Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:14 pm 
"Once exposed, the effects usually last several hours. So we expose them earlier while they're on their way to the castle. That will also give it time to take effect. Our troops, won't be at risk of exposure if we plan this right."

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:19 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"We could always just go the easy route and blast the horses and riders into tiny pieces with explosives," Felix replies. "We brought a fair bit of those, too. Bury a charge every few yards along the road, then when they show up ignite it. Horses are gone. Riders are gone. Road and most of the trees surrounding are gone, too. No prisoners, unfortunately, but it eliminates the threat altogether."

Felix thinks on it.

"Might be easier to show you what we're capable of doing, then let you come up with a strategy you think is sound," Felix says. "Is there an isolated area around here where we can show what we can do without anyone knowing?"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:53 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady comments "We can set off a flash bang so you can see for yourself. It's very unpleasant, but safe enough that we sometimes use them to help free hostages back home. Your knights hide back among the trees on foot, we set off the hidden weapons, and everyone runs up and takes captives. The wagon with the strange machines on top will wait back up the road with some mounted knights to make sure no one runs. But if we are deciding to simply kill them..." he turns to Sir Ulath and continues "Sir Ulath, please tell them what happened to those trees I cut down."

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:17 am 
"We don't know which direction they'll be approaching the castle from," says Vanire. "This makes it difficult to expose them while they're on the way here. Also, I think they'll probably notice something is off and call it off. Martel certainly would, if he's there. So, it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's quite practical."

He smiles at Felix. "I must say, I really like the idea of blasting both horses and riders. I don't suppose you can keep the explosive force down low enough to just kill the horses? Or, better yet, leave a small area - enough for maybe half a dozen riders - right in front of the drawbridge - untouched? The only prisoners I want are the leaders, and they'll probably be right there, requesting entrance... if we keep the genuine Knights hidden in the woods, well back from the explosion - right on the far side of the main road, if necessary - then they can be right there as soon as it goes off."

"If you're making big explosions anywhere around here," says the Count, "chances are very good that someone will see you and start spreading rumours. There's a lot of farmland around here, and a lot of people working in fields - and inside the castle courtyard, of course, there are the servants. I don't believe anyone here will deliberately work against my interests, but there will be idle gossip, almost certainly."

Sir Ulath shrugs. "Big bang," he says. "Tree fell over. The cockatrice nest was far more spectacular."

"What happened to the cockatrice nest?" asks Vanire.

"Bigger bang. Lots of fire. Cockatrices dead."

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:42 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Yeah, we can do that," Felix replies. "Shape the charges and place them in certain areas so they only hit who we want and the force travels in the direction we want. Small charges that are only strong enough to shatter or destroy the legs of the horses but leave the riders intact, or large charges powerful enough to kill horse and rider both but directed towards the back of the group so those in front are comparatively unharmed."

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:26 am 
"Claymore directional fragmentation mines. With three weeks, we should be able to wire the road in front of the gate to go up like the international fireworks festival, with just as much control and precision. Heck, mine under the road. Hey Count Radun, how do you feel about your castle getting a second moat?"

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:59 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady comments in English: "We can also turn flash-bangs into bouncing bettys; immobilize both men and horses, but leave us with live horses to trade for supplies for the ship. Assuming Felix can be getting them to agree to that." In Elene, he continues "Your knights are experienced horsemen, Preceptor?"

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:28 am 
Vanire nods, smiling. "One big bang and the false Knights will be dead, except for the leaders, who will be suddenly dismounted, horseless, and minutes away from being surrounded by a couple of hundred genuine Pandions. I like this idea. I like it very much."

"I don't have any philosophic objections to a new moat," says the Count. "Though I'd probably just have it filled in again, to be honest. I'm not sure it's necessary to explode all the way around the castle."

Vanire beams at Arkady. "My Pandions are all experienced horsemen, and the column coming up behind us will be mounted on well-trained warhorses as well," he states. "Being able to properly control a horse is one of those things that is completely necessary before becoming a full Knight."

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:17 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady nods. "So if a knight on foot comes across a stunned and blinded horse with a stunned and blinded rider on it, he would be able to deal with the rider and then bring the horse under control? It seems a shame to slaughter valuable horses if we don't have to."

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:56 am 
Vanire shrugs. "Better for a horse to be slaughtered than for one of my Pandions to be killed because he was distracted while in combat," he says. "As for the three of you - you can set up that absurdly long-ranged weapon of yours pretty much anywhere, right?"

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:13 am 
"The TAC-50 is a large beast, but not overly heavy or cumbersome. I'd appreciate a flat stable surface to shoot from, but other then that, all I need is a clear view of the target."

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:36 am 
"Excellent," says Vanire. "In that case, I propose that the three of you set up on the castle battlements, just over the gate. You'll have an excellent view of everything, and a firm, stable surface to shoot from."

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:01 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shrugs, then turns to the count. "If you don't mind losing the trees along the road, I think we can use them to defeat the mercenaries without risking them seeing anything too soon or involving the local farmers." He turns to the other Terrans and says "Auger them out from the back, plant the charges past the sapwood, run the wires up the trunks away from the road. The wood chips will be our fragments, and the trees will fall on the survivors. Their infantry mops up, and it's tea time. We don't even need more than two boxes to set it up."

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I'd rather one of us be on the castle battlements providing long range supporting fire while the remaining two of us remain in the truck on the ground out of the way," Felix replies. "The truck can outrun any horse and the turret can gun down any soldier trying to flee before they make their escape and warn the enemy."

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:46 am 
"I have absolutely no objection to losing the trees in order to save my family," says the Count.

"I am going to insist that all three of you stay inside the Castle during the attack," says Vanire. "You're foreign diplomats, and I'm not going to have you risking your lives. Two of you can certainly wait in the courtyard in the truck if you really want, though."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG