Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:56 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
*poke*

What's the progress on this? I'm still very much interested in this game.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:48 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: NekoFlashblade
The progress is...

I have 6 systems in, so with mine that is enough to kick off character creation. I was giving ThyLordQ and Ruan time to send theirs in, but I want to start. With that said, I am going on a trip to Albuquerque and my internet access will be limited to iPad until November 1st. Because of this, November 1st is the ABSOLUTE FINAL DEADLINE for those two to send in systems; I will go with what we have and let them send them in as systems "to be discovered" if they so choose if I don't have them by November 1st. No matter what, on November 1st I will be posting character creation rules and generating a map of the Sector.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:05 am 
OKAY.
So I'm really tired right now, but I want to post this quick and get some feedback before I actually submit it. So lay it on meh.

Name: Werran System

Technology: 1
The Werran System has never been much for technological advancements. Rather than focus on diverting what little resources they have into the development of better equipment, they choose to make the most efficient use of whatever they have. The warship Casus that the original settlers used to land on Bellum remains one of the crown achievements of the Proschema Legion, if only due to the fact that it is continuously maintained, and works as well as it did when the ship first landed. The prison planets that the Werran System maintains can only support life due to particular agreements with the Crystal Computer Organization, involving protection against the pirates that make attempts to steal their valuable resources, as well as enforcement of employee standards. The limits of technology on Werran weaponry have created a startling trend of corpse looting amongst the soldiers, who are trained to quickly pick up the ways to use a particular weapon, even when unfamiliar with it, and they do not dispose of any weapon that can be salvaged. A common joke among the systems is that you can tell how long a soldier has been in the Legion by how much they clank when they take a step.

Environment: 0
The Werran System has precisely one inhabitable planet, Bellum. It is a large, mostly water covered world, situated between the two stars of the system, Wyrre and Varhara. Bellum is much closer to the smaller Wyrre than to Varhara, but due to the particular alignment of the suns, Bellum still experiences effects from both. Wyrre provides the majority of the heat and light that the planet receives during the day, while Varhara provides a pale glow, approximately twice the light of the Earth’s moon, during the evening and through the night depending on Bellum’s particular season. The coldest months are those when Wyrre comes between Bellum and Varhara, which is likened to their winter. The parts of Bellum that aren’t covered by water are covered by vast plains, and grasslands. The majority of the population lives on this planet, for obvious reasons.

The twelve other planets in the Werran System are lifeless, horrid places with a multitude of problems and aspects that make them uninhabitable for humankind. As a result, these places are either heavily maintained as prisons or as military training sites, to prep all legionnaires for any and all possible duties outside their system.

Resources: -3
The Werran System in unfortunately trapped in a perpetual cycle of service to other systems, due to the simple fact that with their lack of technological growth and the multitude of lifeless planets, they simply have no resources to maintain themselves. The only resources that the system can claim are space, and the Legion. As such, the largest method of trade is the conscription of legionnaires to other systems as mercenaries, bodyguards, interstellar police forces, and in the case of war, a full army. The trade that provides less for the Werran System is their offer to house all criminal elements with their uninhabitable planets as prisons. This provides less benefit for the Werran System overall as the have to pull in resources to maintain any life sent to those planets. To provide more benefits for the system, certain Werran prisons have a very high rate of execution.

Aspects:

[Aspect 1] Vigilant Warriors – Every member of the Proschema Legion has spent at least three years in the standing army, and as such, every person in the system has military training, and can fight. No member of the Legion should be underestimated in battle. Additionally, the strict nature of the Legion has left the citizens in a constant state of vigilance and dedication. At the first sign of a threat, every citizen would immediately cease working, and join the battle.

[Aspect 2] Adaptation – The Proschema Legion has only one rule that all soldiers must obey, “Adapt.” Every member of the Legion is trained to use various types of firearm and melee weapon, as well as several unarmed styles. They are sent for months to train on planets that will kill them if not properly handled. They are sent into other systems with such frequency that some do not see their home planet for several years at a time. The leaders of the army teach the soldiers how to observe their surroundings, understand their capabilities, and adapt to fit whatever needs fitting, and to adapt to fight whatever needs fighting. It is said that if you manage to beat a permanent soldier in the Legion, you must kill them, lest they come back stronger and enact their vengeance.

Life in the System: The Werran System was discovered and settled by soldiers, over a very long period of time. The System was selected as a perfect training zone, due to the lack of life, and the multitude of harsh atmospheres available for improving survival skills. A temporary government was formed, with the expectation that the actual leaders from the First Port would eventually send orders, but the temporary government enforced itself across the planet with such ferocity and zeal that it became the only form of government on the planet, The Proschema Legion, led by The First Soldier, a man who was first on the battlefield, last to leave, always fought for his men, and never backed away from a dangerous situation if it meant protecting someone. A soldier first, and a leader second. This position is far from the only one of importance in the Legion, but it is the only officially named one.

The Legion itself is simultaneously friendly and restrictive. One of the Legion’s goals is to create a family with each and every person, one loss is everyone’s loss, and one victory is everyone’s victory. Individuality is accepted, but every aspect of society focuses on creating bonds and thinking of the Legion as one person, rather than a multitude of people, and as a result it is rare to find someone who prefers to think of themselves as separate from the Legion. The only one who “deserves” the honor is the First Soldier. Dissidents are usually sent to one of the remote prison planets, if they manage to escape being beaten to death by their neighbors.

Every member of the Legion, which is subsequently every person in the system, is required to spend at least three years in the military, training to defend their beloved planets and people from any and all threats. Many choose to stay in the army, approximately 55% of the total population doing military work. The rest of the population focuses on maintaining the standard of living of the people, and guarding what the military cannot. Every member of the army who chooses to stay beyond the mandated time period must additionally serve one year in the SDA, to better understand the other sectors, as well as testing the soldier’s ability to adapt.

The Proschema Legion gets along well with the other systems, if only because they must rely on the other systems to survive. Generally, members of the military who serve for the other systems in exchange for goods and services to be brought to the Werran System dislike the societies and serve their duty with just the hope of returning home, but a small few get invested in the politics and the variances in the other systems, and form factions regarding who they will and won’t serve. These are the soldiers who typically never return home, either by choice, or by banishment, a rare but not unheard of punishment for those who defy or ignore Legion rules.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:43 am 
Military dystopia. Nice. The Crystal Computer Corporation has the technology (including recycling) to make the prison planets survivable, but would almost certainly insist that the local system provides certain resources - mainly water, air, and fuel for the resupply ships. Especially fuel, because that's likely the biggest cost. (Employee standards aren't actually all that high on their list of priorities, as long as the employees are still able to work; but they would do it in exchange for having the Legion protect certain valuable shipments, and maybe hunt down particularly troublesome pirates. And the number of valuable shipments would probably gradually increase, year by year).

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:56 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Officially going to pass on my system creation - every time I've tried to think up a system, my brain shuts down on me. Unusual, since I usually don't have writers block for this sort of thing.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:14 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: NekoFlashblade
CLOSED!

I'm gonna get started on the next thread after this is done, but here is what I have selected as the Seven Systems of Seven Squalls Sector:

(M) Moirai System (First Colony of Humanity, and most Populous; Trinary Star System, center of humanity)
(B) Bastet System (Humanity's First Encounter; Home of the Shatti species)
(C) Capella System (Devastated by a mysterious catacalysm; Rich in Salvage, some Advanced Gravity tech)
(CCC) Crystal Computer Corporation (Corporate owned system, develops computer technology; only inhabited planet has no atmosphere, harsh life)
(K) Kaina System (Shipyard System with advanced tech and offworld colonies; researching Black Box Technology)
(J) Juno System (Mining Colony; sole source of advanced fuel resource Pulsar)
(W) Werran System (Military Colony, with militant rules; culture of Military Service and Adaptation)

For the purposes of arranging the system map, this shall be the construction sequence:

(M) (K) (J) (W) (CCC) (C) (B)

And now, the rolls...

(M) - Positive

(M) connects to (K), (J) and (W)

(K) - Positive

(K) connects to (J), (CCC), and (C)

(J) - Positive

(J) connects to (W) and (B)

(doesn't really matter from this point, actually)

(W) connects to (CCC)

(CCC) connects to (C)

(C) connects to (B)

Preliminary map:

Code:
    (M) - (K) - (CCC)
     |  X     X  |
    (J) - (W) - (C)
        \     /
          (B)

Now let's muss things around a bit to make sure it looks like the Moirai system is a perfect hub...

Code:
    (K)   (W) - (CCC)
     |  X  |  X  |
    (J) - (M) - (C)
        \  |  /
          (B)

Cool, looks good! (It is also subject to change given recommendations.)

Regardless, this thread is mostly done. I'll leave it open for a bit to discuss systems further, but now it's time to open up the character creation thread!

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG