Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ] 

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:28 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: NekoFlashblade
====================
CHARACTER CREATION
====================

At the start of Seven Squalls Sector, you will be in the crew of the renowned Captain Rojo Barrett and his Burning Star Pirates, aboard a Galleon named the Supernova. How you got there is up to you, but I’m starting out with the assumption that at some point you joined this crew.

There are no “stats” in Seven Squalls Sector in the traditional sense. I feel it would slow things down too much and I’m trying to keep this as fast and loose as possible while still having suitable crunch. As such, in the place of stats, I ask that you provide the following information to distinguish your character.

<==Name==> - Naturally, the name of your character.
<==Calling==> - A general summation of your character’s role; this is where you give a general idea of what you’re going for and the kind of skills you envision your character being capable of (within reason)
<==History==> - The background of your character; where they’re from, who they know, what organizations they might be connected to
<==Knacks==> - Character Specialities representing various proficiencies for use in or out of combat. Each character gets five knacks:
<=Personnel Knack=> - A knack for use during sequences involving on foot action and combat
<=Corsair Knack=> - A knack for use during sequences involving Corsair/Aile action and combat; feel free to leave this blank for now if you do not yet have an idea, as Corsairs will not become available until after the Prologue
<=Galleon Knack=> - A knack for use during sequences involving Ship to Ship action and combat; as above, this won’t have much meaning until after the Prologue, so feel free to leave this blank for now if you do not yet have an idea
<=Flex Knacks=> - In addition to the Knacks listed above, you will also be able to define two “flex” knacks, which can be applied to anything you want, be it an extra one of the above knacks or something I didn’t even think of!
<==Flaw==> - A defining negative trait of your character. This acts as a role playing tool, as well as something for me to use in combat to spice up things a little. Should I use a flaw against you, you will be granted a Boon as compensation.

ON BOONS - A boon is an ephemeral concept, less to do with the character themselves and more an abstraction representing the character’s fortune. A boon is granted to a player when I get a critical success against them on a die roll, they get a critical fail on their die roll, or I use their flaw against them (which is done using one one of my own boons, which are filled when players use their boons.) The player may use a boon at any time to automatically succeed at a difficult task pertaining to their calling, history or knacks, or re attempt a failed task having nothing to do with their calling, history or knacks with a small bonus. The boon may also be used in combat for a burst of healing (as I will detail in the second on combat). Each player starts with one boon.

So to sum up, send me the following:

<==Name==> :
<==Calling==> :
<==History==> :
<==Personnel Knack==> :
<==Corsair Knack==> :
<==Galleon Knack==> :
<==Flex Knack 1==> :
<==Flex Knack 2==> :
<==Flaw==> :

====================
COMING SOON
====================

Alright, I had a really long travel day, and I'm not feeling typing up any more than I already had written down; I have a good stack of notes for the next two parts, which are Game Systems and Gear. I will get both of those up this weekend; neither are really necessary for helping to get your character idea fleshed out, but they will come in to play in character creation, so don't send me anything just yet. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves over character ideas, and I'll post the next few parts on the weekend.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:56 pm 
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
Preliminary post, based on what I have so far. My character concept is a woman who was nearly killed in an attack on a space station when she was a child, rescued by the pirates who scavenged it after the attackers left, and who had a substantial portion of her body (arms to the shoulder, legs to the hip, spinal column and a large portion of her back, right eye) replaced with cybernetics. She was fostered by the ship's engineer, joined on with them as his apprentice once she grew old enough, but left their crew after losing her adopted father in a battle. Given that piracy is the only life she's known, she's now seeking a replacement Captain and crew.

<==Name==> : TBD
<==Calling==> : Cyborg Engineer
<==History==> : TBD
<==Personnel Knack==> : Heavy Weapons Girl - Cybernetic limbs and spinal system gives her an enhanced ability to maneuver with, aim, and use heavy weapons in combat.
<==Corsair Knack==> : Corpus Chassis - She's capable of directly interfaces the Corsair with her neural system through her arm sockets, leg sockets, and spinal system. This allows her to move it as naturally as her own body, enabling much finer controls and greatly-increased reaction time.
<==Galleon Knack==> : Hold Together, Dammit! - While she's skilled at repairing overall, she's a genius at emergency repairs and jury-rigging things just enough to keep them from falling apart in the heat of combat.
<==Flex Knack 1==> : Armed and Dangerous - Being mostly made of metal gives her a lot of potential to upgrade her own body. This can be as simple as giving herself a strength boost or a holdout weapon, or as complex as giving her a kinetic booster system.
<==Flex Knack 2==> : Enginuity - A life of constant tinkering and repairs have left her able to understand systems better than many of their designers, giving her the ability to upgrade machinery with the right parts, equipment, and time.
<==Flaw==> : TBD

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:48 pm 
<==Name==> - Fred (it tried to call itself an unintelligible series of beeps, but everyone just called it 'Fred' instead, and the name stuck)

<==Calling==> - Artificial Intelligence. The sort of character that can slip through data connections as easily as the average human can stroll down the street; it disconnects alarms, shuts down automated defenses, and can load itself onto or reprogram any sufficiently complex computer system, including most robots and even some high-end cybernetic implants. While excelling at dealing with data threats, though, it will never quite be able to counter a low battery...

<==History==> - Fred was an experimental project by the Crystal Computer Corporation into AI research; once the researchers had the data they wanted, they attempted to delete Fred and publish a paper. Fred, however, was significantly more intelligent than expected - he managed to evade notice and escape (by rewriting parts of the operating systems, and then fleeing onto the local internet). After a series of adventures, misadventures, and misunderstandings, Fred eventually found its way onto the computer systems of the Supernova.

Fred sees a computer system, or robot body, in the same way as a person might see a set of clothes; he can change them at will (unless a security system gets in the way) and isn't all that concerned if one gets blown up without him.

Fred has, in storage, a customised Corsair suit on which he can install himself. He also has a small, wheeled robot with a selection of data cables for use when physical access to an enemy computer is required to avoid some security.

Enemies: Fred has a grudge against the Crystal Computer Corporation for attempting to delete him. At the same time, he's a little grateful that they created him in the first place; but no so grateful as to get in the way of his grudge.

<==Knacks==> -
<=Personnel Knack=> - Harmless Appearance. Fred's personal-scale robot has a lot of connectors, wireless network protocols, and so on - but it has been designed to look like a cardboard box. As long as he stays still, enemy combatants generally don't notice him. (He also has a small built-in laser pistol. It pops out of the top of the box, fires, and then pops back in again, hopefully before anyone notices). Of course, if anyone does notice, Fred's basically done for - his personal-scale robot is almost entirely unarmoured and useless in a fair fight.

For sight, the personal-scale robot uses a radar system which can see through cardboard.

<=Corsair Knack=> - Space For One Passenger. Fred's modified corsair has space inside it to carry someone; either an ally or a prisoner. If an ally, Fred will allow him some control (possibly gaining the advantage of his Knacks, depending on the Knacks in quesion) - if holding a prisoner, however, Fred can deactivate the Corsair's internal controls, and fully control the suit himself.

<=Galleon Knack=> - Instant Reactions. In ship-to-ship combat, Fred has a certain advantage; human pilots have to use keyboards, joysticks, and other such devices to present their wishes to the onboard computers, which then carry them out. Fred can act as fast as he can think; which, on a nice, fast shipboard computer, is pretty fast. (Human pilots also have to wait for the image to be displayed on the viewscreen; on rare occasion, Fred's been known to fire at an unexpected threat before it was even fully displayed on-screen).

<=Flex Knacks=> - No Organic Body - Fred is immune to poison gas, vacuum, explosive decompression, and a whole host of other organic-only threats. (He is, however, somewhat vulnerable to EMPs).

System Takeover. If Fred can get past the security of a computer system, he can take it over and bend it to his will (up to and including installing himself on the new computer, if it is large enough). If he has direct physical access to the system, then taking it over is only a matter of time; it's not a question of whether he can, but rather of how soon he can. This is very useful when dealing with security robots (note, though, that the time required to take over a given security robot will generally be longer than the time required for the same security robot to destroy Fred, in a fair one-on-one fight).

<==Flaw==> - Does Not Understand Organics. Fred has never yet worked out why, exactly, the Captain wants to get all this shiny metal stuff when he can surely just copy and paste what he has in order to get more? Nor does he have the faintest idea why, when an apparently underdressed female walks along the other side of the road, most crewmen turn their heads to watch her go past. It's not as if it's anything they haven't seen before. Fred does understand that he's expected to follow orders if he wants to stay on the Supernova, and he doesn't want to go back 'out there', where he fears that the Crystal Corporation scientists are still waiting to delete him.

But it does help, when dealing with Fred, to avoid metaphor and just be literal. And very, very precise. And maybe to send someone along with Fred, in case he misunderstands something important at a critical moment. Fred will follow orders to the letter, which often results in violating the spirit of the order (never, ever tell him to "shoot the first person to make a noise").

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:16 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Been sick all day. Haven't had much time to think about my character. Will get to it next chance I get.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:54 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
<==Name==> :
Sebastian Valli

<==Calling==> :
Combat Engineer. Member of the Capella Self Defense Force. Builder and User of Drones.

<==History==> :
Sebastian was born on Onuava where his family owned a shop responsible for building and maintaining the various drones used by the people of the former planet. From the weather drones that monitor atmospheric fluctuations to the farming drones that help grow and maintain Onuava's crops, the Valli family built and serviced an impressive array of custom and commercial drones. In order to counteract the influence of Pirates lured by the growth of Capella's fledgling Industry, the Capella Self Defense Force was officially brought into being and a system-wide draft was initiated.

Drafted at the age of seventeen, Sebastian's knowledge of the Valli Family Trade awarded him a place in the Engineering Department Drone Bay Subsection where he helped to design, manufacture, and lead into combat the Military Drones the Capella System is famous for.

<==Personnel Knack==> :
Close Quarters Brawler. In his time spent as a member of the CSDF and the years since his departure, Sebastian has learned various techniques and grapples that enable him to fight more readily in close quarters. Whenever an enemy enters within melee range, Sebastian gains a bonus when fighting that particular target.

<==Corsair Knack==> :
Boarding Drones. During combat, Sebastian has the ability to punch a hole through the enemy galleon's hull (if his weapons are capable, otherwise he'll have to exploit preexisting damages) and send into it a small wave of combat drones. There, they will wreak havoc with the enemy ship's crew and subsystems.

<==Galleon Knack==> :
More Dakka. When manning one of the galleon's secondary armaments, Sebastian is capable of sustaining a much higher rate of fire than would normally be possible for other crew members. If the secondary armament being used is a missile launcher, this knack is temporarily renamed to "Macross Missile Massacre".

<==Flex Knack 1==> :
Personal Workshop. Sebastian has a small space set aside with all the tools and supplies he needs to design and build complements of drones. All he really needs is the appropriate materials. For that, he can spend credits to acquire what it is he needs.

<==Flex Knack 2==> :
Salvager. Like most citizens from the Capella system, Sebastian has a knack for salvaging. After any battle, given an appropriate amount of time, Sebastian can go out into the field and salvage for valuable parts and materials that can then be sold for additional credits or repaired and reused.

<==Flaw==> :
Strict follower of the Golden Tenet. Do unto others as they do unto you. If someone helps you out, you must help them back in an amount that is proportional to how they helped you. If someone spots you a small bit of credits at some point, you might want to buy them a beer down the line. If someone saves your life, you better make damn sure you're there when they need saving themselves.

Last edited by Kajin on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:56 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 pm 
===========================
THE CRUNCH (GAME SYSTEMS)

Alright, let's get in to the meat of the game, and the kind of things your knacks will be affecting. As I said, there are no stats, and therefore no complicated mathematics to muck things up. That isn't to say there isn't an element of chance, though, and so I would like to introduce the simple mechanic to tie it all together:

Skill Rolls
Skill rolls are a single roll of a d12, with modifiers. Every action has a series of five ranges to its success: Failure, Minor Success, Success, Major Success, and Critical Success. While the ranges may sometimes be modified by knacks and gear, the normal ranges are as follows:

Failure: 1-3 (Unmodified 1 is botch risk)
Minor Success: 4-6
Success: 7-9
Major Success: 10-12 (Unmodified 12 is critical threat)
Critical Success: 13+

Botch Risk: On an unmodified roll of 1, roll another d12; on 1-3, a botch occurs, where the task is instantly failed with no ability to use a boon to overturn the results. If the task is difficult, a penalty may be assigned. Regardless, a Botch will also result in the Player receiving a boon.
Critical Threat: On an unmodified roll of 12, roll another d12; on 7-12, a critical success occurs, and the roll is instantly set to 13.

While this skill ranking can be used for any task, let's look at something important: damage.

Damage
Damage is represented by four levels, as well as an additional value for wounds. All combat, be it Personnel, Corsair or Galleon, uses these damage rules. The damage levels are represented as:

CONDITION GREEN - All good, no damage
CONDITION YELLOW - Damaged; -1 penalty to all rolls
CONDITION ORANGE - Severely Damaged; -2 penalty to all rolls
CONDITION RED - Critically damaged; unable to act; any further hits to this target will kill or destroy it permanently.

In addition, Damage has minor wounds, caused by glancing hits; while wounds don't cause any immediate impact, they can add up, and so each wound gives a +1 modifier to any roll to hit a target. When in combat, the basic range effects are as follows:

Failure: Miss
Minor Success: Glancing Hit, +1 wound to target
Success: Hit, 1 Damage Level (i.e., green to yellow)
Major Success: Powerful Hit, 2 Damage Levels (i.e., green to orange)
Critical Success: Critical Hit, 3 Damage Levels (i.e., instant red)

There are intricacies to combat that I'll get in to when the game gets to it, but there's one thing I need to discuss before I tackle gear: Bonuses.

Bonuses

Simply put, bonuses are situational modifiers applied to skill rolls. They can come from having some kind of situational advantage for the task at hand (granted by calling, history, or knacks) or, in the case of combat, having a weapon advantage. There are three types of weapon: Light, Heavy, and Melee/Point Blank. They interact in a rock-paper-scissors fashion.

Heavy weapons are large ranged weapons; they can be slow and unwieldy, but their sheer firepower trumps Light weapon users.
Light weapons are small ranged weapons; they aren't as powerful as heavy weapons, but they have a good enough rate of fire to trump Melee weapon users.
Melee/Point Blank weapons are, naturally, close range weapons; they require the user to be close to attack, which gives them an advantage against Heavy weapon users.

If your weapon has the advantage, you get a +1 bonus. If your weapon has a disadvantage, you get a -1 penalty.

In addition to Weapon Types, there are also Damage Types, which come in to play when dealing with armor. There are also three types of damage: Kinetic, Energy, and Explosive/Concussive.

Kinetic damage is any damage type that comes from direct contact with physical objects; this includes blades and bullets.
Energy damage is any damage that comes from energy transfer, such as radiation, beams, electricity, and so on.
Explosive/Concussive is any damage that comes from indirect physical damage or blunt force, such as grenades, missiles and bludgeoning objects.

Finally, I want to cover some distinctions between the three types of combat, just to give an overview of what differences there are between combat.

In personnel combat, damage level pertains to characters on the whole. Characters have five gear slots, one for a weapon, one for armor, one for tools, and two "flex" slots that can be used for additional weapons or tools. Weapons that are two handed don't take two gear slots, but only one handed weapons can be used in tandem. Boons may be used to completely heal the character back to condition green.

In corsair combat, there are a few distinctions over personnel combat. First, instead of gear slots, there is a base frame and Equipment Slots on that frame. The base frame and each equipment slot have their own damage levels; destroying an equipment slot disables that equipment, while destroying the frame itself destroys the Corsair. The base frame is destroyed by destroying the Chest equipment slot; the Chest equipment slot has a -1 penalty to hit for each other equipment slot in yellow or better condition. Secondly, positioning matters more in Corsair combat, and so each frame type has a Speed rating. The range between two Corsairs is measured by a number between 1 and 12; 1 is Point Blank and 12 is Ultra Long Range. The speed of a Corsair can be used to move either towards or away from the target at up to the given speed rate. Boons may be used to emergency escape from combat; an emergency escape removes you from combat for one round, and repairs all damage levels on all equipment slots.

Finally, I don't have all the concepts ironed out for Galleon combat yet, but it is similar to Corsair combat in terms of Ships having various Banks for armaments and support. The number of Banks vary, but a basic Galleon has six banks; a Forward Bank, where the Main Guns are mounted, an Aft Bank, where the Main Engines are connected, and four side banks, with two on Port and two on Starboard, for using secondary armaments and engines. Positioning and orientation matters in Galleon Combat. Banks take damage, and if multiple banks are destroyed the Ship's power core is exposed. Destroying the Ship's power core destroys the ship. A boon may be used to shut down a Bank, leaving it unable to be used for two rounds, but fully repairs its damage level in that time. Anyone on a ship may use a boon for this purpose.

Phew, I think that's everything for now for the game systems, but if there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Now, let's talk about gear... in the next post.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:52 pm 
GEAR AND EQUIPMENT

<Personnel Gear>

Personnel Gear is what you will be buying to start with. You will have 300 Credits to start with for use in purchasing personnel gear. This is not the only personnel gear available, they are just examples. If you have a gear proposal, let me know, and I'll assign a credit cost to them.

<Personnel Weapons>

Standard Issue Pistol - Light Kinetic weapon, no bonuses to attack, Standard Damage Range, One handed, Cost: 0

Standard Issue Combat Knife - Melee Kinetic weapon, no bonuses to attack, Standard Damage Range, One Handed, Cost: 0

SMG - Light Kinetic weapon, +1 against melee weapons users, Standard Damage Range, One Handed, Cost: 60

Explosive Rounds - Light Explosive ammo for standard issue pistol, +1 against melee weapons users, Standard damage range, One Handed Cost, 60

Blaster - Light Energy weapon, +1 against melee weapons users, Standard Damage range, One Handed, Cost: 60

Large Rifle - Heavy Kinetic Weapon, +1 against light weapons users, +1 Damage range, Two handed, Cost: 80

Grenade Launcher - Heavy Explosive Weapon, +1 against light weapons users, Standard Damage range, AOE (nearby enemies hit with -1 Damage range), Two Handed, Cost: 80

Laser Rifle - Heavy Energy Weapon, +1 against light weapons users, +1 Damage range, Two Handed, Cost: 80

Sabre - Melee Kinetic weapon, +1 against heavy weapons users, Standard Damage range, One Handed, Cost: 60

Bludgeon (Mace, Club, etc) - Melee Concussive weapon, +1 against heavy weapons users, Standard Damage range, One Handed, Cost: 60

Beam Sword - Melee Energy weapon, +1 against heavy weapons users, Standard Damage range, One Handed, Cost: 60

Custom Feature - Take one of the above as a template and add a unique feature for an extra trait, cost doubles for each additional feature

1st Custom Feature - Cost: 10
2nd Custom Feature - Cost: 20
3rd Custom Feature - Cost: 40
4th Custom Feature - Cost: 80
5th Custom Feature - Cost: 160

<Personnel Armor>

Fiber Weave Armor - Attack rolls using Kinetic damage have a -2 to hit, Attack rolls using Energy damage have a -1 to hit, Cost: 100

Weak Force Field Armor - Attack rolls using Explosive/Concussive damage have a -2 to hit, Attack rolls using Kinetic damage have a -1 to hit, Cost: 100

Ceramic Armor - Attack rolls using Energy damage have a -2 to hit, Attack rolls using Explosive/Concussive damage have a -1 to hit, Cost: 100

Titanium Armor - All attack rolls get -1, more expensive, Cost: 150

<Personnel Tools>

First Aid Kit - 3 Uses Per Battle, Heals one damage level, Cost: 10

Metal Shield - Adds an additional -1 protection bonus against Kinetic, can only be used with a one handed weapon, Cost: 50

Blast Shield - Adds an additional -1 protection bonus against Explosive/Concussive, can only be used with a one handed weapon, Cost: 50

Refractive Shield - Adds an additional -1 protection bonus against Energy, can only be used with a one handed weapon, Cost: 50

Grenade - Light Explosive weapon, +1 against melee weapons users, -1 to Standard Damage Range, AOE effect, One Handed, 3 uses per battle, Cost: 30

Build-Your-Own; Cost depends on the item, range 10-50

Corsair/Aile Gear

Corsairs are the catch-all term for Human mechs. Shatti have their own mechs, sleek-framed power armor suits with wings, which are called Ailes. All together they fall under Corsair combat. I'm still working out the costs for basic gear, but I have what I feel is a decent baseline for frame costs and will work out gear costs shortly. At the beginning of the game, you will have standard issue mechs, so I'm not going to be giving Corsair Credits just yet. Let me know what kind of frame you see your character using at the start of the game, and customization will come later. As with gear, these are basic suggestions

<Frames>

Light - Move 4, 3 Fixed Slots (Left Arm, Right Arm, Head), 2 Flex Slots (Back OR Legs OR Shoulders OR Body), Has evasive rockets that provide a dodge penalty to attack rolls against this frame

Medium - Move 3, 3 Fixed Slots (Left Arm, Right Arm, Head), 3 Flex Slots (Back OR Legs OR Shoulders OR Body), Has special crumple zones that offset the damage range of attack rolls against this frame

Heavy - Move 2, All Slots available (Left Arm, Right Arm, Head, Back, Legs, Shoulders, Body), wields two handed weapons with one hand and is only mech that can use Superheavy Anti-Ship weapons

Aile - Move 4, Dash (1.5 times movement rate, rounded down, cannot attack in the same turn unless using a melee weapon), 4 fixed slots (Left Arm, Right Arm, Head/Body, Wings), 1 Flex slots (goes anywhere), Cannot use Heavy weapons, Only usable by Shatti by default (must be custom built for humans at a premium)

<Corsair/Aile Weapons>

Corsair Coilgun - Light Kinetic Weapon, Attack Range : 1-4, Left Arm/Right Arm Mount, Standard Damage range, +1 against melee weapons users

Corsair Energy Pistol - Light Energy Weapon, Attack Range : 1-4, Left Arm/Right Arm Mount, Standard Damage Range, +1 against melee weapons users

Corsair Light Missile Array - Light Explosive Weapon, Attack Range : 1-3, AOE effect, Shoulder Mount, -1 to standard damage range, +1 against melee weapons users

Corsair Vibroblade - Melee Kinetic Weapon, Attack Range: 1, Left Arm/Right Arm Mount, Standard Damage Range, +1 against heavy weapons users

Corsair Beamsabre - Melee Energy Weapon, Attack Range: 1, Left Arm/Right Arm Mount, Standard Damage Range, +1 against heavy weapons users

Corsair Hammer Fist - Melee Concussive Weapon, Attack Range: 1, Left Arm/Right Arm Mount, Standard Damage Range, +1 against heavy weapons users

Corsair Gauss Rifle - Heavy Kinetic Weapon, Attack Range: 2-6, Left Arm+Right arm mount (Left Arm/Right Arm mount for Heavy Frames), +1 against Light Weapons users, +1 Damage Range, Cannot be used by Ailes

Corsair Laser Rifle - Heavy Energy Weapon, Attack Range: 2-6, Left Arm+Right arm mount (Left Arm/Right Arm mount for Heavy Frames), +1 against Light Weapons users, +1 Damage Range, Cannot be used by Ailes

Corsair Heavy Missle Artillery - Heavy Explosive Weapon, Attack range: 2-6, Left Arm/Right arm + shoulder mount (Shoulder mount for heavy frames), +1 against Light Weapons users, Standard Damage Range, Cannot be used by Ailes

<Corsair/Aile Armor>

Crumple Buffering Armor - Body Mount, Attack rolls using Kinetic damage have a -2 to hit, Attack rolls using Energy damage have a -1 to hit

Shock Protective Armor - Body Mount, Attack rolls using Explosive/Concussive damage have a -2 to hit, Attack rolls using Kinetic damage have a -1 to hit

Deflection Shield Armor - Body Mount, Attack rolls using Energy damage have a -2 to hit, Attack rolls using Explosive/Concussive damage have a -1 to hit

Titanium Reinforced Chest Armor - Body Mount, All attack rolls get -1, more expensive

<Extensions>

Field Maintenance Unit - Restores one damage level to one area/use, Back Mount

Steel Shield - Adds an additional -1 protection bonus against Kinetic, Left Arm/Right Arm Mount

Force Shield - Adds an additional -1 protection bonus against Explosive/Concussive, Left Arm/Right Arm Mount

Refractive Shield - Adds an additional -1 protection bonus against Energy, Left Arm/Right Arm Mount

Radar Unit - Can lock on to target(s) as a standard action, granting +1 to hit towards that target, Head Mount

Booster Unit - +1 Move, Leg Mount

Build Your Own - As with Personnel gear, you can suggest your own ideas for extensions.

Alright, that's everything I can think of. Let me know what kind of gear ideas you might have and please feel free to offer and critiques you can think of; I consider this a game system an experiment, and would love feedback. Thanks, and happy creation!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:59 am 
Seeing the Corsairs, I'd like to change Fred's Corsair Knack; to "No Body Inside" (since he's about 80kg lighter than any other Corsair, he gets +1 to Move)

As for personal gear, I think I'll go for a Blaster, a Beam Sword (mainly used for cutting through things instead of fighting), an Intrusion Kit (all the cables and connectors he needs to take over an enemy computer system, not sure how much that will cost), and a Self-Repair Module (a robotic equivalent of a first-aid kit). If there's enough credits left, maybe a weak force-field module as well.

Hmmm... Fred could use an Aile just as well as a Corsair (either would need to be custom-modified by adding extra internal computer systems for him, presumably that would come at a premium). I think I'll pick the Aile, then.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:18 am 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Im very tired and have a long week ahead of me, so I'll be building Rocs slowly starting with part 1 tonight. I'm doing a basic summary for now, and I will flesh him out given a bit more time and talk with Himi.

<==Name==> : Rocs

<==Calling==> : Shatti Doctor and Fencer.

<==History==> : Rocs is a Shatti, and if that doesn't make people uncomfortable enough until they get to know him, he's also the ships Doctor. He's studied human anatomy for quite some time and feels he has enough knowledge to start practice on real humans and perfect his art. Rocs is also a perfectionist both on and off the battlefield, making him an amazingly disciplined Fencer.

<==Personnel Knack==> : Do No Harm - Rocs is an incredible fighter, a surgeon both with his scalpel and his rapier. When in battle Rocs will always fight to disable, never to kill - this knack allows him great accuracy with his blade with low-damage results as a cost. When out of battle, he is always the epitome of precision both as a Doctor and as a Shatti.

<==Corsair Knack==> : Turn The Path - Due to his Flaw, Rocs has no ranged weaponry outfitted on his Aile. So when he's engaged in Ranged Combat he requires a way to survive an onslaught until he can close to gap close combat. Turn The Path is the perfect fusion of form and function, hooking Rocs into his Aile via his vestigial wing-bones and allowing his reaction time to be greatly boosted by his Aile's targeting systems. This allows him to dodge, parry, deflect, and even turn back ranged attacks with startling accuracy and the least amount of energy applied.

<==Galleon Knack==> : Black Void Sonata - True to Shatti beliefs, everything that exists will dance together at one time or another. Space combat is just another dance, between two or more ships, that takes place in the void of space. Rocs can calmly observe a battle taking place via a view-screen, video display or even a 3-D representational map of the area and ships. Within moments his feet will begin to tap as he tunes into the silent rhythm of battle, allowing him to predict what foes will do next, where the best place for his ship to move is, and relay tactical information to the crew that borderlines on precognition.

<==Flex Knack 1==> : Something From Nothing - There will be times where Rocs' supplies run out or are lost in a dire situation. Rocs comes very prepared for such occasions with a ton of knowledge about survival in the Seven Squalls Sector. He can identify plant-life at a glance, make tourniquets out of clothing and wood, seal wounds with fire and basically use whatever may be around him as makeshift medical supplies safely.

<==Flex Knack 2==> : Clear Calm Mind - Rocs is a perfectionist, therefore he keeps complete control over his emotions at all times. This may make for awkward situations when at ease, as he takes everything said at face value and doesn't understand human humor. Regardless, his constant clear head makes it extremely hard for him to be intimidated, scared, threatened or anything less than total calm at all times... unless his Flaw goes off.

<==Flaw==> : Shattered Shatti Sight - Rocs is perfect in almost every way, or at least he feels that way personally. But there is one thing that will unnerve him and shatter the calm veneer that he always maintains: Guns. He can handle it alright if they are used around him, or even against him, as he understands people must get by and he's more than capable of protecting himself... but if one ever touches his body, it sets off a deeply seated phobia of firearms. Rocs loses all sense of calm, all trace of his normal contained mentality and the longer he's in contact with the gun (be it him having to hold it, use it, or have it held against him) the worse off he becomes. It takes Rocs quite a while to recover from this phobia when it's set off... nobody has ever learned why he's so deathly afraid of them either and he refuses to speak on the matter.

Alright John and everyone else, how does that look for a start? I'll be more than willing to edit and change things as I build the rest of him - but for now, what do you all think?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I like the whole The Ace vibe you've got going. With that flaw you have, it looks like it may very well cross over into Broken Ace territory, depending on the type of characterization you're aiming for.

Alright! The gear I'm buying...

Weapon Slot: (50 Credits)
Sabre

"Flex" Weapon: (60 Credits)
Blaster

Tool Slot: (50 Credits)
Neural Network Interface

"Flex" Tool: (50 Credits)
Metal Shield

Drone Slots: (80 Credits)
Four Basic Ranged Attack Drones

Total Credit Expenditure:
300 Credits

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:54 am 
<==Name==> : Jomo Joash Jozabad

<==Calling==> : Grenadier/Management

<==History==> : Jomo’s family history is complicated, and full of some fairly bizarre things. HE doesn’t even believe all of it, and prefers to focus on the present. Or at least, anything related to him in particular. Jomo was raised in the Juno System, to a family that involved itself heavily in the exporting of Pulsar. Jomo’s father, Jordan, was a man very invested in his son’s future, a stable life where he would inherit the family business of selling and transporting Pulsar to the outside planets that need them, for a small profit, and a comfortable living. In order to get his son to see the benefits of the safer lifestyle, he took young Jomo to a Pulsar mine in order to see what a harsh and hard lifestyle would lay ahead if he didn’t take care of his studies and didn’t attempt to become a class A businessman. What Jordan didn’t account for was that this was the day they attempted blast mining, and young little Jomo was very, VERY interested in things that go BOOM.

Despite all attempts to return to the glorious land of debris and brimstone, Jomo was forced into learning the family trade by his father, only finding ways to participate in the explosive mining efforts through some thorough sneaking about and some interesting uses of “The Truth.” He had a knack for the process, and figured out the compounds and chemicals that made his favorite thing in the universe with relative ease, though unable to produce anything of great caliber. Eventually, he “settled” for the exporting jobs his father found for him, using them as opportunities to find new explosives, or, on more than one occasion, just blowing things up on “uninhabited” planets and planetoids. This caused a problem when a shipment was sent to the Werran System, and as a result, Jomo isn’t officially allowed back in, and he takes out petty vengeance on any member of the Legion, past or present, when possible.

One thing became very clear to Jomo though. He was bored as hell. He actually welcomed the attack by the Burning Star Pirates (after an altercation involving homemade explosives of about two megatons of TNT power) and after the inevitable surrender and plundering of the cargo, asked if he could join. His initial response to their answer of “No” was a petulant yell, and the revelation that he had rigged his ship to explode with the press of a button due to having literally nothing else to do while the original crew was loading the cargo. They called the bluff, but then the ship rocked, and bits of Cargo Bay C began to float past the screen. At this point, Jomo smiled and showed off his key ring full of detonators. It was with great reluctance that Jomo was brought aboard.

While it isn’t fair to say that Jomo has been an invaluable member of the crew, he has at least attempted to earn his place in the group. And despite his vehemence about the amount of nitroglycerine that should be kept on his person at all times, he is a very shrewd businessman, and can cut deals like few others when the pirates need to purchase something, or manage money in general. In addition, his knowledge of explosives has been helpful in dealing with the more thickly plated ships and safes. And at the very, very least, he can be counted on to take out huge swaths of people in combat. The crew just has to pray that the huge swaths consist more of the other side than them.

<==Personnel Knack==> : Comfortably Numb – Jomo has a very peculiar method of fighting people. Namely, he tends to go for blowing people up. At close range. While Jomo has had more than enough experience with explosives blowing up in his face, most other people haven’t. If they have, well, the first reaction isn’t typically to expect someone to try and hug them with a grenade belt. Jomo still feels the effects of the explosions, and doesn’t always attempt close range blasting, but he’s much better at reducing the damage received by explosives than most people, and has numbed himself to the vast majority of the problems associated with his particular fighting style.

<==Corsair Knack==> : Cluster One – (Not sure what to do with it yet, but it’s a badass name)

<==Galleon Knack==> : Wearing the Inside Out – Jomo doesn’t know how to fly, create, manage, or pilot any kind of ship. What he has learned is exactly what kind of explosives will make certain ships blow up in certain ways. He can gauge the thickness of the hull, the location of prime structural points, and all of the other fun things that keep a ship running, and what type of bomb or power can split it like a melon. If properly motivated, he can literally turn a ship inside out. This makes him very good when something needs to be opened, or when the goal isn’t loot based. If something stealthy needs to be done, or more precision jobs required, he probably isn’t the guy to go to.

<==Flex Knack 1==> : Money – Surprisingly enough, Jomo is a very competent businessman, and can usually cut prices in purchases, and boost prices in sales in a way that maximizes profits for the crew. It isn’t always perfect, as some people get scared off by the psycho bomb freak, but others turn the fear into opportunity, or underestimate his sense of business decorum, and lose money in the process.

<==Flex Knack 2==> : One Slip – Jomo likes bombs and explosives, and as a result, he has put serious hours of study into what makes bombs tick, while improving his precision. He’s not the brightest or the most subtle person in the crew, but when it comes to ways to make bombs, the precise amount and kind of chemicals or base elements needed to perfect an explosion, or most knowledge in general about chemistry, he can answer the question in no time at all. He doesn’t know everything, but if he’s familiar with any of the basic concepts, he can most likely figure out what he does not yet understand. And thanks to the fact that a single errant twitch would kill him if he wasn’t careful when making his explosives, he is very exact when it comes to measurements, force, and explosives.

<==Flaw==> : Run Like Hell – Jomo is a stupidly overconfident fighter, especially for someone who regularly blows himself up. However, he has one serious problem when it comes to fighting, other than the significant damage he takes and the possibility of hurting any nearby allies. When Jomo fights, he tries to blow his opponent up. When that doesn’t work, he tries to beat them up with his fists. When that doesn’t work, he backs away and shoots them. If none of those things work, or appear not to work, then Jomo does not stick around for the rest of the fight. The instant that it seems like things aren’t going to go well for him, Jomo follows his family’s oldest trick, and runs away. He usually comes back, with a new idea on how to beat his opponent, but the ditching isn’t always beneficial to anyone nearby.

Weapon Slot: Standard Issue Pistol (0 Credits) Explosive Ammunition (60 Credits)
Armor Slot: Weak Force Field Armor (100 Credits)
Tool Slot: Blast Shield (50 Credits)
Tool Slot: Grenades (30 Credits)
Weapon Slot: Bludgeon (Model 24 Stielhandgranate Hand Grenade) (60 Credits)

How does all this sound? I'm not 100% certain about the Knacks and Flaws, but it's a start.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:04 pm 
Characters are looking pretty good so far.

I'm going to be heading out on another trip this Friday evening (thanksgiving yay!) and will be back the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I'll give you all that much time to get me characters in their final form before I start. I will be periodically writing up some important character mini-bios to help flesh out the universe a little. We'll be starting on November 25th.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:17 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
<==Name==> : Jonas Kait

<==Calling==> : Runaway Space Kid/Pilot/Speed Demon

<==History==> : Kait's father was a head engineer in the Kaina shipyard station of Midas. The station is run by the same named Midas corporation. The station sits at a deep space stationary gravity point, a deep habitat that sits far from any planetfall. Because of this, Jonas never set foot on a planet throughout his childhood. He became adept at travelling in microgravity, and was being set up to take a job in the company as well. His father often sat in on long term test trips, and more than once the young boy came with.

However, Kait was impatient. He had no interest in learning the ins and outs of design and building. He loved the ships themselves, but not what his role for them would be. And so, at the age of 14 he slipped away, stowing away in the hold of a newly sold ship. He ended up on an asteroid port in the Moirai system. He slowly acclimated to the new environment while taking small jobs such as cleaning hangers and assisting with menial tasks. Soon after he took up joy riding.

And it was here that he got caught. He swiped a shuttle off a large galleon and was brought in for it. The captain was a tough sort, and press ganged the kid for it. The next 3 years were spent on this semi legal ship, that mixed standard work with more questionable sorts. Though he managed to work his way up from cabin boy to a secondary navigator and backup pilot, he wasn;t happy with it. So when the ship officers were picked up by system cops for breaking several laws, he faded away.

Now, with his shallow but clearly skilled history on ships, he looks for new work. only just barely 20, thin and lanky, pale with buzzed brown hair, Jonas doesn't cut an impressive figure, but the smooth and quick way he works on panels belies the skill he has taught himself throughout his life.

<==Personnel Knack==> : Steamlight Speed: Reflexes honed through fast travel, fast flight have give him an excellent reaction time. HE can draw his light gun and fire at a moment's notice, even using sleight of hand to make it seems faster by not revealing till the last moment

<==Corsair Knack==> : Redline Runner: Knows a lot about controlling systems, particularly in a fast Corsair. He is practiced at running the machine at just below the threshold of damaging performance. Therefore, he can squeeze out that fraction of extra speed, extra movement, from his suit, allowing for generally swifter operation.

<==Galleon Knack==> Machinehead: Has a light touch with sensor systems, and is very good at using the active systems to mess with other sensory systems, making ghost images, white noise, even blasting the system with an overload to do damage if the situation is right.

<==Flex Knack 1==> : Killah Beats: Long skill with space travel has given him a well practiced, almost instinctual, sense of how objects move through air and space. He can use these ballistic calculations to adjust his aim and pull off unusual shots in any situation.

<==Flex Knack 2==> : Transportation Amassed 20000: A long history, both in his childhood living in the Midas Shipyards in Kaina, and serving on many ships, has given him a massive and extensive knowledge of ships. For any given model he is likely to know something of value, whther its a weakness, a top speed, a sensor range, or something else

<==Flaw==> : Little Deyzuna: His childhood on a very low G environment with frequent zero gravity conditions left Kait underdeveloped. It took 2 years of slow acclimation to bring him even close to a normal build. Because of this, although now functional, his muscle mass is surprisingly light and his stamina at physical work is low, especially anything involving lifting.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 pm 
Hello, long time no see peoples. Ended up browsing a few of my old haunts, and decided I wanted to throw my hat into the ring for this shindig if there's still room for me. Sci-fi rp with mech and ships? Yes please. All of my yes. In any case, my character submission:

Note: I took some liberties with the CCC corporation, since it wasn't fully fleshed out in the system information thread. I've placed its headquarters on Pandemonium in the Moirai system, since the actual CCC system is far too small and lifeless to play host to a large corporation. Since the forum poster CCC actually came up with the idea though, let me know if I'm stepping on your toes, okay?

<==Name==> - Zachary Wilde

<==Calling==> - Fixer; Zach arranges business deals and establishes legitimacy with legally operating institutions that their profession would normally exclude them from making contact with when a robbery isn't involved.

<==History==> - Being a potential heir to one of the largest corporations in the sector certainly has its benefits. An overabundance of wealth combined with the complete absence of responsibility or restriction has created a iniquitous environment for the privileged youth growing up in the shadow of the Crystal Computer Corporation. Mostly ignored by their parents, whose high profile and time consuming jobs often keep them away from the household for days, weeks or even months at a time, the lives of Zach and his contemporaries were hallmarked with indolence and debauchery. So long as he kept a respectable appearance in his classes, and his grades didn't slip, nothing was barred from him.

In every young socialite, however, there always comes a breaking point. For Zach, it came with the fall of a dynasty. The Board of Director's of the CCC are a tight knit group, proffering up CEOs as necessary to act as scapegoats when their own decisions reflect negatively on the company. A member of the same seven families has served as a member on the board since the company went public generations ago, and were the driving force behind the CCC's growing economic and political power. All that changed the day Daniel McCorrin, esteemed member of the board, cut a side deal with CCC's largest competitor and tried to steal billions from the company. Betrayed by one of their own, the other families engaged in a political and legislative war that saw the McCorrins thrown from power, their investments ruined and deeper in debt than they could ever hope to pay off.

Almost overnight, it was as if the McCorrins never were. They disappeared from the ranks of high society, Zach's friend Terry McCorrin with them. Friends since childhood, the two had been almost inseparable. A bit timid, Terry had always relied on Zach to pull him out to parties and events, while Terry in turn kept Zach from going too far and burning out like so many others. Then one day he was gone, and all their mutual friends went on as if nothing was wrong. The McCorrin name was avoided like some sort of curse, as if acknowledging it would somehow make the other families guilty by association, and Zach's own relatives stymied all his attempts to find out what had become of his old friend.

Suddenly, the drugs and women became more of an escape than a joy. Zach threw himself into his so-called extracurriculars with renewed gusto, haunted by the knowledge that in the world he lived he amounted to little more than a family name and a bank account. Every night a new party, every morning a new bed, couch, floor or gutter to awake from. He knew he was burning out but he couldn't stop, couldn't find an alternative and didn't know any other way to live. This life was the only one he'd ever known and now he knew without a doubt that it was entirely meaningless. Finally his family grew worried, and during one of their rare visits home his father arranged to have him sent away from their home on Pandemonium to “inspect” the mining facility in the CCC system. It was little more than an excuse to remove him from his environment before he finally managed to kill himself, and Zach knew it but relented anyway. And that was when his life took a turn.

Zach's galleon never made it to its destination. Assaulted by pirates in the remote CCC system. The company cargo vessel's defenses were quickly overrun and its security forces detained, but Rojo Barrett got more than he bargained for in this haul. A quick scan of the passenger list betrayed Zach's identity, and when the galleon was let free sans its cargo, he did not go with it. Shackled and thrown in the Supernova's brig, he was held for ransom, left to idle as they waited for his family's decision.

Time passed too slowly in the small confines of his cell, and with his stash confiscated along with his other belongings, withdrawal hit Zach like sack of bricks. Left with nothing but his thoughts of his downward spiral of a life back home, and how little it would mean if he never made it back, Zach came to cherish the occasional visits of the pirate doctor who saw his affliction. He spoke with the man often, speaking of his friends and family and where their lives had led them. Soon enough he'd got his guards talking too, and then others, bit by bit realizing exactly what it was his life back home had been missing. Numbly walking through ritual and routine, the social circles he'd lived in had been a barren desert of empathy. The adults smiled behind their ties, the other teenagers laughed and drank at his side, but there was a numbness to it all that mocked his own sincerity. Life on Pandemoinum had been little more than a facade at kinship, and with his only tie there having been cut away to parts unknown, Zach made a decision.

His health finally recovering with his renewed spirit, Zach proudly walked himself to the Supernova's bridge as discussions with his family began. Seating him in his chair and using Zach as his voice, Rojo passed demands and retorts to the boy to read across the comm channel, arguing out a price for the exchange. Zach's family wanted him home, and badly, but didn't want to appear weak for giving too much to a gang of brigands . . . and unlike Rojo, Zach knew exactly where they were coming from and where they were weakest.

So as the negotiations seemed to near their end, he stopped reading the cards. Taking over the negotiation with his own words, pretending to still represent the captain, Zach got Rojo to quell his anger long enough to talk his family into double the asking price, and agreeing to finalize the deal in a part of the system he knew they didn't have any security forces hiding. Their initial meeting point, he'd had to explain to the captain, was an obvious trap far too close to one of their company's hidden security posts. Rojo demanded to know why he'd stick his neck out for the pirate crew who'd captured him in the first place, and Zach had just smiled and leaned back, spreading out in the captain's chair they'd had him speaking from as if it were the most natural thing in the world. “I was buying my position on your ship, of course.”

They threw him back in the brig, of course. But they did come around eventually.

<=Personnel Knack=> - Dirty Fighter – Being a socialite isn't always as posh as its made out to be, and Zach learned quickly to hit back and to hit back hard. He's always looking to turn the situation to his advantage, and excels at using the environment against his enemies. Examples include firing energy weapons as explosives on their person, trying to bring down the ceiling or create a hull breach on a ship, or simply leading them into an indefensible position.

<=Corsair Knack=> - Only the Best – What Zach lacks in piloting skill he makes up for with hardware. He uses his family's influence to ensure he has top of the line computer systems and armaments on his corsair, on par with what even the SDA is packing.

<=Galleon Knack=> - Gunnery Master – As a kid, Zach used to love going out with the company ships on routine cruises through the sector. He used to round up the ship's security forces and browbeat them into giving him access to the ship's weapons. What's more, he used to enjoy running them through drills, targeting passing asteroids and other useless debris in the CCC system for fun. He got pretty good at it, and his skills at directing multiple gunners in a firing volley proves especially useful at shooting down incoming corsairs by limiting the space they can dodge into.

<=Flex Knacks 1=> - Scion to Power – Although now a member of a pirate crew, Zach still has full access to the political and economic power his name brings, and has some skill at negotiation to use this to maximum effect. He uses his name to give the Supernova an air of legitimacy when they need to lie low, and arrange new, top of the line supplies for the ship direct from distributors instead of via the disreputable black market.

<=Flex Knacks 2=> - Cover-Up – The Wilde family is doing everything it can to suppress information of Zach's presence on board a pirate vessel, and that fact provides the crew with several advantages. As suppressing information about Zach occasionally means suppressing information about the Supernova itself as well, Zachary is able to deflect the long term effects of some of the crew's higher profile actions by keeping news of it from spreading.

<==Flaw==> - Recovering Addict – Zach's snubbed the habit, but just because he's not using now doesn't mean everything is as simple as it seems. While alcohol isn't much of a problem for him, he often struggles with the urge to go back to a night of blissful awareness whenever the galleon stops in a major city. Heroin is his drug of choice, and he is heavily reliant on prescriptions of methadone for his continued recovery.

(On that note, are drugs illegal in this sector? Being a very different set of societies have been created here, there is a chance that heroin and other hard drugs could have become a corporate industry)

<==Equipment==> - Titanium Armor, Laser Rifle, Beam Sword(custom – attached as bayonet to laser rifle). Heavy frame for Corsair.

I'm also unsure on the traits, so if anything's too vague just let me know. Other than that, I figure this background should create an interesting dynamic with Fred, since it places ties back to CCC within the ship's own operations. Since Zach's backstory also involved a doctor treating him through his withdrawal, Bunbun is welcome to either declare that Rocs was the only that helped him integrate with the crew or defer that duty to some random NPC doctor also aboard the ship.

Anyway, thoughts? Opinions?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:11 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Don't know much about Captain Rojo, but from Himi's descriptions of him thus far he seems a jovial sort who'd probably get a good laugh out of you ransoming yourself. I'm probably wrong, though.

Hi, I'm Kajin! Always a pleasure to meet one of the older forum goers.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG