Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1700 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:37 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
This game is based heavily off the movie Sky High (and also, incidentally, Saved by the Bell), taking place in essentially the same universe. It's been a couple years since the California branch of Sky High nearly crashed to the ground during homecoming, but was saved by several of the students, including the now-famous graduate Fortress, the first super hero to display two distinct super powers, having inherited both of his parents' powers at a much older age than usual.

Super powers tend to be hereditary, though a rare few survivors of accidents (such as radioactive insect bite or baths in toxic ooze) also develop super powers. Most children of super heroes end up going to one of the Sky High campuses, located in California, New York, and Illinois (each one centred, more or less, over the major metropolitan areas of the country.) The campuses themselves are situated on floating platforms above the city, granting the young superheroes acres of empty space where they may learn to control their powers without endangering the citizenry below. After the events of a few years ago, multiple fail-safes have been installed on each campus to prevent a rogue villain from sabotaging them again.

Not everyone with powers is born equal. Most kids start to develop their powers early on, with most manifestations occurring before the age of ten. However, some children of famous heroes never develop powers at all, while others develop powers generally deemed as useless. These students still study at Sky High, but are relegated to the less prestigious "Hero Support" classes; most everyone calls a spade a spade, however, calling them Sidekicks. After the graduation of Fortress from the California branch, Hero Support classes have been integrated into the main curriculum in California; the other branches of Sky High continue the segregation of Heroes and Sidekicks, though Fortress has begun lobbying them to change this.

Sky High is a three-year school, with Freshman, Juniors and Seniors. Characters will be incoming Freshman, fifteen or sixteen years old, mostly with established powers. The curriculum of Sky High focuses on control and responsible use of powers, though math, science, history and other basic courses are often integrated as part of the lessons.

Sky High is a "quasi-public" school. It does not receive government funding, but super children and the children of supers are allowed to enroll for free if they cannot afford tuition. Sky High is mostly funded by private donations, subsidised by tuition, and the whole organisation holds several patents invented by students and faculty. Super-Intelligence is a fairly lucrative super-power.

In general, parents of students at Sky High are less concerned with safety than are normal every-day mortal parents. Their children are entering a dangerous world that they need to be ready for, and most of them are far more resilient than average humans. Plus, Sky High has super-powered healers on staff.

This game will take place at the New York campus of Sky High. Character backgrounds should be sent to me. If you're not familiar with Mutants and Masterminds, or don't want to be bothered doing the stats yourself, send a description of your power and any other unusual things I'd need to know (such as if your character is unusually strong or smart, for instance.)

If you are familiar with the system and want to build your character yourself, build a PL 7 character with a cap on powers of 10; characters may only have one power, though reasonable extras are allowed. All powers in Super You are obvious - any powers that are normally subtle can be bought with the appropriate discount. Invisibility to sight is not allowed (Invisibility to electronics might be.)

If doing your own stating (or if needing inspiration of the non-Sluggite sort), acceptable powers include: Absorption, Blast, Concealment, Dazzle, Deflect, Density, Disintegration, Duplication, (Element) Control, Elongation, Enhanced (Strength+Constitution+Super Strength/Intelligence), ESP, Growth, Immovable, Mimic, Morph, Regeneration (or Healing), Sensory Shield (expect to be a sidekick), Shrinking, several versions of Super-Movement, Super-Senses (but not Pre/Postcognition), Super-Speed, Telekinesis, Teleport

Send characters to me in PMs; introductions and information others should know will be handled in the live thread.

Post subject: Re: Super You, Take Two
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:38 pm 
Hero Points

A large part of the Mutants and Masterminds system are Hero Points, a tool the game uses to, essentially, allow the heroes to perform like true heroes for brief moments. In the game, Hero Points allow players to adjust rolls, shake off damage or fatigue, push their powers beyond their usual limits, or receive a flash of inspiration from the GM. In a forum game, however, only that last one really has any meaning. Therefore, Hero Points in this game will work a little differently.

You each have four Hero Points. Four times per thread, you may spend a Hero Point to seize editorial control; basically, for a single post, you can dictate the pace of action and narrative - within reason. If you want to find just the right clue to solve a mystery, you can use a Hero Point to have it conveniently under the next rock. If you want your power to manifest a new temporary variation, you can spend a Hero Point. If you want to assure your next Rock Blast hits Professor Meanie-Face, you can spend a Hero Point. By spending a Hero Point, you become the GM for a single post. So long as game consequences result from actions made by your character, you can decide what happens.

These points will refresh back to four at the start of each new game thread, and unused points are lost. From time to time, I may grant you bonus Hero Points; generally, if I cause something bad to happen to your character with no way to escape it, you will gain a Hero Point for it. I'll let you know when this is the case.

To use a Hero Point, simply preface your post with a statement along the lines of "I am spending a Hero Point." Then post what happens.

Hopefully, this mechanic will retain the feel of Hero Point in Mutants and Mastermind while working in the free-form, mostly diceless arena of forum play.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:19 pm 
AOL: FritzFrosch85
I am going to play exactly the same character as I played last time.

(snip)

FB, I can send the character sheet back to you, but since you're the one who stated Jimmy up for me last time, do you need it?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:37 pm 
I do, in fact, still have Jimmy's character sheet (and anyone else's that was playing last time.)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:53 pm 
AOL: kiroth6
Um, Hi. To avoid the problems we had last time, I think I should play someone else. It's going to be about a day before I can get my hands on a M&M book though.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:10 pm 
I'm totally in. Will edit in character, background and so forth, later.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:17 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
If Kiroth's playing someone else, can I play the same character (except with gadgets instead of invisibility) I played last time? Without the invisible, I'm sure it'll be less annoying for everyone.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:30 pm 
I'd like to play, but as a slightly different character from last time.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:38 pm 
Sorry Grill, I've got a strict "one law student per game" rule, and Kiroth was here first.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:46 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
Aww.

Fine! I'll do my schoolwork, then.

Meanie.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:49 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I'm not a law student, mind if I join?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:05 pm 
Note: I have the character sheets (stats and such) for old characters. I do not have backgrounds for them.

Non-law students are welcome.

Also, if stuck or trying to do it yourself, please see addition made to the first post (it's a big list, shouldn't be hard to miss.)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:07 pm 
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
Do I count as a law student? I graduated months ago.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:28 pm 
Are you currently enrolled in law school? Do you have classes you should be attending?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:38 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Mind going into a bit of detail about the Enhanced super power you have listed?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1700 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG