Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:42 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: Krail9
Hey guys, what's up? It's been a while, hasn't it?

I heard there was a bit of a revival going on around here, and it got me thinking about Broken Trinities again.

I know a few people would like to just pick up where we left off and keep going, but I don't quite think I have it in me. I just don't feel like I have the time to really pour into forum RP's anymore, and I've got other projects that are more important to me and my career that I'm trying to move forward with.

But most of all... I just want to finish the freaking story already. It's been nearly 10 years since this thing first started, and new Zelda games keep coming out and both confounding and confirming the wild fan theories this game was based on. In 7 or 8 years of actual active playing we managed to cover almost a week in game time and nearly half the story I had to tell. Frankly, I don't want to spend another 7 years trying to actually play out the rest of the story.

Originally, my plan was to just finish out the recap thread, and then when I got to the point where we left off, I would continue with a summary of what was going to happen next.
But then I thought, you know... It would be an awkward skeletal summary. My outlines were always pretty rough and disjointed. I made up certain details as I went along, and I let you all fill in the gaps with your characters.

Like all RPGs, this was always a cooperative storytelling adventure (especially since we had no system rules besides whatever seemed reasonable or interesting). It doesn't seem right to just tell the outline of the story without the characters and their actions.

So... I'd like to tell a basic summary of what happens throughout the rest of the story, but keep up the cooperative storytelling to some extent. I have a few ideas we can try out for what exactly this means.

First of all, I'll be talking to you guys here and there about your future character arcs and getting input to how you might react to certain situations, etc.

Secondly, we could do a few select RP sessions. Get a thread going, or maybe even just do a group chat, where we can RP together for certain important scenes. Things like battling Ganon, Marla, and Palous, ascending to sagehood, inspirational speeches, and maybe just a little idle conversation on the road.

Thirdly, perhaps we could do some group summarizing. Basically this would be like big-picture RP. I give you guys the broad overview of what happens (there's a long hard battle to get through Ganon's forces and into the castle), and you guys give a broad overview or little details of how that happens, (Elruto and Gotetsu team up and invent the slip-n-slide cannonball attack to break down a door. Kite goes into a rage and runs off after Carock, causing the group to splinter off, etc.)

Keep in mind, of course, that I have a lot of summaries left to write before we catch up with the current point in the game, so it might be few months before we get to this. I'll try not to make it too long.

So.... how does that sound to everyone?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm 
One more thing. If y'all are interesting in doing this, please PM me some reliable contact information so I can easily get in touch with you when we're trying to set up an RP session or something.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:25 pm 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Well!

I'd most certainly be down for this. Really the best way of contacting me is Skype -- We have a Leyline Chatroom we all use for pretty much every game on the board. I'm Mike.Biernacki on Skype -- ping me or John and have us put you into the room if you'd like. It's RP based, but it pretty much used for hanging out and having fun and playing Cards Against Humanity online ^^

Really I would love to find out what you had in mind for Nova, she's still one of my favorite characters.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:31 pm 
Just for fun, here's some random semi-spoilery scrapped plot tidbits!

This campaign was originally titled "God of Power" or something like that.

In my original crazy wild fanfiction that led to the creation of this game, the Triforce and the Triad were not just artifacts left behind by the goddesses. They were actually something like the seat of divine power itself, present in multiple incarnations to prevent the usurpation of said power. The plan was for Ganon to eventually get his hands on both the Triforce of Power (which he already has, of course) and the Triad of Power, effectively usurping Din as the God of Power.
A partially mortal Din would later fall from the heavens and become an actual character.

I decided to scrap this idea because I wanted to keep the goddesses distant and mysterious (and really didn't want to deal with trying to make Din get along with the PC's and all). It was a little too over the top in ways I didn't want to go. I changed my plans to make Shia, Marla, and Palous more important villains (Shia and Marla for Wisdom, Palous for Courage). I also wrote in a lot of ideas I had about The Nightmare, which is basically the Hylian version of the devil. These concepts of The Nightmare I got from Link's Awakening (where the Wind Fish's shapeshifting Nightmare is the final boss), Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess.
(Also, the idea of a universal evil figure in the folklore, Skyward Sword SEMI-SPOILER would later semi-confirm. My Nightmare is a bit more far-reaching than Demise, but I guess we never see Demise at full power)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:20 pm 
Krail! Nice to see you around again. I just happened to come out of the woodwork myself, actually, and have been hanging around again for a month or so now. One of this first things I did was check your profile and the Zelda thread to see if you were still around. XD

Anyway, yeah, I'd be willing to try something like this. I rather liked my two character submissions, and was curious where things were going with both the larger picture and the personal story that involved them. I was always glad that I got the chance to put Kael in the ground before things puttered out though. I wanted that to happen from the start, I just never quite got Eto far enough to 100% pick up the pieces afterward.

Oh, and Skype is probably the best way to contact me. I'm under ZetaStriker1 on Skype, but I usually either forget to log in or don't have time to split my attention to another conversation so I'm actually not on very often.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: Kisaimooglet
Oh wow. Alrighty then. I would absolutely be down, though I would be surprised if this turns out as low key as you're hoping. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ^_^

Kite was one of my more complex and fleshed out characters so I'm always up for getting back into his head. I am best reached thru chat. I'm kisaimooglet on AIM, which I think you still have, though I'm sure you can get ahold of me any way you want. I'm pretty easy to find.

I know we spoke really extensively about Kite's future and things he would or wouldn't do so I know you have a good handle on him, but drop me a line if you ever need a refresher. I'd be happy to hear from all 'yall.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 pm 
Definitely up for this! I've missed the RPG. I am absolutely terrible at remembering plot details though, so sorry if when getting involved in group storytelling I miss something really vital and put my foot in it!

I'll PM you with my Skype details Krail, but as I'm GMT pretty much the only time I could Skype with people would be either really early in the morning for me (late night for USA) or mid afternoon for me and morning for you chaps on a weekend. I'm up for either but it might not be easy to get a group Skype going!

I'm also contactable via Email, Facebook or Twitter - I'll send you my usernames.

Would be good to get this up and running again! Some of the character interactions were getting really interesting and it would be a shame to drop it all!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:17 pm 
I don't know about low-key, but I hope we can, at the very least, achieve a much better real-time to game-progress ratio than we had before. Ideally we could get to the end of the story by the end of the year, but... well, we'll see.

Anyways, it's great to see people coming out.
I should actually get around to finishing that recap stuff ^^;;;

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:42 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I'd totally be willing to join the game as an expendable low-level minion if you'd have me.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:56 am 
Hmm...
Well... it seems a bit silly to be taking on any new players at this point, but I suppose it could be fun to have someone playing random NPC's here and there..... Well, we'll see when I finally get around to it.

I finished the Swamp Temple summary tonight!

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 am 
Ooh, that recap thread. I remember that coming up the first time around. And spending a long time archiving forum posts so we'd have an easy to read record of them. XD

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:18 pm 
And thanks for making compilations of the big pile of unreadable text files I made of them.

Incidentally, if anyone wants to go back through this forum and save HTML files of each page of each RP thread for Zelda, that'd be great. My records actually leave off right where the most recent surviving thread picks up. I was planning to just save them as I went through and did the recap, but... you know... I haven't gotten there yet :p

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:29 pm 
I may see what I can do next week, assuming you haven't saved anything already.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 pm 
I suppose I seriously underestimated how time consuming this would be, and how difficult it would be to actually make time for this while my life is in a bit of an upheaval at the moment.

So.... sorry about the sudden shot of gusto over Christmas break, guys. If this happens, it's gonna be a while...

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:16 am 
No probs! I think this little thread has shown those of us who are around are happy to wait! We all have lives, after all :)

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG