Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ] 

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:57 pm 
Ouch, Buck's engineering roll went badly.

This implies one of two things. Either Buck needs a new plan, or someone's going to need to invoke an aspect.

To invoke an aspect, you spend a Fate point and tell me how that aspect will help you in your chosen task. This gains either a +2 bonus or a reroll. (A +2 bonus will be enough to allow Buck to finish in half an hour). Either Buck or Kip can invoke an aspect, as they're both working on the car.

Alternatively, either Buck or Kip can tag an aspect, which works exactly the same way except the aspect in question belongs to the scene, or to an NPC, or similar. This involves a bit of guesswork, but generally, there's no penalty for guessing wrong (the only penalty is if it's a plot point that the guess was wrong, and then it's one Fate point for finding that out).

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:05 pm 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
How's that? Is the in character explanation good, or would you like a PM?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:23 pm 
In this case, the in-character explanation is good enough. (In other cases, I reserve the option of asking for a PM) That'll give you a +2 to the roll (or a reroll, but since the +2 is guaranteed to be enough and the reroll isn't I'll assume you want the +2).

You can invoke aspects either before or after a roll. If failing the roll isn't as so dire as in this case, though, I generally won't allow invocations after the roll (in order to keep the game moving). But those +2s from tagging and invocation are extremely powerful, and you can use them on any roll that your Aspects fit. Remember that in the future...

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:16 pm 
Thanks for the save Dom.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:18 pm 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
It makes sense for our characters, and I hadn't been able to use a Fate point yet. : )

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:01 pm 
Can I spend a fate point to declare the dumpster having at least 3 paper towel rolls, a mop head, and something to use for a tail? Then make some poor facsimile of a cat using my art skill?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 pm 
Yes to all.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:49 am 
If Napoleon had had Fate points, he would have asked for nails too.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:49 pm 
So Buck and Kip are building a cage out of copper thread. Who is piloting the airship, who is running along the ground hammering in nails, and who, if anyone, is spending Fate points to speed up the construction of Project Birdcage?

I should also point out that picking locks falls under Burglary.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:54 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
What's the cage setup like -- i.e., can Avery see into, or squeeze into, adjacent cages? Or at least holler across to talk to neighboring occupants?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:13 pm 
The cages form one solid vertical wall, slightly curved. They have solid sides, back, top and bottom, and a post of wise mesh arrangement non the front. Avery cannot therefore squeeze into another cage from here, though she can holler across to and nearby one. She can also fit an arm or a tail through the mesh and climb up it like a ladder to better talk to the cage above her, should she so desire.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:15 am 
Umm, 2 questions:
1) Why was I not allowed a stealth roll? I said I was attempting to sneak out while their attention was elsewhere.
2) Since we're in the cage, is it possible for me to pick the lock to let us out?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:04 am 
1:A stealth roll in a well-lit, clear area (like the space between the robot dogs and the cages) is made at a -4 penalty. On top of that, the Claws are attached to a camera system which cannot be distracted; getting past it unseen is a flat difficulty of 3.

Hex has a stealth skill of +1. The highest possible roll is +4. Success at sneaking by without the Claws system spotting him was impossible. Sneaking by without the Claws catching him was possible, but that's Athletics.

Sneaking is more useful where there's either more cover or less light; if you can arrange for this room to be dark, then it becomes a lot more useful (you can get a +4 bonus if no-one can see their hands in front of their faces).

2: Yes. The lock has a difficulty of 0; the Professor went with the cheapest ones he could get in bulk. And unlike a cat, Hex can fit his arms (or his tail) out through the mesh to reach the lock.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:57 pm 
Where's Dom gotten to? haven't seen him about lately. Am I just missing him or what?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:18 pm 
CCC wrote:
1:A stealth roll in a well-lit, clear area (like the space between the robot dogs and the cages) is made at a -4 penalty. On top of that, the Claws are attached to a camera system which cannot be distracted; getting past it unseen is a flat difficulty of 3.

Hex has a stealth skill of +1. The highest possible roll is +4. Success at sneaking by without the Claws system spotting him was impossible. Sneaking by without the Claws catching him was possible, but that's Athletics.

Sneaking is more useful where there's either more cover or less light; if you can arrange for this room to be dark, then it becomes a lot more useful (you can get a +4 bonus if no-one can see their hands in front of their faces).

2: Yes. The lock has a difficulty of 0; the Professor went with the cheapest ones he could get in bulk. And unlike a cat, Hex can fit his arms (or his tail) out through the mesh to reach the lock.

Ok, so how many arms are there?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 139 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG