Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:19 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4013
Location: Currently on expedition.
Nate preps a satchel charge to toss.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:02 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9945
Arkady brings out his trusty Bible again and starts praying.

Arkady: Mysteries: +4 Roll: -2 Total: 2
Hooded translucent figure: M̡̻̱̘͎̆̔̂̑̑̀y͓͕̘̻͓̠͂̒͐̒͛̍͗ś̵̨̧̧̛̛̫̥̝̫̪̥̀́̔̕ţ͖̹̫͓̯͔̲̠́̍͑͆̈͋̀̕͜͞͡ë̸̙̬̼̙̲̳̘̩̀̓̄̔̒̈̕͜r̨̤̖͇̎̃͌̌͐̃͒̚͟͞į̧̧͍̻̤͇̬̠̊́́̈́͌͡ͅĕ̮̬̬̮͖̹̯͎̮̳̀̿͌͌ṣ̵͎̩̤̫̖̐̃̽̓̇̾̈̎̉̏: +̦̱̭̳̹̈̅̓̃͝͞∞̴̨̟̰̠̜͔̋͑́̉̕͠ R̵̨̹̹̜̺̋̾̃̉̓͢ȍ̸̡̧̜̺̙̘́̊̐̃͘͜ͅl̶̤͍̗̰̓̈́̑̽͛̎̀̊̿͜͜ͅl̴̛̤͎̯̭̱̫̩̖̑̃͌̊̐́͘:̢̻̞͇̘̃͌̏͑̽̌̈̕͢ +̢̛̥̥͉̙̻͕̈́͒̔̎͜2̶̢̠͎͈̗̝͌́̋͋͘͘͟ͅ T̴̥̼͚̼̖͋͒͒̉͗͊͋̂̀o̵̡̲̦̹̳̖͈͌͛̔͊̅͗̊͢͟t̸͇̰̼̠̱͇̙̏̀̏̾͐̀̃a̡̞͖̳̪̥̪͚̖̘̿́̓͊̎̍l̵̛̛͔̹̬̠̗̄̎̍̄̽̾̅:̠͖̺̣͓̾͂̈́̓̀͘ +̸̱̗̲̜͕͍̀̀̑͒͡ͅ∞̷̛̬̟̣͇͙̼͇̓̄̃̃͌́̓̍̕


Something is not quite right about this situation. Something is - there's no words for what's going on here, but it is very much not right.

Felix: Guns: +2 Gadget: +4 Sidekick: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +11

Felix's shotgun blast fills the air between him and the statue with a hundred fast-travelling lead balls, any one of which could and would destroy an ordinary clay statue on a hit. It is, honestly, completely impossible that the translucent figure in the robe could block every single piece of shot.

Hooded translucent figure: B̵̧̢̧̛̺̖̘̘̟͎͊͆̿̉̃̐̆͛͟ḷ̴͉̤͙͍̗̮̭̌̃̌̓̈́̕͜a̡̘̘͇̜̝̅͗̒̃̈́̂̑͊t̸̨͖̰̼̖̤͖̠̺́̒̀́́͐̈́͒͘͡a̢͉͙͔̲̥̔͑͛̈̈͑͐͗͘͘ͅn̴̯͇̖̻͍̏̈́̾͑͘͜͜t̡͍̺̳̗̩̯̓̀͂̀̃̆̇͟͞ C̻̖̮̠̹͍̙̯͒̓̐̍͊͞ḩ̸͙̱̤̼͎͈̟̔̊͂̈̏̑̎̈ḛ̴͈̗̙͓̃̈̇̄̑̕ͅą̴̨̺͔̳̘̭̥̣̽̍̅͒͊͐̓́͘͢͝t̡̰̳̱̗̹͍̦͙̠̑̆͐̏̏̚͝i̸̹͖͉̠̘̲͉̫̟̊̅̃̊͋ͅn̹̻̲̼̳̖̊̒̔̑̆͊͆͒̿̕g̷̯̙̪̤̙̐̾͒̈̿̓̃̕͢:̴̛̛̲̦̜͎̻̌̈̾̇̿ +̸̣͕̦̙̣͒͆͆͋͡∞̵̡̨͉̥͚͒̓͆̿̃͋̂̾ R̡̖̖͎͎̉̏̌̆̑̌̄o̴͙̫͔̺͖͍̩̱̤̼͆͊̽͆̊̕͞l̸̹̳̺̞̪͉͂̇̋̄̂͂̾͜͠ͅl̡̞̭̜͕̦͑̐̋͊͘͟͞:̶̢̧̤̞̹̭̞̟̿́̏̈́͋̈́͞͡ +̴̛̣̬͙̘̗̝͇̟̓͛̽̕2̶̨̡͈̦̮̞́͋̄͊̓͜͟ T̢̢̠̹͓̠̓́͊̒̕o̵͍͕̱͔̬̥̫͖̒̒͊͂̊̀̊̐͝͡t̗̭̦͎̟̲͍̜͓̔̓̈́̍̑͋͜a̡̢̰̥̘͚͎̮̪͌̐͆̓̓̋ͅļ̱̳̠̮̟͒́́̀͂̉͡͡:̵̛͙͔̞̘̠̠̝̝̂̎̅̚ +̱̯̺͓̙̠̤̎̇̿̎̔̑͒̋͠͞ͅ∞͚̣͇̻͓̲͙̝̓̾̒̾̊̀͠͡͡

But the impossible happens. Every last single piece of lead shot bounces off the figure's robes without leaving so much as a scratch...

...fortunately, there is still only one translucent figure. And so there's nothing to block the shot Theresa takes, from a slightly different angle, with a pistol. Her bullet strikes the statue in the centre of its mass, and the statue cracks. And then crumbles into nothing more than dust.

There's a scream from the brazier, a long, elongated screech of fear., echoed by another screech (the same screech?) from several floors up. The black flames shoot up to the ceiling, leaving a large black stain, and then vanish; the room feels brighter, less oppressive, quieter.

Piper sobs.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:35 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 7778
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix goes to Piper and offers her a hug.

"We got it, right? We can get out of here in the morning?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9945
"We can get out now. Let's not stay in this room, too many people have died here."

Piper sniffles and clings to Felix.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 7778
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix picks Piper up and takes her out of there.

"Much better now. Let's tuck in for the night and head out in the morning, now."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:19 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9945
Piper's tears soak Felix' shoulder.

This might not be the best time for questions, but it is certainly a break in the action - if anyone has questions, this would be a chance to ask them.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:26 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 2675
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Much like Piper Roger is glad to be done with the idol. He has questions but he doesn't want to bother Piper right now.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:59 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 7778
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix doesn't have any questions. He simply rocks Piper gently in his arms until she calms down. After a few minutes he picks her up and carries her back to the rooms where everyone is staying so she can try and get some sleep.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:46 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14167
Location: Yes.
Arkady looks at Ivan. "I think we should be visiting the count's sister."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9945
"As you like, sirs." With a brief detour to show the way back to your rooms, Ivan leads those who wish to see the sister's room (a number which includes Talen and Sir Ulath, but not Piper, who has neither loosened her grip on Felix nor stopped crying).

The sister's room is in a tower, several floors directly above the cellar in which the idol had been. Her door is barred and locked, though it contains a slot through which she can be observed.

A charitable observer, in a good light, might call her "plain" if she was sitting still. As it is, though, she is writhing about on the floor, both hands held to her head, and screaming at the top of her voice.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:18 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 2675
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
"Hm. I thought with that...thing...gone she would be better."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:12 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 14167
Location: Yes.
Arkady looks at her for a minute. "It could be that she is remembering. We do not know who was in charge when she held those knives."

He's going to try to get a read on her, both emotionally and magically. What seems to be driving her now; emotions or physical pain? If the former, which? And is she free of the enchantment?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:52 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 7778
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix continues to console Piper.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:54 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 9945
"She is different," offers Ivan, looking through the slot in the door. "She once again looks like she used to, before - before these troubles began."

Arkady: Cold read: Empathy: +5 Roll: -2 Total: +3
Count's Sister: Resolve: +0 Roll: +0 Total: +0

Heart's Secret: What is most important to her?


The Count's sister lives in a near-inaccessible castle at the end of a long, narrow road. There's nothing nearby but a small village of sullen woodcutters, her brother the Count owns a large castle but doesn't seem to spend much (or anything) on fine clothes or good food, implying that he's either tight-fisted or not particularly wealthy as aristocrats go - either way, she's unlikely to attract suitors through wealth. And she certainly won't attract them through her appearance. Her greatest enemy is her own spinsterhood - she Would Sell Her Soul For Beauty. And in this world, that might very well be an option that was literally made available to her.

Then Arkady takes a deep breath, stills his mind, and tries to look for magical influences in the Countess, reaching out to her -

Arkady: Mysteries: +4 Roll: +2 Total: +6
Countess: Mysteries: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4


- and something within the Countess strikes back at Arkady, something internal that screams in the same way as the Countess' body is screaming. Acting quickly, Arkady manages to close down his mind again before the attack can reach him. In that instant, though, he noticed a few things; first, that the dark force that had previously hung over the Castle is gone completely; and second, the force that struck at him from the Countess' mind did so with familiar claws, the claws of the Phantom that had first opposed them in the room downstairs. However, it seems that the whatever-it-is can no longer leave the Countess' body, or at least not without a route out being provided for it.

--------------

"Aiva," sobs Piper, after some time. "She liked butterflies and flowers, she was taken in the woods when she wandered alone. She was five. Her brother was Boris, he was seven, he would do anything to protect her, he followed what he thought was her voice, and then his voice was stolen in turn and their parents -" She bursts into fresh tears all over again.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:58 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 7778
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Shh, it's okay... Rest now. They can't be hurt any more. They're in a better place. Ask Arkady, he'll tell you all about it. Heaven is a pretty awesome place from what I've heard."

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: