Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:46 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10502
"You are contesting it," says Piper. "With your traps."

Roger's careful patrol of the inner wall turns up nothing suspicious. The mercenaries are exploring the outer city with great care; but some of the more daring ones are coming back with valuables, which is enough to encourage the less daring ones to do their own looting.

It's clear that it'll be some time before they're ready to mount any sort of attack.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:12 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8255
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I don't think I'm contesting them being there so much as I am enacting consequences for actions taken," Felix shrugs. "The ground still belongs to them, as they occupy it and we don't have the forces to kick them out. The solution for that is going to be a work in progress for the time being."

For the moment, Felix is going to take stock of his assets to see what he can still do. If he can rig together some kind of mass mortar launch from his remaining materials. If he can get a flying drone together to help pinpoint enemy forces and leaders. He'll see if Roger is willing to help build things.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:14 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10502
Piper shakes her head. "The ground doesn't belong to them yet," she insists, running to keep up. "And it won't, not until they're sure it's stopped attacking them. That's very important."

Felix could probably accomplish either the mass mortar launch, or the flying drone. He does not, however, have the materials to do both.

Either option would use Felix' Universal Gadget; and he only gets one of those.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:22 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 2805
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger is willing to help Felix with whatever he asks.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:25 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8255
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
We're running low on supplies. Felix would like Roger to coordinate with Dolmant's staff and Talen to find chemicals in the apothecaries and stores of the nearby Inner City to try and put together makeshift weapons. Stuff to make the air difficult to breath, spew forth noxious fumes, overall anything that could hinder or halt an advancing army. On his end Felix will do the same trying to find metals and tools he can kludge together into workable machinery that could be used to hold off the enemies.

He also fires a quick message off to Arkady to see about progress on his end.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:14 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10502
Felix finds all sorts of metals and tools; he can throw them together to make a number of interesting devices. The limiting factor, more than anything else, is time. Felix can probably only make one interesting device.

Roger and Talen find all sorts of things as well. (Dolmant's staff are eager to be helpful, but completely clueless about weaponry and/or chemistry - the best option they come up with is to boil up some oil and drop it on the attackers, and the difficulty there is getting a big enough fire going). Noxious fumes are all good and well, but the trouble is that they'll hinder everyone... which means they have to be deployed in the right place.

--------------

Time passes. There are no attacks on the inner walls; the mercenaries are looting the outer city, and the Seeker's mind-controlled troops are marching along the various roads, poking at everything. The reason why becomes clear when one of them triggers one of Felix' traps; it takes him out. But only him; a negligible loss to the invading army.

And when the Seeker's troops have cleared out an area... then the kinetic barrier moves in, covering that area as well.

At current rates of coverage, the kinetic barrier will be all the way in to the inner walls by somewhere around midnight.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:25 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8255
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix keeps an eye on the soldier's progress. Are they staying inside the kinetic wall or are they advancing beyond it?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:06 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10502
The Seeker's footsoldiers and some of the mercenaries are heading out ahead of the kinetic barrier; it looks like they have to, to clear the traps out of a region so the barrier can advance. However, close inspection will show that the leadership - Martel, his lieutenants (those that survived the first trap), and the Seeker - are all staying behind the barrier.

Interestingly, it seems that the barrier can't even advance into areas without traps until they've been thoroughly searched.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8255
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix will consult with Piper and Sir Sparhawk about the advance of the enemy forces through the city and whether or not they could be slowed down if Felix harassed them from the wall using silenced armaments. Try to slow their advance but don't push them so far that they'll charge the walls and attempt to scale them in retaliation.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:05 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10502
"It'll probably drive the looters back behind that barrier," muses Sparhawk. "Where Martel will be able to regain control of them."

"Might be better not to just shoot people at random," muses Talen. "Some of the people doing the looting are from the Thieves' Guild."

He stops a moment as everyone stares at him.

"What? They're thieves. You really think they're going to pass up an opportunity like this?"

"Are they officially members of the Elene church?" asks Piper.

"I guess so," shrugs Talen.

"It probably helps, then," says Piper. "Especially if they're resisting the mercenaries in any way."

"Probably not," shrugs Talen. "They're thieves, not soldiers."

"So why isn't this wall moving in any closer?" asks Sparhawk.

"The invaders haven't fully conquered the outer city yet," says Piper. "Right here, at the centre of his power, the Elene god can keep Azash out, but he's only doing it in his territory. Because he's AN UPTIGHT RULE-WORSHIPPING DONKEY, that's why."

"Piper!" says Sparhawk, shocked. "Stop that! It's disrespectful."

"Nothing near as disrespectful as having Raven as Arch-Prelate would be," mutters Piper.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8255
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Why doesn't he step in to stop an enemy adversary from coming in and obtaining a key leadership position in his own church? Is that part of the rules?"

Felix ponders.

"Is there anything I can do to try and convince further action on his part? Could we push the barrier back by retaking territory behind it? I'd rather not just sit here and wait for a vote if we could manage to commit to some kind of viable action."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:14 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10502
Kajin wrote:
"Why doesn't he step in to stop an enemy adversary from coming in and obtaining a key leadership position in his own church? Is that part of the rules?"


"Anyone can come in," says Piper. "The Seeker could walk right in through the front gate if it wanted, it just wouldn't be able to use Azash's magic if it did that, so it would be vulnerable. Besides, Raven is technically a member of the Elene church."

Kajin wrote:
"Is there anything I can do to try and convince further action on his part? Could we push the barrier back by retaking territory behind it? I'd rather not just sit here and wait for a vote if we could manage to commit to some kind of viable action."


"You're allied with the Church Knights right now," says Piper, "and the Church Knights are an arm of the Elene church. Any territory that you take back, as long as that alliance holds, will count as Church territory again and will push the barrier back. But on the other side of that barrier, Azash can throw anything at you."

"Allied," muses Talen. "Does that mean that you can still do magic in the city, because you're on the side of helping to defend it?"

"Yes," nods Piper. "The Seeker is being annoying in a way that makes it hard for me to concentrate; but I can still use what magic I have inside the city. Though it's nowhere near as powerful as what Azash is projecting through the Seeker."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:37 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 2805
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
For the time being, Roger will assume that by 'gas' Felix meant the stuff we deployed before against the seeker and not something like say, mustard gas. Oh and explosives.

He goes to work. If he can he will delegate some of the more menial work to anyone who he can recruit, if there are any.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:16 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8255
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix gives it a good bit of thought, obvious consternation on his face.

"I... I'm low on tricks. I want to save what I've got for a last second emergency. Save running in and fighting them directly, I think I'd make more progress if I went to the Basilica for the time being to try and see if I could be helpful there."

Felix hands a communicator to Sir Sparhawk and Piper and shows them how to make use of it. Tells them to send him a message in case the situation dramatically changes for the worse. Then he heads back to Dolmant's place to get himself in order. See if there's anything he should grab.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:42 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10502
Roger starts working on insecticide smoke and explosives. He should be done as soon as the next timeskip is over.

Felix leaves a communicator with Sir Sparhawk and Piper (specifically, in Sir Sparhawk's hand) and hurries off back to Dolmant's place. (Talen leads him on a route that avoids the patrols of Raven's soldiers).

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: