Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments

Post Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:21 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: squeakymewmew
Hi all. It's been a while. :)

I've been hosting Sluggypics over on my servers for about 6 years now, although I've been "on hiatus" from the community for nearly the entire time. Sluggypics Traffic has pretty much dropped off to nothing but bots & spammers. The last new photo was uploaded in December of 2009. At the time naraht started the project in '03 there were very few options for hosting images online, especially with any sort of privacy restrictions. However, with the advent of sites like Flickr and Picasa there really is no need for Sluggypics and all of the site maintenance and whack-a-bot that goes with it. It's time for the project to come to an end.

I do not want to just pull the rug out from under everyone as I know a few of you are still hosting images there. So, I'll hold off on shutting the site down until the end of 2010 to give everyone time to move/save their photos or figure out if someone else wants to take the project over.

If you are interested in taking it over, please be aware that it requires about 315MB of storage and uses about 250-330MB of bandwidth monthly. It requires PHP/Mysql and is currently using SMF forums software for the text-based stuff bridged to an old version of Coppermine gallery for the images. I'm happy to send a tarball of the whole thing over to any willing new hosts.

I'll be watching this thread for now so feel free to reply with questions. I'll also turn PM notifications back on for the next few weeks just in case.

*squeaks*
*falls over*

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:43 am 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
SQUEAKYMEWMEW!

Thanks for the heads up. I have a LOT of stuff saved over there, and really appreciate the chance to move it to my hard drive.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:52 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Thanks for hosting it over the years. I went and grabbed all the Exquisite Corpses I'd been part of. :)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:44 pm 
Yes, I have a squeekymewmew over in long-term storage at sluggy pics that I'd really like to move back into active use...

Geez, is it really 6 years since you were an active poster here? That can't be correct!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:05 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: squeakymewmew
5 1/2 years since I started my current job. So, 6 years since I left #sluggysquad and even longer since I was active on the forums. I do not rule out an eventual return. However, I fear the evolved mythos of mewmew is far more interesting than the reality. These days I barely even have time to read the posts on my own forums, let alone reading any webcomics or writing filks.

/quick hugs to inspy, alt-torg & kitoba/ Miss you guys! Thanks for remembering me!

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments