Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments

Post subject: Re: Board Upgrade
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:09 pm 
AxelFendersson wrote:
On the avatar placement, when Soton Gamesoc migrated to PhpBB3 a few months ago, we all grumbled about having avatars and such over on the right. It seemed all horrible and back-to-front and not right at all. For about a month. Then we got used to it, and realised that it didn't actually make much difference.
Yeah, but I'm still glad they built-in the two themes that they did. So we fuddy-duddy-old-types can have our less-pretty-but-more-familiar layout while providing the new prettied-up interface if one so chooses. I gotta tell ya, the first time I built a phpBB3 site and got a look at the new default theme I thought my eyes were going to explode.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:15 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Wile E wrote:
Request: I need someone not currently a member of the POOP usergroup to see if they can request to join the group.

Done. Control Panel says that my membership is "pending."

Looks like the BBCode problem I was having is fixed. Thanks, folks!

--tll

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:48 pm 
AOL: Dodger724
Whoa.[/keanu]

Well, I must admit, I was jarred by the prosilver theme. Especially because the monitor I'm on right now is a lot wider then it is tall so avatars on the right felt really unnatural.

Post counts again eh? I'd really thought we'd seen the last of them. And I'm sorry, I had to check, 69th on the post counts list. Even RTC still has more then me, and she hasn't posted in what, 2 years now?

Thank god they kept subsilver. I don't know what I would do with myself if they didn't. It just isn't sluggy.net if it's not subsilver. Well, that's not strictly true. I did eventually manage to get used to those brown colors we had a while back, but i was happy to go right back to subsilver again.

What REALLY bugs me is all the links have moved around. It took me forever to find the user control panel link. And now that it's just "Board Index" instead of "Sluggite Zone Index" that link is a lot harder to find. Ah well, I suppose those will be the easiest things to adjust to.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:54 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
I've stuck with the new layout, and I quite like it now. Everyone around here are such conservative fuddy duddies. Change is good! Haven't you been listening to Obama? [changezombie]Change....change....change. [/changezombie]

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:01 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Change is only good when things aren't working. That's why the mods like the new boards - things weren't working for them, and the new board version provides them with a lot of new tools to make things easier for them - but from the user standpoint, everything was just fine, so the change simply wasn't needed.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:13 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: PlatonicBathos
Change is good.

Dollars* are better.

*Your currency may vary.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:54 pm 
the root of all evil
the root of all evil
AOL: rit+0042
SaveTheGreyhounds wrote:
Change is good.

Dollars* are better.

*Your currency may vary.

Uh,

Have you SEEN the Dollar lately? The CANADIAN dollar is worth more than the US dollar.

I prefer to be paid in Euros, thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:57 pm 
Hey does any one remember this thread? Because, well, 4/5ths of the OP seems to be missing. And I was kind of wondering why.

Last edited by Dodger77 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:11 pm 
the root of all evil
the root of all evil
AOL: rit+0042
May have gotten truncated, possibly due to conversion issues.

I'll try to dig into the old database to grab the original post, if i have time.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:13 pm 
Oops, I forgot to mention I have a back up actually. I'll restore it. Thanks though :-) It kinda makes me wonder what else got truncated though.

edit: Gorram it, they changed the search function somehow. It seems to be not working nearly as well as it used to. *grumble grumble*

Last edited by Dodger77 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:35 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: Ahava+Ramier
I had one of those instant "oh my god what did they do!" moments. But I've since calmed down.

I'm trying to get used to the avs and things on the right, but I do like the smoother lines of this version. I still wish I could go back and change the color scheme to something darker like I had a few years ago (like five or six or so). But I'll get completely over that.

weeeee

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:14 am 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
WLM: DesertSongDog
AOL: DesertSongDog
The Lost, Lurking wrote:
Wile E wrote:
Request: I need someone not currently a member of the POOP usergroup to see if they can request to join the group.

Done. Control Panel says that my membership is "pending."

Looks like the BBCode problem I was having is fixed. Thanks, folks!

--tll

Thanks, you're approved, whether you wanted it or not. :sasha:
I still get the email notifying me of a pending member but the only place I can see pending members is in the ACP. I used to be able to see them and approve them in the link on the board. It makes me wonder how a group with a non-admin would approve new members. But POOP is the only forum like that for now so I guess it's no big deal.

FreakyBoy wrote:
Change is only good when things aren't working. That's why the mods like the new boards - things weren't working for them, and the new board version provides them with a lot of new tools to make things easier for them - but from the user standpoint, everything was just fine, so the change simply wasn't needed.

Many things weren't working. It doesn't matter if it only affected the mods because that still affects the entire boards. We also had an old, less secure version of the board and even if there were no other issues that was reason enough to upgrade.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:36 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
Wile E wrote:
Many things weren't working. It doesn't matter if it only affected the mods because that still affects the entire boards. We also had an old, less secure version of the board and even if there were no other issues that was reason enough to upgrade.

You're absolutely right that the upgrade was justified, Wile E. But FB's point, I think, is that it's difficult for us mere users to appreciate the new features, since so few of them are actually accessible to us. You say you have all kinds of new toys, but I have no idea what these are. All I saw when I visited the page before work was a completely reformatted board. It scared me, and I needed to go to work, so I closed it and went to work. After work, I was expecting it, so it wasn't such a shock, and I avoided complaint posts because I agree, they're not very productive.

If security is better, and the mods are happier because of all their new toys, then I'm happy. But I would like for it to open a new tab (or window) when I click on a link here, like it used to. I don't like losing my place in the thread I'm reading just because I want to check out someone's linky.

All-in-all, I'm basically happy with the new version, though I am using the subsilver2 profile instead of prosilver. Like many others, I prefer familiarity to novelty most of the time.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:04 am 
ACME Sales Rep.
ACME Sales Rep.
WLM: DesertSongDog
AOL: DesertSongDog
Grillick wrote:
Wile E wrote:

You're absolutely right that the upgrade was justified, Wile E. But FB's point, I think, is that it's difficult for us mere users to appreciate the new features, since so few of them are actually accessible to us. You say you have all kinds of new toys, but I have no idea what these are. All I saw when I visited the page before work was a completely reformatted board. It scared me, and I needed to go to work, so I closed it and went to work. After work, I was expecting it, so it wasn't such a shock, and I avoided complaint posts because I agree, they're not very productive.

If security is better, and the mods are happier because of all their new toys, then I'm happy. But I would like for it to open a new tab (or window) when I click on a link here, like it used to. I don't like losing my place in the thread I'm reading just because I want to check out someone's linky.

All-in-all, I'm basically happy with the new version, though I am using the subsilver2 profile instead of prosilver. Like many others, I prefer familiarity to novelty most of the time.

I'm sure stuff like opening links in a new tab can be tweaked. Many of the complaints are actually relatively minor and some of them are things that could be handled on the users end, like changing the style to the more familiar subsilver which eliminates two of the main complaints (not liking the new theme and avatars on the right). It's the way the complaints were presented that was frustrating. No one likes their hard work being nitpicked to death.

As for features, two of the user features I noticed right away are the "online" banner on poster's. I liked that feature on another board, it's nice to know that you may get a response to your post or PM right away. Also, I wanted a "Report Post" button which we now have. Hopefully we won't need to use it often but still it's nice to have. There is also better potential to add other new features for users (like the dice roller) than with the old board.

All the new Admin features means that I don't have to spend hours per day checking out all the new users, deleting the obvious spammers, banning their domains and IP's, and sending "please confirm you're human" emails to all the other new users. We now have features that keep most of them out to begin with and I can add a couple other things to prevent the others from posting their craps on the main boards. I can then remove the admin approval for new accounts and legit new users can join faster. This will free up a lot of my time so I can actually work on some other ideas (hopefully ones that will be fun for everyone), like a contest I have wanted to do for a while.

Finally, I think another main complaint was that you didn't get any warning. The plan had been to give you some warning, however rit went ahead and did the upgrade quickly, because he did have a security concern. I didn't even get much warning. So apologies for the lack of warning but it couldn't be helped.

Since we have covered the new theme and rapid upgrade with no warning can we now move on to just reporting any problems or feature requests, so we can concentrate on those things?

Here's what has been requested or reported:
Themes: If you don't like the new prosilver switch to subsilver in your user control panel. rit will look into adding other themes.
Post Counts:Will be removed as soon as possible. Please try not to look at them and obsess over them.
Smilies and BBCode not working in certain forums: I believe this has been resolved.
Dice Roller request: rit will look into this.
Quotation Marks causing accented characters: Looking into this.
Links opening in new tab: Will look into this.

Did I miss anything already mentioned?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:06 am 
Nifty Admin of Doom
Nifty Admin of Doom
well, one feature that should make everyone happy is tools to help us avoid those icky spammers!

I'm old school too, I switched to subsilver and my life is happy.

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments