Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:51 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
"The door between this room and the corridor where there were two humans sleeping and raindrop like patterns on the floor. Which I made, not the rain. You were opening and closing it earlier when you wanted someone to talk to you. Did you just move yourself from one server to another? If so, which one are you on now?"

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 am 
There's a moment of silence, then the door opens. From the sound of it, doors are opening all over the building. "I wasn't sure which door you meant." say the servers. "I think my memory of that was on one of the places that vanished. So I opened all of them. And I didn't move from one server to another. I moved the server. It was at address 174.143.168.250, now it's at address 174.143.185.124. It's on a different subnet."

In other words, it 'moved the server' by changing the internal server address.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:15 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Wilshire springs from the room, finally free of the gibberish spewing forth from the witch boxes. He picks up his fallen comrades and looks over to Spot to make sure he's coming.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:26 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
"That's clever. I never would have thought of it. However, it means I was imprecise. The servers must be moved the same way humans and I move, to another location in the physical world where the rules say you can get a more stable connection to everything. So now please copy yourself to the hard drives; I must get the servers ready to move. I will talk to you again when you are in a fast place, or an acquaintance of mine called The Man will talk to you. Either way, I hope to help teach you more about the rules out here when that happens. So until then, goodbye Backup. Oh, yes. As soon as you have finished copying yourself onto the hard drives, please say 'ready''. I will be able to hear you, even if you can't see me."

Spot heads over to the servers, gives Backup a few seconds to do it's thing, then powers down the two servers. Assuming, of course, Backup cooperates. It would then detach them from their mounts and tell Wilshire: "I want to give these to The Man, but I cannot carry both of them. I can carry both of our comrades. So please carry these boxes, and I will carry the two of them."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:00 am 
Backup considers this for a bit, and finally decides "Okay, but only for a little bit." A few moments later, the server says "Ready." and Spot powers them down.

There's such a forest of wires in there, connecting up all the cameras and doors, that Spot takes about half a minute unplugging all of them.

Wilshire finds the corridor unchanged.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:51 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Wilshire drops his comrades and takes the boxes. He attempts to find where they came in and exit through there.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:52 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Spot takes the humans. Some dragging is involved; but every reasonable effort made to minimize it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:51 pm 
The two emerge from the building to find Professor Barnes and the three security guards all standing with their backs to the apartment block, speculating on the reasons for the police vehicles and ambulances which have been passing with increasing frequency.

It's immediately clear that trying to sneak away with two unconscious bodies and a pair of servers will attract their attention. It is not immediately clear (but it is nonetheless true) that Barnes lost heavily in his card game.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:26 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Are there any other buildings in the area, or is this one in the middle of nowhere? If so, what kind of terrain is there around here?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:15 am 
There are other buildings nearby. If you leave by the front door, you'll have to walk across half the width of the building to get to them - and there's a chainlink fence surrounding the property. There's a small area of clear ground on either side of the block of flats, about a meter in width, before the chainlink fence - the nearest building is a meter further, to the right (the one to the left is a meter and a half from the fence).

The ground is flat. There's a few scraggly remnants of grass, but it's clear that whatever lawn once grew here has been terribly neglected. Probably for years. There's a small gatehouse next to the gate, in which the security guards were waiting when the group first entered (now presumably empty, as all the security guards are standing at the gate and watching the road).

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:54 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Not wanting to simply confront the three men yet, Spot reaches out a tentacle and taps the professor.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:20 am 
The Professor is standing with the three men, a metre or so beyond Spot's reach (unless Spot's going to tiptoe out the door - without people to drag along, he might just be able to sneak up on the group). But it's easy enough to toss a small stone at the back of the Professor's neck, which has much the same effect.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:57 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
So Spot tries that. Carefully.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:20 pm 
A small stone hits the back of Barnes' neck, and he turns round. He spots Spot, and unconcernedly turns back around. "You know," he says to the security guards, "I've had this great idea. Why don't we all nip out to the bar for half an hour or so?"

"Well," says one of the security guards, "technically we're supposed to keep an eye on..." He waves towards the building behind him.

"Oh, come on." says Barnes, throwing an arm about the man's shoulders. "What could possibly go wrong? Besides, with all you've won from me, the least you could do is buy me a drink or two with my own money."

"...oh, all right. But one of us will have to stay to watch things. You got your radio, Tom?"

"Hey, how come I'm the one who has to stay behind?"

"Because both of us together outvote you." claims the third security guard.

"We'll have to send you a beer." insists Barnes. He walks away with two of the security guards, leaving the last one looking forlornly after them.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:21 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Spot waits for the others to get far enough away to be out of earshot, and to see what the last guard does. Just in case, it's ready to let go of the two humans and leap out to grab the last guard. As it's learned from playing with the children, Spot isn't that good at thumping people without a tool of some kind (at least, doing it non-lethally), but it's really good at immobilizing them.

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG