Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:05 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14412
Location: Yes.
Arkady tells Roger "It has to smoulder to release the smoke; just setting a barrel on fire and hurling it wouldn't work well. It's also poisonous to people; we don't want to be breathing too much of it either." He thinks a second. "See if you can find some saltpeter; there may be some on the walls of a pigpen or cow barn. If Piper can make more of it, mix it with those herbs and they'll smoulder properly sitting loose on the ground. Then we can throw it in sacks to scatter it around."

He turns back to Ortzel. "So you would allow the knights to continue to study and practice the arts taught by their Styric teachers, so long as it is not called 'magic'?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:42 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 2777
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger nods and heads off to look for the necessary materials.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10304
"I shall not be a party to the claimed use of magic in any form, and shall not permit such to those I am in a position to order. Though the Knights may use trickery and deception where strictly necessary, the claims of 'magic' will quickly stop."

"Patriarch," says Sir Ulath, "I don't believe you are fully aware of what your ban will do. Magic is not just coloured lights and fancy tricks. The entire security of the Zemoch border relies on the Styric arts, and that border will fall if the Church Knight are not able to use magic."

Sir Ulath: Rapport: +1 Roll: +0 Total: +1
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: -1 Total: +4


"That which does not exist," says Ortzel, firmly, "cannot be the basis of a defense."

"You do realise, I presume," pipes up Piper, "that without the permission of the Arch-Prelate, the Younger Styric gods will withdraw their blessings from the Church Knights. The Knights will be unable to do magic, even if they wanted to."

Piper: Rapport: Total: +3
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: +2 Total: +7


"Blasphemy! These so-called 'younger gods' do not exist!" objects Ortzel.

"It can't be blasphemy," says Piper sweetly, "because I'm not a member of the Elene church. The religion I'm most directly involved in is the worship of one of those younger gods."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:55 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14412
Location: Yes.
Arkady looks at Ortzel. "So there is nothing with power but your god. Then there are no demons. The knight I saw killed in front of me, his lungs burned out from the inside by a demon of flame, cooked himself with the force of his delusion. The pier we all watched being smashed to kindling by dozens of bolts of lightning was suckered into flying apart in smoking pieces by another demon we all we were all fooled into seeing, you would say? And Primate Raven, at who's behest those demons were almost certainly summoned...he is equally credulous?"
Tagging Church of Many Doors, Exorcist, The Many Faces of God

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8094
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"She's got you there," Felix says. "The Elene church isn't the only one so it can't be blasphemy if she doesn't follow you. Like it or not other people worship other gods. If you want to be an effective leader you have to accept some things just aren't in your control. That you don't know everything. That you're not perfect. That, perhaps, you don't know what's best and should listen to others."

Felix ponders for a moment.

"Piper, if the Terrans formed their own church and church knight organization, would we be able to receive blessings from the Styric gods?"


Last edited by Kajin on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:03 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14412
Location: Yes.
Arkady looks at Felix for a second, then says "Felix, perhaps you've forgotten just how many one, true religions are represented among the colonists."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:44 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8094
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix laughs.

"They'll get over it. All we have to do is establish a church that recognizes all religions. Recognize all our gods as the Terran Pantheon. We came together in harmony for the purpose of establishing a home amongst the stars. We can come together in harmony for the purposes of sticking it to the man and forming our own church. We have the freedom of religion necessary to do so."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:23 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14412
Location: Yes.
Arkady sighs. "Let's finish dealing with the Seeker before we all consider becoming Hindus, all right? And get this fellow to recognize that the being who looks like a little girl floating in front of him really exists before we have to consider starting a schism in his church."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8094
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix grins.

"I get it, one step at a time. It really is troubling what Piper said. If the Styric gods remove their blessing then the Knights really won't be able to use magic, regardless of whether they call it that or not. I was hoping I could approach this argument from an angle Ortzel could accept but I guess I really do have to take him head on."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10304
Weremensh wrote:
Arkady looks at Ortzel. "So there is nothing with power but your god. Then there are no demons. The knight I saw killed in front of me, his lungs burned out from the inside by a demon of flame, cooked himself with the force of his delusion. The pier we all watched being smashed to kindling by dozens of bolts of lightning was suckered into flying apart in smoking pieces by another demon we all we were all fooled into seeing, you would say? And Primate Raven, at who's behest those demons were almost certainly summoned...he is equally credulous?"
Tagging Church of Many Doors, Exorcist, The Many Faces of God


Arkady: Leadership: +3 Roll: +2 Tags: +6 Total: +11
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: +0 Total: +5
Ortzel, mental track: OXOOX XXO
Arkady has four remaining FATE points


"Incendiary gas, freak weather, and hallucinogenics," says Ortzel. "A perfectly simple explanation."

Ortzel: Rapport: +2 Roll: +1 Total: +3
Arkady: Resolve: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +3
Arkady, mental track: OOOOO OO

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10304
Kajin wrote:
"She's got you there," Felix says. "The Elene church isn't the only one so it can't be blasphemy if she doesn't follow you. Like it or not other people worship other gods. If you want to be an effective leader you have to accept some things just aren't in your control. That you don't know everything. That you're not perfect. That, perhaps, you don't know what's best and should listen to others."


Felix: Rapport: +4 Aide: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +8
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: +0 Total: +0
Ortzel, mental track: OXXOX XXO


"In this matter, the teachings of the Church are clear. There is only one true god. Though it is true that many people have been fooled by the lure of false gods, it is my duty as a churchman to convert them to the true god, not to pander to their deluded ways."

Kajin wrote:
Felix ponders for a moment.

"Piper, if the Terrans formed their own church and church knight organization, would we be able to receive blessings from the Styric gods?"


"Maybe eventually, but not at all quickly," says Piper. "Have you ever tried to get a thousand gods to all agree on the same thing?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:08 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8094
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I hate to break it to you, but I've seen all manner of phenomenon that can't be explained or tested since my arrival in these lands," Felix says, looking at Ortzel. "One of my first such encounters was with a Cockatrice. While hunting monsters in the forest, a Cockatrice looked me in the eye and magically froze me in place. Were it not for the actions of my comrades I would be dead. How do you explain that chilly, stony gaze it gave me?"

Felix turns to Piper.

"How long do you think it will take? Do you think we could make it go faster by sweetening the deal and opening Styric worship up to the Terran people? I'm sure we could rustle up some converts. The Terran people have freedom of religion, so it won't be much hassle to us."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:39 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4076
Location: Currently on expedition.
Nate wanders over on his way to grab some extra supplies from the truck but stops as he overhears his comrades conversation with Ortzel.

"Sorry to barge in on the conversation like this, but how likely do you think it is that lightning would strike within the next few minutes and destroy a single object, in the middle of the great hall, with the doors and windows shut? Because I have an experiment I want to see if I can replicate."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:51 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8094
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Ooh, go for it, this could be fun," Felix says.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:45 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10304
Kajin wrote:
"I hate to break it to you, but I've seen all manner of phenomenon that can't be explained or tested since my arrival in these lands," Felix says, looking at Ortzel. "One of my first such encounters was with a Cockatrice. While hunting monsters in the forest, a Cockatrice looked me in the eye and magically froze me in place. Were it not for the actions of my comrades I would be dead. How do you explain that chilly, stony gaze it gave me?"


Felix: Rapport: +4 Aide: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +8
Ortzel: Resolve: +5 Roll: -1 Total: +4
Ortzel, mental track: OXXXX XXO


"Fear," says Ortzel. "Facing a predator well-known to occasionally eat people may have frozen you in place for an instant - sheer instinct, because it you ran it would get you. Doubtless for merely a moment, which felt a lot longer than it actually was."

Ortzel: Rapport: +2 Roll: -3 Total: -1
Felix: Resolve: +3 Roll: -2 Total: +1
Felix knows what he felt. That was not just a fear response.
Felix, mental track: OOOOO OO


Kajin wrote:
Felix turns to Piper.

"How long do you think it will take? Do you think we could make it go faster by sweetening the deal and opening Styric worship up to the Terran people? I'm sure we could rustle up some converts. The Terran people have freedom of religion, so it won't be much hassle to us."


Piper frowns, tilting her head to the side. She holds out one hand and waggles it. "Hard to say. It certainly wouldn't hurt your case, though... but some of the Younger gods aren't very smart."

balthazar wrote:
"Sorry to barge in on the conversation like this, but how likely do you think it is that lightning would strike within the next few minutes and destroy a single object, in the middle of the great hall, with the doors and windows shut? Because I have an experiment I want to see if I can replicate."


Ortzel sniffs, dismissively. "Doubtless you think you have some terribly 'convincing' trick planned," he says. "But I know it is a trick from the start. I doubt it will impress me."

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: