Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Tiranade crosses his arms and smiles, "Well. Someone with sense. I half expected you all to try and kill me despite the odds. Yes, in fact, there is a message to send - one I intend to send when I've converted Athena here to my cause." He looks around the planet, "I am not sure if you're trying to be cute or insulting, or just actually curious... but the bleakness? The darkness? It all serves a purpose. Darkness soothes the Unknown things in the Universe. As for the council... well girl they've done things that would turn your hair a more fantastic color than it already is. Pink. Really? I like your style."

*Snort.*" Serpico can't help but laugh at that.

"Actually, I quite like the darkness." volunteers Alexis. "I've always felt safer in the dark. But this..." He pokes with the tip of his tail at Athena's Blight. "Why would you think that this is a good idea? You're - destroying people."

"Quiet, you," Lumina shoots a glare at Serpico. Turning back to Tiranade, "I've heard that excessive snark helps to keep the fear at bay. For a moment, I was debating making a Lion King joke," Lumina says, looking at her hand trembling. "Doesn't seem to be working..."

"Okay, let's start with the obvious question. The Unknown things. Would you care to elaborate?"

Tiranade's eyebrows raise and his arms uncross. "Really? No heroic speeches? No sneak attacks? No 'distract the baddie with useless questions and stab him in the spine'? I must say I am impressed." He looks down at Athena, "You really can pick them, can't you Athena Sensei?"

Athena manages a wan smile, "What can I say? I have an eye for talent."

He looks back at Those Who Remember, "Honestly. Right now, even if I told you about The Unknown, you wouldn't believe me. It's not the right time... dangerous information just blathered out can cause more damage than punching an Elder in the face." He grins, "But I will tell you this much... The Elders helped create the Unknown Things; even if they refuse to believe it." He turns his gaze to Alexis, "As for you Batty? Who said I'm destroying things? Athena is only half-blighted right now, her resistance is amazing - but faltering due to one simple fact she cannot ignore."

"...Tirande please..."

"The Blight will cure her Soul Scars."

Serpico snorts. "Heroic speeches are for those who buy into that nonsense. But that doesn't make your nonsense any better."

"Oooh Mr. Snarky."

Alexis shrugs. "It might heal the body," he says, "but does that really matter if it destroys the person inside? I've seen your Blight in action before. This is... more complex than that version was. More elaborate. But even that primitive version killed the mind, replacing it with another one. Is this one any different?"

Lumina pitches in, "Don't get me wrong. I like a good spine stabbage every now and then. But If I tried it with you I think I'd be the one with the broken spine." She sighs. "What do you want with Athena? And... Are you dead set on murdering everyone at Arbiter HQ, or will the bomb defuse itself once your business here is finished?"

"Killed the mind?" Tiranade laughs, "You make some interesting leaps of logic. If I'm not mistaken, when your crew healed my little experiment everyone on the planet got thier minds back. The mind wasn't destroyed kid, it was supressed." His gaze goes back to Lumina, "Athena is a key in this war. Her eye for talent, as stated, and her leadership will be needed in the coming battles. Plus, she is my teacher and an old friend. I want to cure her of the accident my Brother and I caused her." The question about the bomb is far more direct than Tiranade expected and his eyes show it. "What's your name girl?"

"My name? It's Lumina."

"You're an interesting Arbiter Lumina." He grins, "If you knew my motives, my stance on Souls, you'd know exactly what that bomb is." He extends a hand to Athena, "Enough prattling however, I have a war to win. You may still leave, take this information back with you. Tell your Elders - leave Athena to me. This is the last time I will offer."

Lumina thinks a moment, "Before we go... Fight me. One on One. I'd never forgive myself if I just left Athena behind without trying."

"Oh?" Tiranade grins, "Is that a challenge?"

"It's a personal trial. I want to know what sort of power you have, and how much farther I need to go before I can stand against it."

"Then how about I sweeten the pot?"

"Oh?" Lumina asks, a mirror of Tiranade.

"You don't fight me - I'm far to much for you all, it wouldn't be fair. Instead, you fight Athena."

Athena looks up, "...no... please... don't make me kill them..."

"Tut tut." He waggles a finger, "You aren't thinking my dear Athena. If you kill all four of them at once, thier recall runes will go active and they go home. And I'll tell you what... you are half in and half out my dear. Kill them and send them off... and I will let the rest of this planet go as well. I will only take you."

Athena's jaw drops.

"Where as... if the four of you can kill Athena, I will remove the blight from her and return her to you. Either case, I will leave your memories intact... but. If you win, you only get Athena... the rest of the Gods on this world stay with me."

He restates the challange. "Athena wins, her world goes free and you all go home unharmed. You all win, Athena goes free but I keep this world... and I'll even shut down my little distraction at HQ for you all."

"Do you accept?"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:07 pm 
"It's a Blight bomb, isn't it?" asks Alexis. "It doesn't unravel people. It Blights them. It won't work."

He lets his Shift drop to the ground, where it grows up into the shape of a tree - large, leafy, and with branches at just the right height to comfortably hang upside-down from, with his head at about the same height as Tiranade's head. He sighs.

"So, if we lose, the planet is saved but you take Athena. If we win, we take Athena and you take the planet. This is one of those one-versus-dozens thing, isn't it?" Alexis pulls off an upside-down shrug. "Fine, then. I'll accept. It's better than any other option I can see. And... it's obvious which choice to take."

Alexis turns his head, to look at Athena. "We'll track you down again." he promises. "We'll find you. It... might take some time. Wherever you go, remember... we'll come for you again."

Then he turns to look at Tiranade again.

He does not evade. He does not block. All his defenses are lowered.

He simply waits for Athena to attack.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:34 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Serpico grabs Alexis from behind, and spins him to face him. His face is completely blank, no smile at all. The Communication rune activates once more.

The voice is cold, "Don't think that its your job to decide what is right and wrong. Do you really think this one will do what he promises? But we have to try, and we CANNOT be killed in front of him. You know why we're here, what our goal is. We have to do the best we can, or you betray what the rest of us are here for."

Serpico turns to face Tiranade. "I'm willing to bet I know more of the game than you think. But let's play."

Focusing to recharge his Ether, Serpico takes one of the poorly made knives he had managed so far, and focused the color rune on it, adding the Green Healing color to it, hoping to force a stronger reaction.

Action 1: Recharge EP
Action 2; Attempt to create Polychrome Reaction on Knife.

He then readies himself for action.

Action 3: Defense.

(ooc: Note, he NEVER took off those bracers.)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:44 pm 
Alexis considers Serpico's words for a long moment. Serpico's grip on his head prevnts him from nodding, so instead he says - aloud, without bothering to use the Rune - "You're right. We can't trust him. If we could... it would be perfectly simple to save almost everyone on this planet. But we can't. So it's not."

His Dark Tree collapses, as he pulls his Cloak of Shadows about himself, wrapping it as tightly as it will go. Then he reaches to his Dark Rune; he tries to reach for the safety of the Dark, pulling it carefully round himself and his allies, an aura of Safety that wraps about them, protecting everyone from attacks.

Cloak of Shadows - Body wrap - Tightest (+3 damage reduction, -2 attack rolls)
Dark Rune: Aura of Safety x2

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:55 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
OOC: Shows what I get for going to brunch with my family =P

"I do not fear death," the Awakener says. "I do not fear pain. I do not fear power." It draws its Shift, and stares into Tiranade's eyes, looking through them into his damaged soul. "I do not fear you." It then turns to Athena, and says "Do not fear harming us - should you win, you have saved your world. This is itself a worthy goal."

The Awakener then sends a silent order to Lumina through the communication rune, asking for her assistance. Whether she complies or not, it focuses the power of the Final Rune into its Spiral Nemesis, filing it with an ashen, wavering light - the power of Ruin. Stronger than the magic of Corrosion, but much along the same lines, each strike from the Spiral Nemesis will now bring Athena's runic power to Ruin, rendering her less and less able to use magic with every strike. The magic flashes again, now causing the air around the Spiral Nemesis to waver and ripple - any strike by the grinding gears will now Ruin Athena's speed, rendering her less able to dodge and destroying her ability to strike their weak points.

1: <Assist> Link with Lumina
2-3: <Final Rune - Support> Anti-Athena Blade (Ruin Runic Ability and Ruin Speed)

Post Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:49 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Athena, we are your students and we knew what we were doing when we came here," Lumina smiles at her teacher. "If you work hard enough, it's possible to get the Golden Ending. All you have to do is believe that it's there." Her smile vanishing, Lumina readies herself. For something. For anything. "Athena, please tell me. What is it that you wish to do? I'm not willing to leave until I've found that Third Option that will get us all out of here. If you wish to fight to send us home, then so be it."

To Tiranade, Lumina says "When this is over, if I'm still here, I would like to have a little chat with you." Moving in to stand beside Awakener, Lumina pulls Naomi away from Alexis and has her enchant Awakener's Spiral Nemesis. Summoning a Corona of Lightning, she makes it so that any near miss will cause Spiral Nemesis to inflict damage anyway.

[Support Link - Awakener]
[Enchant Spiral Nemesis - Reversal of Effort] Any attempt to remove status effects or debuffs inflicted by Spiral Nemesis are rendered counter productive.
[Lightning Enchant - Corona]

Taking our her seed pouch, Lumina implants one of her flowers into her weave to aid in the generation of ether.

[Ether Flower]

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:11 pm 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
"A blight bomb? HAH! Batty if it were, the entire school would already be infected - they are all connected to the tendrils are they not?" He crosses his arms again and watches Athena and her students closely. He grins at Serpico, "Boy you know nothing of the game."

Athena visibly flinches at Alexis' words. "If... you could trust him...." She looks deeply into the eyes of the bat, "What would you do? If you had reason to trust Tiranade without any possibility of deceit, how would you solve this?"

"Athena..." Tiranade's voice takes on a warning edge.

"It is a simple question Tiranade. I want him to answer before I choose."

"You swore to me..."

"I know. I've said nothing. I've asked a question. Aren't you curious too?" Athena's got a bit of her old confidence back... the blight on her face has receded just a small amount. "Or have you shut your eyes to knowing all the options? Even the hidden ones?"

The scarred god raises an eyebrow, "...continue."

"I want everyone saved." She looks at Lumina, looks at the entire group preparing to attack her and smiles, "I want us all to go home. You, me, Tiranade, the Gods and Goddesses of my world - everybody. So please, tell me what it is you would do if you could trust Tiranade Alexis. Please." Her smile is tinged with hope, "You may be on to that Third Option."

Tiranade stands and waits, his eyes intense but his face otherwise passive.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:51 pm 
"I would die." said Alexis. "If we win this fight... then, as per the stated terms of the deal, teacher, your world is lost. Dozens of people, maybe more, taken by the Blight. If you win, then as per the stated terms of the deal, only you are lost. One person. And... I don't want to lose you, but... one person is outnumbered by a world full of people, it's easy to see which option is the lesser light. And then we would have to track you down, and rescue you seperately."

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:16 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Listen, Tiranade," Lumina steps forward. "I'm at least willing to accept that you're doing what you believe will help. I'm willing to accept that you believe these Unknown things are a threat and you're the only one standing up against them." Lumina sighs. "But I'm not sure if you're just another crazed, dangerously insane lunatic or if you're a guy who is in over his head and you're just doing what you think will help."

Lumina walks closer to Tiranade. "Give us a show of Good Faith that you're just a guy doing what you can to fight against this Unknown Threat. Let Athena and the residents of this world go. If this threat you're hoping to face really exists... If this adversary you need to fight is really so dangerous that you'd forcibly recruit an army to do battle..." Lumina shakes her head, holding her hands over her heart. "Wouldn't it be better to just ask for the help? If you can't face it alone, then shouldn't it be far better to have willing friends by your side as opposed to enthralled minions?"

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:54 pm 
As quickly as Athena got her energy back, it fades. "Die? What good would that do..."

Tiranade grins, "Everyone wants to play the martyr..." His arms drop as Lumina approaches, but he makes no move to attack. "I AM the only one fighting against them. Me and my army; of which I desperately want Athena to be a part of. So much so that I lured her here with a Black Crystal so I could turn her to my cause."

Athena pleads over her shoulder, "Then why all my people too? Why me?"

"Because you are better than that corrupted counsel. You are more clever, more powerful, than they could ever dream. Why do you think they kept you down after you were scarred? They were looking for the excuse because they FEAR you."

"I would never hurt them! I can't! They're too strong..." But even as she says it Athena's face betrays thoughts otherwise.

A smirk plays across Tiranade's face, "The others? Yes, they are enthralled by the blight. But not Athena. Her choice is her own - the markings you see on her are the blights true purpose... a power." He then sighs and looks at Lumina, just staring at her for a long time in silence.

"...you know." He tilts his head, "You remind me of Eevee." He almost reaches out to pat her head, but thinks better of it. "Good faith... there's a term I haven't heard of in a while. What do you say Athena sensei? Are these students of yours worth trusting?"

"Always."

"Then here's the deal." He places his hand on Athena's shoulder, "I need Athena. I cannot tell you why as she herself isn't fully aware of it. She won't be until I take this world and undo a very long standing Memory Seal. I normally like a good show... but you want some good faith? Fine. I won't make you fight your teacher. In fact, I'll let her make the decision with you." He walks away from the group, Athena is dumbfounded. "Talk to them Athena. Tell them everything you can remember... I even release you from your vow with them. The last time I trusted..." He runs a finger along his scar, "...well. Lets see if faith can still be rewarded."

He turns to the others. "I will let every God on this world go. Blight Free. I'll even disable my little distraction in the HQ if you all agree. I will take nothing from you... except for Athena and this world. The rest of you go home. Athena and this world comes with me." He smiles, "Or. You take your teachers place. The four of you come with me instead... I let Athena and the Gods go home. Both cases, I still take this planet. Discuss it - alone. Call me when you are finished." He snaps his fingers and is gone in a flash of black light.

Athena sits back down on the ground, in shock. "...how... how the hell did you convince him... Tiranade what have you been through..."

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:03 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Serpico lets out a sigh and flops to the ground. "Batty, you just don't listen, do you? I'm with teach. What good would it do?"

He goes on. "Well, I'm officially lost. I thought I had a grasp of what game he's been playing, even a little, and then someone flips the chessboard over. Hmmmm...."

"But who knows? Something surprised him. Something...that both you and him seem to be looking for." Serpico looks evenly at Athena, transfixing her with a sharp stare as he fiddles with the sharp tip of his Shift. "You know I value keeping things close to the chest, but I think some details are in order. What does he want?"

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:25 am 
"We are... missing something." says Alexis, dropping to the ground. He keeps his ears peeled, listening for any sound that may indicate the sudden return of Tiranade, or the sudden arrival of anyone else. "We don't know enough." he continues. "This whole business of memory seals... that's what's hiding Tiranade, isn't it? People who haven't met him can probably still hear about him, they just forget about it an instant later..."

He turns to face Athena. "Athena... I think... I don't know if that Blight that you've got can cure Soul Scars, but if it can, then I think I know how to find out how to cure Soul Scars without the Blight. The more basic form of the Blight, that Harmony was infected with... I'm pretty sure that one can't cure Soul Scars. So curing Soul Scars isn't a property of the basic Blight; and if it was somehow added to this version of the Blight, then the effect can be recreated without the Blight. Your Shift will record everything about it, so if you get back, you could work it out from that... and Harmony and Ash are very good at spell analysis. I'm sure you could work it out, if you got back."

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:02 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Lumina continues staring off in the direction that Tiranade disappeared for several moments before walking back to the group.

"Agreed," Lumina says, nodding at Serpico. "We need all the information you can give us, Athena. When I first woke up into my godhood, I trusted myself to your tutelage," Lumina smiles wearily. "But we've passed the point where you can afford to try to keep us safe. We need to know what you can tell us about this situation, and the sooner we're made to understand the better."

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:47 pm 
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
The Awakener stands still, its expression as empty as ever, nothing in particular in its gaze. After several long seconds, its voice echoes once more. "The best course of action is to accept his offer. It is evident that this limited surrender is far more beneficial than allowing him to take the world, all Gods on it, Athena, and us, as well as leaving the blight in headquarters. The only question is who the sacrifice should be. I recommend permitting Athena's return, and allowing him to take us.

First, it is likely that this compromise is a genuine one, which weakens his position. Although it is possible that this is a trap, and that his true intent was to claim us; this is unlikely, as his actions do not support such a finding. It would be far simpler to have seized us during a mission, or even to have approached us or have had an agent approach us from a position of neutrality or alliance. Meanwhile, an attack of this form would be necessary to gain accesss to Athena. Thus, his clear preference is Athena; that he has offered this lesser trade is an opportunity. Conversely, it strengthens the position of the Arbiters - four new Arbiters are far less valuable than an experiences teacher and former elder. Lastly, this gives us a unique opportunity to investigate the nature of our foe, without the risk of emotional compromise."

The hollow mask turns to face the others, and finishes its thought. "Unless another option presents itself, our surrender is the best option."

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:01 pm 
Athena takes a look around at the black sky, as if noticing the planet's condition for the first time. "I'm not entirely sure what he's after; just that it concerns something called the Unknown. My memory is still half-sealed from a time when he tried to convince the Elder Counsel about them... and they refused to believe him." She nods at Alexis, "It's that, or that he's gained enough power to displace any memories about him as they occur. It's the power of his Shift - it can sever memory WITHOUT trace; it does not leave scarring."

She smiles, "But here's the catch Alexis... if Tiranade says his blight can cure Soul Scars... then it can." She moves to a nearby hill and take a seat, exhausted. "I swore an oath to Tiranade... when I was teaching him and his Shift's abilities began to manifest... that oath was to never reveal the weakness in his Shift; the stronger the Shift, the worse the weakness. He just gave me permission to tell you all... I don't know what he sees in you, but there may be a chance to end things peacefully here and I want to take it."

"Basically..." She takes a long look at her students, "Tiranade cannot lie." She gives that information time to sink in, "His Shift is one of the most powerful tools and weapons that has ever existed... he can shave off memory, erase his own existence so well from seven Elder Gods that they are forced to think I'd made up brain-addled stories, and even keep recordings of himself from ever being able to be observed."

"And that's just it... why he's willing to trade I think." She stands and begins pacing, looking like her former teacher self - the blight on her skin begins to recede, "You all resisted his Memory modifications... he told me so. You can hear his voice, show his image... it's just that others cannot hear or see it. He wants to know why... so when he is offering the trade..." She looks at Awakener, "It may be YOU all who are more valuable to him, not I."

She waves her hand, as if swatting an irksome fly, "But I got off point... if Tiranade lies, all of his memory alterations from his Shift come undone. To be able to manipulate memories on this level takes an incredibly strong, incredibly pure soul... a tether, an anchor. Tiranade's soul is tied to every memory he's ever taken or changed... if he lies, it all comes undone. That's his weakness... no matter what - you can trust everything he says because he has no choice but to tell the truth."

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG