Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 165 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:10 am 
As Lumina leaves, Chandi feels a shudder spread up from her spine, a slithering sensation that makes her shriek a little, and a tiny blue head pops out from her collar, slit tongue flicking the air. The tip of Chandi's sword comes within a hair's breadth of Aja's nose before Chandi catches herself. She growls, tosses her sword into the floor, and then grabs the small dragon by the neck and pulls it out, cheeks flush, and teeth clenched. "I TOLD YOU NOT TO DO THAT." She says, a little more forceful than necessary. In response, Aja merely opens her mouth, and lets out a squeaky noise, and flicks her tongue again. Chandi growls, and sets the lizard on a nearby desk, taking a moment to seat herself on top of another. "My apologies. Ajagara seems to like confined spaces more than I do." Chandi picks up a nearby chair and looks over to Athena. "Take a seat. We may be here a while." Chandi tosses the chair to her teacher, then leans back.

In one smooth motion, Athena catches the chair, places it on the floor and sits down, "I must say... she's amazing. It normally takes a decade or two to create creatures, let alone something smarter. And, Ajagara was it? I sense a lot of intelligence in her." As if in response the tiny dragon squeals and curls up into a spring shape like a snake. "What can I do for you Chandi?" She heals up her own wounds while she listens.

"Ajagara Vritra. It's a name from one the stories my uncle tells. And I can't take the credit for her creation. She'd be nothing without Lumina and the Awakener." Chandi runs a finger along Aja's head, petting the dragon. She grows silent for a moment then sighs. "You mentioned, just after the mission with Kanon, that there was a trial, and that I must have forgotten. I want you to tell me everything that happened. Who knows, and how much?"

Athena sighs, "Well. The condition we found you was... less than ideal. At first glance it seemed like you had torn apart your own mother's soul in a fit of rage, possibly caused by your own scarring. There was an inquiry, and in your still settling state you were questioned repeatedly. Your scars were still fresh... I am not surprised you do not remember."

"It wouldn't be the first time." Chandi says quietly, a dark look crossing her face. "Whatever it was that made me lose my arm, and caused the worst of all this scarred just about everyone. Our collective memory is shoddier than the Awakener's social skills. My mother and I came to blows a lot in the years following. That last fight was the worst, but it wasn't the first time we'd scarred one another." Chandi taps her forehead, just beside her third eye. "She did this during the first fight. I tore off her ear. Then Elixia separated us by force."

A dark shadow crosses Athena's face, and for the first time in memory Athena looks old for a moment, "I know all too well how... difficult emotional control can be when scars are new." She gives herself a moment and opens her book, flipping pages, "I had told you that we had no new leads to solving who did this to you... but I have to ask you something that may be difficult. During the trial, a name appeared... a name that became the main suspect and cleared you of the guilt of memory manipulation and soul scarring. Do you recall that name, or is it lost as well?"

Chandi shakes her head. "I don't recall a single thing relating to that trial. No names, no faces. I don't even remember the verdict. For all I know, I'm just living out a very free time on demon row."

Athena smiles, "No. You were cleared of being a Demon, as was your mother. Our prime suspect is a man named Aegaeon. Have you ever heard of him before?"

Chandi frowns. "No. But it's the name of my home world. That may have been why I recognized it." A dull ache begins to form in the back of Chandi's skull. "He can't be the one who made the planet though. Jil is the oldest god on the planet, ascended from one of the first mortals, and all he's ever said is that the god who made the world left, and died."

Athena nods, "That fits our information as well." She flips through a few pages, as she does, Aja inches a little closer to Chandi, eyeing the bracelet around her wrist. "We have very little... information that is." She looks up at Chandi, "What we do know is his insignia, and that his power somehow involves possession. Possession so strong that it is able to rend apart the things he "owns", even if it is a persons soul. He is a powerful God, not registered with the Arbiters. His whereabouts are unknown. Tell me, on your world... or even your body or soul, have you ever seen anything in the shape of a hand print? An open palm?"

"I don't think...hold on. Yes. I had always thought it was just some horrible coincidence, but..." Chandi freezes, words caught in her throat. Slowly, she stands up, and turns her back to Athena. "Despor pointed it out to me." She grabs hold of her shirt, and lifts, stretching as far as her limb can despite the awkward positioning. On Chandi's back, lashed together from a multitude of scars, is the symbol Athena described.

"My suspicions about his involvement in your scarring grow. I would soon make a trip, if allowed, to your home world to ascertain some information. If you could possibly put in a good word for me? I may be able to get more information on him. Right now, you know what we know." She adjusts her glasses, "I would pay attention to that symbol..." She gives it a close glance, "It may react when he is near."

"I will see if I can pass word along, but I honestly don't know how our Council will react." Chandi says settling back into her seat, with an unsure expression. "Jil and Elixia are fine enough, but Despor is an aggressive psychopath, Bliss is an idiot, Maro is stubborn, Tatua is more hot-headed than me, and my Mother is liable to take any stance that opposes mine. And it's not like I left on the best of terms. The gods who weren't born or ascended on Aegaeon come from worlds that rejected them. I've never really found out how many actually like Arbiters."

Athena smiles and pushes her glasses up the bridge of her nose, "Diplomatic relations happen to be specialty of mine! In the meantime... ...hmmm." Athena watches as Aja inches closer... closer... wiggles her long behind and pounces, sinking her jaws around Chandi's bracelet. "Heh. Dragons do love shiny items so...oh!" She gasps with a polite hand to her mouth as both Chandi's bracelet and Aja glow bright blue and flash. The Bracelet grows, seems to wrap around Aja who lets out a delightful squeal before they both melt into one and other and land on the table in the form of a great golden pot. The contents of which appear to be water at first glance... till the shape of Aja's head forms of it and pokes out of the bucket, completely translucent. Aja lets out a watery squee, quite proud of herself, before diving back in and stirring the water that is now her body. "...well. It seems Aja does not want to be left behind in battle."

Chandi sighs, and places her hand against the side of her forehead, a small smile hidden behind her arm. "Two new Shifts in one day, and it's not even time for lunch. At this rate, I'll know what all everyone can do before dinner." Chandi picks up the pot, being careful not to spill the contents, and brings it close to her face. "Is this because I fed you tea? Is that where this came from?" The water bubbles for a moment, then a splash sprays out from the center, soaking Chandi's face. "You're a mischievous little thing, aren't you?" Chandi says with a sly smirk. "All right, but next time I'm in on the joke." Chandi's eyes raise just the slightest bit, and then with a flash of a grin and motion, she slings the pot forward, while still holding her grip, letting a torrent of water shoot out, straight towards Athena.

Athena laughs as she is drenched, she stands and moves towards the pot and her clothing dries with the hidden application of a fire rune. "Chandi, look at the sides." She turns the pot to show Chandi that one side of it is indeed engraved with the face of a lion... the other side, a dragon. "This Dragon is a part of your soul now, and this, a part of your shift. I think she will be able to turn into whatever element you wish. Practice with her for the next few days... your Shift has just become much more versatile. I would think, however, like Naomi she may be able to be targeted. She is half-god, half-elemental. If she dies, she will come back - but the advanced forms of your new upgraded Shift will be shut down in the meantime. Be wary."

Chandi nods. "Thanks for the advice. I'll keep Aja safe. And for the information. I'll pass along word of your arrival, but please, let me know if you find anything else out."

Athena returns Chandi's nod, with a serious expression matching Chandi's own. "I promise I shall."

"I guess next on the busy schedule of yours is tea time with Asch. I won't keep her waiting." Chandi takes hold of the changed Aja, and stands up, walking towards the door. Before she leaves, she turns around. "Another word of warning for when you meet my family. Jil and Elixia are most likely to listen to you. But if you insult them in any way, Elixia will tear your body to shreds smaller than your scars, and Jil will make you feel it for millenia. We don't technically have a leader, but they are the undisputed powers that be." Chandi smiles and raises her pot, as if toasting. "May you live in interesting times." She says, before opening the door and leaving.

Athena smiles widely, "I shall be careful. Take care Chandi."

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:54 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
In the center of her stars... Harmony dreams...

/flicker/

"We have a mission for you." The small, portly man hands her a file.

Harmony raises an eyebrow, then flips through the pages one by one. She stops when she sees the picture of a man. A man with violet eyes.

"Another one?"

"This one is different. A... scientist, of sorts. He is the leader of an organization that is doing illegal experimentation, and there are signs that he's working with the enemy."

At the words 'illegal experimentation', Harmony's eyes narrow.

"And you want me to kill him. I told you, I don't want to do any more of these types of missions."

"I think you will make an exception for this one. Read further in detail."

Harmony continues reading through the file, her eyes hardening further and further.

"Well. Will you do it? We thought your... unique... capabilities would be well suited for the task. And I know how you feel about gene---"

"Shut up, little man."

The other waves his hand dismissively. "Why don't we be honest with ourselves. We both know you're going to take this mission. The only question is, who else going with you?"

Her heads snaps up. "I work alone."

"Not for this one, I'm afraid. Especially not with your... recent... issues."

"Issues? You tried to have me kill a kid, and say 'I' have issues?"

"'You know what we suspected had happened to the kid. Had we been correct..."

"And you were wrong. As I have pointed out. Repeatedly. The kid's no threat to anyone."

"But he could have been. And... we are at war, Harmony. We cannot afford to be wrong. You know where that kid was going. What, if we were right, he could have done once he arrived. Worse case... it could have crippled our war effort."

Harmony remains silent, her mouth folded into a tight line.

"No... we're sending someone with you this time. Just in case. It would be better to have a partner, right? Someone capable of watching your back?"

"More like someone capable of stabbing me in the back. I don't trust any of the others farther than I can throw them."

"Yes, so you've said on multiple occasions. And... ah yes, here he is now."

"Oh no. Not you. I've TOLD you I don't want to work with him!" She turns back to the portly man. "He's too unpredictable. Too unbalanced. Too..."

A soft growl comes from the one who entered the room.

"Hush, pup." Harmony. "He's not ready for this. He's not in control. Can't even control his Shifting."

"And yet... he gets jobs done."

"By leaving his enemies in small, tiny pieces. I thought this was supposed to be a clandestine operation."

"And it is. He has agreed to curb his proclivities and follow your lead. You are, after all siblings... of a sort."

"Hardly. I know neither of us see one another that way. Just because we come from the same test tube... and only one of us was 'successful'. Let me put it this way."

She turns to face the new arrival. "I say Harmony, you say..."

"B****." The other seems amused.

"See? Not going to work."

"This is not a request. It's an order. He IS going with you. And you WILL take responsibility for leading him. And the others."

"Others!?"

"Take a closer look at your mission parameters."

Harmony flips to the final page... and her eyes widen.

"This... this isn't an assassination. This is a full out Hunt? And you're putting me in charge of it?"

The portly man gives a slow nod.

"I think you are ready for it. He -" he nods over at the other "will act as your second, your enforcer, if the others get... unruly."

Harmony frowns down at the mission file as she skims back over it.

"Anything else I should know?"

"Be careful. We've went after this guy before. He's... well. Brilliant. A real, genuine madman... but a mad genius, at that."

"What happened to the people we sent before?"

"We don't know. They never returned."

There's a short pause as she turns to look at him "Yes. Do. Not. Underestimate. Him. Or his organization. If you do..."

The man turns around in his chair, looking out the window of the skyscraper. "Who knows what will happen to you?"

There's a long silence.

"Sir?"

"Dismissed. Gather your men and hunt that crazy bastard down."

---------

Chandi walks down the corridor, Shift and dragon tucked in the crook of her arm. She slows her pace, eyes focused on the ground as she contemplates her discussion with Athena. She shakes her head, and turns her eyes upwards, focusing instead on the last mission, and realizing that there is someone she still needs to visit. She changes paths slightly, and ambles down a different hallway, walking until she finally stops in front of Harmony's room. She leans up against the wall next to the door, takes a deep breath, then speaks. "Hey, Harmony! You awake? Got a second to talk?"

There is no answer.

After a few moments, Chandi gently sets down the pot on the ground, and steps in front of the door. Aja brings her head out of the pot, flicking her watery tongue in the air and watching in interest. Chandi raises a fist, and begins pounding on the door, hard enough to shake the water pot. "Harmony! You there!?"

There's a long silence, and then just barely Chandi can hear a faint hum from the other said of the door. It slowly opens... revealing MUSE, floating in the air. In the words of Lurch from the Addams Family... "YOU RAAAANG?"

On the other side of the door, Chandi sees what seems to be a perfectly normal living room.

Chandi smirks. "As a matter of fact, I did, firefly. Is your mistress home?"

From MUSE a different, more normal voice emerges as the sphere morphs itself into... well. A firefly. "She is still asleep. She needs her rest after what happened yesterday."

"How long do you think she's going to be out? I just want to chat with her for a little while."

"As long as she needs, I'd say. I--" The door into the living room opens, and for just a bare moment Chandi gets a glimpse of stars and a faint whisper of song... before Harmony moves into the room. Though she seems to have dark circles under her eyes, she appears well awake. "What is it, Chandi? MUSE. Other room. Now."

Grumbling softly under its breath, the firefly floats out of the room, flying down and squeezing underneath the door.

"Aw, what a shame. I was looking forward to a long conversation with the lightning bug while we waited on you." Chandi chuckles, but then her expression switches to a more serious one. "Did you sleep well? Feeling better after all that happened yesterday?"

Harmony huffs out a breath. "Hardly. Oh, I slept, but..." She pauses for a moment, then shakes her head. "Nothing. Dreams." For a moment - just a bare moment - Harmony's eyes seem to flash golden.

Chandi frowns. "If you're sure. If you ever feel like talking about it though...if you ever feel like talking about anything, I'll listen. Least I can do, I guess." Chandi pauses awkwardly, letting an uncomfortable silence settle. Finally, she speaks again. "So, uh, I wanted to ask you a question or two. First things first, I guess, do you think the team needs a leader? I was just thinking about it after the whole cave fiasco, and the idea just kind of wormed into my head and got stuck there, and I was curious what the others thought."

Harmony gives a wry smile. "Thanks." As Chandi continues, Harmony crosses her arms in thought. "Yes. We have a frightening tendency to discuss when we need to move - need to act. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for deciding on things as a group. But sometimes, a clear, strong lead is needed. Especially in situations like we came across on the last world."

"Right. Yes. Totally. I agree." Chandi says, cheeks flush and fingers twitching. She looks almost like she's going to be sick. "So how would you feel if I suggested you as leader to the rest of the group?"

Chandi takes a moment to breath out. "I really dislike offering others the chance to boss me around with permission, so please understand how difficult this is, and how much I think we need it to come ask you like this."

For a moment, Harmony just blinks at Chandi. "I... you think... why..."

She takes a moment to gather herself.

"Why me?"

Chandi sighs. "Let's look at the rest of the group first. Lumina and I are hot-headed and brash, and our first course of action is usually smash stuff up. Serpico would rather play games with our heads, Awakener isn't one for social interaction or commanding things, Asch is too focused on whatever mystery's at hand and we can't ever be certain that it's going to be Asch with us on a mission, and Alexis is...well, Alexis. Of us, you have the least issues to start out with on the leading point. On top of that, you have skills that focus on promoting teamwork, an above average level of intelligence, a crazy amount of power, and MUSE at your beck and call, which I think counts as at least one more Arbiter on our side. And you were the one who actually came up with, and followed a strategy after we got out of that cave."

Harmony grimaces. "Yeah, and we know how well that worked out."

"Yes. We know how it worked out. You got possessed by an enormous crystal hive mind, and successfully fought it off. Twice. Then froze it in place, and almost led us to victory against that thing, until Arbiter Egomania stepped in and ruined everything."

Harmony remains silent for a moment. "I had help the second time. And..." She seems to sink into herself for a moment, before turning to look the way that MUSE went. "There are... fragments... memories... of what I once was. Before... well. Before. I don't think that's the first time something like that has happened to me. That's why I was able to fight against it so hard."

"Oh. I see." Chandi grows silent. "Hard as this sounds, it's another plus. You've got experience. You've got time. I think you're the oldest of us, if not in years, at least in maturity."

Harmony gives a short laugh at that. "I don't even know how old I am. Not exactly. I remember fine back to when I was... reborn, so to speak, which was 23 years ago. But I suspect I - and MUSE - have been around for far, far longer. Though how much of that 'experience' you speak of is me, and how much of that is MUSE is up for debate. He... it, rather - it is an it, decidedly. It has been everywhere, seen everything. It had to, in order to do... what it did. Speaking of which..."

She pauses for a moment, before looking at Chandi closely.

"I apologize if I offend, as I realize it may be a... touchy subject for you. It's about your Soul Scarring. Have you ever thought of... well, searching for a way to heal it?"

Chandi looks down for a moment, subconsciously raising her hand to her empty shoulder. "Honestly...no. I haven't. I've been concerned with...other things. More than fixing it, I just want to know who or what did it." Chandi lets out a short uncomfortable laugh, before looking back at Harmony. "On my world, I stand out a lot less. There's not a single god without scars. Most of us are missing a limb or two. Compared to some I got off lucky. We have some gods who can barely hold a solid form." She pauses for a moment. "But in a way, it unites us more than the shared planet." Chandi grows silent for a few moments, then shakes her head, and drops her arm. "You're dodging the subject. And I went along with it, but I'm serious. If the others agreed, would you lead us?"

Harmony winces when Chandi mentions the gods who can barely hold a solid form, and looks once again in the direction that MUSE went... before sighing.

"One of these days, I will have to visit your planet with you. There may be something I can do to... help... them. And you're right. I am dodging the subject." She closes her eyes and thinks. "I cannot promise that I will be a good leader. I might get you all killed. IF the others agree to it, I will consder taking the position... but only if they agree. Which I'm not all that certain they will..."

"I don't know how receptive they'll be to help. I know it's hard to believe, but I'm one of the more level headed gods of the bunch. We're...eccentric. That's a nice euphemism." Chandi chuckles. "Well, I suppose that's all I can ask for. We'll see how things progress then." Chandi bends down and picks up the pot that Aja has been sloshing about in, once again tucking it in the crook of her arm. "I've taken up enough of your time. Thank you for being open minded about all this. And again, if you ever want to talk, and not just about serious stuff, but anything at all, just find me." She takes a moment to gaze past Harmony's head, towards the spot in the room where MUSE left. "And the same goes for your little ball of light. If nothing else, he seems funny. I've seen the way it taunts Alexis. He's certainly got a sense of humor. I'd like to swap prank ideas with him sometime." Chandi takes a step back from the door and smiles, just the slightest bit. "Oh, and if you look for me in my room, just, wait in the temple front. Do not enter any archways."

"Fair enough. I'll do that. See you later, Chandi. Oh! Before I forget - I'm going to be going to visit Magus during our downtime over the next few days. Are you interested in going, or are you going to be busy?"

"I'll be blunt. Meeting with Magus holds absolutely zero interest for me. And I promised to meet up with Lumina later to try something out with her opened Shift. Assuming I can get it to work, it might make it even better for her. We'll just need someone who'll be more than interested in stabbing us." Chandi smirks. "I'll bet Serpico will be all over that." She says with a chuckle. "But I may go and visit the mortals. See if they can teach me anything about that fancy tech of theirs, and check up on them. I've been thinking of making something to give my runes a bigger shock factor."

Harmony opens her mouth, then pauses. "Considering you're working with Lumina, I have no idea if you are being metaphorical or literal on that last part..."

She stops to stretch her back for a moment. "That lack of a bed... ah. Anyways." She opens the door leading out into the hallway.

"In that case, I shall see you some time later."

"See you later." Chandi says, nodding her head to substitute as a wave.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:16 am 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Athena makes her way into the student's dormatory main hallway and proceeds down to find her next appointment; Asch for morning tea. She's a little early, according to the clock on the wall. It's pretty quiet in the hallway this early and she passes by Serpico's room first; a brief pause to stare at the doorway to worry about his condition.

A voice hums from inside, quiet, muttering, but somehow, melodic. "One, two, three four five, once I caught a fish alive..."

Pursing her lips, Athena decides that she's quite early enough to give Serpico a check before tea. She knocks on the door, in time with the song Serpico is singing.

"Six, seven, eight nine ten, then i had to let it go-" The voice cuts off. The door cracks open, slightly. Serpico looks a bit discheveled, hair a bit fuzzy, wincing as he moves. He glances at Athena through the small crack. "Oh, hey teach."

"Good morning Serpico. I was wondering if you had a moment." She glances at the wince, "If you would prefer sitting, may I come in?"

"......Ok. Don't mind." The door opens on a still dark room. There are some concerning looking scoring on the wall, as if scratched at repeatedly.

Serpico snaps a finger, and a light turns on. The room is as stark as ever. On the easel is a half finished work, an image of a spiral turning inwards, with small, indistinct figures in it. A wider circle surrounds it, of blue and green, but starting to buckle inwards as well.

Bending slowly and carefully, Serpico touches the floor, he makes a few motions that leave a mark in blue, from which a pair of chairs rise out of the floor. He eases into one of them. His expression is calm, cheerful. "So, what can I do for ya?"

Athena's eyes dot about the room, taking in the decor - it seems to vary some each time she has reason to enter. A tiny frown appears at the painting, but she says nothing. "First off, how are you feeling? Is your ether recovering?" She runs her hands, glowing green, above Serpico's body - scanning the injury.

He chuckles, coughing slightly. "I'd say you should see the other guy, but best as I can tell, that one's just fine."

Athena raises an eyebrow, the humour lost on her. "You seem to be recovering at a good pace considering how deeply you pushed... I must admit, Serpico, without your aid they may not have made it out of the collapse." She lowers her hands and takes a seat, "Thank you."

Serpico's face stills, as if carefully thinking. "I don't hate any of them. No real reason to not try to help when things are that severe. Accelerating power, it's a bit limited so far, so I had to work a bit more for it to reach."

"I see." An unreadable look crosses Athena's face, "Well that leads me to my next question... why have you not been up front with them about Shin? Lumina herself seems to be teetering on the noting that you actually admire him. Considering it was their first encounter with him, you will understand why that would not be a good opinion to have of you."

Serpico leans back. "Why haven't I? Well, it's simple enough, and I think we saw it here. None of them can bluff for anything. In a way, it's charming, but except for the metal head, who hardly talks, and Detective, who seems to be outsourcing different mental tasks, theyre extremely open and straightforward. They drove Shin away from the group, out of sight, just because they couldn't stop scolding him. Ridiculous."

Athena grins, eyes flashing, "And do you think they'll stop at just a scolding the next time he crosses them now?"

"Of course not. But even with his epic self interest, Shin will be on guard on seeing them. He'll remember enough to consider them a threat." Serpico smirks. "I don't know how well it worked, but he might not pay as much attention to me even now. He expects fan worship."

"Shin does live in his own little world doesn't he?" She scoots closer, "I'll be blunt. You need to talk to them about your history with Shin. A few of them are starting to care for you... and despite your excuses, you seem to care for them. You would not put your body on the line that much with Shin still about just for an experiment in pushing your runes."

She takes his hands and continues, "You walk a difficult path, Serpico... I know you don't wish to care, so you don't risk to lose... but they are your team now. They need to know they can depend on you." She looks directly into his eyes, "I will not reveal your secrets. I will just implore you to tell them about Shin... let them be more prepared next time you cross paths. Because I believe you when you say Shin will take notice of you all now. You were almost the sole tarnish on his otherwise..." she nearly spits the next word, "spotless... record."

Serpico shudders. "I still think there's something there, in that record. He's too direct, most of the time, to so perfectly avoid notice for his sloppy work. You know, I still don't know what he did with the two fighting gods? The records say nothing. Believe me, I looked. It isn't even listed if he killed them or let them escape, because he certainly didn't bring them in. This can't just be his work, because there's only one thing he's good at. I can't help but think someone must be helping him cover it up."

"That is actually the one thing I cannot figure out about Shin." She leans back and opens her book, "I took a lot of information from him when I silenced him, and I have been watching him. His CO does cover up nastier incidents with him, but once again while he routs ethics he has yet to break a law or disobey a direct order." She flips through some pages, "As for the two Gods of your home world... They've disappeared. Shin and his CO both honestly know nothing about them, and really don't care. They are listed as rogues in our books - but we've seen hide nor hair of them since. For two targeted Gods to disappear completely off the radar... I will admit this is very strange."

"Amazing, isn't it? And the team? They don't get that, none of them. They don't understand how long he's been doing things like this. How good he is at avoiding all forms of consequences. So they sit and talk about trying to beat him up." Serpico turns away. "Like he's just one of the Bat's big homeworld monsters he rambles about."

She places a warm hand on his shoulder, "Which is why I think you should speak to them on the matter; inform them. Shin is NOT the kind of person you want watching you as a team. They've only a taste of his tricks and lies - they've yet to be truly threatened by him. If he ever decides to fight you all, they need to be ready for the kinds of dirty play he'll use. Targeting pets, loved ones, blackmail... they don't wish to admit it, but Shin is very clever, very self-absorbed, and so lost within his own delusions I think he could convince himself that space is filled with air and he'd believe it with all of his being."

Serpico shrugs off the hand. "I don't know. They aren't bad, after all. Pretty easy to stay on top of. To be frank," and he starts looking much more serious. "I'd have rather they never met the fool. Now look at them. Heads filled with stupid, petty ideas, when there's much more to be done. He damages everything he touches, it feels like. But getting back to your question about how I do things? It gives one more way to be hidden, in the thoughts of others. And what's so bad about being hated, anyways? i'm used to it. "

Athena stands and makes for the exit, "The very fact you are used to it." She opens the door, "And the very fact that just a simple hug from Alexis is enough to bring back memories of a time you still cared. Think about it while you recover Serpico... because the only person you cannot fool is yourself." She leaves the room and shuts the door.

Serpico stands, and watches the door for a moment after she leaves. Then, he slowly moves back to the painting. It's taking shape, well. Athena probably didn't notice the pencil outline of the next part to paint. The pair of guns, crossed over the whole shape like an X, a cancel of the entire shape.

He considers it for a moment, and then begins working again, mind humming away and a song once again rising, unbidden. A gentle tune that provokes memories of things so far past. People, looking to him for help. A world swirling mad around him. And what simply decided to end it all for them. "Why did you let it go? Because it bit my finger so~"

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:45 pm 
Alexis hangs from his branch, swinging back and forth slightly in the grip of a nightmare.

--------------

Trees shift around him as he flies, bending and stretching in ways that trees should not, grabbing for Alexis' frail body. The bright sun is directly ahead of him, shining into his sensitive eyes; even when he closes them, he can see the glow. And there's the pursuit. There's always the pursuit.

I'm coming for you, Alexis. I'm coming for you.

The pursuer's tattered cloak whips among the trees. Every time Alexis pings his sonar, the trees have shifted, moved closer. His wings ache, there's nothing he can do...

I'm getting closer, Alexis. I'm getting closer.

He dare not be captured. The Man in the Tattered Cloak would destroy Alexis, if he reached Alexis. And he is getting closer. Alexis can hear his voice getting nearer.

And then - hope! The classroom! Athena! The team of arbiters! Alexis has allies!

"Help!" he says, diving among the team. "He's after me!"

"...who?" asks Athena, looking directly at the Tattered Cloak Man. "I don't see anyone."

"THERE'S NO-ONE THERE." agrees Harmony. But Harmony's eyes sparkle with M.U.S.E.'s light, and Harmony speaks with M.U.S.E.'s voice. "YOU MUST BE SEEING THINGS."

"I see-" begins Chandi, then she stops. There's suddenly a green bandage over her mouth, preventing her from talking. The Man in the Tattered Cloak lowers his gun, and then raises a hand to his head and lowers his hood. His face... is Shin's face. Shin is the Man in the Tattered Cloak.

"He's not that bad, when you get to know him." claims Serpico.

"No!" objects Alexis. "You know what he's like. You know what he'll do."

"Oh, he'll only kill you a little bit." says Serpico, with an extra-wide grin. "You make it worse the more you run, you know."

"Lumina?" Alexis looks for help from elsewhere. "Lumina, what do you -"

Lumina is dead. A Black Lance extends from her chest. As Alexis watches, Lumina stands up, and pulls the lance out of her own chest. "There's no-one there." she says, her eyes showing the reversed colour of a Blight victim.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Athena asks Alexis. "You're seeing things. Singing songs that aren't there."

"No, I'm not!" Alexis protests. "He's, he's really there! Ask Chandi!"

"Ask me what?" Chandi removes another Black Lance from her own chest, and walks towards Alexis. "There's no-one there."

"You see?" asks Athena. "It's just you."

Chandi raises her Black Lance, and drives it straight into Alexis' heart.
The moment before impact, Alexis wakes up.

"AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!"

...deep breath. Echolocatory ping. Floating branches. Bedroom. Good. Nightmare. It was all just a nightmare. All...

...just a nightmare.

Phew.

Alexis drops from his branch, and spreads his wings.

That was one scary nightmare.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:48 pm 
(RP with Serpico)

Alexis shuffles along the corridor. The flight helped, but the edges of his nightmare still worry at him.

He gets to Serpico's door, and raises his tail. He rolls up the end of his tail, and knocks with it. "Serpico?" he asks.

Serpico looks up from his art. The outlines of the guns are only just coming into focus. "I guess I've been expecting this." he mutters as he shuffles to the door and opens it. "Hey there." He says through the partially opened door.

"Hey. Um... how are you this morning? You were pretty bad last night." asks Alexis

"Feels a bit like I tried to go through a door the hard way. Repeatedly. But otherwise, can't complain." Serpico steps back. "What's up, Batty?"

"Um. I think... this might be one of those culture things that everyone else understands and I don't. A sort of - bouncing. When you bounce up and down on the soles of your feet. What does that mean?"

"Either that you're happy and excited or you need to visit the little god's room. What of it?"

"It's not a warning, of any sort, then?" asks Alexis

"No." Serpico steps back, to let Alexis come into his room, if he wishes. "No, most people don't play games with their body language, you know. The aren't clever enough, or committed to the fun enough."

"It's just that, well..." Alexis accepts the implied invitation by stepping into the room. "When Athena first said we'd be working with Shin..."

"Oh." Serpico's voice drops in temperature, suddenly. He recreates the chairs he had made vanish after Athena left, and sits carefully in one. "Don't dance around the subject. What are you here to ask about?"

Alexis moves to the other chair, and stands on it. He's not really adapted for sitting, not in the way that humans sit. He takes a deep breath. "If you know we're going into danger, next time, could you give us some warning?" he asks. "Beforehand? So that we have some idea what we're dealing with, before the trouble starts?"

"Trouble?" asks Serpico. "Don't you always expect trouble? It's our job, after all. Arbiters are trouble shooters. we find and shoot trouble. Athena said all that was really important about working with Shin, I'd say. Besides...how much do any of you really value what I would tell?"

"But we need to know what sort of trouble." Alexis says. "The more we know, the better we can deal with it. As to value... I would have accepted Shin on your word, up until he shot that little girl. Up until then, I did accept him at your word."

"How strange. I could tell in the others. The second I spoke of him positively, they became tense. Yet you believed me at my word?"

Alexis tilts his head to the side slightly. "Yes?" he says. "You seemed happy to see him. Like an old friend. I didn't expect him to be nice, necessarily... but I expected him not to be evil."

"Oh, you're mistaken. He's not evil." Serpico's voice takes a dark and taunting tone. "He's one of the best Arbiters in the organization. Spotless record, not a single fault, failure or reprimand! So who are we to call him evil?"

"He shot a little girl in the head. He destroyed a place. He's pretty clearly a being of Light. I don't care about his record, I've seen his actions."

Serpico laughs. "You know, I'll never get tired of those odds turns you have of speaking. But ok. Consider this. So what? For all of everyone's posturing about how evil he is. Did any of that stop him from doing what he wanted?"

"No." admits Alexis. "We weren't prepared. If we had known...we could have released that little girl before dispelling his tree. Perhaps we could simply have fled from the tree, avoided him entirely."

"Can't. Then we left a fellow Arbiter to die. One with a strong reputation, and us just students. Who do you think takes the blame here? Bats, you're still not thinking far enough. And I don't think you're just here to criticize me for what I first said. Is there more?"

Alexis remains silent for a while, thinking about it. Then he says "That's most of it. I mean, what's past is past. You've got history with Shin, I know that. I thought of asking about it, but - that doesn't matter right now. What does matter right now is - next time we go on a mission - and you say something before the mission - will I be able to trust that what you say is true?"

Serpico chuckles. "It's a bit ironic that what might explain best what happened, is the past that you show no interest in. I do what I do, always, for a reason. Sometimes, things happen for a laugh, but thats just the side show. But it's a boring story. Do you want to know it?"

"If it will help, yes." says Alexis

"Fine." Serpico snaps his fingers, and a small light brightens the room slightly. "This storytime will work better with some visuals, I suppose."

He bends down, and draws with his finger on the floor. The surface of the room, optimized to this behavior, immediately responds, drawing a green and blue circle. Serpico reaches down, grasps the circle, and pulls it out of the surface. The flat object is place in the air between them, and sits, floating. "This was my home world. Very typical, really. From what I've read, evolution favored reptillian style life slightly more than average, but thats about it. Normal day and night cycle, everything.

"The only problem was the government. OR governments. See," And he draws on the cricle, two of the now visible landmasses changing colors to yellow and red. "There were two empires, each holding a large portion of the land, next to each other. Each had its own god that took an active role in leading. But they didn't like each other, at all. Eventually, the gods decided to use their subjects to fight each other. A war of conquest."

Alexis remains silent. He doesn't get why people keep seeing everywhere as spheres, when the ground is always flat when they get there. But this isn't the time to ask that now. He just listens, attentively.

"So here they fought." The two colors advance on the central continent, and clash in the middle, forming a tight line. "A war lasting for years. at least 5, I believe."

"...five years?" asks Alexis.

"At least. It's hard to remember, even now. The line didn't move much. Just two armies that couldnt overcome each other, a godly squabble costing thousands of lives."

Serpico changes the image, the land zooming inwards on the battle line. "And do you think these empires understood what was in the path of their little fight?"

Alexis almost visibly rearranges his thinking. He looks utterly horrified at the thought of a five-year war. "...thousands?" he says, weakly. "Was there anyone left alive?"

"My culture clearly was bigger than yours. We're talking empires of millions. But who cares? They didn't. And they didn't care that they weren't alone on that planet!"

Serpico pokes a single spot in the map, right in the middle of the Yellow and Red border. "My village. We weren't part of either empire. Noone was. This was a series of villages and small cities living independently throughout this part of the land. We just were....in the way."

Alexis stares at the point on the map for a long moment. He imagines a war in which thousands died, and a little village caught in the way. He winces.

"Yeah." Serpico sneers once more, but his voice seems pained. "There weren't many of us alive after the first couple of months. Me, a few peers around the same age, some older adults, mostly past their prime, and kids. A worryingly larger number of children with noone to help them. But us. My friends and I took charge, best as we could. We moved underground, under the ruins of our town. Years spent, scavenging, hiding, keeping quiet....and killing, if the need be."

"But think about this. this is a fight between two Gods. A petty, obvious abuse of power, in which the targets are simple, and for an Arbiter, a workable, non destructive solution quite doable. But this planet, best as I can tell, was off the normal Arbiter patrols. So when they arrived, late, seeing the planet a a mess, well, they still could have fixed it. It all depends on the Arbiter who they sent."

Alexis' ear twitches. "Shin?" he asks.

"Yeah." says Serpico. "Shin was sent as a 'combat specialist.' He came down on that planet and thought it looked like a hopeless, but fun, cause. So he decided to go, not with a top down removal of the power hungry ones, but with a Bottom Up strategy." Serpico's hand clenches, but then he makes a mark on the map, which zooms out to the whole planet. Which starts to go dark, one piece at a time, rapidly.

"...he killed everyone?" asks Alexis, horrified.

"Completely. I don't know how strong he really is, you know. But he wiped a planet clean of the mortals living it in an astonishingly short time. You know, I've never been one for appreciating beauty, even in art. I just like to draw the images I feel. But my planet was a nice place. WAS.

"The disasters caused by this caved in my village's hiding place. The few of us still alive then, well, they died. I happened to be outside. I survived the earthquake, the firestorms. All of it. Then Shin found me. He laughed, said I must be slightly better than the rest of the planet's trash. Then when I reacted to that, he shot me before I could take even two steps towards him. On a whim, when he realized my Soul was close to ascending, he took my remnants to the Academy. And here I am, now."

"Dull, isnt it? Just a tale of one sided destruction who's architect is so careless he doesn't even recognize me upon looking at me. "

Alexis opens his mouth to reply, then stops. He looks down for a bit, thinks, and then looks up again. "I still don't understand," he says, "why you didn't say anything."

Serpico snorted. "Because I wanted to avoid what actually happened. Shin needed to be watched, needed to not be driven off into his own actions. You saw his ego. the fact that he felt insulted was enough to drive him to violence and then to leave on his own. And once we no longer knew where he was, we couldn't be ready to stop him.

Serpico gets up, and makes a motion, the crude image shattering into thin air. "And because his time is coming. Shin isn't someone to just beat into the ground, or erase. He's too good, too self interested, and too self protected to stop that way. When his time comes, it'll be from something he doesn't see coming. And the act of a fan is the one thing he'd ignore instantly, with his inflated self worth."

His smile is gone, Serpico looks up. "I wanted to move more subtly, keep things under control. The others have enough distaste for me that guilt by association made them wary of Shin, but he moved too fast and brutally, and shocked all of you. At that point, danger was already there. I tried to stop YOU, in fact ,before he decided to swat you down, but noone was listening. "

"...you're really planning on killing him." says Alexis. "Sneaking up on him and stabbing him in the back. Really. Not just pretending, because you'd like to imagine him dead."

He takes a deep breath. "I don't think that'll work. Not anymore. We've all seen Shin now. the rest are wary of him - like you said. I think you need to tell all of us. I think... if I'd really thought you were a fan of Shin's, I'd go and ask Athena to move me to a different team. The rest might feel the same, I don't know."

"Hah. No. That wouldn't work. Honestly, I don't know what will work. But the one thing I want? To be there when a chance arises. Whatever it will be, I'll know it when I see it. I research him a lot, you know. The Teacher also knows that hes a threat, so she also watches. Shin will pay for the crimes he commits. I'm just a small part of that, but I'm the small part who is here and remembers. The strong should not use the weak as their stepping stones. Ever."

"Oh, don't get me wrong, Batty. I'm really exactly the person you think I am. Hehehehehe. Games, pranks, I prefer them. Life really is as funny as I think it is. Especially when you think about what you can do about those who hurt you. Acting otherwise is....useless. But on this, at least, you had the wrong idea. Or at least, I allowed you all to get that idea."

"This was the first time it was important." says Alexis. "It will be important again, one day."

"Maybe the others will listen? I don't know." says Serpico. "But you heard them. Angry kids, who think they know what it is to hate someone. Who talk loudly about hurting the ones who hurt them, like that will change things. Will they react better knowing what the one they alraedy hate so much, what he really can do?"

"Yes." replies Alexis, firmly. "They will know not to push the confrontation too early. They will know better how wary to be. Evil thrives best - when it leaves no witnesses. When no-one knows of the danger. And where trust is absent."

Serpico stands in place, thinking. "Maybe. Maybe. I am a bit fond of all of you. I haven't had such fun targets appear the whole time I've been at this school." His smile is almost genuine as he speaks. "He already will remember all of you. Probably me, too, though I did my best to avoid that. I don't think they need to hear such a dull story, but maybe they can at least understand one thing, what I hope to accomplish."

Alexis smiles. "Thank you." he says, hopping off the chair. "I didn't - ever - want to not be able to trust you. It would have made things... difficult."

Serpico nods. "You....do seem to trust me, more than the others. I admit, that still surprises me." A hand gently pats Alexis on the head. "See you around, B-...Alexis.

"See you around." Alexis gives Serpico a brief wave with his tail as he leaves.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:50 pm 
(RP with Lumina, Athena, and anyone who was in the corridors before breakfast)

Serpico's door closes behind him as Alexis steps back out into the corridor.

On the way back to her own room, Lumina spots Alexis coming out of Serpico's room. "Alexis? Hey, what are you up to?"

"Hey. Nothing much. I just had to talk with Serpico a bit."

"Oh," Lumina's expression flickers between surprise and curiosity before fading back into her normal, more jovial expression. "That must have been an interesting conversation. You got a minute? I kinda had some things I wanted to talk with you."

"Sure." says Alexis. "What did you want to talk about?"

"Just various things," Lumina shrugs her shoulders. "Your view points on certain things have always been rather... interesting, to say the least, and I was wondering if you wanted to come back to my room and talk about some of them."

Alexis tilts his head to one side slightly. "If you like." he says.

Lumina leads Alexis back to her room, and opens the doorway into the same apartment complex as before. Naomi immediately bounds into the building from Lumina's side and dances around in the lobby for a bit before heading out into the gym to take a swim in the pool.

"Before we get started, would you like something to eat or drink? I must admit I'm not sure if I have anything you'd like..."

"I could do with a little water." says Alexis.

"Alright," Lumina busies herself with making a cup of coffee, and places down beside her cup a bottle of water before bringing the tray back to the lounge. "Now that we're here, would you mind telling me a little bit about the world you're from?"

"It's different." says Alexis. "There's a lot more open space."

"Thanks," he adds, as he picks up the waterbottle with his tail. "Trees and suchlike. I haven't seen a single tree of decent size since I got here." He stands on one foot, and unscrews the cap of the waterbottle with the other foot. "You've always got to keep an ear open back home, for the predators. That's the thing I like most about here... there are safe places, that stay safe. Back home, there's just dangerous places, and places that will become dangerous if you stay in them too long." He lifts up the waterbottle and looks at it for a moment.

"The world I was raised in doesn't have too many trees." says Lumina. "My people all lived on the ground in large cities where the buildings are all made of rock and metal and wood. Some areas are safer than others, I'd imagine, but for the most part we all live together in these communities where the structures we build are big and obdurate and shelter us from the world outside."

"I take it you didn't have giant pythons, then?" asks Alexis.

"We have large snakes, yes, but I don't think any of them gets big enough to pose a danger to someone of my size. You have different view points from what my people would have, is what I'm saying, and I guess I'm curious as to what differences there would be between our peoples to create such differences in beliefs."

Alexis manages to take a swig from the waterbottle without spilling anything.
He looks up at Lumina, and stretches out one wing. "That's one difference." he says.

"Let's try something else..." Lumina says, thinking for a moment. Gesturing towards a nearby window, she points in the direction of the sun gleaming on the horizon. "Can you explain to me what you see, and what you think of it?"

"I see a great big glowing sun." says Alexis. "It means that the predators can see me; it means they'll be awake, they'll be fast, they'll be hungry. It means I should be hiding, probably asleep near the centre of the village, unless I'm on sentry duty. The Eye of the Eater is trying to show her children where I am."

"Why, what do you think of it?"

"I see... A source of life. My people don't have good vision at night, and we bump into things and bumble around. Night for us is a time when we are vulnerable. When unseen creatures of the darkness come to devour us. We also don't possess the ability of flight, and cannot travel great distances easily, so we are isolated to certain regions, where we must remain and tend to crops and farmland. Farmland which cannot grow without the aid of the light."

"...really? That is different." says Alexis. "Plants need light to grow?"

"Some don't, but most do. Light is a source of energy that the plants, or at least plants from my world, need to grow strong and produce sugars for the rest of us to consume."

"...huh. I never knew that."

"Without the light, my people could not see to tend the lands, and the plants we grew would not be able to produce the fruits and vegetables we need to eat to survive."

"You know, that explains a lot. Lightbulbs, for a start."

"Anyway," says Alexis, changing the subject. "That tattered cloak man."

"The tattered cloak man, you mean the person that injured Harmony so?" Lumina asks, her eyes narrowing somewhat.

"Yes. He... worries me. Athena couldn't see him, not even when Harmony's shift made an image right in front of her. Couldn't hear about him. That really worries me. If he walks into this building, right now, carrying a spear and stabbing everyone... how many people would even notice?"

"Yeah, it really is something. For someone to have so much power... And to use it in such a manner... It's disturbing, to say the least. This is the heart of the Arbiter's power, though. Even a person with such power should think twice about trying such a feat."

"I hope so. I hope we're not underestimating him." Alexis takes another sip of water. "I think I might have an idea, though, how to find out."

"Really?" Lumina asks, leaning in over her cup of coffee, interested.

"I heard his voice. I can use my Sonic Rune to replicate it. I don't think Athena would be able to hear it, especially if it's saying 'This is the voice of the Tattered Cloak Man' or something along those lines. We can check that with Athena, and if she can't hear it, maybe we can see who can. Get some idea how widespread this memory thing is, at least."

"That seems like a good idea. Go around and try to poke as many holes in it as we can. Try and find a weakness in the spell..."

"Exactly, yes." Alexis looks at the waterbottle, and quickly swallows what's left. Then his Sonic Rune glows on the bottle for a moment.
"This is the voice of the Tattered Cloak Man." says the bottle, in the voice of the Tattered Cloak Man.

"Let's go find Athena. She's probably in her office." says Alexis.

The two run into Athena in the hallway, carrying a tray of tea cakes for her meeting with Asch. "Well hello you two."

"Hi." says Alexis, holding an empty waterbottle in his tail. "Can you hear this?"

He activates the rune on the waterbottle. "This is the voice of the Tattered Cloak Man."

Athena blinks, "Hear what?"

"Ugh... Well, it was worth a shot." says Lumina.

"Good." says Alexis. "We have a test."

"Is this about the Tattered Cloak Man again?" asks Athena

"It's the voice of Tattered Cloak." says Alexis. "You can't hear anything about him, so you can't hear his voice. Now we can find out if anyone else is affected."

"We're trying to figure out a way around the effect, is what we're going for." Lumina replies. "Maybe see if there are holes in the working we can try and exploit."

"I see." She steadies her tray, "Well contact me if needed for your tests. I am about to go speak with Acsh. Do you need anything else?"

"Not right now, thanks." says Alexis. "Come on, Lumina." He heads down the corridor, stopping the first person he meets with "Can you hear this?" and activating his sonic rune.

"This is the voice of the Tattered Cloak Man." says the bottle.

The first person Alexis meets is the little albino janitor lady, "Hear... what now?"

"Thank you." says Alexis, rushing off to find someone else to ask. "Hi. Can you hear this?"
"This is the voice of the Tattered Cloak Man." says the bottle.

No matter how many people he checks with, nobody can hear anything from the bottle. Staff, students, everyone and anyone. The only 7 people who can hear it are his group.

Alexis does not meet the Elders in the corridors; they're all way to busy for him to get an appointment for such a mundane thing on such short notice. He doesn't bother looking for Shin.

After bothering just about anyone who happens to be in the corridors for an hour or so, Alexis goes to get himself a very worried breakfast.

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:43 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: NekoFlashblade
There is a knock at Asch's door, "It is I, Athena. Forgive me if I am late, I was abjected by a variety of your fellow team mates."

Asch opens the door; her face gives off the impression that she only just woke up; she probably fell asleep in her clothes. "Huhhn? Oh! No, no, you're fine... yesterday was a long day and all... come in, come in."

Athena enters the room with a tray of various tea cakes, "I rather hope you are hungry. Sparring with Lumina and Chandi undid my breakfast energy so I'm starving. Did you sleep well?"

As Athena steps in, Asch walks over to one of her computers and starts typing. "I would love some food... let me bring up the *YAWWWWWWWWWWWWN* dining area..."

Athena smiles, "It always fasinates me to see student's room designs... despite how many I've taught, no two have ever been remotely simalar. You should see Alexis' if you haven't yet - all floating tree branches and an endless drop."

An ornate Gazebo rises up through the infinity, and stops right in front of the computer area. Asch steps on and beckons Athena to follow. "When I was a young girl on Isencroft... I loved to sit in my family's Gazebo and read every day."

Athena sets the tray down on the table in the center and admires the craftmenship. "My home world is called Asgard. It's a world of endless libraries, home of the most clever Gods of the age. With great books, come great reading areas! I had a balcony overlooking a garden when I was young; twas my favorite place to read."

A gentle smile crosses Asch's face. "I should love to see it someday..." She raises her hand, types in to her virtual database, and the gazebo rockets off, coming to a stop in the center of a rose garden. Roses of White, Red, Blue, Purple and Yellow make for a charming aesthetic, perfect for enjoying a morning tea.

"What an extrodinary room. I see you've taken wonderful liberties with it." A flip of her wrist and a tea-pot appears, bubbling away without burning the table. "Do you prefer loose-leaf or packeted teas?"

"You don't get the true taste with packetted tea. I have never liked it."

"Woman after my own heart." She lowers a mesh net filled with Earl Gray into her teapot and summons another for Asch, "What type of tea did you prefer again? It has slipped my mind; as it is filled with mysteries involving cloaked persons and your fellow classmates."

"Earl Grey is fine; Ashley has a saying. Black Tea is best shared with friends."

As it steeps, Athena peers across the table. "How are you Asch?"

Asch sits down on the gazebo bench, crosses her legs, clasps her hands together in front of her face, and sighs. "I could be better."

Athena places her hands across each other on the table, "Have you or Ashley spoken with Sheppard yet?"

"Kind of hard not to... but that's only a small part of everything anyway..."

"If you would like to speak about it? What you are allowed to at the very least..." A hint of impatience with Sheppard creeps into her voice.

"Yesterday... yesterday was very long and very rough. Three missions... and my effectiveness diminished with each one."

A sly smile crosses her face, "And here we sit, on the cusp of upgrading your Shift. I understand your hesitance with Goldenslaughterer... but have you re-thought what I mentioned about different ways of using your blade?"

"I have been thinking and thinking... but we can't come up with anything. I am the detective; my role is the investigation and revelation of mysteries. Ashley, the witch... her role is the creation and concealment of mysteries. Sheppard is only concerned with the truth. And yet we all agree, we can't simply upgrade our shift along the same path it has been on..."

"Far too destructive... for all of you." Athena ponders a moment, "Your Shift isn't your only weapon however, but in the lack of a mystery or the lack of an opponent willing to play - what have you left?"

Asch's teeth clench. "I don't know... but I don't want to do things on my own anymore. One day was enough... I'm not the talented youngster Doyle saw after all... I need the others... and I need them to need me..."

Reaching across the table, Athena takes Asch's hand. "I would trust Doyle's word as much as I'd trust the word of any of my students. Knowing that you need others and need to BE needed is not a weakness Asch. Depending on your peers is a wonderful thing, that's why I made your class so big. But you do have talents beyond solving mysteries or making puzzles you know."

"Like what?"

She grins, "How do you solve mysteries Asch? And Ashley, I'm sure you may be listening - how do you create your puzzles?"

"Observation and thinking, backed up by runic magic. That's how the mystery breakers taught me. As for Ashley... she was just always good at coming up with mysteries, and I was always good at solving them."

"You do both have sharp wits." She seems to be hinting at something. "Beyond that, the tools for your respective crafts are always at the ready. Why Asch, I don't think Ive ever seen a rune of yours fail." She removes the mesh and begins to pour the tea into flowerly little saucer and cup sets. "Sugar?"

"One lump, please." She then starts thinking back over all of her runes. "No, they've not worked all the time... Senkoumaru managed to evade my interrogation rune. But you have a point all the same. Nevertheless, my mystery runes are mostly only good for supporting my shift as it is, and the illusion runes have limited use in actual combat beyond misdirection..."

Athena drops a sugar cube into Asch's cup and stirs it up with a stick, doing to same for her own tea. "Well, riddle me this my dear. Your blade, when summoned, is a blade of pure Ether that is incredibly strong when a mystery is solved or a puzzle is strong correct?"

Asch picks up the tea cup gently. "Thank you." She takes a sip, enjoys the flavor and scent, and smiles. She nods. "That is correct; the hilt acts as an ether amplifier, and the force it outputs is proportional to the truth put in to it."

"So what would happen if you put other kinds of Ether into it? Let us say... A rune?" She sips her tea politley.

Asch is silent for a few moments. A large grin parts her face, and she replies, "At the moment, not much. But I imagine that can be changed."

"With a small upgrade no less!"

With that, she stands, walks in to the rose garden, and plucks a single white rose. Athena watches with great interest as Asch does so.

"My mother was a gardener... and she taught me the meanings of flowers. White roses are symbols of purity. White is a color which can take on any other color and add it to itself." She holds the rose to her hilt, and says, "Like I did with One Truth, System0 and Goldenslaughterer, I shall create a new blade, one that all can use due to its purity." Focusing on the hilt, she empowers it with a new skill...

[Upgrade Shift - Rog-Limitation, the White Blade of Runecharging]

Athena claps her hands and smiles, "Well done Asch. Give it a try - let us see what sort of limitations it may have?"

Asch nods. "Very well... first, let's try a simple one. Level 1 Mystery Rune." White ether begins to build on the hilt as she snaps her fingers to create a blue rune in her hands with no enhanced characteristics. With a flourish, she brings her hand to the hilt, and pulls it away, a shimmering white blade with blue runic etchings appearing.

[Shift - Rog-Limitation lv1 x Mystery Rune]

Athena stands and joins Asch in the garden. "Good. It seems that it doesn't take any extra effort to forge the blade, a quick rune applied and away we go. So!" She draws her own rapier, "What can it do?" A formal bow and a grin.

Asch smiles back. "Let us test it, then... I imagine it may be similar to when I tried to combine One Truth attacks with Mystery Runes in our fight yesterday." With that, she steps forward in to a thrust, a blue and white line trailing the blade in a sharp arc.

Athena moves to deflect the blade, and when she contacts it something interesting occurs - she grabs her head and stumbles backward. "...curious sensation that..." She gathers herself and strikes at Asch, who deflects her thrust with the new Rune-Blade. "It seems there is an affect even if the strike isn't on the mark, or if you deflect an attack. I've a compulsion... It's becoming stronger each time we meet. It feels like I need to know more about you - it's driving my focus on you... Ah, it's making me want to Solve a mystery about you. So not only is it a blade that will aid you in battle without mystery... but it distracts your foe as well. Shall we see what it does when it hits home?"

Asch laughs. "Unexpected... but interesting. So you want to learn more about me? Good, good. Wouldn't have it any other way..." She seems to be enjoying this more than she ever enjoyed swordplay before. With a low dash, Asch moves to get through Athena's defenses, and swings the blade in a wide arc, a gust of wind shaking the roses around them.

Athena drops her defenses on purpose and lets the blade tear into her leg - not only does it do her physical harm, but a blue version of herself 'slips' out of Athena and paces around, "Let's see, tea cakes, pastries, pots and cups... am I missing anything..."

Athena laughs, "A small window to the past... I wonder what would happen if you focused your efforts..." She waves her hand and the wound heals. "Ugh... those effects, I must ask you! Why did you use a Tier 1 version of your Rune and not Tier 2?"

Asch looks at the blade and lets the ether dissipate. "Baby steps. One cannot run before they walk. Let us now try level 2." With that, she draws an advanced mystery rune in the air, and attempts to create a blade. Unfortunately, the white ether of the blade cannot stabilize the blue rune, and it quickly dissolves.

"Ah, there is a limitation. You can only use Tier 1 Runes with this for the moment. With each power comes the cost. You will need sufficent ether to do this as well... but it doesn't seem to cost you anything for the upkeep."

Asch nods. "So it would seem... I also got the feeling that while the blades do not require upkeep, they may fade with repeated use if not recharged." She then smiles. "However, because the input required is any rune... this is a shift that becomes even better if I were to link up with with one of my teammates. I wonder if it can accept more than one rune at a time, too..." With that, she attempts to draw both a mystery and illusion rune, and puts both in to the blade in an attempt to create a sword.

The effort costs Asch a bit more than she expected, more than the combined costs of the Rune; but the blade forms. "I think you may be right about fading on repeated use... and it seems adding more power to the mix with other Runes makes the blade a bit more brittle." She peers at it with her glasses, "I think i can hold up to three runes at once... but it will probably shatter after a single use at that point." Athena summons up a Fire rune and charges the blade - it is now pulsing three colors, Mystery, Illusion, and Fire.

Asch nods. "Yes... the white ether is barely holding it all together. One hit will be powerful... but it will immediately break after that one use. However... it still is useful all the same. That means I can link with two others to create a single use but powerful blade." She then smiles. "It will never reach the level of strength Goldenslaughterer has... but with the right combination of runes, it can still be potent. And what's more... the rune I thought of yesterday, when I get the chance to make it, will be perfect for this blade."

"Excellent." Athena grins and looks into Asch's eyes, "I daresay this upgrade will improve System0 as well as Goldenslaughterer... so try a Truth rune on it before ripping apart this girls memories Ms. Sheppard."

A golden sheen washes over Asch's eyes, as if Sheppard were acknowledging the statement.

"Well!" Athena laughs, "This has been a rather productive morning! But alas, our tea is going to cool. Shall we finish it?"

Asch nods. "Yes, let's return to the tea... you still haven't told me any stories about Doyle, either..."

"I do not know if Doyle ever told you this..." As speaks as she sits and begins to nibble and drink, "Nor do I know if it is something that he would like to be told... but you deserve to know because he kept in close contact with me before he disapeared. He told me stories about you... he felt about you as a father would a daughter."

Athena gains a sly grin on her face, "You recall I recently revealed myself as an ex-Elder correct?"

Asch sips her tea and nods.

"Doyle was the Elder whose place I took when he became fed up with the council and decided to do better things with his eternal life." She pauses to let that information sink in.

Asch silently reaches for a tea cake, and munches on it. When she swallows, she says, "I... didn't know that. He never talked much about the council to me; they were still teaching me the basics of the Arbiters when..."

Athena nods gravely, "So you need to understand... to be an Elder, you must be extraordinarlly powerful. Which means Wargrave manged to destroy someone on par with myself, if not stronger. You hunt a dangerous quarry."

"I've... known that for a long time. Doyle and the Mystery Breakers were investigating him while I was there, and while they couldn't put an exact measure on his power, they knew he was at that level."

Nodding, Athena sips her tea once more. "You will be happy to know, however, of the terms Doyle left the Council. Care to hear a fun tale?"

"Certainly."

"He, and I quote, got 'Tired of this bigoted, whose-ethereal-power-is-bigger pissing contest' and left 'to put together some real minds that know they are not the top of the food chain.'"

"2000 years ago, Doyle gained enough power and respect for an invite to the 7th seat of the council. He accepted, believing he could convince the Elders stuck on older, more segregated thought patterns that to take in a new method of thinking. A thousand years later - I met him... for you see, it was Doyle who came to my home world to extend me an invitation into the Arbiters."

Asch simply smiles, urging Athena to go on.

"And so I joined, under the guidance of my teacher Magus, and quickly became quite the name to remember. In 200 years time, I acquired such a reputation and rapport with Doyle that he made use of it. He quit the council and recommended me as his replacement. I was shocked to say the least, but I accepted." She breathes a heavy sigh, "I sometimes wish I went with him... from there, over the next 300 years, he gathered up the greatest mystery solving minds he could find and founded the Mystery Breakers with Poe and Christie. I'm sure you know thier history from there."

Asch nods her head. "Indeed. They rapidly became one of the most effective and efficient demon hunter organizations among the arbiters, and in particular were strong at dealing with illusionist demons.

"Don't take this the wrong way... but I'm glad you didn't follow Doyle. While I may have met you sooner... I'm glad I was able to meet you after..."

Athena smiles sadly, "I understand... I will admit there was a time I wanted to join. But by the time I retired from being an Elder - I had found a new passion. Teaching. Thus that lead me into meeting Makosan, Tiranade and Eevee... which is a sad story in its own rights." She wipes a single tear from her eye and viscously chops down a tea cake." The only reason I was an Elder a second time was to be an interim until the new 7th seat was filled. Which happened yesterday in fact. Now I can concentrate on teaching forever... I can think of no better fate for one such as I."

Asch smiles, and finishes her tea. "You have been a wonderful teacher... and a wonderful friend." A single tear drops along the side of her face. "One of the most important memories anyone can share are the memories of friends. Even if it's sad when friends pass... our memories of them are better than having no memories of them at all..." Putting down her teacup somberly, she says, "Thank you for inviting me to share another memory with you."

"You are quite welcome my dear. If there is nothing else? I'm sure I will be waylaid by your classmates again soon." She moves to start cleaning up.

Asch nods and brings up a monitor, launching the Gazebo back to the entrance. "I need to get out of my room, anyway. It's no good to stay inside all day."

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:37 pm 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
As Chandi leaves her room, Harmony follows her out the door. There's a rather loud zap sound as MUSE appears right next to her. It looks a bit... frazzled, if a ball of light can look frazzled.

"Don't DO that. Do you have any idea how much that stings?"

"Quiet. I couldn't have adding to that conversation."

"You do realize that I can hear anything you hear, even if I'm not in the room."

"Yes, but just because you can hear doesn't mean you can speak... and I know you wouldn't like that conversation."

"Yes, because we have told you that you should avoid drawing attention to yourself. Especially from the Elder Council. Being the leader of a group of Arbiters is the precise OPPOSITE of that. And talking to Chandi about Soul Scarring - what if she had asked about how you seem to be healing yourself, hmmm?"

"Then I would have told her. Well, maybe not the whole thing... but that it was as least possible."

"Foolish. I know you want to trust your teammates, but--"

"Quiet."

MUSE floats along silently for a moment.

"Ohhhh, I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts--"

"MUSE!"

"..."

"Where are we going? Are we there yet?"

"Are you trying to be annoying today? Is that it? We are going to visit Magus, in fact."

"... And why are we going to visit Magus?"

"How was it you put it to me once? I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."

Harmony arrives at the teleporter. Assuming that Magus is in fact in the control room as she suspects, she teleports there.

Harmony is correct and arrives to see Magus under his console, re-wiring it as little tiny lightning creatures dart about the room, cleaning up the char - hard to believe this all happened just yesterday. Without looking up he speaks, "Harmony was it? What brings you back here so soon?"

"I want you to teach me about making Shells." Harmony starts helping him clean and clear everything.

Magus pauses, then scoots out and stands, dusting himself off. "Wouldn't this be better directed at your teacher? Shells are not something you can learn in the span of a day you know." He wipes his hands on a dirty towel.

"I'm well aware of that. I hardly expect to be able to learn how to make a Shell in a day, or even several days. And... Athena is rather busy, and it would be just one more thing for her to have to deal with. Besides, if I'm going to learn from someone, it is far better to learn from someone who knows Shells in and out, who's made them his main focus in research."

Magus ponders a moment, "I can tell you the basics if you like... but I wouldn't cross Athena for all the knowledge of Asgard. I must ask your purpose first."

Harmony cocks her head to the side curiously. "To learn. And..." She looks over at MUSE. "MUSE. Privacy."

"Again?"

"Again. Shoo."

"... Don't try anything, Sparky. I'm watching you."

MUSE floats out of the room.

"There..." Harmony continues to look in the direction of MUSE, before continuing in a soft voice.

"I want to learn about the creation of Sentient Shells. Ideally I would ask Elder Riordan about it, but I figured I should get a grounding in the basics before moving on to something so advanced. As to why I want to learn how to make one..."

Harmony sighs. "You know nothing of my circumstances. In order to tell you the reason why I want to do what I want to do... you need to promise me that you will keep what you see to yourself."

Magus waits a moment, ponders his options.

"You hacked systems far beyond you. You have the makings of a programmer... a genius level one. I will prove my silence to you by binding you to a secret of mine - one you must swear never to reveal. Do we have an accord?"

Harmony remains silent for a moment. "That wasn't entirely... well..." She thinks, before finally nodding. "Very well. I agree to your terms."

-------------------------------------Insert Long Super Secret RP Stuff Others Aren't Allowed To Know Here-------------------------------------

"Then we have a deal."

"Very well. Now! While I am here, can you tell me more about Shells in general? I find the concept fascinating..." The two start discussing the workings of Shells...

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:48 am 
Chandi takes a deep breath and sighs before returning to her room, squeezing past the gods and goddesses who have begun to fill the hall as the day progresses. "You take up far too much room like this." she murmurs to her pet, still stuck in jar form. "I wish it was a little more intuitive on changing you back. The last thing I need is to spill you across the floor, and have to figure out how to mop you up." The dragon shoots another jet of water at Chandi's face, which she just barely dodges. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." She says to the little dragon. Aja's next hit is successful. "Shame on me then." She says, sputtering out a bit of water. After what seems like a strangely long walk, Chandi finds herself back in front of her room.

The door opens, the bell rings, and the sounds of chanting and singing once more fill the air as Chandi steps into her temple of a room. However, there is a smaller amount of chanting than usual, which then too grows quiet. "Someone must be visiting." Chandi says with a raised eyebrow. She closes the door, and set Aja and the pot down on the floor before approaching the crystal ball laying at the back of the room. "Who is it that enters my temple?" Chandi says in her native language into the ball, raising it to her face.

Suddenly, an eye forms in the center of the crystal ball, looking directly at the Goddess of Change, before letting out a long whistle. "Well, you are a sight for a sore eye." The voice says, before a sky blue rune glows around the ball, and a shape begins to manifest from the air in the room. The smoke from the incense spirals together, meshing with the air itself to form a vaguely humanoid shape with a single eye, and a crooked smile. "If it is not the lost child who asks so much of us, and leaves us to fend for ourselves. How are you doing, Katyayini?"

Chandi sneers at the figure. "I do not like that name being said here, Qiell. While I am in this place, I go by Chandi, and you will address me as such. What are you doing?"

"Now, now, is that any way to treat a brother god? Especially one who takes time out of his precious day to ensure that the Mortals who beg and plead for your assistance get some of what they request?" The figure slinks through the air, approaching Chandi from the side, and getting close to her face as he speaks, running a finger alongside her face. "I work tirelessly, trying to match your boorish gales and storms when I could be making beautiful skies, just because I care about you and your precious image."

Chandi swats away the smoky form of her fellow god, but her fingers simply pass through. "And I thank you for it. For you to go out of your way, and do something other than admire yourself or fawn over your priests and priestesses, must be a terrible thing."

The god laughs, crooked smile splitting the face in half. "Oh, Katyayini, you have no idea how much I missed your attempts at witty repartee. Things are so terribly droll around here. The old ones are so stubborn and focused on whatever it is they get up to, and what young ones have not left for parts unknown are busy fighting each other to take your place as king of the chaotic. And do not get me started on the rest of the elementals. Your father still astounds me with his dullness and restrictions for a god of wind, and air."

Chandi's teeth grind together for a few moments, then she lets out a sigh. "You never change Qiell. Speaking of which, care to tell me why you have visited my temple, and put all my Mortals into silence?"

The Sky Elemental frowns, and crosses its arms, before letting loose a whine. "I will never understand why it is that you demand such bizarre trinkets as offerings. Honestly, I never know what to expect when I take care of your business. The last time I was here, I found two sacred animals roasting on a spit. And today, I find petty coins. Why can you not keep it simple, like me? All I ask of Mortals is to keep my mirrors polished, and replace the ones that break or tarnish. And on occasion to bring a plant a grown tree at the front of my temple."

"You are getting distracted, Qiell. Talk. Why are you in my temple, disturbing my people?"

"Someone is touchy today." Qiell says with a literal huff that disperses the smoky form for a moment. "I am just gathering offerings and preparing to answer the prayers I can before informing The Lady about the rest."

A fierce expression crosses Chandi's face, and a group of wind runes appear behind her, creating a gale that knocks Qiell's ethereal form back towards the crystal ball. "Then gather and leave. And inform The Lord that I wish to speak with him. Soon."

The Sky Elemental brings his temporary form back together, brushing off some imagined dust from his lower body. "Fine, fine. I shall inform him that Your Grouchiness requests his wisdom. It is not like there is any more fun to be had here. At least, not with this fake body." The rune surrounding the crystal ball shatters, and the smoke dissipates in a burst. "You have to let me know when you plan on returning. It is far more fun to tease you in person, Katyayini."

"Go blot yourself out, Qiell." Chandi says with an annoyed grunt.

"Oh believe me, I would rather not, but someone wants a storm today, and I must oblige. Ta ta, darling."

The ball becomes silent, but after a few moments, the chanting begins anew. It's still small in comparison to the chorus of voices yesterday, but it is present. And Chandi can make out two voices in particular that greatly intrigue her. Chandi takes a seat on the floor, ball held in lap, next to Ajagara, who makes a small noise at the return of normality for Chandi. "So, you must be Inderpal." Chandi says, with a warm smile.

"..." Chandi hears nothing but silence for a few moments, then a small thump, and a voice whispers, "Say hello to the Holy One when she addresses you!" A few more moments of silence, then a small voice says, "Hello."

Chandi resists the urge to giggle at the child's shyness, before continuing. "So your mother tells me you are interested in becoming a Sage, now. Is that true?"

The small voice takes another few minutes to respond. "Uh, yes. No. Maybe. I am not really sure yet."

Chandi can't hold back the giggle this time, and after catching her breath continues. "That is more than all right little one. You have a long life ahead of you, and you are more than free to change your mind when it comes to your path in life. In fact, I encourage it." She pauses for a moment, then leans close to the crystal ball, and whispers. "Did you know that, when your mother was only a few years older than you, she told me that one of her greatest desires was to gain the powers of all the Holy Ones, just so she could try and beat me up for teasing her? Quite a far cry from the peaceful Sage she is now, eh?"

There's a small lull in the conversation. "You only call her peaceful because you have no idea what she is like at home. More than once for teasing, she has left me unable to sit for a few hours. I have no doubt she could do the same to you."

Chandi and Maitreyi burst into laughter at the boy's words, tears coming to Chandi's eyes just from the idea. When she finally regains her breath, she manages to continue, though still laughing every couple of seconds. "I would not doubt it either. So, is there anything you would like to ask me, Inderpal?"

Feeling a little more bold now, Inderpal takes no moment to hesitate. "I am curious, Holy One. We hear stories of your powers and exploits, how you grant the prayers of the people, but I want to ask...do you have any stories that are not in the books? Not told by the Sages?"

Chandi pauses for a moment. "Well, I suppose I have enough time to tell you one or two stories. But you must promise me something. Has your mother told you where I am?"

There is a moment's silence, then the boy whispers. "Yes. She has told me you have left our land to search the stars on a quest from the Lord of Time."

Chandi frowns, ever so slightly, then shakes her head. "That is correct. All I ask is that, if you choose to share these stories, do not reveal that I have left on my quest. Make them sound as though they took place in the distant past. You can say it is a bit of the wisdom of the Sages, passed down to you." She chuckles for a moment, then begins. "My first story takes place on a world with no name, created by a god of unity in order to train gods like me..."

And so Chandi told stories to the young boy and his mother regarding her missions as an Arbiter, and letting the hours pass her by.

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:35 am 
Chandi takes a moment to set the crystal ball back in its home, pleased with how interested Inderpal was with her slightly edited stories. She takes a moment to pick up Aja, who had finally returned to her normal form, and opens the door, stepping into the hallway. "Now, Lumina should be ready by now. Which way to her room?" Chandi takes a moment to pick the direction, and makes her way towards her fellow Arbiter's place of residence.

When she finally arrives at the right place, she knocks on the door. "Hey! Lumina! You ready for round two? Is Naomi back on her feet?"

Chandi hears a chirping sound near the foot of the door, and looks down just in time to see Naomi nudging the door open by herself. She chirps again, evidently pleased to see Chandi and Aja again. "Chandi?" Lumina's voice echoes from inside. "I'm in the garden right now. Come on in."

Naomi, moving with only a slight limp now, leads Chandi through the apartment complex that constitutes the dorm Lumina has constructed for herself. Through the lounge and out the back into a rather scenic inner area surrounded by apartment balconies, Chandi finds Lumina tending to a number of plants in a makeshift garden that looks dug out by hand. An old military issue backpack is sitting on a table nearby. "Hello Chandi! What a pleasant surprise to see you here."

"It shouldn't be. Shouldn't be a surprise, that is. I told you I wanted to meet up again before the end of the day so we could practice some more with the new part of your Shift. I think I can manipulate it to make it stronger, or at least, last a little longer." Chandi takes a moment to observe the garden, and the skyline of apartments surrounding her. "I keep forgetting that your place is full of buildings bigger than those back home."

"Oh, that's right, you did..." Lumina scratches her head, getting a small amount of dirt in her hair. "My apologies, but I've been a bit... Frazzled, I guess you could say. Yesterday was... More intense than I'd like."

Chandi gives a half-hearted smile. "I understand. And judging from the bag, I guess you're going somewhere, so we should probably make this quick. Do you need to get cleaned up or are we good to grab Serpico? I think his expertise will be required for the kind of test I have in mind."

"No, no I'm good," Lumina deposits a few seeds in a silk string purse and ties it off on her belt before wiping most of the soil off on a rag she'd left on a nearby patio. Hefting the bag up, Lumina makes for the door. "I'm good to go whenever."

"All right. Let's get this show on the road." Chandi takes a step to the side, presenting a path for Lumina. "If you wouldn't mind, please lead the way out. I'm never entirely sure where I'm going with buildings this tall."

"You get used to it, I imagine," Lumina laughs. "The cities from my world are rather large, and the mortals just about innumerable. We need the extra space of the sky or else we'd run out of room on the ground." Lumina guides Chandi back out of the dorm, Naomi trotting faithfully alongside the duo as they walk. After a moment, she continues. "So, Serpico? What are we testing, exactly?"

Once they've successfully left Lumina's spacious apartment complex, Chandi steps forward and returns to taking the lead. "We're going to see if I can get rid of Naomi as a target in a fight. I think if I use the right rune, we can keep her from getting hurt, and keep the effect going for a lot longer."

"Really? That would be quite useful. As near as I can tell, the only limit to the new ability with my shift is that it makes Naomi more vulnerable in some ways than others. So long as the weakness goes unnoticed... Team attacks I coordinate would be unsurpassed." Lumina ponders, trying to think of possible ways to overcome such hardships. "I'm looking forward to what you have in mind."

Chandi merely nods, and continues to walk in silence, until they approach Serpico's room. Chandi raps on the door with her knuckles. "Hey Serpico, you in there? I have a request for ya."

The door pops open at Chandi's contact. Inside, Serpico is standing at the easel in the corner of the room. Dressed casually, in a t-shirt and shorts, he seems even more detached than normal. He seems to be carefully considering the almost completed image there. Then, he draws his pen and slashes through it, cutting a huge tear in the canvas.

He turns to the two girls. "Ah, the guests never stop. What's new? "

Chandi smirks. "Lumina's Shift, but it's got a bit of a problem. I'm hoping however that with the right work, it can be fixed. I figured you would be the most ready and willing to test it." Chandi takes a few steps towards Serpico, then slings her arm around his shoulders. "How would you like a free, one day only, exclusive pass to stab me as many times as you wanted without any form of retaliation?"

In Asch's room, Athena gets a cold feeling, and shudders, causing her to choke on her tea. "Sorry. Sorry. I'm fine." She says a moment later. "Felt some kind of disturbance. It's nothing."

Serpico stumbles a bit when Chandi leans on him, and suppresses a grimace. "I'd like it better if it could be redeemed anytime. But you're finally getting into that too? I'm touched!"

Lumina stands by the wayside, leaning her back against the wall near the door, examining the room with what could conceivably be called mild curiosity.

"Touched in the head, but that's why we like you." Chandi says, with an even wider smirk, and a heavy dose of playfulness. "Well, tolerate you, anyways. All we need from you is to come with us to the training room, and after Lumina activates her shift, follow my directions." She pauses. "It shouldn't be too difficult, but tell ya what, if you're a good sport about it all, you can have two days. Today, and another day of your choosing. You don't even have to warn me." She lets up on her grip around Serpico's shoulders, and gives him a light pat on the back. "If you're feeling up to it." She takes a moment to glance at Serpico's canvas, but quickly shifts her gaze back to the snake-like Arbiter.

Serpico shrugs when he sees Chandi's gaze go to the painting. "I decided I didn't like the message it was making. You can stop trying to bribe me, also. What do you need, exactly?"

"It's just like I said. I need you to stab me. Several times, preferably."

"Okay, but its a bit cramped in here. Do you need me to draw an extra room?"

"No, no, no. In the training room. It's a test to see if I can make Lumina's Shift work more reliably. Just, grab whatever you need, and come on, all right? I'll explain the specifics when we get there."

Serpico shrugs a light open shirt over the tee, and creates a small cane. "In case." He says, as he goes to leave the room with them.

The three walk in relative silence, with Chandi taking the lead, passing by other Arbiters with nary a word between them until they arrive in the training room. "Okay," Chandi says, "Lumina, if you would be so kind; activate your Shift, and set it up, just like it was with Athena this morning."

"Alright, this should prove interesting," Lumina says as she transforms. The ethereal fox Naomi bounds towards Lumina at her call, leaping in the air above and emitting a powerful source of light. This time, however, something different happens. As Lumina transforms, Naomi remains as a translucent spirit. Focusing upon her sapient shift, Lumina bids Naomi to flow like silk straight at Chandi, enveloping the goddess of Change and Wind and dyeing her clothing a luminescent sheen of silver.

Lumina nods towards Serpico. "Alright, I'm good to go whenever."

Serpico twists his cane, and a sword blade comes out of the end as the sheath is cast aside. "Okay, do you need anything specific, here?"

Lumina ponders for a moment, before responding. "I designed the ability so that Naomi cannot be harmed physically or magically, but Athena managed to get around that...If you can forge a weapon made purely of ether, that should do the trick."

"Hmmm.... well, not of ether, but..." With a motion of effort, Serpico adjusts the color of the blade to a pale indigo. "This seals ether that it touches. That should feel like damage in this circumstance. "

Chandi shivers, a small smile spreading across her face at the thought of what this experiment could mean for future fights. "That should work. Just attempt to strike Naomi. A hit would mean we separate, and Lumina loses power for a while." A rune forms in the palm of Chandi's hand, and glows brightly, before spreading along the silvery sheen of Naomi's ether, turning it into a bright shade of gold. "But hopefully, if this deviation rune works, it'll just strike me instead." Chandi widens her stance, and opens herself up to an attack. "All right, Serpico. Strike!"

Serpico grins, and, pain forgotten for a moment, blurs forward, striking with a series of rapid fire slashes at the fox.

With each blow, Chandi grimaces, no blood being drawn, but each strike causes a visible strand of ether to flood out from her body, draining her of power. Finally, after several hits, the golden rune seems to shatter, leaving the ethereal and Chandi holds up her hand towards Serpico. "STOP!" Chandi's huffing, not physically hurt, but exhausted of Ether. "All right, so it's not a perfect solution." She says with a weak smile. "Thanks Lumina. I just wanted to see if that might work. Now, get Naomi off me, before Serpico has another go at the stabbing." She turns her head to aforementioned god, and nods. "Thank you. Now, as I promised. Two full days. One starts after Naomi doesn't have a shot at getting hit. Two can be initiated...whenever you want."

Serpico snorts. "I'll let you determine on your own how interesting I actually find that." And begins to wander off.

"Hold on," Lumina says, before anyone can do anything.

Serpico stops in his tracks.

"There's one more thing I'd like to try," Lumina pulls out the pouch she'd placed the seeds in and, after a moment of concentration, places one on Chandi's chest. Within moments, the seed sprouts and begins to grow. Chandi notices an immediate boost to her level of ether as the plant continues to grow. "Alright, let's have one more go at it before we call it quits, shall we? I need a chance to test my new mana flowers."

"Same requirements?" Serpico tests the weight of the cane sword.

"Same requirements," Lumina responds.

Chandi pulls energy from the seed, and reignites the rune, a frown on her face. "I have one more thing to ask after this, if you guys can stay a second." She once again opens herself up to Serpico's strikes, this time focusing on constantly regenerating ether with the help of the seed. Serpico nods, then, with a more visible sign of exhaustion, pulls himself back to full height, and then kicks off from the ground. He strikes with a series of thrusts this time, aiming to impale and puncture multiple times. The golden aura around Chandi remains for a lengthier period of time than the first attempt, but still fizzles out after a few minutes.

Serpico shakes his head. "I don't know what either of you are gong for here. A pure ether attack isn't that common. If I was instead coming at you with full force, what would you do then?"

"We'd stop you," Lumina says in reply. "My new shift ability offers me near perfect coordination with another team member. In this case, you don't see it because I've not done anything."

Chandi shakes off the second wave of exhaustion from the attacks. "No, they aren't common. I'd just rather have something prepared for if we fight someone who figures out the weakness."

Lumina gives a half-hearted shrug, then continues. "Anyway, I'd better get out of here. Planning on heading down to visit Casey and see how the pregnancy is coming along. Unless there's anything else anyone wants to try?"

"I'm good. But like I said, I wanted to ask you guys something." Chandi takes a deep breath. "What do you guys think about assigning a leader for the team?"

Serpico fits the discarded sheath back on the sword. "Didn't occur to me. So far we seem to be doing okay with the wild unpredictability model. Everyone jumps in and when the explosions stop its over."

"A leader?" Lumina asks. "Yeah, it might be something we need... The explosions of random chance are fun, but more proper coordination may well result in even more fun things if we can manage it. It's why I chose to create a new ability to promote teamwork. Most of our major victories have been the result of us all coming together for a change and actually working together on something."

"It also keeps us from getting stuck somewhere, and arguing until disaster strikes, like what happened with the cave." Chandi says, a bit sharply. "I was thinking that Harmony might make a good leader for the group. She's smart, MUSE seems to be just as intelligent, her Runes work well with coordination and teamwork, it just seems like a good idea. What do you guys think?"

"Half the time it feels like we need a reference guide to something to understand what that chatty ball is talking about, but otherwise?" Serpicio shrugs.

"You think she's up for it?" Lumina asks. "Being a leader is a tough job. You've got to look after everyone underneath you. Treat their lives as if they were your own. If you make a bad decision... It can be a pretty big strain."

"I could test her!" Serpico offers brightly.

"Every day with you is a trial," Lumina agrees.

"And that makes everyone a little stronger and smarter." Serpico sagely states.

Chandi makes a point to roll her eyes at Serpico's comment, then continues. "I feel like Harmony can handle it. I've spoken with her, and she seems up to the task, but she said she wouldn't consider it unless everyone was in agreement about it. So, simply put, if Harmony lead us, would you follow?"

"I wouldn't deliberately undermine things unless absolutely necessary." Serpico seems satisfied with this answer.

"Close enough!" Chandi says with a smile. "And what about you Lumina?"

"It's something. A step in the right direction. If she thinks she can handle it, I'd be willing to listen." Lumina thinks for a moment. "Besides, girl has got a good enough head on her shoulders."

"Yes, but it might not be the head she always had." Serpico turns and starts to walk away.

"Great, two down. Three more to go." Chandi says with a sigh. "Ugh, I forgot that Alexis hates MUSE. He's going to be problematic." Chandi runs her hand across her face. "All right. Thanks again for helping out with this, Serpico, Lumina." Chandi approaches the door, stepping in just behind Serpico. "And sorry for the...rude assumption on a reward. It's hard to read you. And you seemed angry. And not just at your art." Chandi gives Serpico another light pat on the shoulders, then passes him by and opens up the door. "Enjoy the rest of your first day off." Chandi says to the two with a wave of her hand, as she makes her way down the hall to track down the three Arbiters she'd yet to see.

Post Posted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:32 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
The following is the result of RP between me and jared. It took me more finagling than I'd like to think about to try and get Lumina's words just right, but I kinda like the end result of this conversation.

Serpico leans on the cane a bit more as he walks off from the training room. The burst of activity seems to have increased the ache in several of his muscle groups.

"Hey Serpico, wait up," Lumina says, moving to catch up with Serpico. "Your room is on the way to the teleporters and I think it's past time for a little chat between you and I."

Serpico turns and stops. "Ok. What's up, Sparky?"

Lumina walks for a couple steps, thinking about what she's gonna say, before finally giving up and going for the direct approach. "I honestly don't get you, Serpico. You're a jackass. A lot of the stuff you do makes me want to gouge your eyes out with a shiv made of salt. And other times you're risking your neck to save the rest of us. Then it's back to saying and doing things that make me even angrier."

Taking a deep breath, she continues. "This is a conversation I honestly didn't want to have, but you're on the team with me. You wouldn't be here if Athena didn't trust you. I trust Athena, and I trust the fact that you've gone out of your way to save us."

Serpico sticks his hands in his pockets. "That was oddly heartfelt, I suppose. Well, as much as any statement starting with a rundown of insults can be."

"I'm just trying to say I don't understand how you work," Lumina shrugs. "I'm not good with this whole 'talking things through' stuff, I guess. It's just... you confuse the hell outta me."

"Good." Serpico smiles, a bit gently. "Life would be boring if everything was predictable."

"I'm... I'm sorry I yelled at you. Yesterday, I mean..." Lumina blushes. "I just... When I was alive, I devoted my life to protecting people... Literally. That was how I died. And I failed. And yesterday, I failed again. My emotions got the better of me, and I took it out on you. I just..." Lumina sighs miserably. "I was out of line. I'm sorry."

Serpico pauses for a moment. His face is as unreadble as ever, but at a gues, it may be that he is uncertain how to respond to that. Then he shrugs. "You can apologize if you want to. Don't feel bad about it the next time you want revenge on me, though. Because I guarentee that will also happen." He snorts. "All of you are acting really weird today. But I guess I am too."

"Yeah, yesterday was a bit stressful. I'd wager we're all gonna be acting weird today, I guess," Lumina sighs as they approach the door leading to Serpico's room. "Alright, I've said my piece. I'll leave you to your designs."

Serpico watches Lumina walk away for a moment, then suddenly grins. He snaps his fingers, and flares briefly with ether. "There. Much better." He mumrers as he walks into the room and kicks the door shut behind him.

Lumina doesn't notice at first, on her way to the transporters, although some passerby seem to be stopping to stare for a moment. However, it is the last moment before the trasporter activates that she catches sight in a mirror polished metal surface. Her formerly black hair has been recolored several shades of pink and blue, and her outfit has had a bright yellow smiley face "drawn" on the front, day glo in its brightness.

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:41 am 
(The following occurs at some point after Harmony has come back from visiting Magus' world, RP between Harmony and Asch)

Asch finishes her tea with Athena and shows her out of her room. Bidding her farewell, Asch starts to walk down to the halls, and decides it's time to begin investigating the events on Utopia. Her first meeting she wants to have is with Harmony, and so she finds herself in front of Harmony's door. She knocks gently upon it. There's no response. She does, however, hear a very faint humming sound emanating from the door.

Asch puts her hand to her chin and starts to think. "...MUSE?"

There is still no response from the room. But she can just make out that the humming sound seems to be changing in pitch and tone at rhythmic intervals.

Asch knocks a little louder. "Harmony? MUSE? Anyone home?"

As she gets closer to the room, she starts to make out the sound...

Asch curls her lower lip in disappointment. "Strange... wonder where they went."

Rather suddenly, the humming emanating from the room seems to cut out, and a voice comes from behind the door.

"I'm sorry, but *pause* Harmony *pause* is not available right now. Please leave your name and message after the beep."

*BEEP*

"Huh. Okay. Hey, Harmony, it's Asch; I wanted to ask you some questions about what happened on Utopia. Let me know when you're up to talk."

"Oh, well in that case, Harmony's out getting some Ether Spheres to try something. You can probably find her there. And also... tell her to LET ME OUT! And that I apologize for the balls comment."

The voice sounds similar to the voice of MUSE that Asch has heard before, but less robotic - more like that of a normal person.

If her eyes could be seen, Asch would be blinking rapidly at this. "Um... okay."

"I think it's... uhhh... what was it again? CORE?"

"DOWN THE HALL, TURN LEFT. THEN RIGHT. JUST KEEP ALTERNATING. YOU WILL FIND HER EVENTUALLY."

"Zigzag! Just don't zig when you should have zagged. Or zag when you should have zigged."

Asch nods. "Thank you. I shall pass along your message."

As she leaves, she could almost swear she heard music firing up in the room, with a voice singing "Goodness gracious GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!" followed by a piano solo.

Following the directions, she briskly walks down the halls alternating as instructed, and quickly finds herself alternating back and forth as she walks down hallway after hallway. There does not, however, seem to be any sight of Harmony immediately forthcoming. Eventually, she starts feeling silly as she wanders, and eventually sighs and tries to contact Harmony

"Hello? Asch? What is it?" Harmony's voice seems a little bit absent-minded, as if she's focused on something else.

"Hi, Harmony. I just stopped by your room and you weren't there; I wanted to ask you some questions about what happened on Utopia, if that's fine by you. I was also told to pass along a message by a certain someone locked in your room, but after they gave me bogus instructions on how to find you I think I'll pass on that."

"For some reason MUSE is being a rat bastard after... well. Something I consulted with Magus on. Anyways, I'm over at our classroom. Former classroom, I guess it will be soo---" There's a clattering and rolling sound as several somethings apparently drop to the floor. "Oh, not again..." The 'call' seems to cut off.

Again Asch blinks under her hat. With a sigh she says "Oh, right, I forgot how she gets sometimes..." She begins to walk towards their old classroom.

As Asch enters the classroom, she finds Harmony looking underneath the desks, swearing underneath her breath. "Ah, Asch. One second, I've lost my marbles." There's a rolling sound as she bumps a chair and a small sphere rumbles its way across the floor before bumping gently into Asch's foot. She notices that it seems to be emanating a gently pulsing white light.

Asch reaches down and picks up the sphere, inspecting it and gathering information with a mystery rune. "Lost your marbles, have you... why am I not surprised."

Near as she can tell, the sphere is somehow storing Etheric data - in this case, the data seems to be tied to 'Light.' Harmony makes a 'a-ha!' sound as she snags another one and places into a pouch she has around her belt. She notices that Asch has picked up the other one and smiles. "That's the last of them. Just picked them up. One-shots, but they'll make tuning easier... especially if I'm somewhere where there is very little of that particular element." She unhooks the bag from her belt before holding it open for Asch to place the sphere in. Inside, she can see five more similar spheres.

Asch nods and smiles. "Ah, I see. That sounds useful." Placing the sphere in the bag, she says, "So I've been thinking. While Athena cannot hear or record descriptions of what you saw on Utopia, I get the feeling my database, since it's a part of me, will be able to record it. If you don't mind, I would like to get a record of what you saw, as well as your thoughts and interpretations of it."

Harmony settles down into one of the desks, and motions for Asch to do the same.

"First, I suppose you should know exactly what happened when I left the group to attempt to break the planetary barrier..."

She closes her eyes as she seems to search in her memory.

"When I arrived at the barrier, just before I could begin analyzing it I was confronted by a man." She gestures, and before the two of them appears the person that she encountered. "Tattered brown cloak, apparently humanoid, yellow eyes, the left eye split by a scar. The same person we encountered when you... investigated the past and came across the image of the broken world."

"To me, it was clear that we were little more than part of his experiment. Called us 'rats' in his maze."

Harmony replays the conversation for Asch, as best as she can remember it.

"When Athena blessed us before, she left a bit of herself in MUSE when it intercepted the blessing, which has allowed her to keep tabs on us to a certain extent. I think he realized that, and deliberately targetted MUSE in order to keep her from 'recognizing' him - the program was completely erased from MUSE's memory. He is strong - I had absolutely no chance to defend myself from him. And I suspect..."

Here, Harmony pauses, apparently arranging her thoughts. "Somehow, he was strong enough to block Athena from entering the battle herself. Remember how the barrier allowed people in? Did you not find it odd that, given the lack of contact with us, that she personally did not enter to investigate? She could not get in. I believe the barrier was only allowing in... smaller powers. Like a sieve that catches the big rocks, only allowing the sand to fall through. A former Elder Arbiter... well, there was no way he was going to allow someone as strong as her to interfere with his 'experiment'.

Harmony sighs and rubs her hands against her temple. "That tells me he's strong. Strong enough to keep Athena from going through his barrier. Strong enough to somehow have 'erased' the memory of himself from all but those who have personally encountered or seen him. Very strong indeed... I never even had a chance."

Asch enters data at a rapid pace as Harmony relates this information. Once Harmony reaches the end, Asch nods slowly. "Alright... come to think of it, Ashley did end up adding some data to my database before she blacked out. I'll have to look over it later." She closes her database and gives a smile at Harmony. "Thank you very much... this will be very helpful in my investigation."

"There is one... other thing."

Harmony takes a deep breath and continues.

"When I was tied into the Crystal... when it had control over me... I could feel what it felt. What it was planning. When you... the other you... sacrificed that piece of Weave for power, it was angry. Extremely angry at you. It wasn't afraid of the power of the blade. It was angry that you would have destroyed a piece of your own Weave. And..."

Harmony frowns for a moment. "Whatever else the Crystal did... to the bodies, to the minds, of whatever it infected... if left the Soul - the Weave - alone. I mean, think about it. It's sucking the Leyline dry of power, and using that to take energy from the mortals, yes... but at the same time, it never ever considered converting the mortal's Weaves into power. And I think it easily could have done so, if it chose to. The same goes with the Goddesses. I think that while the Crystal was meant to take power from the planet itself, it was not to... well... permanently harm the inhabitants. That was it's orders. It was not to harm their Weaves. I know that seems extremely odd, after everything that happens, but that was the feeling I got from it. Yes, the planet died, but the mortals will survive, and live out their next lives. I don't know. I could be completely wrong, but..."

She gestures helplessly. "What I don't understand is why. If you're willing to destroy a planet, why take the time to protect the mortals?"

Asch is silent for a moment, and then she says, "Without speculating on the actual motives of the crystal or its creator... I suspect that there are lines that some never wish to cross." Looking down, she mutters, "What's more, there's still another line between what I...what She did and what you're talking about. I don't think even She would want to use the Weave of another being."

She then shakes her head and looks up smiling. "Regardless... we'll figure it out once we get the data. And We've already decided to put a lid on Goldenslaughterer; I just upgraded my shift with a new blade."

"Oh? What have you made?" Harmony looks at Asch curiously.

"White blades of Runecharging; while not as potent of blades of truth, my shift can now amplify runes in to blades. I hope to be more useful to the team with it... I feel my actions yesterday were too often... isolating."

Harmony grimaces slightly. "Can't say I was much better." With that, she stands from her chair and stretches. "Anyway, if you need anyone to practice with or against, or even just want to... talk, just message me. Don't bother with MUSE. It is... protective of me in strange ways."

Asch chuckles and nods. "I can understand that... maybe when I finish talking to the others we can practice? I would like to experiment with Rog-Limitation - oh, that's the name of the White Blade, incidentally - as much as I can outside of battle."

"Of course. I could use a bit of experimentation with my ba--... er... my Ether Spheres as well."

"It's settled then! I'll be on my way... I'll try to find some time before our next mission!" Her face unusually exhuberant, she heads towards the door. "See you around!"

"Ja ne." Harmony waves as Asch heads toward the door. As she exits, she halts waving with a sudden thought. "... what the heck does 'ja ne' mean?"

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:16 am 
"Okay. Is this it? I don't think I've ever even been to the big guy's room before." Chandi brings her fist to the door, then hesitates. She'd already mistakenly called upon three other Arbiters in her attempts to find Awakener's room. It was starting to get a little aggravating. Eventually, she brings herself to knock. "Hello? Awakener? Are you in?"

The Awakener's voice rings from behind the door, as clear as if it was on the other side. "You may enter." There is then a click as the door unlocks itself.

Chandi lets out a sigh of relief at the successful find. She opens the door, and steps into the room. A shiver runs down her spine at the general feeling of emptiness the room gives off to her senses. She takes slow, cautious steps as she gets further into the room, unsure of exactly how far she can travel in any one direction. Finally, she speaks. "Cozy place you have here." She says, just before running into a chair. "Got furniture and everything. I think." She feels around the chair, trying to get the general idea of its shape before twisting it and sitting down. She opens her mouth, about to ask about the leader idea when another thought strikes her. "Awakener, I'm curious. What was your home world like?"

The Awakener still maintains its vigil at the desk, with the Spiral Nemesis laying across it. Once Chandi sits down, it removes the blade, then turns to her as she asks her question. "Unremarkable. All physical aspects were within those levels generally utilized for the development of intelligent humanoids. The population was primarily human, with several other non-dominant species. Magic usage was common. Technology was generally pre-gunpowder, and developed slowly due to the suppressive influence of a high-magic world."

Chandi takes a few moments to process what was said, slowly nodding in understanding. "I see." She pauses, then bites part of her lip. "Your Mortals sounded interesting. What of the gods of your world? What was the world to you?"

"That is, unfortunately, classified," the Awakener says. "However," it continues, "I have been advised that I may share such information with you and the others who I work with directly. Therefore, before I continue, you must promise that whatever I say will be kept in the strictest of confidence. You may share it with the rest of our team as you see fit, as well as Athena, but no others."

"I...see." Chandi pauses. "I promise. No one will hear of this, or may I be ripped in twain."

"There were no Gods of my world," the Awakener says. "My world was created by a Demon."

Chandi's eyes widen, and for a few moments, she makes no sound. "A Demon made world." She whispers. "It's strange how thoughts like that never really occur, but they are just gods, aren't they?" She fixes her gaze on Awakener. "What more can you say?"

"From what the Arbiters who discovered my world can tell, the world was created as an experiment in balance preservation. The Demon who crafted it intended to make a world where no Gods were necessary - an automated system which would maintain the balance of the world through the operation of natural law. To this end, he cut the laws of nature from the leyline of the world, and bound them to elemental spirits, which would act as moderating agents. I, as you may surmise, was such an agent.

"This is not my true form. I originally existed as a formless and mindless being, a spirit of Finality, which governed the Ending of all things. I was not unique - each natural law, each element, each interaction, had a similar being bound to it.

"My sole purpose was to maintain the concept of Endings - to ensure that everything which came to its Ending did in fact End. From ensuring that mortals would pass on upon receiving lethal wounds or coming to the end of its lifespan, to ensuring that the sunset would end the day, and the sunrise would end the night, this was my purpose."

"Interesting." Chandi says. "That's somewhat like my own world. The many gods and goddesses living on it serve the Mortals by embodying certain ideas. Though in our case it's more of an occupation that was stepped into than an actual creation. I think the closest we have to you is what our Mortals call The Lord of Time. They say he presides watches the flow of time and helps things pass, but mostly he just handles the mortal deaths and reincarnation process." She shrugs. "It's not really that close a match up, but I suppose it's different when you're born of it. What happened to your world?"

"I am not certain," the Awakener answers. "When I left the world, the Arbiters who had come to it still did not know whether it could be rehabilitated. They were not certain whether they could ever undo the binding of the elemental spirits to it without destroying the world further, and even if they were able to, the God who would take over governing it would be forced to start completely anew. No life on the world survived."

"And what of the other spirits? What happened to them?"

"They are still bound, as far as I know."

Chandi pauses, again trying to work through the events. "How did you escape? Why weren't you bound?"

"I was forcibly severed from my world, and sealed into a physical form by a group of mortals in an attempt to destroy me. They believed that by forcing me to assume said form, they could slay that form, and that I would die in turn."

"From what you've already said, I'm guessing it didn't work. At least, not in the end." Chandi lets out a sigh. "What of the Demon who made your world? What happened to it?"

"The only thing which they accomplished was severing the concept of Ending from their world," the Awakener says. "At the time I broke free of my seal, every life-form on the planet was rendered unable to die, even when their bodies were damaged past the point of death, or even destroyed. Buildings would not crumble, pain would not cease emotions would not fade, and even the turn of the world could not bring an ending to the Final Day." It then pauses, to let Chandi digest this, and continues. "As for the Demon, though the Arbiters hunt for him, he continues to evade them."

Chandi's gaze hardens. "I love Mortals, I truly do, and I understand why they attempted it. But they reap what they sew." As the Awakener finishes about the Demon, Chandi lets out another sigh, with a weak smile. "That makes two of us, I suppose. The Arbiters still have no idea where the god who ravaged my people is." Chandi lays her arm on the table, feeling it to make sure she's got the idea of where it truly is in the strange room, then leans back, resting her feet on the edge. "As a sign of trust, shall I share something confidential about myself, as well?"

The Awakener looks at Chandi, and says "As you wish."

"The only reason I'm not classified as a Demon myself is thanks to the goodwill of the Arbiters. I've manipulated, torn, and scarred the memories of a god several times. It was not always in self-defense." Chandi's hand curls into a tight fist. "And once you know you can manipulate memories, it's a hard fact to ignore. Even something simple as manipulating my own memories, to forget something, or to try and piece things back together."

If the Awakener is affected by this statement, nothing indicates it. After a bit, it says "I too was tried as a Demon. Though your individual struggle may be something I cannot comprehend, you are not alone."

"Thank you." Chandi smiles. "And now, one last question before I get to what I came here for." She looks across the table, a small rune flashing in her eyes, letting her better see in the dark space. "Why the table and seven chairs? Did you plan on having meetings or something in here? Dinner for the team?"

The flashing of the rune has little impact on the darkness - it absorbs all light, even the divine. Though the Awakener does not react to it, it nods at Chandi's question. "The table and chairs are here for the use of the team should they require a place of meeting. The table serves as a surface to spread and mark documents, while the chairs are for comfort. I am correct in that, in general, the rest of you would prefer to sit than stand for a longer meeting, correct?"

"Well, isn't that sweet of you." Chandi says with a chuckle. "I don't think a single member of the rest of us has a room set aside for a group meeting, let alone the only room." She chuckles a little bit more then lets out a sigh. "They are comfy chairs, even if they aren't the easiest to spot." Chandi's expression finally settles into one more serious than the smile she'd been wearing. "All right. I guess I've bothered you long enough. I'll get straight to the point, what do you think about the group having a leader, and what would do you say to Harmony being that leader?"

The Awakener ponders for a moment. "I believe having a leader may be useful. It is not practical to attempt to coordinate through democratic means on the field of battle, and our team needs a means to prevent conflicts such as that which occurred in our second mission from occurring. However, this may come at a cost. So far, all of our victories have come from a different member taking charge of the situation. Our victory against Athena was based on your decision to combine our powers to turn her magic against her. Our victory against Ryuseii came from Asch's use of her Denouement Blade and decision to have Serpico overwhelm his emotions. Our victory against the Crystalline Entity, interrupted as it may have been, was due both to your creation of Aja, and my transformation of Serpico's blade." As it says this, its hollow gaze fixes on Chandi. "Having a single party making decisions on our behalf would eliminate this strength."

"A good leader knows how to use the strengths of their allies, including ideas and plans. Just because Harmony would be in charge doesn't mean she'd be the sole producer of strategies, just the one we listen to above each other. The one who finalizes decisions and uses us to our best. Harmony isn't as emotional as me or Lumina, she's not as extreme as you or Asch, and she's not as...out there as Serpico or Alexis. I think she's a good middle ground between the seven of us."

The Awakener listens to Chandi, and nods. "I agree with your assessment of Harmony's strengths when considering who should serve as leader. If it can prevent failures such as Alexis' decision to announce our presence in violation of our orders, I will agree to this. However, I do ask that it be on a provisional basis, to assess its impact on our tactical ability. If Harmony is able to effectively utilize our strengths without diminishing our abilities to adapt to the situation, then I will support her as the permanent leader of the group. If not, then the idea should be reevaluated."

"Perfectly understandable." Chandi says, as she removes her legs from the table, and stands up, pushing her chair back under the table. "Our first mission should be more than adequate as a test run of the leader idea. If Asch and Alexis agree to it too, of course. Harmony said she wouldn't consider it unless everyone agreed." Chandi smiles. "But, the way things are going, that may not even be a problem." She takes a few steps towards the door getting ready to leave. "Thanks for understanding, and agreeing Awakener. And for sharing what you did. If you ever want to talk some more, feel free, I'd be more than happy to listen. Maybe we can even swap stories about better times, eh?"

As Chandi moves to leave, the Awakener's voice rings out in the darkness. "A moment, if you would."

"Yes?" She says, turning to face the metallic god.

"At the end of our battle, when Shin had destroyed the world, you expressed a desire to torture and mutilate him. You have in the past expressed similar sentiments. I do not understand this desire."

"Oh, that." Chandi shakes her head, then scratches the back of her scalp. "Honestly? I was just trying to get it through Alexis' thick skull that we wanted to end him, without having to jump through the hoops for his culture. The mutilation was just anger on my part at having to do that to begin with, because like I said, I find it hard to believe that in the seven years he's known us, he doesn't get that when you say silence it doesn't mean immortality, it means the End."

"That," says the Awakener, "is a feeling I do understand. Although I am aware that we have been assigned to continue working with him, I do not desire to do so. There is a part of me," the Awakener says, "that wonders whether it is best that he continues in his refusal to adapt to the existence of other cultures. It may be safer for the two of us."

Chandi frowns. "I sympathize, but for all his quirks, he's done just as much good as harm. Shutting him out isn't going to help him get over the problems he's caused. And much as I'd like to beat some sense into him, we're all a bit at fault for not trying to understand ourselves. Not as much as him for not learning in the first place, but still." Chandi pauses for a moment. "Maybe you two should have a talk about the Eater, and what you were more or less made to do. It might do some good for both of you." Chandi gives a small shrug. "At the very least, it allows you some time to air your grievances with him. I think, despite the stoicism, you do feel something. Letting it out might be a good thing. But you may need a moderator or mediator, if you're going to do that."

The Awakener looks at Chandi, then says "Perhaps you are correct. Regardless, I have kept you long enough. I wish you luck in your discussions with the others."

Chandi smiles. "Thanks. Don't think I'll need it for Asch, but Alexis..." She shrugs, and lets out another laugh, opening the door. "Oh, and you might want to go have a talk with Athena if you didn't figure out what to do with your Shift. If nothing else, she can probably pick up what happened with her Shift." A rune flashes in Chandi's eyes, and her eyesight returns to its original form. "Enjoy the rest of your days off. However it is you do that."

"You as well," the Awakener says. It then remains there, in the darkness, deep in thought, well after Chandi leaves. However, eventually, it rises from its place at the chairless head of the table, and exits the dark room that it calls its own.

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:05 pm 
(RP with Asch)

Asch steps out of the classroom, hand to chin and in thought. "Alright... who should I talk to next..."

"Asch! I was just looking for you!" Alexis lands near Asch, still holding a waterbottle in his tail.

Asch's head perks up. "Ah, Alexis, excellent timing."

"I've been going around the school with this -" Alexis holds up the waterbottle - "to see if anyone can hear it. But no-one I asked can."

"...hear it?" asks Asch.

"This is the voice of the Tattered Cloak Man." says the waterbottle, in the voice of the Tattered Cloak Man.

"It's not just Athena who can't hear about him. It's everyone." says Alexis

"Everyone... you didn't seriously go around asking various arbiters if they could hear it, did you?" Asch gives an exasperated sigh, but smiles. "Regardless, I seem to be able to hear it... and you have obtained for me a very vital piece of information." Asch raises her hand to bring up her database, and snaps her fingers to activate a mystery rune. "Can you repeat that voice sample?"

Alexis re-activates the waterbottle. "This is the voice of the Tattered Cloak Man." it says.

The ether of the rune flares, and an audio entry is added to Asch's database. "Fortunately, my Database is a part of me. even if he defies description to others, I can still collect data on him. Thank you, Alexis."

"He worries me." says Alexis. "If he comes here, no-one else would even see him... and if he starts throwing round those black lances, blighting arbiters... that could be really very dangerous."

Asch is silent for a moment, but shakes her head. "I agree... but that's why it's important that I put as much effort in to investigating him as I can, so that we can pre-empt him somehow. Every little bit helps."

"Yes... but I had another idea, about that."

"Oh? Please, do tell."

"He's far too powerful for us as a team. He took out Harmony so suddenly - if we go up against him, right now, we might all get Blighted or something. So I thought... since no-one else can notice anything about him... that we should try to leave a cache of information, somewhere. In case someone else needs it, later." Alexis pauses for a moment. "I can use my Sonic rune to make the cache draw the attention of anyone capable of hearing his voice. No-one else would hear it, so no-one else could find it."

Asch shakes her head. "Unfortunately, from what I gather, any attempts to convey this information to outsiders will fail, at least at the moment." A brief silence, and then she continues. "Actually... Ashley does have an idea on this that might be worth trying. We wonder if we could create a 'Mystery' with this information, in order to convey the infromation without flat out stating it."

Alexis looks down at his waterbottle. "That might work... I was just thinking of leaving it in the hope that someone capable of perceiving it might find it, sooner or later."

"Anything helps, of course." says Asch. "However, we need to test the extents of this hinderance on our communicative abilities, and some form of riddle, mystery, or perhaps myth, may be the best option; for as long as communication has existed, these have been coded ways of communicating the truth."

"Yes... it's worth a try. There was another thing I wanted to ask you about as well..."

"Go ahead; you've already given me plenty of useful information for my investigation."

"After our second mission, you said that I could have found out about space from any science textbook. There's a whole lot about... lot of things... that I don't know. I've got an idea to alleviate that, but I'd need your help to make it."

Asch smiles. "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I would be glad to help in any way I can."

"What I was thinking was - a book. It would start out blank, but be able to absorb the content of any other books. Keep all that information, so that I can use it to look up anything whenever I want. I could take it through the library here, absorb a lot of useful books - then, if I find something I don't recognise, I could look it up."

"That sounds a lot like my database. I would be glad helping you set it up."

"Thanks!" Alexis wraps his wings around Asch's legs in a hug. "Um... how does one go about making a book? Is it carved out of paper?"

Asch chuckles. "The book I'll help you make is much more than that. While I confess I think the best kind of books are make from paper... the book I will help you make will be made from Ether. It's simply the best medium for storing information they way you request."

"...that'll probably make it easier to carry while flying as well."

Asch nods. "Anyway... it will take a bit of time to prepare your book; I'll need to plan things out, so I'll let you know when it is ready. Thank you very much for helping my investigation."

"Great! Thanks!" replies Alexis.

Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:06 pm 
(RP with Athena)

Athena walks up to Alexis and smiles as Asch passes her, "Alexis, I was looking for you. Do you have a moment?" She eyes the water bottle but says nothing about it.

"Yes." says Alexis.

Athena opens the door to her classroom and waves her arm, "After you, please. Have you had any results with your Tattered Cloak testing?"

"I haven't found anyone outside my team that can hear his voice." says Alexis. "It's really very worrying."

Shutting the door behind them, she smiles, "I can understand your worry... but I seriously doubt even our cloaked friend could walk around here undetected." Her tone doesn't seem like she really belives that, but she's trying to be supportive. "We must put it from our minds lest we get driven insane... there's a difference between removing memory and cloaking yourself from seven Elder Gods."

"He cloaked himself from you." points out Alexis. "And your Shift, which specialises in recording the truth."

Athena strokes the spine of her book, "I've already notified the Elders about it. However our tattered friend isn't the reason I called you in here today... although I am proud of you for taking it this seriously!" She pats Alexis on the head fondly, "I brought you in here to speak about Shin...according to my records, he hurt you the most out of everyone. He was a bully to you... I must ask you, what do you think of him and what he did?"

Alexis thinks for a few minutes before answering. "He's... evil." says Alexis, finally. "A clear being of Light. But... not completely irredeemable."

Athena perks an eyebrow, "Oh? How do you figure that?"

"He knows right from wrong. He knows what is wrong, he just doesn't care. He knows that he will be protected from consequences. He knows how far he can take things without losing that protection." Alexis pauses briefly. "As long as he has that protection... I don't see him changing. But, if he has to face the consequences of his actions, then I think he can still redeem himself."

Athena takes a seat and smiles at Alexis, "And you think he could be redeemed? You think that, if he were truley repent, he deserves a second chance?"

Alexis looks at Athena as if she'd just suggested that her desk was made of cheese. "...doesn't everyone?" he asks.

"And that," she claps her hands, "Is why you belong in this team Alexis. I know you've made mistakes... I know some of the group are hesitant because of those mistakes. But you learn Alexis! You learn and don't repeat mistakes. And you have an extremly kind heart." Her smiles grows wide, "Forgive me if I don't get this term correct, but your heart is filled with the deepest night."

Alexis smiles. "Thank you. That... means a lot."

"Of course." She equips a very sly smile, "If I'm not mistaken, you mean to expand your knowledge of other worlds that view light as kind and darkness as evil yes? I heard you speaking with Asch."

"Yes. It's... kind of backwards... but something Lumina said..." Alexis pauses for a moment.

"What did she say?"

"What do plants need to grow?" Alexis asks.

"Clever girl." Athena pushes a potted plant across the table, "They need water and air... but they also need light. There are also plants that grow only in the darkness as well... plants being a wonderful form of life, they are a prime example of things that can thrive both in light, and darkness."

Alexis looks at the potted plant. "I can see," he says, "why a people who depend a lot on plants - and who can't echolocate - might have a bit of a backwards view on light and dark. I mean, it's really - really strange... but it's not as nonsensical as it sounded when I first heard of it."

"Well look at it this way..." She summons up a very tiny whisp of light, small enough not to scare Alexis. She makes it move behind the plant, the plant casts a long dark shadow across the table. "You cannot have darkness without light... nor can you have light without darkness. They depend on each other as much as your tribe depends on the trees for shelter. Your tribe also tends those trees, keeps them alive and healthy... without one, the other would not exist. Is that a bit easier to understand?"

"But if there's no light, then surely everything is darkness?" asks Alexis. "What would there be if a place had neither Light nor Dark?"

"There would be nothing. Remember how lost you felt when you first experienced space? It would be like that, only felt through all of existance everywhere. Light and dark are part of existance no matter where you go; life depends on it. A place without darkness or light would be torment to all who experienced it."

"That was rather scary..." Alexis pauses for a moment, then comes to a sudden realization. "That's why my echolocation didn't work! There was no Darkness there!"

Athena nods, "Space is empty.The next time you are in it, wrap yourself in your Shift and send out sonic waves from there - it may not let you see far, but you'll be able to see within the confines of your cloak and you'll feel safer... and speaking of your Shift..." She takes a moment and rumages through her desk.

Alexis watches with interest, to see what Athena pulls out of her desk.

When Athena comes back up, she has a thin piece of cloth in her hands. "Take one end of this, and pull as hard as you can." She grips the other end of it and braces herself.

Alexis flies up to grab one end with his foot. He flies backwards, both his natural and his Arbiter wings pulling back. He pushes against the front of Athena's desk with his tail, for extra leverage.

The cloth rips with ease. "This has happened to your cloak before, quite a lot hasn't it? More so when it's bombarded with light first no?"

"Yes." admits Alexis. "Quite often."

"Now watch this." She brings up three more peices of cloth, but this time she twists them into ropes, and then twists the three ropes together. She hands one end to Alexis, "Try and pull this apart." She hands on to the other end tightly.

Alexis grabs the end, and pulls again, as before.

No matter how hard he tugs, the cloth doesn't tear. "See there? By braiding and twisting the cloth, it becomes much stronger than it is loose doesn't it?"

"Yes, I see. That is a lot stronger. So... if I braid and twist my Shift..."

"You see where I am going." Athena grins. "It would become stronger, harder to tear, and even have more protection against light since less of it's total surface will be exposed."

Alexis looks over his shift. He imagines a braided surface texture, and twists his Shift into that shape. Then he continues, working inwards from the outside, until his entire Shift is braided and threaded.
"It's like the ropes we use for fishing nets." he says.

"I bet you can catch much bigger game with this!" She really seems to be enjoying herself

"Ooooh. That might be dangerous. Bigger game is more likely to want to eat me."

Athena smiles, "Just keep in mind you ARE a God now. That comes with the benefit of a lot less things being able to eat you." Athena stands, "Well. I need to go track down our walking Armory of Endings. If there is nothing else you need to speak with me about Alexis?"

"Not right now. Thanks." Alexis looks over his newly-woven Shift again.

"Then I shall take my leave. Enjoy the rest of your break Alexis." She bows deeply and leaves.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 165 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG