Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post subject: New Amsterdam: Timeskip
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:00 am 
It has been some time since the Hawaii incident, in which Lawhinie tragically lost her life. The Rodent Rangers have solved several cases, and saved the city from certain doom on no less than three seperate occasions. As regular as clockwork, every six months, Professor Norton Nimnul turns up with some misapplication of mad science that would probably give him millions in royalties if properly marketed; and then he proceeds to use it to try to rob banks, or commit similarly petty crimes. Exactly why he does this is a mystery, but there you have it. (The other mystery is why he never seems to stay in jail).

It's been almost six months to the day since Nimnul last terrorised the city, and electronic parts have been delivered to his lab over the past three weeks. It's probably time to see what he's up to, and nip his new project in the bud.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 am 
Buck crosses another day off of the calander, frowns, and takes a quick count. He then reaches for his jetpack and laser.

"Hey guys, It's that time of year again. Lets go see what the professor is up to this time."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:40 am 
The Professor's last known hideout is a warehouse on the northern end of the city. It has three entrances - the front door, which is closed and too heavy for a rodent to move; the window on the side, which is open; and through the ventilation ducts.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:42 am 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
"Can we go through the ducts again? The laser grid was really fun to jump through."

Kip had raised his hat enough to get a good look at the place before settling it back down over his face. While all night karaoke was fun, you sure payed for it in the morning.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:35 am 
Inside the warehouse is the Professor.

The warehouse itself is basically a long, rectanguar room, three times as long as it is wide; the air duct leads to a small ventialtion shaft two-thirds of the way along one of the long walls. (Over the last several cases, they've put in a few little bits of wood and string, to help them through the steeper parts. The Professor doesn't appear to have found these yet. The duct cover is also hinged and on a small latch, the better to allow the Rangers entrance to the room.)

Inside the warehouse... most of the space is taken up by a mess of wires, wires snaking across the floor, wires looping around in great loops, wires knotted and tangled over the floor, an obstacle course that would trip up anyone trying to run along the floor. The wires connect three major pieces of equipment.

The first of these is a tall glass (or perspex) cylinder, on the far end of the room. Strange glowing gasses mix and swirl within it, and a few dials and switches rest on the sides. It resembles nothing more than the warp core of a Star Trek spaceship. The cables that connect to it are as thick as a human's arm - high-voltage, high-current, high-power cables. Whether or not the Professor has actually managed to replicate Star Trek's antimatter energy technology, it's clear that this device is a power source of some kind.

On the opposite end of the room, there's a large console. Dozens - hundreds - of dials and switches adorn its face. In front of this console, the Professor hops from foot to foot, cackling and ranting as he flicks switches and peers at dials. The words "Second Chance" are painted across the top of this console in large, black letters.

And inbetween the two, there is a chamber. For some reason, it's designed to look like a 1980's-era police call box - apparently the Professor like his science fiction. The door is open; the thick cabling from the power source enters at one end and the thinner cabling from the giant control panel enters at the other. Unlike the original, the inside of this box appears precisely the same size as the outside (minus the thickness of the walls).

"The fools!" the Professor says, inspecting a dial and cackling slightly. "They called me mad! MAD! Me, MAD! But I'm not mad!" He flicks a dozen switches and incdulges in another cackle. "Not even slightly angry! No, I... am... TRIUMPHANT!" He spreads out his arms, throws his head back, and laughs maniacally for a few moments. "Now that I have completed the Second Chance, no-one will be able to stand against me! If they do, I can have them killed as a baby! I will move through time itself, changing the world to my liking, and I will rule over everything! I will have the greatest treasures of history, archealogical relics of untold worth, and I will have them brand new!!! I will take technology from the future and claim it for myself! And the very course of history itself will be guided by the hand of NORTON NIMNUL!!!! Bwa-hahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!"

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:07 am 
Buck looks over the mess of equipment with a sinking feeling. This looks serious.

"Kip, I think this is it. The Big One. The Time Machine."

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:16 am 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Kip whistles softly.

"If he wasn't evil, he'd be pretty awesome."

He points at the warp core.

"That thing looks so cool."

His expression growing serious, Kip takes a deep breath.

"Well. I don't know how paradox works, despite you lecturing on it, and lecturing on it, and lecturing on it . . ."

He breaks off, shaking his head.

"But should we jump through and go back to stop him from building this?"

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:23 pm 
"Only if we can't stop him now. I don't fully understand the time paradox problem myself, and that's the problem; we don't know what will happen if we go back in time."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:28 am 
There are hundreds of switches, levers and dials on the control panel, all unlabelled. While it might be possible - indeed, must be possible - to work out how to set them correctly, given time, it'll probably take weeks, or months, of experimentation.

The Professor looks over his control panel again. "Hmmm." he murmurs. "Let's see. Do I have everything?" He starts fishing through his pockets, pulling things out one by one, and returning them to his pockets. "Calculator. Check. Spare batteries. Check. Collapsable self-anchoring self-reeling fishing rod. Check. Worms for bait. Check, and yuck. Hook. Check. Spare hook. Check. Titanium hook. Check. Unbreakable monomolecular fishing line. Check. Sandwiches for lunch. Check. Remote for the Second Chance. Check. And most important of all..." he picks up a bundle about the size of a backpack "...self-inflating rubber dinghy, check."

He glances over the controls again, and pulls the Big Lever - a lever three times as large as any other on the control panel. The warp core promptly rumbles, the swirling gasses inside it begin to swirl faster, and it begins to hum with a slowly rising tone. Electricity crackles up and down the outside of the warp core, and there's a smell of ozone in the air. The light atop the police box lights up. It is clear that any attempt to stop the Professor's plans will have to happen swiftly.

"It is time..." he cries out... "for my first incursion... into TIME!!!!"

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG