Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:53 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: NekoFlashblade
=====================
SEVEN SQUALLS SECTOR
=====================

Many ages ago, our ancestors lived on a planet orbiting a distant star. Our home planet, the First Port, Earth, had run low on resources and was no longer able to sustain our race. The advent of Hyperfolding Technology was our salvation; folding spacetime would allow us to reach new systems that we could settle in. One such system was the Star Cluster we live in now. The gravitational variations caused by the stars makes travelling in space turbulent in areas. At present seven star systems in the cluster have been accessed through hyperfolding, and as such we currently refer to it as “Seven Squalls Sector.”

Preliminary Info

Before we can detail human influence on the Seven Squalls Sector and what planets there are, first there is some preliminary info to cover. Some of this is subject to change pending planetary creation.

Because the primary (and perhaps only) species in the Sector is Humans, it is worth noting that each of the sectors that is heavily inhabited probably do not fall under the same rule; humanity came many ages ago, and as they are still only human factions have likely arisen.

Hyperfolding Technology is the basis of travel between stars; the basic theory is by causing a fold in space time the distance between two areas is greatly diminished when travelled by a ship using the right engine. The greater the distance, the more spacetime must be folded, and therefore the more energy must be expended; for example, the difference between folding the space between Earth and the Sector and folding the space between two stars in the sector is like folding a large book compared to folding a few pages. When hyperfolding technology was first invented there was no way to sustain the pathway, so the trip from Earth to the Sector was one way; later advances using resources found in the first star system allowed the humans to set up permanent Hyperfold Gateways between explored systems.

Notes on terminology:

Since I’m using Pirates as a theme in the game, I intend to use some nautical terms and imagery. This extends to technology as well. There are two primary terms I will be using often:

Corsairs - Corsair is the catch-all term for Armed Mechanical Spacesuits, or Mechs if you prefer, used in the Sector. There are a number of Corsair frame types on the market, but the most common type is human shaped due to there being a need for use Planetside in any terrain, which legs help with. Corsairs have a cockpit in the “torso” and keep most of their sensors in the head. The arms and occasionally back typically carry armaments; the back can also be used to carry advanced sensory equipment. Legs and lower back contain thrusters and other movement technology.

Galleons - Galleons are the most common kind of spacecraft in the Sector. They hold large crews and have a single docking area at the bottom for Corsairs and smaller spacecraft, such as landing vehicles and small assault craft. All spacecraft have their bridge and living quarters at the center of the craft, towards the front, with the engine core towards the back. Surrounding these components are multiple Banks, used for armaments and support. The Keel Bank is where the aforementioned Docking area is always made. The Stern Bank is used for the Main Engines, and the Bow Bank is used for the Main Guns. There are two banks each on the Port and Starboard side. All crafts have Stern Banks, but only Galleons and larger have Bow Banks; smaller craft have less side banks and larger craft have more.

While there will likely be multiple factions within the Sector as I stated above, there are two primary groups to consider:

Space Pirates - As influence has spread throughout the sector, trade routes have developed as well. Due to the relative difficulty of policing space travel, especially due to some of the harsh conditions within the sector, Piracy ended up growing much like it did on earth. Space Pirates act outside of Sector law, and are often hired to take on jobs that might be seen as amoral by some. Some Pirates are also adventurers at heart, and many discoveries about the sector have been attributed to Pirate explorations.

Sector Defense Armada
- The peacekeeping body in the sector. While each faction likely has their own armed forces, the SDA is a joint group assembled by the leaders in the faction groups in an effort to curb the piracy on the rise. It has access to the highest level of technology to achieve its goals, and currently the only group currently in possession of the three massive Dreadnought-class starships, each capable of wiping out entire fleets with their main guns.

================
SYSTEM CREATION
================

Now that we have some basic info out of the way, we can discuss System Creation. There are seven systems currently charted in Seven Squalls Sector, and they need to be created.

This process takes two steps: Generation, and Linking. Generation is what this portion is all about; linking will come once all the individual systems are made.

I intend for this to be a six person game, so sign-ups will be partially dependent on systems creation rather than character creation; the six most interesting systems will be chosen, and I will generate the last to fill whatever need we have.

Part of the fun of system generation is randomness; systems don’t need to be “balanced” like characters are, and randomness makes it feel more organic. To this end, we will randomly generate systems using three attributes on a nine point scale from -4 to +4: Technology, Environment and Resources.

To accommodate this, players who are interested should send me a PM, and I will respond with three numbers on that nine point scale, randomly generated by me.

The numbers carry the following meanings:

Technology: (Technology describes the level of technology a world has; if it has been populated by humans, there may be a reason it’s stuck at lower technology levels, and I only want to accept one alien race at most, so be prepared to think of why humans might be stuck at a low level if need be.)

-4: “Stone Age”: No useful technology to draw upon, if there are any people at all. Could describe a world without a culture, or could be an outpost with no intrinsic capacity for manufacture. Anything beyond simple tools constructed from raw material must be imported.

-3: “Metalworking”:
Only capable of basic metallurgy; if there is power, it is supplied by machines that locals can no longer maintain and probably do not understand. A catastrophe may have occurred to push technology this far back, and there may be scars to show it.

-2: “Industrialization”: Capable of mass production and planetary exploitation, but power is expensive and not widely available. The primary world is extensively explored, but knowledge about the rest of the system is limited to any form of records about it before a technological fall. Other systems may be exploiting other worlds of this system, but the locals may not know of it.

-1: “Atomic Power”: Local culture barely has the technology to reach space. Most action is still planet bound, but power is readily available and there is a strong network for information technology. Locals can detect outsiders in the system, but cannot mount reasonable resistance. Could be profitable for outsiders to keep culture from advancing further.

0: “Exploring the System”: The technology available allows the culture to explore the system thoroughly; may not have commercial routes to move huge amounts of cargo, but colonies may be established on multiple habitable worlds. On the cusp of being able to be a major power on its own in the Cluster.

1: “Exploiting the System”: The technology available allows the local culture to commercialize its system. It is not yet capable of building ships capable of using Foldgates, but it can trade with cultures that use them, and may rent Fold-capable ships and space on regular trade routes.

2: “Foldgate Use”: The system has commercialized its Foldgate and Fold-capable ship technology. It is feasible to for this culture to travel and trade with other systems in the Cluster. Within the system itself, commerce is vigorous thanks to readily available civilian spacecraft; all habitable and many partially habitable worlds will have permanent colonies and industrial, military and scientific outposts.

3: “Foldgate Mastery”: Technological dominance of the the system; controls the most advanced Foldgate technology available, and will be the primary power in the cluster unless it is ideologically opposed to doing so or is politically opposed by another T3 culture. They have effective domination of space where they desire it, though it is either too expensive or just not profitable to hold every world. May maintain a monopoly on technology, and sell or lease ships and space to maintain dominance over lower technology cultures.

4: “On the verge of Collapse”:
An extremely rare form of system that is so technologically advanced it is spiraling into a transhuman ascension indistinguishable from a multi-billion death disaster. As this is extremely rare, if you get a +4 and want to go with this PLEASE discuss your idea for what might be happening to cause this systemic collapse with me. Some examples could include a self-replicating Nanotech grey-goo disaster, a technological singularity which leads to an explosion in knowledge and intelligence, hyperadvanced folding technology that foregoes the need for gates, and so on.

Environment: (Environment describes how many habitable worlds there are and how life may be in this system. Higher environment systems will see vast immigration.)

-4: “No habitable gravity or Atmosphere”: System contains no worlds worthy of being called a world. It may as well be a system filled with nothing but dust. There may be no regular habitants at all, and any technology rating suggests that there may be the occasional scientific or military outpost.

-3: “Barren World”: System is desolate; only planet viable for colonization contains no air, and water must be mined or chemically extracted. If local technology is below T1, technology must not be indigenous, and may require explanation.

-2: “Hostile Environment”: The system has a single world that can reasonably support a population, though the world is hostile to it. There is gravity and atmosphere, but the atmosphere does not support human life, or temperatures are too extreme to be mitigated by simple clothing. As with E-3, if the local technology is below T1, it may require an explanation for how the local population is surviving. People are most likely leaving this system unless it has a wealth in certain resources or technology.

-1: “Survivable world”
: System contains a single habitable but unpleasant world. The world may have extremes in temperature, water may be unsuitable for drinking without purification, harsh weather, heavy atmospheric pressure, or some other factor, but the air is breathable at the surface and water is in sufficient quantities to support life. No other world in the system is anything but an airless rock. Something to consider is why this system might be colonized in the first place.

0: “One Garden world with maybe some barren worlds”: System contains a single world capable of comfortably supporting human habitation with no special tools. Any other worlds in the system are uninhabitable without technological support and are treated as E-3, and may serve as military or trading bases.

1: “One garden and several hostle worlds”: As E0, except non-central worlds are treated as E-2.

2: “One garden and several survivable worlds”:
As E0, except non-central worlds are treated as E-1.

3: “Some garden worlds”: System has at least two worlds that are inhabitable by humans on the surface. Does not need an unnatural explanation, but it might have one. Immigration will be substantial and a driver in politics.

4: “Many Garden Worlds”:
System is implausibly rich in habitable worlds. If it is natural, the star may have a broad habitable region with several planets in it, and their moons may be large enough to have an atmosphere, or the system is a binary star system where each star is still situated in such a way that they can support comfortable worlds. Perhaps dozens of worlds have been terraformed, or there are several systems in the same orbit trajectory; whatever you decide, run it by me.

Resources:
(Resources describes what drives the economy of a system, and tells you if a system is economically dependent on other systems, or if they are supporting them. Will drive the economic factors that may establish conflicts in the systems.)

-4: “No Resources”: The system has absolutely nothing of value. This is so unlikely it will demand an extraordinary explanation, be it through something sweeping the system clean using some advanced technology, or that the star is first generation and has not yet been presented with the opportunity to produce heavier elements. If culture or environment exist at all, what does it mean, and how has technology sustained it?

-3: “Multiple Dependencies”: System is completely at the mercy of its neighbors; requires imports to avoid rapid degeneration and must be prepared to either fight for them or pay far more than it has. The system is desperate and has nothing to trade.

-2: “Needs Imports”: High pressure for conflict; system cannot sustain itself without some imports. If it has something to trade then it must do so on unfavorable terms. Likely embroiled in conflict both internally and externally.

-1: “Almost viable”: System lacks a particular resource which may account for lagging technology or be a focus of technological excess. If other stats are high, then they will be a source of trade trying to get their one resource they need.

0: “Sustainable”: Generates no surplus nor deficit; it has everything it needs and may be very insular, barely interacting with the cluster at all.

1: “Rich”: System is an active trader in cluster-wide commodity markets presuming sufficient technology; low technology means spacefaring neighbors may be exploiting the outer system without interfering with local inhabitants.

2: “One significant export”: System has more than it needs, either a little more of everything or a lot more of one thing. System is possibly the only place in the cluster with more of a particular valuable commodity than anywhere else. There’s not enough to start a war unless the rest of the cluster is resource poor. If the locals don’t have the technology to exploit it then someone else does.

3: “Multiple exports”: System has far more than it needs, and is exporting either raw material or manufactured goods. There is enough resources for plenty of systems to stay wealthy through trade.

4: “All you could want”: Packed with valuable metals, minerals, and tradable commodities to the point where it warrants an extraordinary explanation for how it got so rich. If locals are equipped to mine it, then they are either rich or at war over their motherload. If they are not equipped to mine, then someone else is or they are leasing technology to do it themselves. A T3 system might own this place or might protected it as part of its monopoly.

ONE LAST NOTE: If no player submits a system with a level of T2 or higher, the system with the lowest overall stats will be assigned a technology ranking of T2.

Once I send you your numbers, return to me the following information:

Name: [The name of your system; I’d prefer all systems have unique starting initials, so feel free to discuss what you’re naming your system with others.]

Technology: [The Technology attribute level of your system with a short blurb explaining the circumstances]

Environment: [The Environment attribute level of your system with a short blurb explaining the circumstances]

Resources: [The Resources attribute level of your system with a short blurb explaining the circumstances]

Aspects: [Come up with two aspects about the system to reflect its unique identity, extrapolated from its attribute. They can be related to things like politics, philosophy, geography, history, anything you think works, so long as it can be summed up in a few sentences. Feel free to discuss this with others as well.]

Life in the System: [A paragraph or two describing what life in this system is like; leave it open to some modification, as some pieces of this might change after I select the six systems we’ll be going with and we come up with the way the systems are linked, but feel free to put as much thought into it as you like; a few questions to answer here might be why the system was colonized, what the standard of living is for the average person, what local governments or powers there may be, and so on. ]

For a quick template, here’s what you should go off of.

Name:
Technology:
Environment:
Resources:
Aspects:
[Aspect 1]
[Aspect 2]
Life in the System:

===============
LINKING (Preview)
===============

Once we have our six systems (and I create the seventh), we will go through the process of linking them, and from there we will have our framework necessary to get characters created. I will draw out a line of the seven systems like so:

( A ) ( B ) ( C ) ( D ) ( E ) ( F ) ( G )

Then, I will roll using my positive/negative number generation scheme for each system. A negative number will link the system directly to its next neighbor. A zero will connect the system to the next neighbor and the next unlinked neighbor after that. A positive number will connect the system to the next neighbor, its next unlinked neighbor, and the next neighbor after that. I will randomly generate the order of the seven systems.

Once we have the order of linking arranged, I’ll draw up a better diagram to use as our Sector map. With the links in place, we can revise some the descriptions of the systems to better coincide with its relationships to the other, and from there I’ll get started on giving you all details for character creation.

Any questions, comments or concerns, post them down here. Send me a message, and I will give you your system stats to build off of.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:29 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Interested, obviously.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:23 pm 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Yes! I'm so in. Send me some numbers Himi.

Also, I wish to know your opinion... where would put our real solar system here, for Earth, at on your charts? I'm curious!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:50 pm 
I don't even have to chart it myself, I can go by the book.

The star system Sol is:

T-1 (We're at atomic power and our spaceflight technology is limited to launching probes out of earth's orbit)
E1 (One garden world, Earth, and several hostile worlds, Venus, Mars, Europa and Titan)
R1 (Multiple gas giants, heavy metal asteroids)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:11 am 
AOL: [email protected]
So in, it's kind of funny. Let's see some numbers!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:27 am 
If the systems have to have unique starting initials, may I lay premature claim to the initials CCC? I'm sure I can come up with a suitable name, depending on the numbers I have to work with.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:33 am 
Please, do, CCC. ^^ I'll get those numbers out right now.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:57 am 
I also encourage people to post their first idea of how they want to allocate their stats, just to give people an idea of what they might be making and open things up for discussion; this is partially a collaborative exercise after all.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:25 pm 
Oh! So we don't have to assign the stats in the order we get them eh? We can pop em where ever...

Hmmm...

Well, Ive got -1, 0 and 2. Honestly the first thing that came to mind was to have 2 be my resource level, have a major single export. It would help explain how people get off world and explore - after all - if ships come to get said resource, whose to say they couldn't take people away from it all?

Really with a setup like that and what I had in mind, putting the technology at -1 and the environment at 0 seems to fit. What I had in mind is an Earth-like world, pretty, self-sustaining, with a level of technology that allows it to signal outwards and reach space and have a nice level of information technology.

As for the Export? Well, here's what I was thinking -- and mind this is all pending Himi's approval and of course all of yours. What is something that would make other systems send ships to this standard world and trade with them? What could even be used to barter passage off world and send it's students and explorers skywards and into the stars? The answer? Is fuel. And not just some sort of fossil fuel, something unique, something that makes this world extremely valuable and allows it to have a massive export business.

I present to you, Pulsar.

When this world (I've yet to think of a name) was first colonized, it seemed to be a pretty Earth-Standard planet. Roughly the same size, same day length, gravity, water, and plantlife. It seemed to be a nice place to put the majority of people who wanted something like their old home. Well time passed, people grew, and technology seemed to reach a bit of a standstill. There was nothing incredibly special about the world, nor nothing incredibly dangerous. It was just a balanced, simple home.

People need fuel, however, to drive vehicles, to run cities, to live life. Now, back on Earth, people dug for fossil fuels, oils, and coal. So, of course, when the fuel supply brought on the original ships started to run low, digging began. At first, it seemed like there was going to be a problem. There didn't seem to be any oil anywhere on the planet, quite possibly because nobody had found any sort of fossils... there really didn't seem to be much more than plant life on the world. No real indigenous species. If it kept going like that, the world was soon to become just another holding planet for life who depended on the clusters around it.

That is... until someone made a mistake.

One day, exploring a deep cavern they dug, a team of miners had their equipment fail on them. The lights strung up all around them went black, but before they could turn on flashlights and helmet lights... they noticed that they could still see. The crystals in the walls around them, which appeared to be made out of a green colored quartz, were glowing. It seemed like they absorbed the light from the lamps and were putting it back out, glowing in the dark. An interesting thing they did, however, was pulse. It was a gentle, slow effect... almost like a heartbeat. The green light emanating from them would slowly fade, then burst back into full brightness.

Using the light from the crystals, the miners were able to fix their generators and turn their own lights back on... but the crystals stayed steady the entire time. The process took hours and they never faded. So of course, some of them were mined and taken to the surface, where they were before just ignored as a simple gemstone of no real value. The crystals were hard, but nothing that a good pick couldn't dislodge from the wall.

Once on the surface, the crystals were exposed to the sun light... and once they were brought inside the foreman's trailer to be shown, the miners turned off the lights and discovered something interesting... those crystals were now glowing 50 times brighter than electronic light allowed them too. They were also putting off heat now, almost too hot to handle. Once again, they gently pulsed away. The Foreman contacted the science and technology foundation right away...

Studies were done, experiments were tried, and in the long run of things the world's scientists found that these green crystals absorbed energy... be it light, electricity, natural or man made. The interesting thing was... that the reaction that happened inside the crystal once the energy was absorbed was exponential. It did more than just store and radiant energy... it radiated MORE energy than was originally put into it. It amplified it, and slowly consumed itself as it returned the energy to the world around it. One crystal, the size of a flashlight, would last for weeks on a single charge of electricity before it finished putting off all the energy it created, and even then the crystal only shrunk by about 10%.

The real fun began when scientists tried applying violent energy to it... such as fire. These green crystals absorbed all of the fire and glow with a burning aurora for months at a time... pulsing away and earning the crystals the name "Pulsar." Technology was brought in from off world to examine these Pulsar, and find out exactly what sort of limit they had... they found that the energy they put off could be used to power machines, technology, mechs and even energy based weapons (with an interesting effect of having that energy glow green). Scientists figured the Crystals glowed green because that color is the middle of the visible spectrum, and the crystals seemed to be extremely stable. Nothing seemed to be able to make them explode, or combust... but if broken the energy would "leak" out and tend to melt whatever casing the Pulsar was in. It was far better than, say, a fuel tank exploding when ruptured... a half-melted car with some minor burns for it's occupants was a far better alternative than death after a car accident.

Over time, Pulsar became a staple of life in Seven Squalls Sector, being an extremely potent and abundant energy source. It's still on the newer side of technology, a little more than 100 years since it began it's run on the market.... but it makes this world extremely valuable as it can export a lasting, stable source of energy that takes a simple charge from another source of power and makes that power last for months.

There are a few unanswered questions about Pulsar, however, that people are working tirelessly to figure out.

1) Is there any other variant that Green Pulsar, and what would such a variation do?

2) Could these crystals be changed, or manufactured, in both Green and other variations?

3) Why is this world (I really do need a name...) the only planet in the system that has these crystals grow underground?

4) What are they really made of? And this question is harder to answer, because scanning equipment tends to have it's signals and scans absorbed by the crystal.

The answer to these questions may very well be played out during the course of SSS.

So -- rough draft. What do you all think? Is nothing here rule breaking Himi? Do these Pulsar provide the game with a source of energy that may very well become a major plot point? Specially if the crystals turn out to be a bit more than meets the eye? (I did have things in mind for this...)

Gimme some feedback!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:37 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Well, more than anything, i have one question. Is this a human planet? And what did they use for fuel before pulsar, if it is? Since we ARRIVED in this system.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:41 pm 
Yes, it is a human planet -- and before Pulsar they used reserves of the fuel they brought with them on the original ships that landed on the planet. Limited in supply, of course, but fossil fuel, water generators and solar power -- fossil fuel being the staple. It was the fuel supply running low that prompted deeper mining and the discovery of Pulsar.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:46 pm 
Spacefold technology requires an extremely high power output, atomic AT ABSOLUTE MINIMUM and more likely fusion. There isn't a chance that fossil fuels can work,and I don't even think we use them for our current chemically propelled rockets. I have no objections to a neat phlebotinum they found here though, and Pulsar seems to be a fine idea. I might discuss it with Jared when he has the time, as he had an idea for a shipyard system.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:56 pm 
Atomic power then, it really doesn't change the fact that the people on world would probably want a less volatile and dangerous power source.

I'll be online a bit later in the day once Leyline Launches to discuss more! *gets back to work*

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:12 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
-snip-

Removed to avoid confusion. Newer version of my system on the next page.

Last edited by Kajin on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:24 pm 
Did you randomly generate those first three numbers, Kajin? Not trying to put your idea down or anything but I'm trying to make sure the stats given are random so I'm trying to monitor what numbers everyone has; I've been rolling and assigning them as people let me know they're interested, but if you randomly generated those numbers that's fine.

What's more the system you describe is more E-4, if the only habitable places are space stations and there are no planets left.

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG