and make them release over long periods of time. Just tell us how long it needs to be spread out so we can encapsulate the Darestim accordingly."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:44 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9623
There's a brief silence from outside the lamplight, just long enough to suggest either scepticism or surprise.

"Would you be willing to share these techniques?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:27 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"As of right this very moment? No." Felix says. "Just to operate the equipment would take years of training for your men and the equipment itself is costly to replace. If I removed it and sent it to you questions would be asked. Given a few months or a year or so of time I'll be able to obtain the personal freedom necessary to begin negotiations on that. Whether I do it for you for small coin in the long term or teach you to do it for big coin in a one off exchange can be decided then."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9623
It's been hard for Arkady to figure out much about a figure that he can't see. Eyes he can't look into, a face he cannot observe...

But he can hear the man talking. He can listen to the words, to the tone of voice, and, perhaps more tellingly, to the pauses. Even the fact that the man is so careful to remain hidden says something...

Arkady: Empathy: +5 Hidden Target: -2 Roll: +2 Total: +5 Target: +3

This man, the voice in the dark, sounds like a Businessman. He is not going to prevaricate. He is not going to dance around the truth. He might straight-out lie - if he does so, it will not be easy to spot, and he will have a clear reason for it. He is here to make a sale, and he intends to do so. He is not asking any questions without reason; every question that he asks has an answer that he considers important.

Arkady suspects that the man might be looking vaguely towards repeat business - which implies that he's unlikely to outright cheat you for no reason.

"Very well," he says. "Then I shall assume that you will handle the question of dose yourself. The price for Darestim comes in two parts, gentlemen. The first part is cash. This I will assume that you have access to, or you would not be here. The second part is a little different. I will require you to do one thing for me. And as you an I do not have any prior relation, I will require you to complete this task in advance."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:14 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 13992
Location: Yes.
Arkady comments: "You don't seem the type to waste our time or an opportunity, so I assume this task isn't too outrageous."

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: