Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ] 

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:09 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Little overwhelmed with finance stuff. I'll be posting tomorrow, possibly from class if it's all review again.

So whose gonna post RS so I can see whose still in it? O_o

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:00 pm 
AOL: Krail9
Whoah, what? I thought we were battling teachers next!

I was sorta waiting on that for something in particular, you know?

I was hoping to have Caliga designing the weapons, not Elliot... Elliot would be more likely to make some sort of stupid plasma pistol that doesn't fight their fighting style at all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:47 pm 
AOL: GillenZiel
Krail, you could have a portion of Caliga's personality seep through Elliot's sub-conscious during weapon creation if need be... or somthing like that. Meh, just a thought.

Anywho, I'm still in the game, and so is Shrouded, but both of us had our weekend completly taken up by other events. I'm working on my RS post as of right now.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:37 pm 
Still a smidge behind, and I'd rather put some extra work in my presentation as opposed to post KK tonight. My apologies, now please excuse me while I put on some armor, I can feel Sal aiming something large and explosive at me...

Krail, we spoke since you posted that, and we have our plan.

I'd really like more people to check in with RS, but in either case I'll post again in the next few days. I'm thinking we can work out the basic setup for your weapons and then do a real RP battle with some 5th years. Without rolls, so long as everyone gets back into posting, it should go quick.

Talezine if you want back in, I suggest posting within the next few days.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:06 pm 
AOL: shroudedtraveler
:: Opens his left eye ::

:: Opens his right eye ::

'Huh? ... Blarghle.'

:: Pulls his brain out of his head and dusts it off ::

'Guess I should see if I can remember how to use this...'

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:29 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: scygnus_darkhawk
AOL: Scyngus3535
*can't say it*

*must resist...*

*Ugh... can't... must...*

It's only a flesh wound! :sam:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:46 pm 
I was given a very cool, colorful, musical game today. It's called Audio Surf, and it's available on Steam. It's extremely fun, as it takes any music on your system and puts you on a race track with a neat car/ship where you race along to the music, collecting colored blocks to the notes of the song. It can be easy, but it was a ton of different modes and fast songs like Dragon Force are incredible.

You can even sign up your email to compare your scores to buddy and people round the world ^^

If anyone's into music, I recommends it.

I'll be update most, if not all RPG's tonight, as it's all RP right now. But first, some homeworks.

Laters!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:29 pm 
Advice: Nikopol is NOT a good starter song >_<

EDIT: Also, Butterfly, the DDR version? Also a very bad idea.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:52 pm 
AOL: GillenZiel
Hey Crake, when Hebi speaks can other hear that? Or is it some sort of psychic link sort of deal?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:28 pm 
Take two parts RPG, mix it with one part Dating Sim Mechanics, stir vigorously and sprinkle in some drama. Once it's done baking, spread a layer of horror, suspense, and utter freakiness on top.

Persona 3... it's like playing an anime. An anime that's somehow combined 'Slice of Life', 'Horror/Suspense', 'Drama', 'Romance', 'Action', and 'Fantasy' together seamlessly. Oh, and a touch of Comedy, but that's Elizabeth.

The Persona system will keep you on your toes as far as fighting goes, since there's a pretty good chance that you'll end up on the receiving end of a can of whoopass if you pick the wrong Persona for the enemy.

For those that have played it, I'm just past the first semester exams, about to head to Yakushima.

Bi-ki-ni! Bi-ki-ni! Bi-ki-ni! Bi-ki-ni!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:02 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Question. Fez or no? If no Fez, then why no Fez?

I've played through Persona 3 and found it to be a very enjoyable game - somewhat mindless at times when fighting through Tartarus, but the gameplay was good enough to overcome that.

I bought Persona 3: Fez and am just waiting for an opportune time to play it. Additional game content plus an entire new arc for the win.

Oh, and ironically enough... 'Dating sim' games generally are nothing like that. But it does fit the stereotypical view of what Americans think dating sim games are.

Many, if not most eroge don't have the obvious choice of 'speak with this girl here'. Instead, it is 'make this decision, see where it leads'. Though that said, the more well known pure love games - Da Capo, To Heart being top of that list - do have the aspect of 'choose the girl'. On one hand it makes things easier on a player, but personally I think it detracts from the story a bit. I prefer the choices to be a bit more natural in nature.

And now I go back to BiFronte, an eroge that is managing to scare me. Happy days.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:07 am 
I was speaking more of the 'Social Stats' mechanic and the choices of what to say, which, believe it or not, are not always clear-cut. The "Dating Sim" is the only thing I could directly compare the social mechanic of the game with.

For the reference of those who haven't played P3, I'll explain. Each Persona and Shadow(Enemy monster thing) correspond to one of the High Arcana. The Fool, Chariot, Tower, Death, Emperor, Empress, etc. Each of the High Arcana correspond to a certain Social Link. By enhancing your bond with various characters, both within and outside of your fighting party, any Persona you fuse that has that Arcana gains a massive amount of experience, depending on the level of the Social Link. A level ten(Maxed) S. Link will give a freshly fused persona five levels of experience, which is VERY nice, since your Persona's stats are the only ones you get.

And a maxed S. Link will also net you a random-seeming item. That random-seeming item, however, unlocks the top Persona of each Arcana. For example, maxing the Chariot S. Link (with Kazushi of the Kendo Team for me) nets you Sports Tape, which is used to bind strains and whatnot. But as long as you have that, you can fuse your way up to Thor, who isn't otherwise accessible.

The reward for maxing all S. Links in one playthrough is the "Colorless Mask" which allows you to create a fully-powered Orpheus Tellos, who I understand is basically (nearly) invincible and possesses the second-strongest spell in the game. The strongest spell I believe is called Armageddon, costs all SP, and it kills everything in one hit, including the hidden super-secret-boss. Time being limited to one year, however, makes it a difficult thing to do, quite possibly impossible on the initial playthrough.

The social mechanic is actually the most interesting part of the game, I think. The story is good, but you get it so slowly because of the month in-between most events. Tartarus is all randomly-generated, excepting boss floors. You know what that means... for a given section it all... looks... the same... The only thing that livens it up is when you hear "I sense Death!" and chains rattling, which is your signal to get the hell out of dodge. I, for one, have yet to face the Reaper, and do not plan to do so until I hit level 70 at least.

So yeah, even though the dungeoning is monotonous, the leveling aspect and its intricate link with your social links makes it interesting. I suspect that once I start a second playthrough, the dungeoning will finally take a back seat, only coming up to complete Elizabeth's requests and when I start to challenge the Reaper and the secret floors.

As far as actual dating goes... hm, commentary on that is actually one of the posts that got me wanting to play P3. I was shown a picture of the Main Character, and had to ask if it was male or female. I was told not to insult him, because he was Herr Uberpimp. Six women, if you play your cards right. Plus two with crushes.

Though right now for me, it's just Yuko. She's cute. And technically Elizabeth, who is also cute, not to mention fscking hilarious.

And yes Fez. Never picked up the original release. Grabbed FES when all my friends on the other forum started freaking out about it.

EDIT: OH, and before I forget again... Gurren Lagann freaks that were not aware of it yet, DOUBLE K! is pretty freaking awesome. Buddy-cop-show-comic starring Kamina and Kittan. Not even really started yet, but what's there's pretty good. Best use of a trash can ever. And only Kamina would have a "GO TIME!" button on his car keys.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:23 am 
... Isn't customary to finish a game before you give a review-esque statement on it?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:26 am 
I was bored. And finishing it is going to be some time coming. I estimate that the first playthrough is going to take somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred hours. Unless they start handing me some freaking higher ranked Wand cards more often.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:57 am 
100 hours? Ack... Up until that comment was made, it might have been possible to get me to buy the thing eventually.

I guess I should thank you for that actually...

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 140 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG