Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:17 pm 
Website: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=122705047
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: marauderpilot
Ok, as you no doubt noticed, my first attempt at an RPG-the Dire Legion Battletech RPG-died. And it's pretty much my fault. Yeah. Totally my fault. Man, running an RPG is HARD! I have a newfound respect for everybody who's been able to run a succesful one! But I want to make another run at it. I'm scrapping the old storyline, as I lost pretty much all inspiration as for what to fill it with.

So, now what? Well, I'm thinking of a new episodic storyline-ie several smaller stories or whatever, not always related. I'd like to keep the merc unit idea, so nobody has to make up new characters, unless they want to. I'm going to (Although he'll still have a Marauder, it wouldn't truly be my char without one). Also, new players are more the welcome. That includes people who have no freakin' clue what Battletech is. Don't worry, the more Battletech-literate people will help you with whatever you need.

Now, for the setting and stuff: I'm thinking of setting you as a merc unit during the Dark Age (3125-ish, after the ComStar network goes down, the setting for Mechwarrior: Age of Destruction). Why? Well, as a MWDA player, the universe is sorta rebuilding, so I can throw you in pretty much anywhere. As for tech, I'm not going to restrict designs or whatever, since you can justify it pretty much anyways you want, and this lets you use some of the cooler new MWDA designs, like the Valiant and Ursa and such. Or, the ugly, crappy ones, like the Blade if you really want. I'm going to use the same combat system and whatnot, though, because I thought it worked well.

Now, for the story bitz-I'm going to leave alligences and whatnot open for you. I'm going to try and offer a few different contracts for you to pick. So, if you want, you could spend one mission fighting with Bannson's Raiders against the Highlanders and the Republic, the next mission with the Stormhammers, holding off a Jade Falcon attack or whatever.

Anyways, I'd like to see who's still interested from last time, and anyone new who wants to join the part-ay. Again, no experience needed in Battletech-we'll give you everything you need. I'm planning on running this about half/half for storyline and combat: I'd like to have a story and characters all develop, but I wanna see some 'Mechs get blown to pieces, too!

Finally, one last thing-I'd like someone/someones to be an 'emergency backup GM'-if I'm brainfarting or whatever, to take over until I get back. Again, I have very little experience running an RPG-my previous experience consists of, well, the first attempt at this RPG. But, still, I'd like to give it another go.

EDIT: Oh, and if someone would like to be the emergency backup GM, they kinda need to have some knowledge of the Battletech universe.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:24 pm 
A link to the mech designs of this era would be handy.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:54 pm 
AOL: quesoLOCO27
I'm in again, Murr. And I have a better understanding of things now. Felicia's 'Mech will no longer have the capacity to "talk dirty" since she wouldn't understand it. Of course, I may have to change its name because of that... but I'd like to run with the stats I had.
I don't suppose you still had those, didja? :kiki:
Because I don't. *sweatdrop*

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:06 pm 
Waffle, all the MWDA designs can be seen here.
Granted, the don't have much in the way of traditional TROs yet, but WizKids is going to make those...uh, well, I think soon-ish. However, all the redesigns and whatnot of older 'Mechs (Atlas, Zeus, etc) are the same as the most recent older ones (Project Phoenix, 3052+ TROs, whatever). The new ones...well, for some, I can probably find out, but none of the 'Mechs for the Age of Destruction expansion have any info, and many of the Falcon's Prey and Counterassault 'Mechs are info-less, too. However, I'll see what I can do.

Queso, sorry! I don't have it...in fact, the only ones I have are waffle's and Poultry's characters. That's the real reason I'm making a new one-I don't remember anything about Damien besides his name and his 'Mech! Someone else might have it-didn't waffle write it, anyways?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:48 pm 
Marauder_Pilot wrote:
didn't waffle write it, anyways?
*looks innocent* May-be...?
Yes. Very yes. I should've saved it, but I wasn't thinking.
By the way, I still have our battlethread. Want to fight? :kiki:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:05 pm 
Ooh, I'd almost forgotten about that! Sure, bring it back!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:09 am 
AOL: captplati
Location: To have the right to do something is not the same as being right in doing it
William is back in (taught at the inner sphere tech school at young age. Captain of a light merc assault force that was destroyed. Has a pitch-black warhammer with yello captain stripes painted on the side of the PPC's. Fairly religious. VERY protective of his mec's and pilots due to his earlier loss. Ring a bell?)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:32 am 
What the heck. I'm in. Don't know about this new format though. Where's my PPC?

Oh well, at least they still have Hatchetmen.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:30 am 
Hey, you're still more the welcome to bring older designs to the party. Remeber, not everything was blown up during the Jihad, or decommisioned after. I'm just offering those up as more options, because some of them are pretty cool. I'm very partial to the Ursa quad and the new Zeus, myself.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:35 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
MWDA can burn in the firey hells of a dozen white hot suns. WhizKids, while I applaud thier efforts to keep The battletech universe moving on, Has perverted my pure RPG and turned it into a Warhammer-esque collectable game where the only way to win is to buy more and more and more and more and more miniatures. Until you can play MWDA with pens and paper, dice and imagination, Technical Readouts and mechs that cannot be taken down by footsoldiers, I reject everything associated with it. FanPro, I applaud for keeping Classic Battletech alive.

That being said, Scott Cooper is more than willing to bring his Ex Comguard self, and his Vixen, (Plague, the locust is far weaker than na Vixen, so there we are) back into the fold.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:38 pm 
AOL: captplati
Location: To have the right to do something is not the same as being right in doing it
OK...Warhammer IIC

2 ER PPC
5 Med. pulse lasers
1 SRM-6
20 Heat sinks
Walk 4 hex
Run 6 hex
No JJ

Black with Yellow captain's stripes on the "shoulders"

Pilot: William Dresden
Was trained at the Inner Sphere's Technical Institute as a mech pilot at the age of 16 (youngest pilot at that time). Was considered "gifted" with batallion analysis and planning. Began in a recon unit, and quickly advanced rank. At age 21, was given rank of Captain and control of a second-line mech betallion. During the war and fall with Comstar, his batallion suffered a tremendous defeat. All mech pilots other than William were lost. His closest friend, "Thomas", was killed right while trying to save William from a rear attack. William left the military, never fully recovering from the loss.

Since this time, William floated between the clans looking for mercenary work. His reputation preceeded him, and he was offered several very lucrative runs. Eventually, one of the clans purchased a Mech for William as a repayment for a "clandestined operation". William's mech was painted black for the night-time operation. He painted the yellow captain's bars on their as a reminder of his responsibility and failure.

In combat, he is often heard talking to "Tom". Some may question his sanity but not his dedication to his team.

OOC: Hope this works for this time period. Not used to anything after early 3000.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:05 pm 
I'm unclear on the setting changes. Could someone give me a brief rundown of where we are in Battletech history?

As for mechs, after dancing around in a light, I want to mix it up in something heavier.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:11 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
Scott Cooper.
Birthplace: Georgia, Terra
Service Record:
Graduated Sandurst Military Academy, England, Terra, Technical Branch. Served in the 126th Field Operations Regiment, Comguards, Macon, Ga, Terra.
Commissioned Adept (Lieutennant) after his skills in piloting were recognized after a Word of Blake raid.
Left Comstar for unspecified reasons once his second tour was complete. Disposessed, but with a wide storehouse of technical experience and contacts he was able to exploit, he was able to obtain a Locust-IIC Corpse which he rebuilt and modified to the -IIC5 version carrying Advanced Tactical Missile system he obtained through his Clan Diamond Shark Contacts.
After serving with local militia as a head tech and lance commander, he was able to obtain a Distressed Vixen class mech through his Clan Diamond Shark connections which he was able to repair and modify to the Vixen2 version.
A Master Tech, he's also handy with a spraygun, so the mechs are repainted into the predominant camoflauge scheme of the situation whenever possible. His Masterpeice was disguising his Locust mech to simulate Local Palm Trees on one world. Standing still the mech was indistinguishable from the real thing standing next to him.

mechs:
-LOCUST-IIC5
Clan 2nd line
25 Tonnes
Flip Arm Capability
Ferro Fiberous Armor
Endo Steel Internals
Standard 200 rated Engine.
Speed: 8/12/0
Armor: 77 H:8 CT:10/3 RLT: 8/2 RLA:8 RLL:10
Heat Sinks: 20
Weapons: 2xCLATM3(2) CLERML ()

-VIXEN
Clan 2nd line
30 Tonnes
Ferro Fiber armor
Endo steel Internals
Xtra Light 270 rated engine
Speed: 9/14/0
Armor: 105 H:9 CT:15/5 RLT:10/4 RLA:10 RLL:14
Heat Sinks:20
Weapons: 2xCLERML 4xCLMG(1) CLLPL

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:40 pm 
I'll be going with a standard Nova D again... with all of the standard features. That makes it easier. Once I get home, I'll find those stats and post them here... and I'll re-post Felix's personality and such again as best as I can remember it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:50 pm 
Waffle, here's my quick-and-dirty breif history update:

Remeber the Word of Blake? Yeah, they went on a Jihad and attacked everybody. As such, everybody joined forces more-or-less and beat their fanatic asses back down. One particular force that made hundreds of stunning victories was led by a guy named Devlin Stone, who broke out of a WoB re-education camp and gathered a bunch of people to fight with him. After the Jihad was crushed, he went to all the leaders of the Successor States and asked, and got, all the worlds in a 100-or-so (Forget the exact number) radius of Terra. He got them voluntarily from everybody but Liao, so he went and beat the piss outta Liao until he got them. Those worlds form the Republic of the Sphere, a netural power. Things were good and happy, until someone took out the ComStar network. The whole damn thing. Now, a bunch of small warring factions are starting to tear the RotS apart from within, which is where we're stepping in.

The Powers (Besides the Republic itself):

Highlanders: Basically the remminats of the old Northwind Highlanders, they've pledged alliegnce to the Republic, and, when the blackout occured, basically filled in as their army until they mobilized. To this day, they're still propping up the Republic in 'Mechpower.

Swordsworn: A splinter group that fights in the name of House Davion. House Davion is slowly absorbing them and taking their place in the Repblic. They're fighting for themselves, not really for or against the Republic. They're more-or-less on the Republic's side, but only when it helps them.

Stormhammers: A House Steiner splinter group, they want the old Isle of Skye back. But, they're currently having serious problems with...

Clan Jade Falcon: Yup, still here. The Greek Turkies just won't go away. They're back for blood, that of the Stormhammers, Republic and...

Steel Wolves: Clan Wolf splinter group. They're nuts. And they want Terra.

Spirit Cats: Nova Cat splinter group, they're still the hippy Clan, following their leader, Kev Rosse's visions for...something. They're not really for against everybody, they're just following basically drug trips.

Dragon's Fury: Same deal as the Swordsworn and Stormhammers. Kurtia splinter group, they're fighting for Kurtia.

House Liao: The Republic took their worlds, and now they're pissed. Out for blood.

Bannson's Raiders: The only real new faction, Jacob Bannson is the richest man in the entire Inner Sphere, and he's basically bought an army and is trying to carve out his own little chunk of the Republic.

Clan Sea Fox: They're the Diamond Sharks, back to the old name. Not really a power, they just sorta wander around selling Clan gear.

If you dig around on the WizKids Website, you'll probably find a more in-depth thinger.

I'm not a huge fan of the changes MWDA made either, gregnier, but I have a few reasons:
1) I'm more familiar with the universe, as it's simpler, and I actually play MWDA. Plus, it's like a mini-Inner Sphere in-and-of itself. It's smaller-scale. And, I can throw in characters from the game as NPCs.

2) They have changed the game alot recently with the new Age Of Destruction base set. Upgradeable 'Mechs, firing in-and-out of base contact and such. Plus, they really toned down the gropos. Unless the dice gods hate you, it'll take a lot of infantry to take down a 'Mech now. Well, except ones like Fenrirs and Elementals, but they've always done that. No more hicks-with-rifles immobilising your Atlas.

3) They are going to make TROs, kinda-sorta. Dunno WHEN, but they are. Hopefully.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG