Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:08 pm 
Nate scratches his chin.

"The best I can think of that will only take a day or so is to find out how Martel is getting orders to Aramsham and substitute our own, along with instructions to disregard any new orders using the old method. Martel would have to come here to get Aramsham back on track, and that would buy us time and potentially a shot at Martel."

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:12 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shakes his head. "If any of Martel's men are with the schismatics then they probably are knowing enough to be protected from talking. Aramsham would be taking a demon seriously, assuming this one isn't killing him and us first. And assuming we could arrange for it to manifest without a battle."

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:33 pm 
Lady Sephrenia shakes her head. "Demons are not in general smart enough to refrain from attacking. They can be magically bound, though that requires - let's just say particularly loathsome acts and leave it at that."

"Personally," says Sir Sparhawk, "I like the idea of sending him a new method to get orders from. We'll tell him not to attack until he gets another message using the new method; and Martel won't be able to find out the new method, because we'll simply never send him anything. Sephrenia also needs to get a close look at that ramshorn of his - it's an outside chance, but if it really is a magical artifact, and powerful enough to save the Queen..."

He nods at the group. "If that's all, then let's go and see how close we can get to Aramsham."

"Take care," warns Sir Parasim. "He is surrounded by a rather large army of Eshandists."

--------------

The Eshandist camp is not far from the city at all, and there are, in fact, rather a lot of zealots. The mixed group of Terrans, Knights, and Sephrenia draws several unfriendly looks, but Sir Sparhawk explains to the sentries that "the wisdom and power of the great Aramsham's teachings has spread to far distant lands, and we have come to hear the words of the Prophet with our own ears" which seems to satisfy them.

Apparently Pandion Knights have no oaths to tell the truth.

You hear about the second half of Aramsham's speech. It's clear that you haven't missed anything. Aramsham looks to be in his eighties, and is not a good speaker at all - he mumbles his words, loses the thread, mutters into his thin, wispy beard, and is practically inaudible from the middle of the crowd. Every few minutes, he holds up some object, and every time he does so, the entire audience of Eshandist fanatics yells "RAMSHORN!" in chorus.

A whispered conversation between Sparhawk and Sephrenia quickly establishes that Sephrenia can't tell whether or not the ram's horn is a genuine magical artifact from this far away - she needs to observe it from close up.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix gestures at Arkady and joins in the whispered conversation.

"What say we set up a meeting for Arkady to talk shop with Aramsham? As men of god, of course. What with us Terrans not using magic either it could go over well."

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:58 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks askance. "We could try, but how does he feel about other religions besides the one he uniquely gets right?"

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:21 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"It depends on why they do as they do, I think." Felix whispers. "This whole thing got started because they don't like magic, right? If their whole belief system revolves around that, we could strike up some sort of talk based on that, I imagine."

Post Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:22 am 
"I imagine he doesn't think much of other religions," whispers Sir Sparhawk. "But I imagine that he'd love to hear about a group of people willing to consider converting to Eshandism, especially if they feed his ego a bit."

--------------

Felix: Contacting: +4 Roll: +0 Target: +2

It's not hard for Felix to arrange a meeting with Aramsham. Mentioning that there is a small Terran colony in Elene lands who have "heard of his greatness and wish to know more" is apparently all it takes.

Aramsham being an old man, he goes to his tent to rest after his speech; but he's more than willing to meet a small group of foreign dignitaries in there.

In fact, on entering the tent, you'll find that there is another 'foreign dignitary' already there; a large, broad-shouldered man in gilt-edged armour who immediately recognises some of your party.

"Sparhawk," he says, nodding at Sir Sparhawk. And then he turns his head slightly, and adds "Sephrenia. Been a while."

Sparhawk's eyes narrow. "Martel," he says. "Been a while indeed."

"Oh?" asks Aramsham, in a thin, reedy voice. "You know each other? Indeed, it must be the hand of God that bought such old friends together in my tent!"

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:30 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
While Arkady doesn't disagree with Aramsham, for the moment he's keeping his mouth shut and trying to read the folks in the tent.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix keeps in mind the mp3 player he has.

"Indeed," Felix smiles. "But where are my manners? I give greetings to his Holiness, the Prophet Aramsham. My name is Felix. These are my stalwart companions. It is a fine day under the sun, is it not?"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:45 am 
Arkady: Empathy: +5 Roll: -2 Total: +3
Aramsham: Rapport: +2 Roll: -3 Total: -1

Arkady: Empathy: +5 Roll: -1 Total: +4 Aspect: +2 Total: +6
Martel: Rapport: +2 Roll: +2 Total: +4

Arkady has seen old men before. It's not unknown for them to get a little... vague. Senile.

Aramsham is more than a little vague. His senility is genuine; he is somewhat childish and easily led.

Martel is harder to read; but Arkady does not miss the way he looks at the newcomers. The Terrans merit little more than a glance, while Sparhawk gets an appraising glare... it seems that Martel sees Sir Sparhawk as a Worthy Opponent.

"Indeed it is!" says Aramsham, sitting down. "May the God of my fathers, and their fathers before them, look well upon this meeting! May He strike down the corrupt and thieving Elene church!" He chuckles. "Please, be seated! Any follower of the true god is always welcome in my tent!"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:46 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady glances up and says "Our host is senile, and the mercenary seems mostly concerned with beating his old rival. Lord, help us. Amen." He sits and says "Thank you, Holy One."

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix sits as well.

"Thank you for the hospitality. You're a busy man, but I'm glad for the chance to meet you."

Beyond basic chitchat, Felix remains quiet and keeps an eye on the situation.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:16 pm 
Nate keeps quiet and keeps watch. He's been in enough meetings with high level leaders of one sort or another to know that he doesn't belong in one.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:13 pm 
"An enemy of the corrupt Elene church is always a friend to the followers of the true god!" chuckles Aramsham.

"Pardon me," says Martel to Arkady, "I am but a... humble traveller, but I must say, I have never heard such a language as you spoke there. Might I enquire from whence it hails?"

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:38 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady replies "A land back home named England. My comrades and I are colonists, and we've been traveling for a while."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG